PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Oops! Backfire: McCain advisor Torie Clarks book entitled "Lipstick on a Pig"

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
This is what happens when you hammer something this hard. It comes back to bite you in the arse.

http://www.amazon.com/Lipstick-Pig-Winning-No-Spin-Someone/dp/0743271165/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221099921&sr=8-1

Even O' Reilly is saying the "controversy" is horseshit and there numerous clips of McCain using the phrase himself. The funny thing about it is the subtitle of her book... "Winning In the No-Spin Era by Someone Who Knows the Game" ROFLROFLROFL

I wonder if she is the one that instructed him to go after Obama on this.

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Obama will be on Letterman tonight to talk about it btw.

irishjayhawk
I don't care about the issue and wish it would die, but that is hilarious.

HolmeZz
That's definitely comical.

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
The reason this story has legs is because he said it a week after Palin mentioned it... I've never head the phrase before... but it sounds like it has been used many, many times... sadly for Obama... he used it to soon to Palin's speech.

Sorry bro. It backfired on your ass. Even right wing pundits are saying it.

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Not at all.... it did plenty of damage....

Hahaha. OK. ROFL

banyon
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
The reason this story has legs is because he said it a week after Palin mentioned it... I've never head the phrase before... but it sounds like it has been used many, many times... sadly for Obama... he used it to soon to Palin's speech.

really?

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Not at all.... it did plenty of damage....To whom?

Logical
09-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Not at all.... it did plenty of damage....ROFLROFL

cdcox
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Chris Matthews hammered this issue for at least half his show today. The poor republican spokesman was reduced to saying:

"Oh, come on, guys. It was an internet ad. Come on, guys. Oh, come on, guys. It was just an internet ad. Come on, guys. Come on, guys."

Mecca
09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Are you all that blinded by your obsession with the Messiah that you can't honestly say that this story hurt him?! Guility or not, Obama has been off message for two days... voters are wondering what is wrong with him.. his poll numbers are crashing, his vp makes stupid comments... its been an awful for Obama since the GOP Convention.

Are you really this retarded or do you just play that character here on the forum?

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh well, here's a sweet Palin video to make up for this "gaffe":

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9xbn_AXlaeY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9xbn_AXlaeY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Are you all that blinded by your obsession with the Messiah that you can't honestly say that this story hurt him?! Guility or not, Obama has been off message for two days... voters are wondering what is wrong with him.. his poll numbers are crashing, his vp makes stupid comments... its been an awful for Obama since the GOP Convention.

Give me a god damn break. This entire mess was manufactured by the McCain campaign and you know it. It is now a flaming pile of dogshit on his front porch.

This is what happens when you manufacture shit like this without thinking about the consequences.

memyselfI
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM

I am loathe to agree with you but I think it did damage to the NObama plan of coming out on the attack of Palin. McCain's camp knew this was coming because NObama's idiot handlers told the media it would be happening. So McCain seizes upon an ambiguous statement as proof of an attack, throws NObama on the defensive, and, most importantly, potentially neutralizes his ability to further attack her at this time.

It also highlighted that NObama has spent another two days talking about Sarah Palin and rather ineffectively so. Now they are left with being on the defensive and people's radar in high gear thereby making a later attack even more dangerous. They did this supposedly inadvertently without even getting an attack off...

to me that seems to indicate it backfired but NObama's campaign will put high gloss spin on it somehow.

One thing it did do is highlight the perils of having the top of the ticket trying to take on the bottom of the oppositions ticket.

Joe Seahawk
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Last week the Democrats feigned offense at the Palin remarks about "community organizers." This week the Republicans are feigning offense at Obama's remark about "lipstick on a pig." And now Obama is feigning offense at the Republicans' feigning of offense about the lipstick remark.

There is very little actual offense out there. It's mostly people pretending to be offended, in the hopes that other people will become offended by force.

