PDA

View Full Version : Misc A torture poll for all (subject of the day)

Logical
09-14-2008, 06:29 PM
The other poll made me wonder about the entire DC population position on very limited application of torture.

Lets assume you had the intelligence that the person in your custody knew where a Nuke was going to go off or a WMD chemical or biological was to be released Would you allow for the torture of that of person for the info but only under the circumstances described?

Logical
09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
So you all are afraid to admit your choice or is this place empty now?

irishjayhawk
09-14-2008, 06:45 PM
There are many preconditions I'd have to know and things but I would, potentially, endorse it.

I want to emphasize potentially.

Reaper16
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
The other poll made me wonder about the entire DC population position on very limited application of torture.

Lets assume you had the intelligence that the person in your custody knew where a Nuke was going to go off or a WMD chemical or biological was to be released Would you allow for the torture of that of person for the info but only under the circumstances described?
Given this highly-unlikely hypothetical situation... yes, I would allow for the use of torture. But it has to be rock-solid intelligence of that kind of critical nature; there is a danger in government loosening the qualifications for what intelligence deserves the use of torture (in other words, a slippery slope).

Logical
09-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Given this highly-unlikely hypothetical situation... yes, I would allow for the use of torture. But it has to be rock-solid intelligence of that kind of critical nature; there is a danger in government loosening the qualifications for what intelligence deserves the use of torture (in other words, a slippery slope).I definitely agree, which is why I hate water boarding so much. If you have the intelligence to make torture needed all bets (and types of torture) would be on the table.

clemensol
09-14-2008, 07:11 PM
This is an extremely theoretical question. I'm not sure how you could be sure of someone's guilt. But, even if you were sure, I don't believe torture would be an effective way to reveal the information. I highly doubt someone motivated enough to get a nuclear weapon into the US would crack under a short period of torture.

HonestChieffan
09-14-2008, 07:13 PM
why make it short?

Ultra Peanut
09-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Torture provides orders of magnitude more bad information (Green Bay Packers O-Line) than good information, and even (or perhaps especially) in this scenario, someone so deeply involved in such an operation is not going to sacrifice it in order to spare themselves pain.

Not to say I can't be misanthropic with the best of them, but pretending that torture is going to bolster the interrogation process is ridiculous.

HonestChieffan
09-14-2008, 07:15 PM
The Chiefs are a form of torture

Ultra Peanut
09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
The Chiefs are a form of tortureOkay, that would work. Send Herm in with film and the whole terrorist organization comes crumbling down instantly.

Silock
09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Depends entirely upon what kind of torture and whom. So, *maybe*, even though I voted yes.

Logical
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Torture provides orders of magnitude more bad information (Green Bay Packers O-Line) than good information, and even (or perhaps especially) in this scenario, someone so deeply involved in such an operation is not going to sacrifice it in order to spare themselves pain.

Not to say I can't be misanthropic with the best of them, but pretending that torture is going to bolster the interrogation process is ridiculous.I am sure you know this UP but pain inducing torture is not the only kind. Drug induced and mental tortures both work better than pain inducing.

irishjayhawk
09-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Depends entirely upon what kind of torture and whom. So, *maybe*, even though I voted yes.

Basically what I said. There are too many variables to say for sure, but I'm not going to deny it if, for example, it we had intelligence so rock solid it was beyond a shadow of a doubt. Well beyond.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2008, 08:32 PM
The other poll made me wonder about the entire DC population position on very limited application of torture.thank you so much for bending my poll over and shoving your dick up it's ass.

Mr Luzcious
09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm not a big fan of "the ends justify the means" kinds of situations. So no.

Reminds me of the situations posed by the Joker in the last Batman movie.

Direckshun
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I would, but this situation is impossible and one military commander after another has said so.

The "ticking bomb" scenario is a farce.

Logical
09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
thank you so much for bending my poll over and shoving your dick up it's ass.Sorry, not my intent, I just wonder why you did not include all the Planet. My conditions are massively different than yours, again sorry.

alnorth
09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I voted yes, but I protest this poll. The other poll did not assume a rediculously unlikely "24" situation like this one does. I explained my general opinion in the other thread.

This situation is so unlikely to ever happen, that I wouldnt bother making a law about it, we can assume the prosecutor and/or governor/president will ensure that this hypothetical "hero" wont be punished.

wazu
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Waterboard them all, and let God sort them out.

Logical
09-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I voted yes, but I protest this poll. The other poll did not assume a rediculously unlikely "24" situation like this one does. I explained my general opinion in the other thread.

