PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs LJ Wants Out?

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Chiefs' Johnson grouses over use

Last update: September 14, 2008 - 8:50 PM

[/URL] Early in the third quarter, Larry Johnson rumbled up the middle for a 2-yard gain, his 12th carry against the Oakland Raiders.
It turned out to be Johnson's last -- and he didn't like it.
Unhappy with his role in a dismal offense, Johnson lashed out at Kansas City's coaching staff and front office Sunday, saying he didn't see himself being a part of the team in the future.
"Something's going on -- I just don't know what it is," Johnson said after a 23-8 loss to Oakland in the Chiefs' home opener. "I'm going to sit down and talk with someone."
A two-time Pro Bowler, Johnson joined Eric Dickerson and Terrell Davis as the only players to rush for more than 1,750 yards in consecutive seasons (2005 and 2006). He's third on Kansas City's career rushing list in only his sixth season and has been known as a workhorse back, owning Chiefs records for carries in a season (416) and a game (39 in 2006).
He played only seven games last season because of a foot injury and enhanced his reputation for being sullen and brooding by questioning the coaching staff's decisions.
He rushed for 22 yards against the Raiders, with a 1.8 per- carry average, and complained about it afterward.
"I've been here long enough to know that if I'm not getting the ball, then I'm tired," he said. "If I'm not tired and I'm not getting the ball, something's going on, and I've got to deal with it."
[URL="http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/28377459.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU"]link (http://www.startribune.com/help/11601071.html?location_refer=sports:FeaturedCommentAd)

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 04:23 AM
Sorry, I guess this is a repost. I'm in Korea on a completely different time schedule than the USA. Mods, please feel free to delete it - I tried, but couldn't.
KCJ

ChiefJustice
09-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Spoken like the cry baby he has always been.

It's no wonder why this team has had no unity since his arrival.

I can't stand this guy.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Maybe we can get a MLB for him on the trade market. Heaven knows we won't find a QB.

BigRock
09-15-2008, 04:39 AM
I kinda get the sense that people are missing the boat on this one.

"I've been here long enough to know that if I'm not getting the ball, then I'm tired," he said. "If I'm not tired and I'm not getting the ball, something's going on

To me, that's not LJ saying HE wants out. He's saying he thinks the TEAM is trying to phase him out.

country_boy
09-15-2008, 04:40 AM
dang this sucks

ChiefJustice
09-15-2008, 04:42 AM

To me, that's not LJ saying HE wants out. He's saying he thinks the TEAM is trying to phase him out.

Really?

I'm sure that's it's LJ's commitment to this franchise that made him say this.:rolleyes:

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 04:43 AM

I agree, its the team, but the big contract, the holdout, the dismal rushing performances, etc... the writing is on the wall. KC has a deep stable of talented young RBs so that's not an issue. The Chiefs are in no danger of going to the post season. The only one wedded to LJ is Carl, and he's on his way out.

To be fair to LJ, the musical QBs charade and the awful play selection were at least 50% of the problem.

BigRock
09-15-2008, 04:47 AM
Really?

Yep. Just to confirm it, here's an extended version of what he said:

I’ve got to sit back and figure that the writing is on the wall, that this season or next season could be my last season as a Chief,” Johnson said. “I don’t know. But obviously if they’re making personnel changes now and I’m not even in for any of the snaps to (try to) help win this game, then that pretty much says it all.

I’m not dumb. I know what’s going on. I sense what’s going on.

He's saying he thinks the team is trying to move away from him, not the other way around.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 04:51 AM

He's saying he thinks the team is trying to move away from him, not the other way around.

He has a point. Remember greasy Al Davis benched Marcus Allen for 3 years before coming to KC. I'm LJ wants to avoid a similar trap.

ChiefJustice
09-15-2008, 04:57 AM

Wasn't that the same noise we heard when Priest was running the show?

That he wasn't being given the chance?

