PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Flanagan: LJ’s mom says he’s not an angry young man

Tribal Warfare
09-14-2008, 01:57 AM
LJ’s mom says he’s not an angry young man (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/795637.html)
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star

It wasn’t long before Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, fair or unfair, got the reputation in Kansas City as an angry young man.

LJ’s mother, Christine, insists there is no basis for that reputation.

“He’s not mad at the world,” she told me. “People have thought that, and I just think he’s misunderstood.

“He’s not mad. He’s just guarded sometimes, and he also has a great passion for football. That passion can be misunderstood.

“He just has a different personality. I have one son who can make friends in an instant with total strangers. That’s his personality, smiling all the time. Larry’s personality is different.”

Christine also suggests that because LJ is by nature quiet, he may come across as distant.

“I think people kind of forget that professional football players are people, too,” she said. “We put them on this stage … but that’s just his job. That’s his profession.

“It doesn’t matter whether you’re a reporter or a banker or a football player, everyone is a human being, too, and has a private side. I don’t think anyone would like to have to live in a fishbowl, but that’s what it’s like being a football player. I know I wouldn’t want people peering inside my window all the time, but that’s what they have to go through.”

First and foremost, she said, LJ just wants to play football.

“He’s been like that since he was 7 years old,” she said. “He started out playing flag football and then pee-wee football and on to high school and college. That’s his biggest passion in life.

“The rest of it he’d prefer to keep private.”

Campbell’s soup mom

Although Campbell’s Chunky soup commercials with NFL players’ moms aren’t being made anymore, Christine Johnson, who is here for today’s game, remains active with Campbell’s and its program to tackle hunger in America.

Christine is one of several NFL moms given the task of gathering food for local food banks. Campbell’s gave each mom 500 cans of Campbell’s soup to kick-start their campaigns, which run through the end of the calendar year.

Jared’s diary

Former Chief Jared Allen is writing a diary for the St. Paul Pioneer Press newspaper. In his first entry, he writes about the atmosphere in Kansas City on game day:

“In Kansas City, we had this swagger. There was a mystique. Besides last year, we never lost games at home. It was an environment where we always played at a higher level, and our crowd was so crazy. You drive to the stadium in the morning, and you could smell the coals burning in the parking lot. Everyone was barbecuing. … An excitement came over you, to go out and win in front of those fans.”

blueballs
09-14-2008, 01:59 AM
MILF pics
where are they

T-post Tom
09-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Watched a replay of the Vikings game. Jared was almost invisible. No sacks. The left tackle had his way with Jared for most of the game. I felt sorry for Jared. I suspect he'll bounce back, but if he doesn't... heads will roll in the Vikes FO.

T-post Tom
09-14-2008, 02:10 AM
MILF pics
where are they

You sir, are drunk.

blueballs
09-14-2008, 02:17 AM
You sir, are drunk.

Claythan is fapped dry

T-post Tom
09-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Claythan is fapped dry

She's a "handsome" woman.

blueballs
09-14-2008, 02:23 AM
and she can't block your advances

T-post Tom
09-14-2008, 02:26 AM
and she can't block your advances

Normally, that would be a good thing. Based on your rendering...not so much.

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 02:27 AM
It would probably be better if Mr. Johnson were an angry young man.

Focused anger (and I must emphasize the word "focused") has been a useful tool for many great football players over the decades.

LJ had better get the right kind of anger up soon. He's about to lose his chance to be somebody.

blueballs
09-14-2008, 02:28 AM
some facial hair electrolysis
and a six pack
and I'd hit it

T-post Tom
09-14-2008, 02:30 AM
It would probably be better if Mr. Johnson were an angry young man.

Focused anger (and I must emphasize the word "focused") has been a useful tool for many great football players over the decades.

LJ better get the right kind of anger up soon. He's about to lose his chance to be somebody.

