PDA

View Full Version : Music Journey, Heart, Cheap Trick concert in St. Louis

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-15-2008, 02:14 AM
At Verizon Ampitheater. Went on Saturday night. Cheap Trick opened, and they were honestly the worst ****ing band I've ever heard live in my entire life. This includes local bands opening for mid-level alternative rock talent in small college towns. Their lead singer seemed like he was drunk, he kept name dropping the two headliners just to get a cheap pop because no one would cheer for them otherwise.

Heart, on the other hand, was amazing. Ann Wilson still has a redonkulous set of lungs, and they put on a great set. Their sound was so much cleaner than CT's, who sounded muddied and garbled.

Journey was alright, but honestly, went on for too goddamned long. Their Filipino lead singer sounds exactly like Steve Perry (WTF??) and had a good voice and a ton of energy, but they started off their set with 5 songs I don't think anyone had heard before, then broke into their well-known hits, and then once everyone thought they were done, came back on to play two more obscure songs complete with 2-3 minute long guitar solos that just weren't that impressive.

Oh, and my wife bought a daquiri there...16 ****ing dollars. 16 bucks for a goddamned daquiri made from well liquor. :shake:

Cheap Trick gets a solid F, Heart an A-, and Journey a C+. All in all a decent concert, but an hour and forty minutes of Journey is just too goddamned much.

kc rush
09-15-2008, 03:34 AM
Cheap Trick is the only reason I would go to that show. Journey and Heart are OK with me, but I love CT. I've seen them perform many times (from venues as small as the Beaumont Club to Sandstone) and they've always put on a good, energetic show.

The only complaint I've ever had is that sometimes they don't seem mixed right so they sound a bit distorted.

The Bad Guy
09-15-2008, 04:40 AM
I went to their show last month in PA.

I agree with everything you said. Heart was by far the best out of the 3.

Journey was OK. I thought the singer was way too karoake and over the top flipping out on stage like he did. He did sound like Perry, but couldn't belt out the high notes like Perry.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I went to their show last month in PA.

I agree with everything you said. Heart was by far the best out of the 3.

Journey was OK. I thought the singer was way too karoake and over the top flipping out on stage like he did. He did sound like Perry, but couldn't belt out the high notes like Perry.

Yeah, first thing one of my friends said was, "This sounds like a cover band".

BigRedChief
09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, first thing one of my friends said was, "This sounds like a cover band".
The Filipino was playing big money gigs in Asia as a journey cover band when Neal Schoen was send a link to a you tube video of the guy.

The Bad Guy
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
The Filipino was playing big money gigs in Asia as a journey cover band when Neal Schoen was send a link to a you tube video of the guy.

I read he was working with cover bands, not that he was some asian celebrity.

I think his voice is very, very close, but he doesn't have the pipes Perry had.

I think his antics on the stage were way over the top.

DeepPurple
09-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm surprised to hear that about Cheap Trick. I have two concert DVD's, "Silver" and "Budokah" and both are real good, especially Silver recorded in their hometown of Chicago. Also, Cheap Trick was like Peter Frampton, their breakout album was a live record, "Cheap Trick Live at Budokah" was huge around 1979.

If your a Journey fan Walmart has a good deal on their new album "Revelation", which came out June 3rd. They have a 3 disc package for $11.88. You get the new album CD, a re-recorded greatest hits CD and a live DVD with the current band and new singer.

The Revelation DVD from the above package is not as good as the "Journey 2000" DVD which featured singer Steve Augeri, that was a really slick production and is one of the best concert DVD's I've seen. It is a little raw probably because of the budget, but considering I would of paid $11.88 just for the DVD alone, I wasn't disappointed. There is also a DVD with the original singer Steve Perry called "Live in Houston 1981" which is real good.

I saw Journey on the Departure tour in 1980 with The Babys as the opening act in Biloxi, MS. At the time, Jonathan Cain was the Babys keyboardist and Journey still had Greg Rolie, who was the original vocalist/keyboardist of Santana. It was a great show.

Brock
09-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Heart still kicks ass.

Frazod
09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I've seen Cheap Trick several times over the years (they're local) and they were always good. Of course, the last time I saw them was 1990-something. They've got to be older than dirt at this point. One of the best shows I ever saw was them and House of Lords at the Riverfront Amphitheater in Milwaukee on the Lap of Luxury tour in 1989.

I've never seen Heart, but it's good to know they're still rockin. Has Ann slimmed down any, or can she still be seen from space?

As for Journey, sorry, but Journey without Steve Perry = karaoke. Like Queen without Mercury or Boston without Delp, I'll take a pass.

Brock
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Has Ann slimmed down any, or can she still be seen from space?

ROFL

Frazod
09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
ROFL

Well, God knows I've not got much room to talk, but back in the day she was just drop dead gorgeous - when they were young, IMO, she was much hotter than Nancy (I am very much biased towards brunettes). But then she started piling on the pounds. I remember the videos where Nancy would be prominently featured, but Ann would be dressed in black against a dark background, looking like a free-floating singing head.

DeepPurple
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU1MzYwMjU5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDM1MDIzMQ@@._V1._SX98_SY139_.jpg

...but Journey without Steve Perry = karaoke. Like Queen without Mercury or Boston without Delp, I'll take a pass. I thought the same thing about Queen until I saw the "Return of the Champions" DVD with Paul Rodgers. It's hard to describe how someone who has a completely different voice can fit in, but it's more a testament to the music itself and Brian May.

The biggest music injustice currently is the original drummer and bassist <big><big></big></big>with vocalist Bruce Kulick calling themselves Grand Funk Railroad. Without the voice and guitarist Mark Farner, anything else is a cheap imitation.

I also felt the same way when Uriah Heep sacked David Byron in the mid 70's. Uriah Heep was just was never the same, and in the early 70's "Demons & Wizards", "Magicians Birthday" and "Live January 1973" were fantastic records.