PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain Campaign Fumes Over Paterson's Racism Claim

Bill Parcells
09-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Sep 9, 2008 7:06 pm US/Eastern
McCain Campaign Fumes Over Paterson's Racism Claim
Says Governor's Charges Are 'Bordering On Desperation'
Reporting
Don Dahler ALBANY (CBS) ― On Monday, Gov. David Paterson angered some state lawmakers by comparing them to vampires, calling them a bunch of "blood suckers." On Tuesday, he raised eyebrows again, and tempers, by accusing the John McCain campaign of veiled racism.

At the Crain's Business Forum this morning, Paterson drew attention to a phrase used numerous times by speakers at the Republican National Convention to describe Barack Obama's leadership experience: community organizer.

"I think the Republican Party is too smart to call Barack Obama 'black' in a sense that it would be a negative. But you can take something about his life, which I noticed they did at the Republican Convention a 'community organizer.' They kept saying it, they kept laughing," he said.

Paterson referred to McCain's running mate Sarah Palin who compared her work experience to Obama's.

"So I suppose a small town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except with real responsibilities," she said at the convention.

Paterson sees the repeated use of the words "community organizer" as Republican code for "black".

"I think where there are overtones is when there are uses of language that are designed to inhibit other people's progress with a subtle reference to their race," he said.

But the McCain/Palin campaign quickly fired back in a statement, saying: "It is disappointing that Governor Paterson would launch accusations of racism. Governor Palin's remarks about Barack Obama's work as a community organizer was in response to the Obama campaign's belittling of her executive experience."

The statement goes on to point out Sarah Palin's own experience of civic involvement and says Paterson's comments are "a sure sign of a flailing campaign that is bordering on desperation".

Paterson raises the question of whether the Presidential race has become desperate or devious.

"At this point, Americans wouldn't tolerate a racial appeal. What I'm saying is that there are sneaky ways to try to hurt someone," he said.

Paterson does say he's not certain that's happening.

But what disturbed him was what seemed like derisive laughter on the part of the Republicans at Obama's choice of helping his community rather than getting rich on Wall Street.

Paterson is New York state's first black governor.

Looks like the race card has finally been pulled (http://wcbstv.com/politics/paterson.mccain.palin.2.813646.html)

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2008, 06:23 AM
How uppity of him.

penchief
09-10-2008, 06:41 AM
There's an awful lot of fuming and righteous indignation coming out of the McCain camp these days. What's up with that? Why do they like playing the victim card? Is that a winning strategy for the macho republicans? Or is it a whining strategy?

Seems strange that Obama would rise above the direct personal attacks of McCain and Palin while McCain runs around looking for things to whine about and intentionally takes other things out of context so that he can go kicking and screaming to the corporate media in order to create a mountain out of a mole hill.

Republicans don't care about issues. They take an issue that is important to the public and they lie right to the public's face repeatedly ("I said thanks but no thanks to the bridge to nowhere."). Then they whine like little bitches to the corporate media about made up stuff because they know that the corporate media will keep its scrutiny focused on the faux outrage as opposed to the blatant lies they are tellilng.

We're going to deserve what this country gets. We're too stupid to take our country back from the business crooks and war profiteers who have stolen it.

Mecca
09-10-2008, 07:10 AM
They're the victims, everything is being spun that way meanwhile they release ads saying Obama is into teaching kids sex ed that make him look like a sexual predator....

McCain is literally Bush Version 2.0

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2008, 07:16 AM
"I didn't spend five years in a cage to be treated like this. I spent five years in a cage to be treated well. Like the way Charles Keating treated me with those free vacations and plane trips and stuff".

Infidel Goat
09-10-2008, 07:19 AM
http://koam.images.worldnow.com/images/238816_G.jpg

Baby Lee
09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Clay Davis, heh.

Shheeeeeiiittttt!!!!

ROYC75
09-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Paterson is an idiot ....... So what's new ?

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
I guess if Barack called Palin a pig, then McCain's campaign is indeed using subtle racism.

Dick Bull
09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
I guess if Barack called Palin a pig, then McCain's campaign is indeed using subtle racism.

this is getting ugly/interesting

RINGLEADER
09-10-2008, 07:47 AM
There's an awful lot of fuming and righteous indignation coming out of the McCain camp these days. What's up with that? Why do they like playing the victim card? Is that a winning strategy for the macho republicans? Or is it a whining strategy?

Seems strange that Obama would rise above the direct personal attacks of McCain and Palin while McCain runs around looking for things to whine about and intentionally takes other things out of context so that he can go kicking and screaming to the corporate media in order to create a mountain out of a mole hill.

Republicans don't care about issues. They take an issue that is important to the public and they lie right to the public's face repeatedly ("I said thanks but no thanks to the bridge to nowhere."). Then they whine like little bitches to the corporate media about made up stuff because they know that the corporate media will keep its scrutiny focused on the faux outrage as opposed to the blatant lies they are tellilng.

We're going to deserve what this country gets. We're too stupid to take our country back from the business crooks and war profiteers who have stolen it.

Obama has done his fair share of whining and I'd agree to disagree with you on some of your points but when it comes to the stupidity of begging for apologies for stupid statements about lipstick I agree with you completely.

That said, I don't see this as Obama playing a race card. They're just assanine comments from one of his supporters.

ROYC75
09-10-2008, 07:55 AM
this is getting ugly/interesting

True ....

penchief
09-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Obama has done his fair share of whining and I'd agree to disagree with you on some of your points but when it comes to the stupidity of begging for apologies for stupid statements about lipstick I agree with you completely.

That said, I don't see this as Obama playing a race card. They're just assanine comments from one of his supporters.

I agree that Obama has tried to address some of the personal attacks directly through the media. But it is my opinion that he has done so in a much more dignified way. McCain seems to want to create a media circus out of things he perceives will yield a political benefit even if he has to exaggerate, paint them as something they are not, or take them out of context.

One seems to be trying to speak directly to the public while the other seems to be trying to play the refs.

***SPRAYER
09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Who gives a shit. He's not gonna win NY anyway.

LOCOChief
09-10-2008, 08:59 AM
code word for black? communtiy organizer couldn't possibly be a code word for black, because it doesn't describe what a majority of black community does. Do we assume that most blacks are community organizers? I think not.

Obama campaign started the critisism of the Palin ticket by saying she lacks experience and touted his own experience as a community organizer.

No more ****ing double standards that goes out to all you community organizers out there.

***SPRAYER
09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Anybody read Ralph Ellison's The Invisible Man?