PDA

View Full Version : Life Take a penny, leave a penny.

joesomebody
09-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I recently began work at a liquor store. I am a huge fan of My Name is Earl the T.V. show, and I remember from one of the early episodes that Earl pays for something using solely the penny jar and then asks what his change is. I laughed and thought no one would really do something like that.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have observed a number of times since beginning work here that people will come into the store and buy singles of beer or packs of cigarettes and pay completely with change and almost always be 8 to 10 cents short and these customers will literally rob the penny jar to pay for their goods. Sometimes if there are enough pennies in the jar they will act like I should reach in my pocket and pull out whatever change I have.<o:p></o:p>
On occasion I've run into customers that will have huge wads of cash and still take 8 to 10 cents worth of penny jar money so as not to break a dollar bill.<o:p></o:p>
I have used a penny jar in the past only to make up for the $1.01 item or similar circumstance so I don't get back 99 cents in change. I just wondered if I am disillusioned about the purpose of the penny jar. Thoughts?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Spott
09-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I would get rid of the penny jar and force the bums that only buy one beer to have the money for it.

cdcox
09-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm a take a penny guy.

Never leave one.

blueballs
09-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I've never used it
but a clerk has on several occasions on my behalf
so they don't have to break a dollar up

joesomebody
09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I've never used it
so they don't have to break a dollar upI do this on a regular basis as the cashier, that's probably why this habit of penny jar abuse has started to bug me.

KcMizzou
09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm the leave a penny (or four) guy.

Chief Chief
09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I've never used it
so they don't have to break a dollar up

ditto.

When I do get pennis in change, I normally don't leave any pennies simply because there are enough already in the receptacle.

KcMizzou
09-13-2008, 09:59 PM
You're all a bunch of tight asses. :p

joesomebody
09-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm the leave a penny (or four) guy.
Just be warned from now on, you contribute to people paying with dimes and nickles still sticky from the car cup holder everywhere. Makes me wonder what form of payment these customers use when they buy dinner or groceries.

teedubya
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
i leave all my pennies in the take a penny leave a penny.

I keep all my silver change and put it in a big ****ing jar.

Rain Man
09-13-2008, 10:22 PM
I always assumed that the pennies were for sale. They're never priced, though, so I never buy them.

jjchieffan
09-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Penny jars, HA. I used to give and take from them back when I still used cash. Hell, nowadays everybody takes my debit card, so I have little use for a penny jar.

Fish
09-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Pennies are irrelevant.... Eliminate them....

KcMizzou
09-13-2008, 10:40 PM
I always assumed that the pennies were for sale. They're never priced, though, so I never buy them.They're 5 cents each...

It's a bargain, really.

cdcox
09-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Pennies are irrelevant.... Eliminate them....

I trade them in for meth.

KcMizzou
09-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I trade them in for meth.Dude.

You can do that?

cdcox
09-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Dude.

You can do that?

Plumbing

Wire

Pennies

Makes no difference to me.

KcMizzou
09-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Plumbing

Wire

Pennies

Makes no difference to me.LMAO

Good to know. This is the kinda shit you can only learn on Chiefsplanet.

I've got lots of pennies... gonna go get some meth now... brb.

RJ
09-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Plumbing

Wire

Pennies

Makes no difference to me.

When it comes to meth and crack, copper is better than money.

I'm getting a little worried, my shopping cart needs new tires.

Thig Lyfe
09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Shaid
09-13-2008, 11:15 PM
If I need one or two, I might take them once out of every 3 or 4 times. Otherwise, I always leave all of my pennies in it. I just don't like carrying them around.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-14-2008, 12:26 AM
ditto.

When I do get pennis in change, I normally don't leave any pennies simply because there are enough already in the receptacle.

You're all a bunch of tight asses. :p

:spock:

blueballs
09-14-2008, 12:30 AM
problem penny pinchers

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 12:45 AM
My rules for penny usage:

1. I pay fractions of five cents (and, rarely, 10 cents) with pennies when I have too much change in my pocket.

2. I eschew rule 1 when there's anyone behind me in line. Why make enemies of strangers when so many people I already know don't care for me?

3. (The exception to rule 2) I'll clean my car out of pennies while I wait in a fast food drive-thru lane. If the tab is $6.37, you can figure that I'm going to hand over 37 pennies when I get to the window if I can find them while I'm waiting in line. I'm sorry if you're behind me, but they don't count my pennies at the window anyway. They just dump them in the till.

4. (Not technically a penny rule) I'll give the drive-thru attendant two nickels before I give her a dime. With gas prices as they are, who needs to haul around all that extra weight?

5. When it comes to pennies of difference in gasoline prices, I won't go out of my way. At a four penny difference with my tank near empty I'll save 88 pennies at most. There's almost nothing I'll do to compile 88 more pennies every two weeks.

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 12:55 AM
I forgot: I leave my pennies in the penny jar up to three cents. However, I will only take one penny to make up a deficiency.

A good analyst might have something to say about that, but I'm not going to spend any of my hard-earned pennies on a good analyst.

My favorite vendors take as many pennies from their own jar as they need after I offer my cash, then they give me nothing but larger coins. Those guys really know how to work a customer as well as a register.

tmax63
09-14-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm a "leave a penny" kind of guy because they wear out the bottoms of your pocket and you become a "penny in you shoe" kind of guy if you don't.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2008, 08:00 AM
You need a higher class of customer. :D

I work at a liquor store as well, and our penny cup is literally overflowing.

If the change is anywhere close, I'll pull from the cup to keep from giving the customer coins back - and to keep the jar from spilling onto the counter.

I bet there's about a buck and a half in that cup...

Saulbadguy
09-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I never take a penny, I never leave a penny. I ignore the tray. If the cashier happens to take a penny for my transaction, that's fine.

Skip Towne
09-14-2008, 08:15 AM
You need a higher class of customer. :D

I work at a liquor store as well, and our penny cup is literally overflowing.

If the change is anywhere close, I'll pull from the cup to keep from giving the customer coins back - and to keep the jar from spilling onto the counter.

I bet there's about a buck and a half in that cup...

Why don't you just price everything so that the total ends in .25, .50, .75 or an even dollar? Then you would only need to keep quarters around. It wouldn't take much adjustment of the prices. I wish all merchants would do this.

JuicesFlowing
09-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Why do we even have pennies anymore? I seriously wish they'd get eliminated and round all prices to the nearest .05. Better yet, do away with all change except quarters.

PS WHy sell something for $19.99 when you can sell it for $20.00?

Skip Towne
09-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Why do we even have pennies anymore? I seriously wish they'd get eliminated and round all prices to the nearest .05. Better yet, do away with all change except quarters.

Great idea! Wish I'd thought of that.

Fish
09-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Why don't you just price everything so that the total ends in .25, .50, .75 or an even dollar? Then you would only need to keep quarters around. It wouldn't take much adjustment of the prices. I wish all merchants would do this.

Exactly!! Why ohh why hasn't this been done already??