PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Possible GM candidates of next season

bowener
09-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I see a lot of talk about Marty as GM, and a lot of talk about how stupid that would be. I honestly know nothing about this topic of discussion, so I am choosing not to babble about something I know nothing about, and instead I am asking the higher brains for the opinion I should hold. I am still a n00b, please school me on who the prime candidates are for next year, or the year after, and not just the big name ones, but please include persons who could possibly get something done. Thank you in advance.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Chris Polian - Colts
Reggie McKenize - Packers
Tom Heckert - Eagles
John Schneider - Packers
Rich McKay - Bucs/Falcons

OnTheWarpath58
09-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Chris Polian - Colts
Tom Heckert - Eagles
John Schneider - Packers

Thank God for a real list.

I was fully expecting the first two posts to be begging for Cowher and Marty...

Reerun_KC
09-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Its like people just cant let go of the past....

What is the young guy from NE? Scott Polili? /spelling?

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
For those who like Marty and for those who like the Packers philosophy:
http://www.packers.com/team/staff/schneider_john/

John Schneider
Director - Football Operations

John Schneider, a 15-year NFL personnel veteran, was recently given the title director - football operations; his previous title was personnel analyst to general manager, a position he held for the past six seasons.

Named to his position March 1, 2002, Schneider serves as strategic counsel to General Manager Ted Thompson, addressing and evaluating the needs of the team in both free agency and in the draft, incorporating a long-range planning process that examines the Packers' roster, as well as the rosters of all NFL teams, and takes into account the potential effects of injuries and salary cap issues, and explores possible trade scenarios. The 37-year-old Schneider rejoined the Packers after spending three years with the Kansas City Chiefs (1997-99), one year with the Seattle Seahawks (2000) and a year with the Washington Redskins (2001) as vice president of player personnel.

Schneider, a native of nearby De Pere, Wis., first learned the tools of his trade with the Packers, beginning as an intern during the summer of 1992 under then-Executive Vice President/General Manager Ron Wolf. After graduating from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., Schneider returned to Green Bay, serving as pro personnel assistant for four years (1993-96) and playing an integral role in the signing of several free agents who would help make up the team that won Super Bowl XXXI in New Orleans.

Schneider moved on to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1997 as director of pro personnel, replacing the late Mark Hatley who had resigned to become vice president of player personnel for the Chicago Bears and later served as the Packers' vice president of football operations (2001-04). It was in Kansas City that Schneider first worked with Marty Schottenheimer, whom he would later join in Washington. With the Chiefs, Schneider oversaw the scouting of all players with pro playing experience, including NFL Europe and the CFL, as well as the NFL. He also conducted advance scouting of all Kansas City opponents and assisted in free agent acquisition, playing a significant role in the signing of consecutive team MVPs Andre Rison (1997) and Glenn Parker (1998).

In 2000, he subsequently signed on as director of player personnel for the Seahawks, hooking up with Ted Thompson and Mike Holmgren, with whom he had worked in Green Bay.

Schneider joined Schottenheimer with the Redskins in 2001 as vice president of player personnel, overseeing all aspects of the player personnel department, including college scouting, the college draft, pro scouting, free agency and day-to-day player personnel evaluations and operations. His duties included assembling and managing Washington's scouting staff, a process which involved the hiring of 15 personnel staff members and implementation of a new scouting system. In his role, Schneider advised Schottenheimer on all personnel matters.

Schneider earned a degree in history and also studied education at St. Thomas, playing football for one year before a shoulder injury cut short his career.

Schneider was an all-conference running back at De Pere's Abbot Pennings High School and finished as one of the school's all-time leading rushers, playing on the same team and graduating in the same class (1989) with current fellow Packers staffers Mike Jelenic and Aaron Popkey. He and his wife, Traci, reside in Green Bay with their two sons, Ben, 6, and Jack, 4.

BigRedChief
09-15-2008, 10:59 AM

I still say the first call is to NE and Scott Pioli with full control and $10 milliion a year offer. Maybe he's ready to be out from under Bill's shadow? Doesn't hurt to ask. It's not like your a fool for trying or the other candidates are 2nd rate. They know they are 2nd rate already.

If that pipe dream doesn't work then go on to others.