LJ ran hard and focused vs. the Pats. Unfortunately, the o-line didn't run block too well. Not surprising considering the youth & inexperience. And also consider that the Pats have three first round draft picks on the d-line. Ouch. Our o-line will improve. And as they do, LJ's stats will get better.

T-post Tom
09-14-2008, 02:37 AM
some facial hair electrolysis
and a six pack
and I'd hit it

Careful...that's how the whole Monica Lewinsky thing got started...

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 02:44 AM
LJ ran hard and focused vs. the Pats. Unfortunately, the o-line didn't run block too well. Not surprising considering the youth & inexperience. That and the Pats have three first round draft picks on the d-line. They will improve. And as they do, LJ's stats will get better.

I watched the game. I didn't see anger at all. I saw LJ trying to protect himself and run the plays the way they've been scripted behind a line that was unable to dominate the opposing defensive line.

LJ, IMHO, will have to learn how to run differently. The line that he thought he was going to get to run behind is gone, and that's just one reason he should be angry.

Rather than follow the blocker, LJ will have to learn how to cut back immediately into an open lane that has nothing to do with the motion of the line. When KC had great blockers, he could hesitate and wait for the pancake block to spring him. That's obviously not going to happen much these days.

Now he has to find a gap that gets him through the line and into the LBs and safeties.

He'll take less of a beating, and it could prolong his career.

Forget the blockers, LJ. Do it against what you've been taught about an OL, because that school has closed for a while.

I remain convinced that LJ can tear it up as long as he doesn't run the way he was taught to run when the Chiefs had a great line.

Now he's running for his career and his life.

He ought to be angry with the Chiefs.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2008, 03:07 AM
He ought to be angry with the Chiefs.

If he hadn't received $19 million bones for signing on the bottom line, I'd tend to agree with you.

Otherwise...

:D

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 03:17 AM
If he hadn't received $19 million...

That's not LJ's fault, nor is it his crappy team's redemption.

The Chiefs failed to support his talent, and he should be angry.

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2008, 03:19 AM
That's not LJ's fault, nor is it his crappy team's redemption.

The Chiefs failed to support his talent, and he should be angry.

I understand your point but only so many positions could adequately be addressed in the 2008 off-season. More changes will come in 2009 but whether that's too late to salvage LJ's career is yet to be seen or determined.

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 03:23 AM
I understand your point but only so many positions could adequately be addressed in the 2008 off-season. More changes will come in 2009 but whether that's too late to salvage LJ's career is yet to be seen or determined.

It is too late, and that's a damned shame.

Damn, what that guy could have been...

Mojo Rising
09-14-2008, 03:25 AM
It is too late, and that's a damned shame.

Damn, what that guy could have been...

A better pass blocker?

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 03:37 AM
A better pass blocker?

Maybe. If anyone had bothered to teach him. But that wasn't why you drafted him.

Perhaps a better offensive scheme that didn't telegraph that the blocking dummy was the only thing in a guy's way could have been a better decision.

Maybe (just maybe) the coaches are idiots. Maybe your coaches are fighting "the last war" and the game has passed them by.

LJ could have been a force.

CupidStunt
09-14-2008, 04:18 AM
If anyone had bothered to teach him.

He doesn't need teaching. He needs to want to.

Maybe (just maybe) the coaches are idiots.

There's no maybe about it, but it's not the (sole) reason why LJ stinks.

He has been. But backs don't get O-lines chock-full of HOFers (or schemed to perfection) for their entire careers.

Just ask Clinton Portis.

J Diddy
09-14-2008, 08:07 AM
He doesn't need teaching. He needs to want to.

There's no maybe about it, but it's not the (sole) reason why LJ stinks.

He has been. But backs don't get O-lines chock-full of HOFers (or schemed to perfection) for their entire careers.

Just ask Clinton Portis.

Or barry sanders

milkman
09-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Or barry sanders

Or LaDainian Tomlinson.

His first couple of years, that Charger O-Line (anchored by our very own beloved Damion McGinaTosh) was every bit as bad as this Chiefs line, and Tomlinson still produced.

Short Leash Hootie
09-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Or LaDainian Tomlinson.

His first couple of years, that Charger O-Line (anchored by our very own beloved Damion McGinaTosh) was every bit as bad as this Chiefs line, and Tomlinson still produced.

2004 he averaged 3.9 YPC
2005 he averaged 4.3 YPC

Even the great LDT didn't do so well behind an awful offensive line.

If Larry stays healthy...

He'll probably average 4 YPC and run for 12 or 13 TD's and 1300 yards...

Not GREAT, people will bitch...but that's about all you can expect behind this line.

evolve27
09-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Or LaDainian Tomlinson.

LJ got paid, he's happy/complacent now. Herm doesn't like passing, so LJ's got to work and LJ done got paid.

Short Leash Hootie
09-14-2008, 09:52 AM
LJ got paid, he's happy/complacent now.

Yawn.

JuicesFlowing
09-14-2008, 09:56 AM

Could have? Last season he was protecting himself, not this season. If you can't see the difference in his running this year, even after one game (and some preseason games as well) then i don't know what you're seeing. Las season he danced around too much, and the line was much worse than this season. Also, I'm getting a little confused as to why a lot of people seem to think that at age 28, LJ is in his last year. I know the drop off for running backs is around the 30-32 age, but come on. We'll see how he does, but I think he's going to have a great year.

evolve27
09-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Could have? Last season he was protecting himself, not this season. If you can't see the difference in his running this year, even after one game (and some preseason games as well) then i don't know what you're seeing. Las season he danced around too much, and the line was much worse than this season. Also, I'm getting a little confused as to why a lot of people seem to think that at age 28, LJ is in his last year. I know the drop off for running backs is around the 30-32 age, but come on. We'll see how he does, but I think he's going to have a great year.

He should bounce back, I mean people including me would love to see him bounce it out or break a tackle or four now and again, but he certainly gives us a better chance @ a W. Just spell him more if he doesn't have it that game. Charles, Smith are solid backups/spellbacks.

milkman
09-14-2008, 10:05 AM
2004 he averaged 3.9 YPC
2005 he averaged 4.3 YPC

Even the great LDT didn't do so well behind an awful offensive line.

If Larry stays healthy...

He'll probably average 4 YPC and run for 12 or 13 TD's and 1300 yards...

Not GREAT, people will bitch...but that's about all you can expect behind this line.

If LJ averages more than 3.5 YPC behind this line, I will be surprised, because he lacks patience and vision.

LJ's stength was his physical style in the second level, and he has pussified since the '05 season.

Without a great O-Line, LJ is just a mediocre back.

And there is nothing else that LJ does well.

milkman
09-14-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm sorry?

Did you see his one good run last week?

He ran out of bounds rather than lowering his shoulder and knocking the DB on his ass in an attempt to get more yards.

He pussified.

LJ in '04 and '05 would have blasted that DB.

OnTheWarpath58
09-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm sorry?

He ran out of bounds rather than lowering his shoulder and knocking the DB on his ass in an attempt to get more yards.

He pussified.

And picked up 10 more yards (at least) in the process...

KCJohnny
09-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Without a great O-Line, LJ is just a mediocre back.

And there is nothing else that LJ does well.

Career receiving: 128 REC for 1,231 yds, 6 TD and a 9.6 YPC average.

milkman
09-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Career receiving: 128 REC for 1,231 yds, 6 TD and a 9.6 YPC average.

Yeah.

How many drops does he have?

phillip
09-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry?

He pussified.

Yup. That's the EXACT thought I had when he went to the sideline.

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2008, 10:35 AM
In fairness to the team and LJ he should be traded. He has never been a popular player to begin with, and then there is last season and so far this season. Everyone wants to blame the line for his issues. Line or no line, J. Charles is avg. 5.6 yards a carry. I would be fine with RRBC again. Charles, Smith, Savage, Battle.

