PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues "You can put lipstick on a pig..."

Portlantis
09-10-2008, 10:52 AM
John McCain, talking about Hillary Clinton's health plan, October 11, 2007.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMPYkNQlJMM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMPYkNQlJMM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, but everybody knows Hillary is Muslim and hates pork products.

patteeu
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Does McCain describing a health care plan as a "pig" give license to Obama to suggest that Gov. Palin is a "pig"? If not, what's the point of this thread?

Saggysack
09-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Does McCain describing a health care plan as a "pig" give license to Obama to suggest that Gov. Palin is a "pig"? If not, what's the point of this thread?

Well, she is either a pig or a self described dog. Which do you prefer?

patteeu
09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, she is either a pig or a self described dog. Which do you prefer?

I'd leave it up to her.

Portlantis
09-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Well, the point is that Obama didn't describe Palin as a pig. He described McCain/Palin's policies as a pig. The complete quote, minus some stuttering, ahs and ums, was:

"John McCain says he's about change too. Except for economic policy, healthcare policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy, and Karl-Rove-style politics, we're really gonna shake things up in Washington.

That's not change.

That's just calling the same thing something different.

But you know, you can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPd4yk0x-eg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPd4yk0x-eg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

To take the lipstick comment out of context and imply he was referring to Palin is just as wrongheaded as it would be to take McCain's out of context and imply he was referring to Clinton.

jAZ
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
At least Jake gets credit for being completely honest about this situation.
LMAO... the media is 100% wrapped up in this Obama gaffe... damage has been done... next please..

patteeu is trying to amplify the lie.

Hog Farmer
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
This is bullshit. I've put lipstick on a pig! I've put lipstick on lots of pigs.

patteeu
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Well, the point is that Obama didn't describe Palin as a pig. He described McCain/Palin's policies as a pig. The complete quote, minus some stuttering, ahs and ums, was:

"John McCain says he's about change too. Except for economic policy, healthcare policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy, and Karl-Rove-style politics, we're really gonna shake things up in Washington.

That's not change.

That's just calling the same thing something different.

But you know, you can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig."

To take the lipstick comment out of context and imply he was referring to Palin is just as wrongheaded as it would be to take McCain's out of context and imply he was referring to Clinton.

How does showing an old video of McCain using this phrase make the point that Obama wasn't calling Palin a pig?

patteeu
09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
patteeu is trying to amplify the lie.

It seems to me that this thread did the amplifying.

Portlantis
09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
How does showing an old video of McCain using this phrase make the point that Obama wasn't calling Palin a pig?

You're right. I worded that badly. The video is meant to show my disbelief at the fact that Obama is being admonished for the exact same thing McCain said about a year ago.

My reply to your first comment was meant to refute your claim that Obama was calling Palin a pig. He was actually referring to McCain and Palin's Bush-like policies.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
This is bullshit. I've put lipstick on a pig! I've put lipstick on lots of pigs.

we know what you've done to your pigs

Carlota69
09-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Pat, come on. Obama didnt call her a pig. Seriously, have you not read or heard the context of the speech Obama was giving? Why are continuning on this road? You're smarter than that. John Sydney said the same thing in regards to Hillarys healthcare plan. come one. Enough already. This is un****ingbelievable.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Jesus christ

The fact that this is even an issue is an insult to our intelligence and is sickening that it is not seen as such.

You show me where he said Palin is a pig

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Pat, come on. Obama didnt call her a pig. Seriously, have you not read or heard the context of the speech Obama was giving? Why are continuning on this road? You're smarter than that. John Sydney said the same thing in regards to Hillarys healthcare plan. come one. Enough already. This is un****ingbelievable.

I'm beginning to believe that the repubs are so delusional that they would be alright with buying into a lie, just to see their guy win.

penchief
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM

See, there you go. Obama wasn't doing anything different than McCain. I agree with Obama. You can't put lipstick on the same old right wing ideology, the same old elitist economic policies, and the same old politics of personal destruction and call it change.