Reerun_KC
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I still say the first call is to NE and Scott Pioli with full control and $10 milliion a year offer. Maybe he's ready to be out from under Bill's shadow? Doesn't hurt to ask. It's not like your a fool for trying or the other candidates are 2nd rate. They know they are 2nd rate already.

:clap:

sounds like a great idea!

BigCatDaddy
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
What about Charlie Casserly? He went against conventional wisdom and picked Mario Williams over Bush and Young. That looks like the right pick now.

Deberg_1990
09-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Basically look at the successful franchises and target the number two guys.

HC_Chief
09-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Who the $*(%# would want this job? Seriously? Scott Pioli? Are you freaking kidding me?

KC is in HORRIBLE shape right now. On top of that, KC isn't exactly a metropolitan mecca.

When we get a new GM (in 3-5 years if we behave) it will be someone most of us have never heard of.

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 11:02 AM

I would like that to happen as well, kind've like the Royals going after the best candidate and getting Moore at that time.

Goapics1
09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Should go after NaPolian's son. His dad built winners in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. Apple shouldn't have fallen far from the tree, no?

Chiefnj2
09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I believe Chris Polian refused to interview in Atlanta. Some say he'll take over dads job in Indy eventually.

Kerberos
09-15-2008, 11:11 AM
You just have to know that if they send King Carl packing the most likely candidate will no doubt come from within. Denny Thum? Who else is already here? I can see us having Carl Petetrson era #2 with someone he brought in.

:cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead:

Deberg_1990
09-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Who the $*(%# would want this job? Seriously? Scott Pioli? Are you freaking kidding me?

KC is in HORRIBLE shape right now. On top of that, KC isn't exactly a metropolitan mecca.

Come on,

when teams are looking for a new GM, that usually means the franchise is in bad shape. New Gm's dont get just handed the New England Patriots.

$$$$$ Always talks.

There is always a young hungry guy somewhere wanting to carve out his own niche. Thats what Carl Peterson was in 1989.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Denny Thum will end up being the President of the Chiefs, that is a fore gone conclusion but he wont be in charge of football operations which they will bring in a football guy for that. Thum is one of the best executives in the NFL for the business side of football and he was here long before Peterson. The only one on staff for that job is Kuharich. Which is a possibility, but I think it will be Schneider from Green Bay will be the football guy in all honsety. I have known his name for a while but have kept quiet bc of his resume.

CosmicPal
09-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Seems fitting. We knock out their HOF QB in the beginning the season, and then we rob them of their GM at the end of the season.

The rest of the league would just love us. :D

blueballs
09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Holmgren is available
willing is another story

BigRedChief
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I would like that to happen as well, kind've like the Royals going after the best candidate and getting Moore at that time.
I know its a longshot to say the least but give it a shot anyway.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Seems fitting. We knock out their HOF QB in the beginning the season, and then we rob them of their GM at the end of the season.

The rest of the league would just love us. :D

Pioli will never leave New England.

Bank on it.

BigRedChief
09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Pioli will never leave New England.

Bank on it.
Jeezz party pooper. Let us dream in peace.:)

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
In all honesty, New England wouldnt be the team to try to build your team like. The Super Bowl wins yes, but the rest of their philosophies arent exactly stellar. I would look at somebody like Indy, Green Bay, or Pittsburgh.

Pestilence
09-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd go with the guy from Green Bay.

BigRedChief
09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
I'd go with the guy from Green Bay.
Would McCarthy have been a better hire than Herm? And if so how would we have know? He was an unproven coach at the time. He was defintely able to take a low level 1st rounder that was far from a sure thing and make him a NFL QB.

Pestilence
09-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Would McCarthy have been a better hire than Herm? And if so how would we know? He was unproven at the time. He was defintely able to take a low level 1st rounder that was far from a sure thing and make him a NFL QB.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'd rather have McCarthy then Herm right now....but no one knew about him back then. Shit...I'd take Corky from Life Goes On right now over Herm.

WHO THE **** RUNS THE OPTION IN THE NFL!?????!!?!?!?!?!

OnTheWarpath58
09-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'd rather have McCarthy then Herm right now....but no one knew about him back then. Shit...I'd take Corky from Life Goes On right now over Herm.

WHO THE **** RUNS THE OPTION IN THE NFL!?????!!?!?!?!?!

I like Mike McCarthy, but who's to say he wouldn't have been 4-12 with this team last year and 0-2 this year?

He inherited about as good of a gig as you're ever gonna get in the NFL, as did Mike Tomlin.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Would McCarthy have been a better hire than Herm? And if so how would we have know? He was an unproven coach at the time. He was defintely able to take a low level 1st rounder that was far from a sure thing and make him a NFL QB.

He wasn't unproven. He had success in New Orleans, some success in San Francisco and had been a good tight ends coach.

Carl Peterson doesn't work that way. He only wants guys that HE personally worked with in the past. And even though Mike was on the staff for a few years in the 90's, he wasn't a Peterson guy.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I like Mike McCarthy, but who's to say he wouldn't have been 4-12 with this team last year and 0-2 this year?

He inherited about as good of a gig as you're ever gonna get in the NFL, as did Mike Tomlin.

What?

I don't buy that.

4-12
8-8
13-3

They were the youngest team in the NFL last season so I don't buy that he took over a great gig.

OnTheWarpath58
09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
What?

I don't buy that.

4-12
8-8
13-3

They were the youngest team in the NFL last season so I don't buy that he took over a great gig.

They had, and have, a TON of young talent, and one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game

Forget the records and look. He walked into a great situation: Young talent, HOF QB, and a FO that knows WTF it is doing.

Most guys coming into their first HC job are lucky to get one of those three.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
They had, and have, a TON of young talent, and one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game

Forget the records and look. He walked into a great situation: Young talent, HOF QB, and a FO that knows WTF it is doing.

Most guys coming into their first HC job are lucky to get one of those three.

Look, I think Mike is a very good coach, maybe even great. But even he'd tell you that it was no certainty that he'd succeed in Green Bay and especially so quickly.

Buehler445
09-15-2008, 01:37 PM

That is very much a pipedream, but KC would be remiss if they didn't call they guy and tel him he has full control and a blank check.

Odds are it won't happen, but on the off chance that he is looking for a payday, you have to have your bases covered.

Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Carl Peterson doesn't work that way. He only wants guys that HE personally worked with in the past. And even though Mike was on the staff for a few years in the 90's, he wasn't a Peterson guy.

McCarthy kind of left KC with a bad rep in that whole Paul Hackett era.

Its probably why CP never gave him serious consideration.

Anyhow, the whole common denominator in this whole mess is Carl Peterson. Hes the one who hired Herman the clown.

OnTheWarpath58
09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Look, I think Mike is a very good coach, maybe even great. But even he'd tell you that it was no certainty that he'd succeed in Green Bay and especially so quickly.

Whoa.

I'm not saying those things guarantee ANY kind of success.

But they typically don't hurt.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that people want to judge a coach on record alone, when there are a ton of variables that make up that record, and coaching ability is a very small variable, IMO.

McCarthy's done a great job there, but he was also given the resources necessary to succeed. He wouldn't have gotten that here - and there's a good chance he would have failed as well.

Coaches don't win games. Players win games.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
McCarthy kind of left KC with a bad rep in that whole Paul Hackett era.

Its probably why CP never gave him serious consideration.

Anyhow, the whole common denominator in this whole mess is Carl Peterson. Hes the one who hired Herman the clown.

I think Dane knows alittle about McCarthy.

Deberg_1990
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Whoa.

I'm not saying those things guarantee ANY kind of success.

But they typically don't hurt.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that people want to judge a coach on record alone, when there are a ton of variables that make up that record, and coaching ability is a very small variable, IMO.

McCarthy's done a great job there, but he was also given the resources necessary to succeed. He wouldn't have gotten that here - and there's a good chance he would have failed as well.

Coaches don't win games. Players win games.

OK, lets have some fun. Do you think Herm Edwards would have been able to duplicate what McCarthy has done in Green Bay? I certainly dont.

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Herm wouldn't know wtf to do with offensive talent....

BigRedChief
09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
OK, lets have some fun. Do you think Herm Edwards would have been able to duplicate what McCarthy has done in Green Bay? I certainly dont.
nope, nada chance. Farve would still be there and they wouldn't have drafted Rodgers.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2008, 01:55 PM

I don't think that a defensive minded coach is right for a place like Green Bay. They've had 15 years of offensive success with Favre and more than that before with Lynn Dickey and the Majik Man.

The Chiefs and their fans wanted a return of defense. That's what they got with Herm Edwards. It's just that all the pieces aren't in place but they're certainly close.

SBK
09-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I'd hire someone from a successful franchise that has built their team via the draft and has proven to be both good at drafting, and good at being a good team for a long time.

I'd be looking at Pittsburgh, Indy, Green Bay especially.

And I'd make sure to never answer any phone calls from Rich McKay.

Then I'd want to hire a coach who would to bring a crazy attacking defense (46 would be dope), and someone that would also bring an attacking offense. No more fraidy cat football.

Most importantly I'd want a GM and coach that viewed their work as creating a dynasty.

Sure-Oz
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
We need a new DC as well....gunther wore out his welcome last year...

SBK
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
We need a new DC as well....gunther wore out his welcome last year...

I'd be okay if we fired everyone. Start over and bring in a brand new culture.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd be looking at Pittsburgh, Indy, Green Bay especially.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5021897&postcount=22
:D:clap:

The Bad Guy
09-15-2008, 02:07 PM

It's a pipe dream.

The Giants offered Pioli a boatload before promoting Jerry Reese. Pioli grew up near Giants Stadium and was a Giants fan growing up. All his family still lives there.

And he turned them down.

chagrin
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Chris Polian - Colts
Tom Heckert - Eagles
John Schneider - Packers

He said candidates, he meant VIABLE CANDIDATES - geesh :rolleyes:

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
He said candidates, he meant VIABLE CANDIDATES - geesh :rolleyes:

All bc you havent heard of them doesnt make them not viable candidates.

chagrin
09-15-2008, 02:10 PM

When we get a new GM (in 3-5 years if we behave) it will be someone most of us have never heard of.

Thank you for common sense :clap:

chagrin
09-15-2008, 02:11 PM
All bc you havent heard of them doesnt make them not viable candidates.

Dude, are you serious? viable, look it up

chagrin
09-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Should go after NaPolian's son. His dad built winners in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. Apple shouldn't have fallen far from the tree, no?

First of all, good to see you back man :)

Secondly, ask Kurt Schottenheimer, lol!

shitgoose
09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Whoever we get needs to have a firm understanding of what it takes to develop a QB. That is going to be essential seeing how CP has never put been able to put the pieces together to make this happen in his 19 seasons as GM.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 02:16 PM
That is going to be essential seeing how CP has never put been able to put the pieces together to make this happen in his 19 seasons as GM.

Its not just Peterson. The whole freaking organization never has.

shitgoose
09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Its not just Peterson. The whole freaking organization never has.

Your right but it all starts with Carl. He's the President/GM and the one who puts the staff together.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Your right but it all starts with Carl. He's the President/GM and the one who puts the staff together.

No, not talking about that. The whole history of this franchise has never developed a QB.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I believe Chris Polian refused to interview in Atlanta. Some say he'll take over dads job in Indy eventually.

He interviewed there he told them he had no interest in the job because they told him he had to keep the front office people and the coaches and he said because of that he was withdrawing his name from contention for the job.

Ari Chi3fs
09-15-2008, 04:45 PM
**** Carl Peterson the GM’s runnin it
See you ever need rock I’m runnin it
I don’t give a **** about coming back
I pray for another team cause I wanna be a running back
forever forever however
You n******* ain’t paying me so ?? ever
Will I ever back down can I

[/ 'Not' Larry Johnson Rapping]

Deberg_1990
09-15-2008, 04:55 PM
He interviewed there he told them he had no interest in the job because they told him he had to keep the front office people and the coaches and he said because of that he was withdrawing his name from contention for the job.

Sounds like a stipulation that Clark would make. ROFL

Pestilence
09-15-2008, 05:08 PM

I'd take him and get rid of everyone in the FO.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like a stipulation that Clark would make. ROFL

We should probably mark him off the list the Chiefs would likely never give anyone the job with no stips to let him do it how he wants to do it.

Predarat
09-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Floyd Reese will make someone a good GM, he can get good players but needs to manage the cap better.