PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs AP: Chiefs’ Larry Johnson speaks out—again

Tribal Warfare
09-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Chiefs’ Larry Johnson speaks out—again (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-disgruntledjohnson&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By JOHN MARSHALL, AP Sports Writer 19 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Early in the third quarter, Larry Johnson rumbled up the middle for a 2-yard gain, his 12th carry against the Oakland Raiders.

It turned out to be Johnson’s last—and he didn’t like it.

Unhappy with his role in a dismal offense, Johnson lashed out at Kansas City’s coaching staff and front office Sunday, saying he didn’t see himself being a part of the team in the future.

“Something’s going on—I just don’t know what it is,” Johnson said after a 23-8 loss to Oakland in the Chiefs’ home opener. “I’m going to sit down and talk with someone.”

A two-time Pro Bowler, Johnson joined Eric Dickerson and Terrell Davis as the only players to rush for over 1,750 yards in consecutive seasons. He’s third on Kansas City’s all-time rushing list in just his sixth season and has been known as a workhorse back, owning Chiefs records for carries in a season (416) and a game (39 in 2006).

Once a star, Johnson has turned into a disgruntled bit player for a struggling franchise.

He played just seven games last season due to a foot injury and enhanced his reputation for being sullen and brooding by questioning the coaching staff’s decisions.

Johnson had a relatively successful start to this season, running for a team-high 74 yards on 22 carries in a hard-fought 17-10 road loss to the defending AFC champion New England Patriots.

He didn’t have nearly the same impact against the Raiders, finishing with 22 yards for a 1.8 per-carry average, and complained about it afterward.

“I’ve been here long enough to know that if I’m not getting the ball, then I’m tired,” he said. “If I’m not tired and I’m not getting the ball, something’s going on and I’ve got to deal with it.”

Maybe Johnson just isn’t looking at the big picture.

The Chiefs were once a dominating running team, pounding opponents with huge offensive linemen and talented running backs like Johnson, Priest Holmes and Christian Okoye.

Kansas City isn’t that team anymore, those linemen replaced by inexperienced youngsters, the running game nearly nonexistent. The Chiefs managed just 1,248 yards rushing a year ago—541 less than Johnson had in 2006—and have averaged a paltry 3.41 yards on 46 carries this season.

The Raiders all but shut down Kansas City’s running game Sunday, holding the Chiefs to 55 yards on 19 carries—15 of that on a rumbling scramble by quarterback Damon Huard.

Trailing 13-0 midway through the third quarter, Kansas City abandoned its running game, forced into a passing offense to make up the ground.

“We felt coming into the game that we’d have some shots, some runs that we felt we’d be able to run and we didn’t do it,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said.

Johnson agreed the game plan had to change late because of the deficit. He just didn’t like the way the Chiefs got into that position, particularly with him not getting the ball.

“It just didn’t happen for me today because of personnel changes,” he said. “I’ve always needed 20-30 carries, that’s always been me. It’s tough not being able to get into a rhythm.”

It was enough for Johnson to say he doesn’t expect to be a part of the Chiefs’ future.

“Right now, I don’t see it,” he said. “I’m going to do my part, what I can do right now and hopefully we can get back on track next week.”

redbrian
09-14-2008, 04:38 PM
damn larry do you need your diapers again......

FringeNC
09-14-2008, 04:41 PM
So funny. Both LJ and Herm are stealing Clark's money, and want to scapegoat the other.

Short Leash Hootie
If I were him I'd be pissed off, too.

Tony Gonzalez had the "WTF" look on his face about the entire game when he was watching the amazingly awful passes Thigpen was unleashing.

LiL stumppy
It's the truth. The only thing that needs rebuilt more than the team is the coaching staff. Seriously, when it was 0-16 and 8-16 why was LJ not in there?

TrickyNicky
09-14-2008, 04:43 PM
So funny. Both LJ and Herm are stealing Clark's money, and want to scapegoat the other.