IMO, for you to claim that he's personally attacking Palin is dishonest on your part. Either that or you don't know any better.

patteeu
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
You're right. I worded that badly. The video is meant to show my disbelief at the fact that Obama is being admonished for the exact same thing McCain said about a year ago.

My reply to your first comment was meant to refute your claim that Obama was calling Palin a pig. He was actually referring to McCain and Palin's Bush-like policies.

I didn't say that Obama called Palin a pig. Whether he did or not, that is the current controversy. Since your thread didn't seem (to me at least) to be an argument against the premise of the controversy, I assumed it must be some kind of justification. I'll take your word for it that you intended to attack the premise though, even though I didn't recognize it as such and I still don't see how it makes the case in any way.

penchief
09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm beginning to believe that the repubs are so delusional that they would be alright with buying into a lie, just to see their guy win.

It's called cognitive dissonance and the republican party is bursting at the seams with it.

patteeu
09-10-2008, 11:57 AM

I didn't say he called her a pig.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I didn't say that Obama called Palin a pig. Whether he did or not, that is the current controversy. Since your thread didn't seem (to me at least) to be an argument against the premise of the controversy, I assumed it must be some kind of justification. I'll take your word for it that you intended to attack the premise though, even though I didn't recognize it as such and I still don't see how it makes the case in any way.

I think his point is it is a common phrase used by even Mccain himself. The fact that the repubs jumped all over this like they did just goes to show how they're planning on using palin in the first place. Keep her quiet except when scripted, have her play on the hearts and minds of female voters, and then act like the big victim when people dare say something about her. The only problem is the repubs should have waited until there was something that could have been portrayed as harsh in the first place. IMO, they just jumped offsides.

patteeu
See, there you go. Obama wasn't doing anything different than McCain. I agree with Obama. You can't put lipstick on the same old right wing ideology, the same old elitist economic policies, and the same old politics of personal destruction and call it change.

IMO, for you to claim that he's personally attacking Palin is dishonest on your part. Either that or you don't know any better.

You're mistaken.

Ultra Peanut
I AM SOOOOOO FAUX-ANGRY RIGHT NOW

J Diddy
You're mistaken.

So is McCain attacking hillary?

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
You're mistaken.

Was he referring to Palin?

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I AM SOOOOOO FAUX-ANGRY RIGHT NOW

don't unleash the internet anger

Donger
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Based on the reaction from the crowd Barack Hussein was speaking to, I'd say it's pretty clear the message they took away from it.

IMO, Barack Hussein was taking a little shot at Palin. It's not that big a deal.

patteeu
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I think his point is it is a common phrase used by even Mccain himself. The fact that the repubs jumped all over this like they did just goes to show how they're planning on using palin in the first place. Keep her quiet except when scripted, have her play on the hearts and minds of female voters, and then act like the big victim when people dare say something about her. The only problem is the repubs should have waited until there was something that could have been portrayed as harsh in the first place. IMO, they just jumped offsides.

Everyone knows it's a common phrase. The relevant question though, isn't whether McCain has used it in the past, but whether or not it is a phrase that Obama typically uses. If he has used the phrase with any regularity in the past then it's probably just an innocent, albeit politically tone-deaf, coincidence. If he doesn't normally use the phrase, then there remains some question about "why now?". Let's be honest, it's the kind of phrase used by people who cling to guns and religion not by people who spend their time hobnobbing with the San Franscisco liberal elite.

patteeu
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
So is McCain attacking hillary?

Of course not.

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Based on the reaction from the crowd Barack Hussein was speaking to, I'd say it's pretty clear the message they took away from it.

IMO, Barack Hussein was taking a little shot at Palin. It's not that big a deal.So you're saying the Republicans are overreacting in the hopes of scoring political points as a result of an innocuous comment?

HolmeZz
09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Everyone knows it's a common phrase. The relevant question though, isn't whether McCain has used it in the past, but whether or not it is a phrase that Obama typically uses. If he has used the phrase with any regularity in the past then it's probably just an innocent, albeit politically tone-deaf, coincidence. If he doesn't normally use the phrase, then there remains some question about "why now?". Let's be honest, it's the kind of phrase used by people who cling to guns and religion not by people who spend their time hobnobbing with the San Franscisco liberal elite.

