PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Chiefs need to make presence felt against young quarterbacks

Tribal Warfare
09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Chiefs need to make presence felt against young quarterbacks (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/795961.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Young New England quarterback Matt Cassel may go on to a great NFL career and recall last week’s game against the Chiefs only as the day when he got it started.

More than likely, Cassel will eventually remember efficiently guiding the Patriots to a 17-10 win as a career highlight. He completed 72 percent of his passes, threw for one touchdown and no interceptions.

His passer efficiency rating of 116 would someday put him in the Hall of Fame if he could finish his career that way.

On the other hand, there are the Chiefs, who have reasons to feel good about themselves after coming close to a stunning upset of the Patriots.

Their kid-gloves treatment of Cassel isn’t one of them. They sacked him twice but otherwise couldn’t force him into at least one game-altering mistake.

That’s not a good omen as they prepare to face young quarterbacks in the next two games. Today at Arrowhead Stadium it’s Oakland and JaMarcus Russell, making his third NFL start.

Next week at the Georgia Dome, it’s the Falcons and Matt Ryan, who would also be making his third career start.

The Chiefs’ chance to win those games may hinge on their ability to rattle Russell and Ryan better than they did Cassel.

“Atlanta will do against us what Atlanta did in their game last week,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “They’ll run the football. They threw only 13 passes last week. Oakland will run the football, and they’ll protect the quarterback. That’s what you’ve got to do with a young quarterback.”

New England altered its game plan after Tom Brady was knocked from the game because of a knee injury. The Patriots passed on 11 of the 15 plays they ran with Brady at quarterback and only 20 of 44 plays with Cassel.

The Patriots gave Cassel time to complete a 51-yard pass to Randy Moss out of their end zone on a third down. He finished that drive by throwing a 10-yard pass to Moss for a touchdown, also on third down.

“He made two throws on third down,” Edwards said. “We blitzed him. We hit him some. We knew they would get yards. We just didn’t want to let them score. I know he’s not their (usual) starter, but he knows the offense. He’s athletic. He can run a little bit. He dinked and dunked us. But for the most part, we kept them out of the end zone, and that was the intent.

“He threw a lot of quick little passes where you’re not going to sack the quarterback. When he tried to go long a couple of times, we tried to put pressure on him and we hit him. We were trying to do something to confuse him.”

If they couldn’t do better with Cassel, the Chiefs’ chances might not be good of getting Russell or Ryan off their games. Cassel, a backup in college at USC and in his first three seasons with New England, was drafted in the seventh round by the Patriots in 2005.

Russell was the first pick of the draft last year, and Ryan was third this year.

Russell is the classic big-armed passer who can make a defense look bad.

“He’s got a live arm,” Chiefs safety Jarrad Page said. “He can get the ball down the field. It makes him able to make throws that sometimes you wouldn’t expect. He gets the ball between defenders. If you slack in coverage a little bit because you think he’s rolling out of the pocket or about to get sacked, he’ll wing it 60 yards down the field. You’ve got to be ready for that.”

Russell is in his second season, but last year was almost wasted. He didn’t sign until the regular season was well under way. He made one start at the end of last season and again in last week’s 41-14 home loss to Denver.

He was 17 of 26 for 180 yards and two touchdowns last week, though both scores came in the fourth quarter after the Broncos had long since put the game away.

“He’s not a kid that gets flustered,” Oakland coach Lane Kiffin said. “You saw that in the game (in Denver). Usually when you’re in a game where you’re getting blown out, it gets uglier because (a young quarterback) is trying to make a play by forcing the ball down the field. He didn’t do that. He stayed with the game plan.”

This will be the first road start of Russell’s career. While Arrowhead might not be as loud as it once was, it will be filled at least close to capacity, making it the most difficult atmosphere of his pro career.

“He knows right away this is going to be the toughest environment he’s played in,” said Chiefs quarterback Tyler Thigpen.

Ari Chi3fs
09-13-2008, 11:37 PM
you sit and refresh the KC Star vigorously waiting the new articles every night or what?

KcMizzou
09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
you sit and refresh the KC Star vigorously waiting the new articles every night or what?Meh... who cares.

He's good at what he does.

pr_capone
09-13-2008, 11:39 PM
you sit and refresh the KC Star vigorously waiting the new articles every night or what?

ROFL

Tribal Warfare
09-13-2008, 11:41 PM

nope I just know when they come out, due to the past while I'm navigating on ChiefsPlanet's homepage, because the links are there and available.

boogblaster
09-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Rattle that Faider-Scum .. GO CHIEFS ....

bishop_74
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM

Boy... no kidding. There's another one he just posted too.

chefsos
09-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm kind of hoping that the deleted post above originally said something like, "**** you, douchebags". It's what I would have said.

ChiefsCountry
09-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Hopefully Dorsey, Hali, Pollard and the boys knock Russell out.

RustShack
09-14-2008, 12:50 AM
maybe Pollard ends the season for 15 more QB's this year?

Ari Chi3fs
09-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Hey I appreciate your effort... it just baffled me that you do it every day, and I wasn't sure if you had OCD or something. :-P

Coogs
09-14-2008, 08:30 AM
[ We knew they would get yards. We just didn’t want to let them score. I know he’s not their (usual) starter, but he knows the offense. He’s athletic. He can run a little bit. He dinked and dunked us. But for the most part, we kept them out of the end zone, and that was the intent.

I still don't think the bend-but-don't-break defensive philosophy we use goes very well with our run it up the middle on first and second down offensive philosophy. It gives us too long of a field to navigate on a consistant basis.

Phobia
09-14-2008, 08:49 AM
This may be Teicher's best column ever. He presents his case very well and he doesn't sound like the bitter jerk that comes through sometimes.