This situation is so unlikely to ever happen, that I wouldnt bother making a law about it, we can assume the prosecutor and/or governor/president will ensure that this hypothetical "hero" wont be punished.That is because this is the only condition I would allow torture. There is no other justification,

Mr. Laz
09-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Sorry, not my intent, I just wonder why you did not include all the Planet. My conditions are massively different than yours, again sorry.ROFL

it's ok ..... my poll will never be the same though

i didn't include the entire 'planet' because i was looking for stats to prove/disprove the thread about evangelist torture poll.

people were arguing about it's validity

to me it's a no brainer

i would say virtually 80% of all republican i've talked to are ok with torture as long as it's not them. ;)

Logical
09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
ROFL

it's ok ..... my poll will never be the same though

i didn't include the entire 'planet' because i was looking for stats to prove/disprove the thread about evangelist torture poll.

people were arguing about it's validity

to me it's a no brainer

i would say virtually 80% of all republican i've talked to are ok with torture as long as it's not them. ;)I think you are right.

Reaper16
09-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Waterboard them all, and let God sort them out.
We are the evil we're fighting.

Logical
09-15-2008, 12:25 AM
We are the evil we're fighting.I hope Adam is joking, but even though I thought I had come to know him over the years, now I am not so sure.

Programmer
09-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Sorry, not my intent, I just wonder why you did not include all the Planet. My conditions are massively different than yours, again sorry.

Justificating your theft of concept? I think you lose on this one, and I don't care for most of Laz's posts/threads.

Programmer
09-15-2008, 06:41 AM
i would say virtually 80% of all republican i've talked to are ok with torture as long as it's not them.

I doubt the validity of your comment, but it's your opinion and until verified or debunked fair game.

I would say that a virtual majority of Americans would agree that torture is OK when it's defined to specific points.

Is it OK to torture people that have different political views than yours?

tiptap
09-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Here is the reality. The immediate person that suspects the person has the bombs information does use torture to secure the information. But that person is arrested, put on trial and convicted for using torture. He is granted a pardon only if that information is supstantiated and not before the trial and conviction.

Logical
09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
6 out of 27 say no to torture even under this extreme situation. That is 22% which is signficant.

Programmer
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
6 out of 27 say no to torture even under this extreme situation. That is 22% which is signficant.

You honestly think you can run a poll in a liberal forum and get typical results as if you went across the country?

You are deluded.

J Diddy
09-15-2008, 03:12 PM
You honestly think you can run a poll in a liberal forum and get typical results as if you went across the country?

You are deluded.

forget waterboarding, forget batteries hooked to the nipples

you really wanna torture somebody?

Make him do nothing for 24 hours but read this assclowns posts.

If that won't make him want to kill himself I don't know what would.

Programmer
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
forget waterboarding, forget batteries hooked to the nipples

you really wanna torture somebody?

Make him do nothing for 24 hours but read this assclowns posts.

If that won't make him want to kill himself I don't know what would.

You only have 23 hours to go, then we will all be rid of the biggest asshole on the board.

I find it amusing that you have nothing better to do than to attack me. Your life must suck beyond belief ... but we all knew that .

Dave Lane
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I voted yes but it would depend. Plus I'm afraid we might get worse lies and get mislead from where the bomb actually was.

J Diddy
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
You only have 23 hours to go, then we will all be rid of the biggest asshole on the board.

I find it amusing that you have nothing better to do than to attack me. Your life must suck beyond belief ... but we all knew that .

you started the piss fight with your little pecker but that's your m.o. as always
start it then cry "why you picking on me"

actually your amusing me right now, i'll soon be bored of your elementary school comebacks and then leave your twisted lonely sniveling turd self alone to continuosly harrass and demean everyone else

to which you will repeat the before mentioned scenario over, and over, and over and over and over

And then you call me the one with no life

lololol

Programmer
09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
I voted yes but it would depend. Plus I'm afraid we might get worse lies and get mislead from where the bomb actually was.

So what is worse? Not getting anything or having a chance of finding said bomb?

Logical
09-15-2008, 07:09 PM
you started the piss fight with your little pecker but that's your m.o. as always
start it then cry "why you picking on me"

actually your amusing me right now, i'll soon be bored of your elementary school comebacks and then leave your twisted lonely sniveling turd self alone to continuosly harrass and demean everyone else

to which you will repeat the before mentioned scenario over, and over, and over and over and over

And then you call me the one with no life

lolololI have heard Tom say the exact same things to UP, Banyon, Carlota69, Adept Havlock, Hamas, IJH, and me not to mention at least a half dozen more I cannot specifically recall right now, yet most everyone likes him, and the few that don't are deluded.

J Diddy
09-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I have heard Tom say the exact same things to UP, Banyon, Carlota69, Adept Havlock, Hamas, IJH, and me not to mention at least a half dozen more I cannot specifically recall right now, yet most everyone likes him, and the few that don't are deluded.

like him?

I LOVE HIM1!!!

Cannibal
09-15-2008, 08:11 PM
You get much better info out these people by bargaining with them.