He had used the phrase before and it wasn't the only analogy he used. He said something like 'if you wrap a dead fish in a paper called change, it's still going to sink'.

He wasn't friggin' talking about Palin, he was trying to sound folksy. He was likely campaigning in a rural area.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:06 PM

So now you're assigning phrases and acceptability by class

patteeu
09-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Was he referring to Palin?

Not explicitly. I suspect that the language was specifically selected for the effect that it had though. It is a subtle, but harmless dig at Palin, good for a round of applause from the kookaid drinkers, but it was completely deniable. Political wordsmiths live for this kind of thing. But who knows? :shrug:

patteeu
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
So now you're assigning phrases and acceptability by class

I'm doing the same thing HolmeZz just did.

phisherman
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
i know that this clip is from the view, but it does make reference to obama using that same figure of speech in the past.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5770691

also, if elizabeth freakin' hasselback doesn't think it's a dig, oh my, people probably shouldn't get upset.

HolmeZz
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Not explicitly. I suspect that the language was specifically selected for the effect that it had though. It is a subtle, but harmless dig at Palin, good for a round of applause from the kookaid drinkers, but it was completely deniable. Political wordsmiths live for this kind of thing. But who knows? :shrug:

What would be the benefit from the motive you're assigning him, that he went out and called Palin a pig?

Donger
09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
So you're saying the Republicans are overreacting in the hopes of scoring political points as a result of an innocuous comment?

I think that the McCain is over-reacting, yes.

But, listen to the crowd's reaction. They clearly thought that it was a dig at Palin.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
i know that this clip is from the view, but it does make reference to obama using that same figure of speech in the past.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5770691

also, if elizabeth freakin' hasselback doesn't think it's a dig, oh my, people probably shouldn't get upset.

link don't work

Carlota69
09-10-2008, 12:16 PM

But, listen to the crowd's reaction. They clearly thought that it was a dig at Palin.

John Sydney isn't over-reacting, he's jumping on this for political reasons. He knows good and goddamn well it was just a statement, not a dig at Palin. John Sydney is just being a dirty-low down lying politician. Suprised we can understand anything he says with Roves' sack in his mouth.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:17 PM

I don't know about that, how do you hope to speak for the opinion of all the people there.

To me that is an applausable moment even if there were 2 men on the repub ticket

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM
John Sydney isn't over-reacting, he's jumping on this for political reasons. He knows good and goddamn well it was just a statement, not a dig at Palin. John Sydney is just being a dirty-low down lying politician. Suprised we can understand anything he says with Roves' sack in his mouth.

your being mighty harsh on john bush

Donger
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM

The crowd certainly seemed to think it was a dig, based on their reaction.

And, why are you misspelling McCain's middle name?

Sully
09-10-2008, 12:21 PM
It couldn't be that the crowd, righly, reacted because the point about keeping the same policies does not equal change was correct. It must've been a personal insult crafted for practically no political benefit, except fot the (whining) other side.

Carlota69
09-10-2008, 12:22 PM

And, why are you misspelling McCain's middle name?

Doesnt matter what they thought, its an age old saying. John SYDNEY is using it for political reasons.

I have no need to be repectful to John Sydneys name. I've decided I like his name spelled that way better and thats how I'm going to go about it. I mean we dont really respect the others name in this forum right? Osama, Nobama etc....

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
He had used the phrase before and it wasn't the only analogy he used. He said something like 'if you wrap a dead fish in a paper called change, it's still going to sink'.

He wasn't friggin' talking about Palin, he was trying to sound folksy. He was likely campaigning in a rural area.HE WAS TALKING ABOUT HER VAGINA

HE IS A MONSTER

Donger
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Doesnt matter what they thought, its an age old saying. John SYDNEY is using it for political reasons.

I have no need to be repectful to John Sydneys name. I've decided I like his name spelled that way better and thats how I'm going to go about it. I mean we dont really respect the others name in this forum right? Osama, Nobama etc....

Works for me.

Donger
09-10-2008, 12:26 PM
It couldn't be that the crowd, righly, reacted because the point about keeping the same policies does not equal change was correct. It must've been a personal insult crafted for practically no political benefit, except fot the (whining) other side.

Possibly. I'd like to see a video of their reaction to the stinky fish comment, too.

But, regardless, I doubt that we'll hear Barack Hussein make such a comment again any time soon.

patteeu
09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
What would be the benefit from the motive you're assigning him, that he went out and called Palin a pig?

The benefit would be an applause line.

phisherman
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
link don't work

works for me in both IE and firefox

mlyonsd
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
It doesn't matter if he meant it as a dig or not. How the public views it is what counts.

In any case it was a gamble to take from a political POV.

Radar Chief
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
link don't work

:shrug: Worked for me.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
:shrug: Worked for me.

brought up a page not found, i shall try again

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
HE WAS TALKING ABOUT HER VAGINA

HE IS A MONSTER

ROFL

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=patteeu;5002227]The benefit would be an applause line.[/QUOTE

whatever analogy he used to compare mccains policy to failure would have brought an applause line

He was campaigning in front of democrats not doing comedy at the apollo

HolmeZz
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
The benefit would be an applause line.

Obama wouldn't have to call Palin a pig to get applause. All he'd have to do was sneeze.

Infidel Goat
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BR8IhMMhe8w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BR8IhMMhe8w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Check out this version of John Sidney, III's lipstick on a pig comparison. It includes the audience reaction.

Evidently, it's a very funny line. His audience laughed also...

penchief
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM

IMO, Barack Hussein was taking a little shot at Palin. It's not that big a deal.

Again, who is Barack Hussein and why do you keep bringing him up during discussions about Barack Obama?

penchief
09-10-2008, 01:59 PM

Who is John Sidney?

penchief
09-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Possibly. I'd like to see a video of their reaction to the stinky fish comment, too.

But, regardless, I doubt that we'll hear Barack Hussein make such a comment again any time soon.

Let's hope we don't hear from Barack Hussein at all. He's not running for president.

Carlota69
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Who is John Sidney?

He's running for President. I just decided that if its ok to **** up the dems nominees name (Osama, Obslama, NoBama) its cool if I jack up the repubs name. At least mine is nice, altho I think Sydney is sort of a queer name.

Donger
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
He's running for President. I just decided that if its ok to **** up the dems nominees name (Osama, Obslama, NoBama) its cool if I jack up the repubs name. At least mine is nice, altho I think Sydney is sort of a queer name.

And Australians world-wide weep.

kcvet
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
and now he claims McCain is swift boating his ass.

Obama said his comment was meant to compare the policies of McCain to those of President Bush, and was in no way a reference to Republican vice presidential Sarah Palin.

Obama accused the McCain campaign of “lies and phony outrage” and “Swift-boat politics.” He said the “made-up controversy” was “cat nip for the news media.”

source (source)

Osama and the DNC

http://www.cruisesfun.com/pics/ship-sinking2.jpg

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
I'M STEAMING MAD

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmwbGG_WJLo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmwbGG_WJLo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

patteeu
09-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Obama wouldn't have to call Palin a pig to get applause. All he'd have to do was sneeze.

LMAO

|Zach|
09-11-2008, 01:05 AM
iTunes now has Smart playlists *and* Genius playlists. Palin has already denounced iTunes as "elitist" and "out of touch"

Logical
09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
iTunes now has Smart playlists *and* Genius playlists. Palin has already denounced iTunes as "elitist" and "out of touch"LMAO LMAO LMAO

ClevelandBronco
09-11-2008, 01:21 AM

I just read this thread for the first time and that's the most disturbing thing I've ever read on the intertubes.

J Diddy
09-11-2008, 01:34 AM
I just read this thread for the first time and that's the most disturbing thing I've ever read on the intertubes.

for the love of god don't say this thread is worthless without pics