I am of the opinion that if a club grants you a big pay-day...you prove that you
earned the money.

Why are rookies taking your carries away from you? Because you suck.

Tony G. played on some pretty bad Chiefs teams also.He didn't suck.

That is why Gonzo is going to the HOF.

He is a producer and leader in the face of adversity.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 04:59 AM
They should have phrased him out 2 years ago........either way he still took the majority of the carries, it's not like Charles had more carries than him.

chagrin
09-15-2008, 06:13 AM
He needs to get out of KC so he can save his career; with no o-line and shitty coaching, nobody is going to grow in this franchise during the early stages of the rebuild.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 06:15 AM
He needs to get out of KC so he can save his career; with no o-line and shitty coaching, nobody is going to grow in this franchise during the early stages of the rebuild.

His career is already on the wrong side now.....the only teams that will likely be interested in him if he were to become available some way or another would be bad ones....

FAX
09-15-2008, 06:48 AM
They should have phrased him out 2 years ago........either way he still took the majority of the carries, it's not like Charles had more carries than him.

Phrased him out. I like it. Phrased him out ...

Well, here's the phrase: LJ, you suck. See ya.

FAX

Hog Farmer
09-15-2008, 07:15 AM
To his defense, every ****ing play for the last two years he's been involved in is a run between the tackles. Our O-line couldn't open a ****in toilet lid. Our play calling has GOT to change. Pitch him the ball outside. Jesus ****ing christ.

Fire Me Boy!
09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
To his defense, every ****ing play for the last two years he's been involved in is a run between the tackles. Our O-line couldn't open a ****in toilet lid. Our play calling has GOT to change. Pitch him the ball outside. Jesus ****ing christ.

I don't think that's the playcalling. I think that's LJ. That's what he "likes" to run, so that's all we call for him. We pitch and run to the outside with Charles.

NY CHIEF
09-15-2008, 07:53 AM
We have a ton of cap room, Wouldnt'ROFL it be funny if we just cut him this AM>

CupidStunt
09-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Good. Get rid of the overrated piece of trash.

Kerberos
09-15-2008, 08:17 AM
We have a ton of cap room, Wouldnt'ROFL it be funny if we just cut him this AM>

I would be willing to bet he would be employed (possibly by a division rival) within hours of him being let go. They would try to tade him before releasing him IMO.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I would be willing to bet he would be employed (possibly by a division rival) within hours of him being let go. They would try to tade him before releasing him IMO.

Thank heavens the Raiders don't need him. He'll be a Bolt.

HemiEd
09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Spoken like the cry baby he has always been.

It's no wonder why this team has had no unity since his arrival.

I can't stand this guy.

That is two of us. Even Herm ****ing Edwards could se that LJ wasn't getting it done.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 11:28 AM
The play calling is at least some of the problem. That said, if we are going to threaten opposing defenses with no schematic subtlety and no strategic play calling, then Battle and Savage are the best Chiefs RBs to get behind. At least they can make their own yards.

Mr. Kotter
09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't blame him. :shrug:

The team seems intent on unimaginative playcalling that anyone who's even a casual football fan....can predict. Until and unless he gets a line that can block well, and until and unless he gets the carries he needs to "get going"....he's become the next Jamal Anderson.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't blame him. :shrug:

The team seems intent on unimaginative playcalling that anyone who's even a casual football fan....can predict. Until and unless he gets a line that can block well, and until and unless he gets the carries he needs to "get going"....he's become the next Jamal Anderson.

At least Jamaal Anderson could hide behind two knee reconstructions.

Chiefnj2
09-15-2008, 11:37 AM
LJ is proving that he is smarter than the other 52 starters on the team by beginning to complain and hpe to force a trade from this completely inept team.

Mr. Kotter
09-15-2008, 11:44 AM
At least Jamaal Anderson could hide behind two knee reconstructions.