There is some real offense out there, and when that happens, people need to be careful. People really were offended at how Barack's campaign treated Hillary, and many people are really offended at the treatment of Palin and her baby, and her daughter, and her daughter's baby daddy (see, I can take, and even make, a joke about my side!). That offense is very real; there's little feigned

http://soundpolitics.com/archives/011503.html

Reaper16
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
This whole situation is dumb.

BTW -- the McCain campaign can't call out the Obama campaign for using "the race card" anymore when the're happy playing "the sex card."

Ultra Peanut
09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
This whole situation is dumb.

BTW -- the McCain campaign can't call out the Obama campaign for using "the race card" anymore when their happy playing "the sex card."Sure they can. Duplicitousness is the name of the Republicans' game.

ROYC75
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM

It's older than I am........ It was stupid for people to fly off the deep end on it. Politicians have been using that expression for a hell of a long time.........

ROYC75
09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Obama has to understand, attacking the # 2 will lose this election for him......

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Excerpt from Torie Clark's book:

"Deliver bad news yourself, and when you screw up, say so—fast!" If you don't, Clarke observes, aggressive reporters, resentful employees or the Internet will out you soon enough, and then you'll have to endure the pain of hearing others describe, and capitalize on, your mistake.

ROFL That is exactly what is happening to her own guy right now.

Cannibal
09-10-2008, 09:22 PM
The irony of this entire situation is just too rich.

dirk digler
09-10-2008, 09:32 PM
It's older than I am........ It was stupid for people to fly off the deep end on it. Politicians have been using that expression for a hell of a long time.........

I agree it was definitely bad timing and in this hypersensitive campaign we are in everybody has to be careful what they say even though they may not mean it.

Boris The Great
09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Even OReilly is saying the controversy is horseshit and there numerous clips of McCain using the phrase himself.

This whole thing is as retarded as a traffic jam at the Special Olympics, but it is truly amazing how many people are missing the point.

You could have a video tape of John McCain himself making the pig/lipstick remark every single day for the past 30 years. The point is that McCain, his advisers, his wife, and anyone else you can find didnt say it barely a week after a rival female candidate made a lipstick comment that has been replayed over and over and over again.

Honestly, what is so hard about that? Is it really that confusing?

Its like people think McCain was objecting to the phrase itself. There is nothing wrong with talking about lipstick on a pig. The whole uproar is over the fact that Obama used the phrase after the lipstick-on-an-animal analogy has become so connected to Palin that many people, even some of his own supporters, thought at first that Obama was taking a shot at her.

THAT is the issue here. The fact that people are desperately seeking out examples of McCain and his staffers using that same phrase misses the point so badly that its just sad. And yet the people doing it are pumping their fists in the air like they just won the lotto. Or.... a medal at the Special Olympics.

Mr. Kotter
09-10-2008, 11:20 PM
It's all about....Obama's audience's reaction.

Those on the left, refuse to acknowledge that which is patently obvious to ANYONE (who's fair-minded) who's seen the video---it's 100% clear what they thought he meant....and it's too bad Obama didn't walk-the-walk when he could have. Instead, he allowed their interpretation to stand; and he's pretending to be stupid....by saying he didn't "mean" it that way.

I hope his advisors wise-up, if he plans on winning in November. :shake:

SBK
09-10-2008, 11:36 PM

Those on the left, refuse to acknowledge that which is patently obvious to ANYONE (who's fair-minded) who's seen the video---it's 100% clear what they thought he meant....and it's too bad Obama didn't walk-the-walk when he could have. Instead, he allowed their interpretation to stand; and he's pretending to be stupid....by saying he didn't "mean" it that way.

Jettio will be here to call you a racist anytime now.

Jenson71
09-10-2008, 11:36 PM

Yeah it did damage to our entire political discourse by setting everyone back about 2 days in mental growth.

Ari Chi3fs
09-10-2008, 11:45 PM
RepugnantGunts.

Logical
09-11-2008, 12:01 AM
I am really sick of this shit, doesn't anyone read the Transcript?

Transcript:
John McCain says he's about change too. Exce- and and so I guess his whole angle is - watch out, George Bush - except for economic policy, healthcare policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy, and Karl-Rove-style politics, we're really gonna shake things up in Washington.

That's not change.

That's that's just callin' sumpin' the same thing somethin' different.

But you know, you can't, you know, you you can put, ah, lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.
Clearly he is talking about McCain following Bush III saying that dressing up Bush's policies isn't going to make that pigpretty. It had nothing in the least to do with Palin.

patteeu
09-11-2008, 12:18 AM
This whole thing is as retarded as a traffic jam at the Special Olympics, but it is truly amazing how many people are missing the point.

You could have a video tape of John McCain himself making the pig/lipstick remark every single day for the past 30 years. The point is that McCain, his advisers, his wife, and anyone else you can find didnt say it barely a week after a rival female candidate made a lipstick comment that has been replayed over and over and over again.

Its like people think McCain was objecting to the phrase itself. There is nothing wrong with talking about lipstick on a pig. The whole uproar is over the fact that Obama used the phrase after the lipstick-on-an-animal analogy has become so connected to Palin that many people, even some of his own supporters, thought at first that Obama was taking a shot at her.

THAT is the issue here. The fact that people are desperately seeking out examples of McCain and his staffers using that same phrase misses the point so badly that its just sad. And yet the people doing it are pumping their fists in the air like they just won the lotto. Or.... a medal at the Special Olympics.

Well put, Boris the Great.

HolmeZz
09-11-2008, 12:45 AM

They laughed because it's a funny line, stupid ass.

That's why the audience laughed when McCain used it when referring to Hillary's healthcare plan:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BR8IhMMhe8w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BR8IhMMhe8w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2008, 06:40 AM
They laughed because it's a funny line, stupid ass.

That's why the audience laughed when McCain used it when referring to Hillary's healthcare plan:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BR8IhMMhe8w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BR8IhMMhe8w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The difference, dick face, is that McCain QUALIFIED his remarks, unequivocally while speaking them; not after the fact. If Obama had been smart (in this case,) he would have too.

NewChief
09-11-2008, 07:00 AM

How about decrying the fact that McCain isn't walking the walk like he said he would on his straight talk express. This is bullshit politics, and you know it. You've been complaining about the turn toward the low road this campaign has taken, but you only seem to want to hold one side accountable (your supposed own).

Did Obama make a political mistake in using the phrase? Yes.
Was there anything inherently, morally wrong in what he said? Hell no.

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2008, 07:42 AM
How about decrying the fact that McCain isn't walking the walk like he said he would on his straight talk express. This is bullshit politics, and you know it. You've been complaining about the turn toward the low road this campaign has taken, but you only seem to want to hold one side accountable (your supposed own).

Did Obama make a political mistake in using the phrase? Yes.
Was there anything inherently, morally wrong in what he said? Hell no.

What are we disagreeing about, then?

It's bullshit politics; I've stated that in one of the other threads. OTOH, in politics perception is reality it seems. I really don't give a rip about stuff that's hurting the McCain campaign; let them dig themselves a grave. I'm more worried about our own candidate digging himself a grave....if he isn't careful. I think it would be too bad if he blows this thing now.

Cannibal
09-11-2008, 08:01 AM

Wrong, the McCain campaign manufactured this controversy by trying to say that Obama was saying it about Palin, when he was actually saying about Bush/McCain policy. Using McCain's argument, you could say that McCain called Hillary and others a "pig".

They manufactured this and even people on their own side admit it.

Carlota69
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM

What Jake? I can't hear you...Try taking John Sydneys' nutsack out of your mouth. You sound like your choking.

J Diddy
09-11-2008, 09:41 AM
What Jake? I can't hear you...Try taking John Sydneys' nutsack out of your mouth. You sound like your choking.

don't be silly little lady, you can't choke on 2 shriveled up raisins

Carlota69
09-11-2008, 09:43 AM
don't be silly little lady, you can't choke on 2 shriveled up raisins

OH. thats right. Maybe hes choking on Palins' balls then.:D