And yet, we aren't even close to the cap. It's a mutually beneficial system.

Halfcan
09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
He was pulled because he ran straight into a line of defenders. No moves, no power, no heart, no vision-then spent the rest of the game sulking.

Bye bye pampers.

dirk digler
I don't blame LJ he knows that this coaching staff are some inept mother ****ers

MichaelH
I can't blame LJ for being pissed. Both for not being in at crucial times and for running up the middle 95 times for no gain.

The only fault I have with Larry is his blocking.

Mecca
09-14-2008, 04:45 PM
He wasn't exactly pulled.....he got most of the carries he just isn't in the game in their shotgun plays.

dirk digler
I can't blame LJ for being pissed. Both for not being in at crucial times and for running up the middle 95 times for no gain.

The only fault I have with Larry is his blocking.

Yep. His blocking sucks but there is no reason to keep running the same damn play every first down and second down

KCCHIEFS27
ha..he needs 20-30 carries to get in to a rhythm?! Well, sorry pal, but the last thing we need right now is 20-30 2 yard runs..

dj56dt58
09-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I agree with LJ..but he is also the problem..try making a few movies instead of just diving into defenders dumbass..Smith and Charles do a lot more behind the same line because they actually try..what a pussy

FringeNC
09-14-2008, 04:46 PM
It's the truth. The only thing that needs rebuilt more than the team is the coaching staff. Seriously, when it was 0-16 and 8-16 why was LJ not in there?

Because he isn't as good as the other two running backs, and refuses to pass-block and gets QBs killed?

Hell, the LJ soap opera this year will be more interesting than the games. Hopefully, he can contribute to Herm getting shit-canned.

Halfcan
09-14-2008, 04:47 PM

Tony Gonzalez had the "WTF" look on his face about the entire game when he was watching the amazingly awful passes Thigpen was unleashing.

Pigpen should be playing arena ball-not in the NFl.

good thing we passed on all the QBs in the draft. :rolleyes:

LiL stumppy
09-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Because he isn't as good as the other two running backs, and refuses to pass-block and gets QBs killed?

Hell, the LJ soap opera this year will be more interesting than the games. Hopefully, he can contribute to Herm getting shit-canned.

He isn't as good as the other two RB's? You have got to be freaking kidding me.

Mecca
09-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Wait so is he saying he wants to carry it 450 times?

FringeNC
09-14-2008, 04:51 PM
He isn't as good as the other two RB's? You have got to be freaking kidding me.

What was LJ's YPC last year? What was Smith's? Who is the better pass-blocker. And despite Charles missing a block that got Croyle killed last week, I thought he blocked okay today, much better than LJ.

aturnis
09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
LJ is not what he used to be. Can't put the blame solely on him though...noone could do well when they only get to run three different plays. One of them 60% of the time. Don't you remember when they used to run LJ OUTSIDE the tackles?

Play calling is TERRIBLE and has me seriously wondering if the coaching staff isn't TRYING to throw games.

blueballs
09-14-2008, 05:06 PM
he's just flustrated
if there is a player not frustrated after that team performance
they shouldn't be playing in the NFL

bigdaddychieffan
09-14-2008, 05:18 PM
When it is publicized that all we have is basically four running plays that come from different formations, I say we need some different ones, because up the centers butt for anywhere from -2 to 2 yards is not cutting it.

TrickyNicky
09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I kind of shrugged off all the Locker room cancer talks over the years, but I can see where its coming from now.

kcfanXIII
09-14-2008, 05:44 PM
if LJ makes a cut rather than running with his head down straight into a pile, his ypc go way up.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2008, 05:46 PM
our offense sucks ........ including LJ

he needs to just STFU

we should of traded him long ago :shake:

TrickyNicky
09-14-2008, 05:46 PM
If LJ tries to do anything but dive at the back of the RG's knees, he will be dancing in the backfield for a 3 yard loss. Our O-line can't run block. It's pathetic.

Ultra Peanut
09-14-2008, 05:47 PM
It's all part of Herm's plan. To make LJ mad again.

He's going to be steamrolling defensive tackles by week 8.

KCinNY
09-14-2008, 05:48 PM
He's done nothing but tippy-toe up to the line and go down on first contact since he signed the fat contract.

Should have traded him when we had the chance to get something for him.

Howlin Wolf
09-14-2008, 05:48 PM
trade him already.

cdcox
09-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Heh, this team could melt down before our very eyes.

StcChief
I agree with LJ..but he is also the problem..try making a few movies instead of just diving into defenders dumbass..Smith and Charles do a lot more behind the same line because they actually try..what a pussy
but he's got a Gaybock and chicks... midnite douche could do so well....

the Talking Can
LJ is a selfish pussy

he won't block

god i wish we traded him....he is a worthless pussy

the Talking Can
09-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Huard

brilliant

2-4
17 yards
0tds
1int
benched

you know less than herm about football

T-post Tom
09-14-2008, 05:53 PM
he's just flustrated
if there is a player not frustrated after that team performance
they shouldn't be playing in the NFL

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

harpes
Hes a thug and wish him the best somewhere else.

the Talking Can
i'd trade lj for anything

smith and charles have better vision, aren't sulking, pussies who refuse to block....

Gravedigger
I'd hate to say it but I think he's throwing his game after the first quarter, or half, so he avoids injury. He gets paid no matter what happens, or else he gets traded to a better team. Both a win win situation to him and as long as he doesn't get injured he's all made in the shade.

TrickyNicky
09-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Whats the cap hit on release? I know we won't but, just speculating?

Gravedigger
09-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Huard

brilliant

2-4
17 yards
0tds
1int
benched

you know less than herm about football

That was after like two series, both of which that aweful excuse for a plan Haegans was, came in for a wasted couple of plays (two of which just for 2 yard QB scrambles that everyone could see coming and then a 4 yard pass gain that was suprising he could throw it). And that interception wasn't his fault the ball was popped up right into the hands of the defender. Not to mention 2 for 4 for an average of 8.5 yards per completion I'd take any day over Thigpen and his early ass throws into triple coverage. Sounds like you know less than Herm, Carl, and Clark about football. Huard wasn't given the chance to excel and he wasn't benched he was brought out cause of a "ding" that the people who watched the game kept wondering why the hell Thigpen kept coming onto the field.

RINGLEADER
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Maybe LJ needs to come to terms with the fact that his gaudy numbers had more to do with Willie Roaf and Will Shields and Larry Johnson.

the Talking Can
09-14-2008, 06:02 PM
That was after like two series, both of which that aweful excuse for a plan Haegans was, came in for a wasted couple of plays (two of which just for 2 yard QB scrambles that everyone could see coming and then a 4 yard pass gain that was suprising he could throw it). And that interception wasn't his fault the ball was popped up right into the hands of the defender. Not to mention 2 for 4 for an average of 8.5 yards per completion I'd take any day over Thigpen and his early ass throws into triple coverage. Sounds like you know less than Herm, Carl, and Clark about football. Huard wasn't given the chance to excel and he wasn't benched he was brought out cause of a "ding" that the people who watched the game kept wondering why the hell Thigpen kept coming onto the field.

holy shit you are dumb

Gravedigger
09-14-2008, 06:07 PM
right...tell me where I am wrong instead of calling out people with no evidence behind your claims? Holy shit you are dumb just doesn't explain alot besides ignorant junior high insults. My logic seems pretty accurate. Oh wait I know, god that Huward is sooo gay he goes down like a sac of potaytos and is a ****in' pussy. That is more in line with your thoughts yes?

Hydrae
09-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Herm is starting to lose this team. Good! I hope the entire locker room revolts on his sorry butt.

MyChiefConcern
09-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Dude. Are you really suggesting that Damon Huard WILL "excel," even if given the chance?

That's...well. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Programmer
09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Herm is starting to lose this team. Good! I hope the entire locker room revolts on his sorry butt.