Yeah, but the OLine that the Chiefs have fielded for the last couple of seasons....could be considered a bigger liability by many folks.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, but the OLine that the Chiefs have fielded for the last couple of seasons....could be considered a bigger liability by many folks.
True dat!

Reerun_KC
09-15-2008, 11:49 AM
What OLine?

Braincase
09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Why waste what usefule years he has left? Think about it. Running backs wear out. If we use him up now, he's of no use to us in two or three years when we could have an o-line capable of opening holes and allowing him to run the way we know he can.

I say limit his carries now, save him for the future. Any overuse of him now will translate to completely wasting the investment.

Micjones
09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Johnson still has value.

He's never set up his blocks particularly well.
He doesn't create on his own. He needs a little more room to work with.
Some inventive playcalling might help. But... Herm's afraid of offensive success.

We'd be foolish to cut him. He's upset. Our offense is completely inept.
We have Herm to thank for that. This is a joke of a football team right now.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Why waste what usefule years he has left? Think about it. Running backs wear out. If we use him up now, he's of no use to us in two or three years when we could have an o-line capable of opening holes and allowing him to run the way we know he can.

I say limit his carries now, save him for the future. Any overuse of him now will translate to completely wasting the investment.

Or trade him for a kicker/MLB that can make a difference.

Chiefshrink
09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Is anybody really surprised?

MVChiefFan
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Kolby Smith did well last year behind the SAME line that LJ would run up behind and fall down. Same thing is going on this year. Larry WAS the man but he's lost it. Whether it's his skill or intensity, I don't know. But, I'll tell ya this, the Larry from 2-4 years ago would not have ducked out of bounds when meeting a db like he did last week against the Pats. He would have lowered his head and made that turd pay for his decision to tackle him. It makes me sick.

FringeNC
09-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Funny take on the situation:

The Chiefs did not rush for 300 yards. And running back Larry Johnson wants to launch an investigation to find out why. His final carry came early in the third quarter and he finished with 22 yards on 12 carries. "Something’s going on — I just don’t know what it is," Johnson said after the game. "I’m going to sit down and talk with someone." It shouldn’t be too hard to find some answers. Herm Edwards can answer any question. Like how do you fix a broken passing game? Play a reserve wide receiver who was promoted off the practice squad four days earlier at quarterback, of course. The interrogation should start with Edwards. It could probably end there, too.

http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/908398.html

JASONSAUTO
09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Kolby Smith did well last year behind the SAME line that LJ would run up behind and fall down. Same thing is going on this year. Larry WAS the man but he's lost it. Whether it's his skill or intensity, I don't know. But, I'll tell ya this, the Larry from 2-4 years ago would not have ducked out of bounds when meeting a db like he did last week against the Pats. He would have lowered his head and made that turd pay for his decision to tackle him. It makes me sick.

ummmmm, sorry to break your bubble BUT smith had 407 yards last year and for mecca's fav stat only 3.6 ypc, very comparable to lj not better
lj 158 att 559 yds 3.5 avg 3 tds
kolby 112 att 407 yds 3.6 avg 2 tds

Hoover
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Send him to Cleveland for Quinn

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 12:34 PM

The Browns are happy with old vet Jamaal Lewis... Offer LJ as more of the same.
Brady Quinn might be the answer here. I was suggesting that in 2006.

JASONSAUTO
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
cleveland already has an older more often injured lj in jamal lewis

J Diddy
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM

If it'll get a deal done throw in my right nut as well

Maybe, just maybe, that's why we kept savage?

Chief Faithful
09-15-2008, 12:36 PM

That would be well worth it.

Hoover
09-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I understand that the have Lewis, but LJ is has more potential.

LJ would LOVE to play in Cleveland where his idol Jim Brown played.

Chief Faithful
09-15-2008, 12:38 PM

They haven't been able to seal the edge since Roaf retired.