The only thing LJ is needed for is a bartering chip. A qb for him...back to the Quinn for Lj discussion!

evolve27
09-14-2008, 10:37 AM
In fairness to the team and LJ he should be traded. He has never been a popular player to begin with, and then there is last season and so far this season. Everyone wants to blame the line for his issues. Line or no line, J. Charles is avg. 5.6 yards a carry. I would be fine with RRBC again. Charles, Smith, Savage, Battle.

The only thing LJ is needed for is a bartering chip. A qb for him...back to the Quinn for Lj discussion!

I'll take Quinn at LJ's expense! Gimme points!

milkman
09-14-2008, 10:39 AM
The Browns would be stupid to give up Quinn for LJ staright up.

Short Leash Hootie
09-14-2008, 11:10 AM
The Browns would be stupid to give up Quinn for LJ staright up.

I would say that would rate up there with the Herschel Walker trade.

KCinNY
09-14-2008, 11:11 AM
The time to get high value for LJ has long since passed. If I recall, the Packers were offering a 1st rounder back before Carl gave him his fat contract.

Be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him now.

JuicesFlowing
09-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Never been popular? I didn't realize the NFL was high school. Not popular to who? Just curious.

Iowanian
09-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Its pretty obvious.

he's running like he's fat, rich and happy instead of hungry.

OctoberFart
09-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Why does Diaper Boy want to run hard he has already been paid?

Valiant
09-14-2008, 01:02 PM
LJ’s mom says he’s not an angry young man (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/795637.html)
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star

It wasn’t long before Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, fair or unfair, got the reputation in Kansas City as an angry young man.

LJ’s mother, Christine, insists there is no basis for that reputation.

“He’s not mad at the world,” she told me. “People have thought that, and I just think he’s misunderstood.

“He’s not mad. He’s just guarded sometimes, and he also has a great passion for football. That passion can be misunderstood.

“He just has a different personality. I have one son who can make friends in an instant with total strangers. That’s his personality, smiling all the time. Larry’s personality is different.”

Christine also suggests that because LJ is by nature quiet, he may come across as distant.

“I think people kind of forget that professional football players are people, too,” she said. “We put them on this stage … but that’s just his job. That’s his profession.

“It doesn’t matter whether you’re a reporter or a banker or a football player, everyone is a human being, too, and has a private side. I don’t think anyone would like to have to live in a fishbowl, but that’s what it’s like being a football player. I know I wouldn’t want people peering inside my window all the time, but that’s what they have to go through.”

First and foremost, she said, LJ just wants to play football.

“He’s been like that since he was 7 years old,” she said. “He started out playing flag football and then pee-wee football and on to high school and college. That’s his biggest passion in life.

“The rest of it he’d prefer to keep private.”

Campbell’s soup mom

Although Campbell’s Chunky soup commercials with NFL players’ moms aren’t being made anymore, Christine Johnson, who is here for today’s game, remains active with Campbell’s and its program to tackle hunger in America.

Christine is one of several NFL moms given the task of gathering food for local food banks. Campbell’s gave each mom 500 cans of Campbell’s soup to kick-start their campaigns, which run through the end of the calendar year.

Jared’s diary

Former Chief Jared Allen is writing a diary for the St. Paul Pioneer Press newspaper. In his first entry, he writes about the atmosphere in Kansas City on game day:

“In Kansas City, we had this swagger. There was a mystique. Besides last year, we never lost games at home. It was an environment where we always played at a higher level, and our crowd was so crazy. You drive to the stadium in the morning, and you could smell the coals burning in the parking lot. Everyone was barbecuing. … An excitement came over you, to go out and win in front of those fans.”

I wish he was angry.. The needs something to motivate him besides being a bitch and just showing up for a paycheck..