Starting?

The worst part is that the offense is doing exactly the same thing we did last year, run run pass punt.

LJ did not have an opportunity to run outside the tackles on any of his 12 runs. We obviously do not have the line to open holes between the tackles.

Hermcuff needs to be fired today.

Gravedigger
09-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Dude. Are you really suggesting that Damon Huard WILL "excel," even if given the chance?

Will excel more than Thigpen. And that statement makes all the sense in the world. We are gonna suck this year, everyone knows that, but when you're talking about 2 wins under Thigpen vs. 4 possibly 5 under Huard, I'll take the latter of the two. The whole point is to see how Croyle fairs when he gets back, to see if he's improved at all or he is just another injury proned QB going nowhere. I would prefer QB fundamentals over mobility anyday... well actually I'd prefer both but we don't have that luxury. I'm not going to throw out the whole, two years ago Huard, after Green was injured, guided us to the playoffs. Because under that knowledge we all know that Huard isn't that guy anymore.

beach tribe
09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Starting?

The worst part is that the offense is doing exactly the same thing we did last year, run run pass punt.

LJ did not have an opportunity to run outside the tackles on any of his 12 runs. We obviously do not have the line to open holes between the tackles.

Hermcuff needs to be fired today.

We didn't run outside the tackles at all.

How many field stretching deep balls did we throw?...........NONE....not one.

I would rather have Da Secret, the madden player calling plays.

OnTheWarpath58
09-14-2008, 06:21 PM

They threw one.

Huard launched a wobbler 20 yards short of Charles early.

Why not run that play with Croyle last week, he could actually get the ball there...

MyChiefConcern
09-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Will excel more than Thigpen. And that statement makes all the sense in the world. We are gonna suck this year, everyone knows that, but when you're talking about 2 wins under Thigpen vs. 4 possibly 5 under Huard, I'll take the latter of the two. The whole point is to see how Croyle fairs when he gets back, to see if he's improved at all or he is just another injury proned QB going nowhere. I would prefer QB fundamentals over mobility anyday... well actually I'd prefer both but we don't have that luxury. I'm not going to throw out the whole, two years ago Huard, after Green was injured, guided us to the playoffs. Because under that knowledge we all know that Huard isn't that guy anymore.

Is 4-5 wins really better for this team than 2 though? I mean, beyond allowing Chiefs fans to develop a false sense of hope on a few extra Sundays this year?

If 2-14 can't initiate a wholesale house cleaning in the front office, nothing will. 2-14 will guarantee us the #1 draft pick, and likely a new coaching staff, new GM, etc. A chance to truly get excited about Chiefs football again.

We know what we have in Damon Huard. He's mediocre. I'd rather fail HUGE this year than endure yet another mediocre campaign.

TrickyNicky
09-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Thigpen underthrew Darling horribly on the rollout that the Raiders bit on.

Gravedigger
09-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Is 4-5 wins really better for this team than 2 though? I mean, beyond allowing Chiefs fans to develop a false sense of hope on a few extra Sundays this year?

If 2-14 can't initiate a wholesale house cleaning in the front office, nothing will. 2-14 will guarantee us the #1 draft pick, and likely a new coaching staff, new GM, etc. A chance to truly get excited about Chiefs football again.

We know what we have in Damon Huard. He's mediocre. I'd rather fail HUGE this year than endure yet another mediocre campaign.

Yeah it would help the team just to get a higher draft pick. I'd never like to throw a season because that's all that Chiefs football represents is a false sense of hope. In fact that's what the DraftPlanet should be called, False Sense of Hope Planet.

LiL stumppy
09-14-2008, 06:30 PM
What was LJ's YPC last year? What was Smith's? Who is the better pass-blocker. And despite Charles missing a block that got Croyle killed last week, I thought he blocked okay today, much better than LJ.

So your going to sit here and tell me that Smith is a better running back because he had a higher YPC in 1 year than LJ. :spock:

I really can't believe that. I don't even know what to say.

Programmer
09-14-2008, 06:31 PM

I wasn't going to mention the passing game, with Hermcuff we don't have a passing game.

rad
09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
holy shit you are dumb

Why is he dumb?

HonestChieffan
09-14-2008, 06:33 PM
He was, is and will be a cry baby. Sitting in the stands he clearly didnt even try on most attempts...bad enough it was "Lay Down Larry" comments from many. This team sucks. Our coaching sucks, but Larry needs to freaking man up.

FringeNC
09-14-2008, 06:33 PM
So your going to sit here and tell me that Smith is a better running back because he had a higher YPC in 1 year than LJ. :spock:

Actually, LJ was a tenth of a yard better I think. Throw in the fact that LJ is a huge liability in the passing game, and LJ is all but worthless.

MyChiefConcern
09-14-2008, 06:34 PM

I think it's fair to say that a quicker, shifty style of running back is better for our current situation than Larry Johnson. Larry isn't going to make something out of nothing. He needs the line to do some work before his skillset proves valuable.

With a right side of Niswanger, Jones, and McIntosh...that's just not going to happen.

The way things are right now, I'd rather have Smith and Charles out there, too.

Guru
09-14-2008, 06:42 PM
I want somebody to blow a gasket on the coaches. Today was a complete embarrassment.

DT58HOF
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Huard is 14-10 as a starter 60.7 % passer
Croyle is 0-7

i'd say i will take Huard over any of the bums we have right now.

Logical
09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I would laugh and do one of those commercials where Leon is not getting his carries, if this whole thing was not so pathetic regarding Herm and the offense.

the Talking Can
09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Croyle is 0-7

i'd take a turd sandwich over a dick sandwich

but it is still a turd hoagie.....

morphius
09-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Croyle is 0-7

And you would take Bono over Huard and Croyle as well, right?

DT58HOF
09-14-2008, 07:09 PM
And you would take Bono over Huard and Croyle as well, right?
YES SIR, i would in a heartbeat
Croyle should not even be in this league, Thigy should be playing Arena league somewhere, Huard should be a 3rd stringer ,but he is the best we have.
Herm should be working at wal-mart
Carl should be selling cars

BigMeatballDave
09-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Croyle is 0-7

i'd say i will take Huard over any of the bums we have right now.Why would you want a 35 year old QB starting on a rebuilding team?

morphius
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Why would you want a 35 year old QB starting on a rebuilding team?
Cause some people just don't get how you build a team, nor a QB. These are the people that would have given up on both the Mannings in their first year.

J Diddy
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Why would you want a 35 year old QB starting on a rebuilding team?

because it don't do no good to have bad ass receivers if nobody can throw them the ball

jjjayb
09-14-2008, 08:09 PM

Maybe because he can't frigging block? :spock:

Brock
09-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I basically don't care what Larry Johnson thinks or says. I would have been okay with just getting rid of him before the season.

Bwana
09-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Lay down Larry should be in jail for rape. He got the money and gave the team a good screwing.

LiL stumppy
09-14-2008, 08:37 PM
I think it's fair to say that a quicker, shifty style of running back is better for our current situation than Larry Johnson. Larry isn't going to make something out of nothing. He needs the line to do some work before his skillset proves valuable.

With a right side of Niswanger, Jones, and McIntosh...that's just not going to happen.

The way things are right now, I'd rather have Smith and Charles out there, too.

Fair enough. But neither is the back LJ is. Charles and Smith are not in the same league as LJ, it ridiculous to even say that.

morphius
09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Lay down Larry should be in jail for rape. He got the money and gave the team a good screwing.
With the cap space we have left, he isn't holding us back.

KcFanInGA
09-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Charles and Smith "as good as LJ". Dont hate on the mans check, we've seen what he can do. Larry aint the type to lay down. Toss Herm and Carl, then see what we got.

L.A. Chieffan
09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry larry, we're rebuilding, get over it.

FAX
09-14-2008, 09:19 PM
This is perfect. Just what the team needs right now. Their "star" player acting like a pouty asshole because he isn't getting playing time and threatening to play for someone else knowing damn good and well that he isn't going anywhere at least until next year when he'll no doubt hold out for a trade which on second thought every guy on this team should do if they had any brains and reminds me that I'm surprised Gonzo still bothers to suit up for games.

FAX

FAX
09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Cause some people just don't get how you build a team, nor a QB. These are the people that would have given up on both the Mannings in their first year.

Yep. My problem at this point sure isn't with Croyle, or even Downfield, for that matter. This fish is rotting from the Herm.

FAX

BigRedChief
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Screw him. WTF has he done other than run into the back of the line. And miss blocks on blitizing players?

He got his money. He's done.

PastorMikH
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Larry, you were averaging 1.8 yards a carry. I mean, Donnel Bennet would have carried the rock further than you. Perhaps if you weren't running like a sissy they wouldn't have pulled you. The Rookie RB got more yards per carry than you did, the backup almost doubled your YPC, and the old stiff qb ran further in one run than you could in your first 7 carries combined.

Dude, you have every right to be mad, but it shouldn't be with the coaches for pulling you, you should be mad at yourself for letting the team and fans down on a day when we really needed a star to step up.

Seriously, if you are going to run your mouth, we should be hearing words like "I want to apologize to the Fans of KC for my poor performance today."

You are correct on one thing, I don't see you in KC's future either.

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Larry is in meltdown mode. Running his mouth won't help his team.

PastorMikH
09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Larry is in meltdown mode. Running his mouth won't help his team.

I wished his feet moved as fast as his mouth.

mrbiggz
09-14-2008, 09:30 PM
This all speaks to Herms ability to COACH. It's the second game of the season and he's a;ready losing the team. Honestly, what do you think guys like Tony G and Brian Waters are thinking.

Oh Snap
09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
what i dont understand is...why dont we throw the ball on first down? We always run it up Niswangers ass...Why not try some trickery like end arounds and reverses instead of a constant run up the gut?

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 09:38 PM
This all speaks to Herms ability to COACH. It's the second game of the season and he's a;ready losing the team. Honestly, what do you think guys like Tony G and Brian Waters are thinking.

I don't know what they're thinking because they're smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

Oh Snap
09-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't know what they're thinking because they're smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

Why are you even here?!

I think we should forfeit the season right now.

el borracho
09-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Brian Waters: "That rabbit's crazy. I'm Brian Waters!"
Gonzalez: "Two losses so far in September- that sucks... oh, well. I can always look forward to October!"

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Why are you even here?!

It's a long, uninteresting story.

el borracho
09-14-2008, 09:52 PM
It's a long, uninteresting story.

Oh, humor us. It is the offseason, you know.

MyChiefConcern
09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Fair enough. But neither is the back LJ is. Charles and Smith are not in the same league as LJ, it ridiculous to even say that.

Based on what? Larry Johnson barely played during the early days of his career, and when he did get the opportunity to see the field it was behind the best line in Chiefs history – maybe one of the best lines in NFL history. Roaf, Shields, Wiegmann, Waters, and Tait.

Kolby and Charles aren't going to put up LJ numbers, largely because they're not enjoying the same advantages he had when he finally hit the field.

Maybe they won't ever be as productive as LJ was in the last days of the Vermeil Era. Maybe they will. But there is no way you can definitively state that neither is in LJ's league – particularly with the way he's played recently.

I would rather have Smith and Charles out there right now. They're faster, quicker, more likely to make something out of the heaping pile of nothings that this line is going to give them. And at least they're going to pretend that they give two shits about doing their job, and TRY to block someone.

Watching Larry get Huard killed today was a lot of fun.

PastorMikH
09-14-2008, 10:04 PM

You're right. According to the stats so far this season, they are an upgrade to LJ.

Count Zarth
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
You guys sicken me.