KCJohnny
09-15-2008, 12:40 PM
If it'll get a deal done throw in my right nut as well

Maybe, just maybe, that's why we kept savage?

Surgeons, take note.

mlyonsd
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Hope he stays healthy and trade him when the season is over while he's still worth something.

We don't need him and his whining at this point.

RustShack
09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
OR we could just get a line for him to run behind.

RustShack
09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Hope he stays healthy and trade him when the season is over while he's still worth something.

We don't need him and his whining at this point.

We wouldn't get shit for him..

bogey
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
**** him. Get rid of him. Get rid of them all!

Chief Faithful
09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
LJ wants out? It is mutual.

HC_Chief
09-15-2008, 01:26 PM
OR we could just get a line for him to run behind.

How about BOTH? :D

MVChiefFan
09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
ummmmm, sorry to break your bubble BUT smith had 407 yards last year and for mecca's fav stat only 3.6 ypc, very comparable to lj not better
lj 158 att 559 yds 3.5 avg 3 tds
kolby 112 att 407 yds 3.6 avg 2 tds

No need to apologize. You didn't break any bubble. I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about that stat. If you can't look at a football game and see the difference between the Larry of old and the new, pussified Larry compared with the younger guys looking like they actually care to gain some yards then I can't help you. But thanks for the info. :D

BIG_DADDY
09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I feel sorry for anyone who has to play under Herm.

Hog Farmer
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
They haven't been able to seal the edge since Roaf retired.

Well they damn sure sealed the middle, they won't even let our own ****ing running back through!!!!!!!

BigMeatballDave
09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Buh-Bye

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Buh-Bye

That sigROFL

Fire Me Boy!
09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, bye......

http://www.theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/612capture_tombstone03.jpg

Luke
09-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I guess it is obvious to diaper boy that touchdowns and big yardage are not what Herm wants, afterall that;s not football, that's Arena Ball.
Unfortunately when we trade LJ, we will end up playing against him as he will no doubt end up in the ALWest. He has the attitude of a mighty fine Raider.:shake:

HolyHandgernade
09-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm all for the Johnson-Quinn swap. Smith and Charles seem to do fine for where this team is going this year.

-HH

JASONSAUTO
09-15-2008, 03:02 PM
No need to apologize. You didn't break any bubble. I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about that stat. If you can't look at a football game and see the difference between the Larry of old and the new, pussified Larry compared with the younger guys looking like they actually care to gain some yards then I can't help you. But thanks for the info. :D

i can look and see the difference, BUT you said last year smith out performed lj and thats just not true. last year they were equal.

shitgoose
09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
He's Carl Peterson's boy. I say send both of them packing as soon as possible.

StcChief
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
His career is already on the wrong side now.....the only teams that will likely be interested in him if he were to become available some way or another would be bad ones....
LJ has phased himself out... never learned to block (knowing a blocking TE was needed at times he would be called on).... Catch the ball outta backfield... be a diversion at times?????

Good at what he does when Line is there...not a complete back... now with too much money

MVChiefFan
09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
i can look and see the difference, BUT you said last year smith out performed lj and thats just not true. last year they were equal.

We can nitpick everything I said or didn't say but I think you can gather my point from both my posts. LJ is not the same runner he used to be and it's time we stop blaming the line, as bad as they may be, for his futility.

SBK
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
We couldn't get a conditional 7th for LJ. He's done, and we paid him $20,000,000.

Dicky McElephant
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Throw LJ and our 3rd round pick at Cleveland for Quinn.

SBK
09-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Throw LJ and our 3rd round pick at Cleveland for Quinn.

Or keep the 3rd, draft an actual franchise QB with our #1, and figure out which diaper company you can trade LJ to later.

L.A. Chieffan
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, why dont we just trade LJ? Wouldn't that be a great idea? Why don't we do that? Oh, and why don't we fire the GM and the HC too while we're at it? How come we don;t do theese things? It makes sense to me. :shrug: