PDA

View Full Version : Elections http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/fact-check-pali.html

penguinz
09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
ABC News' Lisa Chinn reports: During her interview with ABC News' Charlie Gibson Thursday Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin attempted to deflect a question about the fact she has never met a foreign head of state by saying that "many" other vice presidential nominees in history hadn't met a head of state either.

However Palin was mistaken, at least where recent history is concerned.

Every vice president over the last 30 years had met a foreign head of state before being elected.

"Have you ever met a foreign head of state?" Gibson asked Palin Thursday.

"I have not," Palin said, "and I think if you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you."

However Palin, who obtained her first passport two years ago, would in fact be the first vice president in 32 years who hadn't met a foreign head of state, if she were elected.

The current Vice President Dick Cheney is a former Secretary of Defense and met foreign leaders in that capacity.

Former Vice President Al Gore was a member of the Senate Armed Forces Committee and went on many congressional trips abroad, known as CODELS, where he met foreign leaders.
Former Vice President Dan Quayle was also a member the Senate Armed Committee and went on many CODELS.

Former President George H.W. Bush was the Ambassador to China before he became a vice president and eventually president.

Walter Mondale, who became vice president in 1977 under President Jimmy Carter, was a senator for 16 years before becoming VP and met foreign leaders.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/fact-check-pali.html

penguinz
09-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Dammit. Can a mod please change the title to:
Fact Check: Palin Wrong on Former VP Credentials

Thanks

Donger
09-12-2008, 02:37 PM
That's devastating stuff.

Dave Lane
09-12-2008, 02:53 PM
You could tell she had her talking points and responses spoon fed to her in the days before the interview. She looked really uncomfortable trying to remember them.

Dave

Carlota69
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I find it odd that the Republican party like to use foreign policy experience and protecting our country (from Islamic terroists) as themes for getting elected, yet their VP pick doesnt know shit on the subject.

At least Biden has a strong background in foreign affairs during his years in the Senate.

Carlota69
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
You could tell she had her talking points and responses spoon fed to her in the days before the interview. She looked really uncomfortable trying to remember them.

Dave

She doesnt have a clue. Thats obvious.

Donger
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
She doesnt have a clue. Thats obvious.

You're just jealous.

Carlota69
09-12-2008, 03:02 PM
You're just jealous.

ROFL Not quite. I would hate to be in her head. I couldnt imagine thinking like that lady. I like who I am much better. And I certainly wouldnt want to run for VPOTUS. No way. No how.

Rooster
09-12-2008, 03:21 PM
How many governors have met leaders from foreign countries? Is that something normal for them to do or not do that? :shrug:

Governors and senators have different jobs so why would she be buddy buddy with foreign leaders in the first place?