PDA

View Full Version : Computers New version of VLC Player is out!

DaFace
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I know, it's just an update. Still, when they haven't released an update in nearly two years, it's a momentous occasion!

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Dear VideoLAN users,

After more than two years of development and 100,000,000 VLC media player 0.8.6 downloads, the VideoLAN team is proud to announce the release of VLC media player 0.9.2, codename "Grishenko".

Some of the major changes from 0.8.6 to 0.9.2 include:

* New Qt4 interface for Windows and Linux
* Support for many new codecs (Dirac, Atrac3, APE, ...) and demuxers
* Vastly improved subtitles support
* Media library, Live playlist search, Last.FM support
* Album art support
* Improved metadata support
* Video for Linux 2 support (v4l2)
* DVB support on Windows (BDA)
* Simplified libvlc and Mac OS X development framework
* New localization to Finnish, Persian, Polish, Punjabi and Bulgarian

unlurking
09-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Nice!!!

Fish
09-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Sweet... huge VLC fan.

Mr Luzcious
09-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Excellent, I've been waiting for that Punjabi localization.

DaFace
09-15-2008, 10:17 PM
As strange as it is, the biggest improvement from my standpoint is that they FINALLY added in a play/pause/seek menu that pops up when you move the mouse in full screen view. I've never understood why that wasn't in there from the beginning.

Silock
09-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Strange, it's always been there on the Mac version...

QuikSsurfer
09-16-2008, 12:36 AM
^^ yup

Baby Lee
09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
As strange as it is, the biggest improvement from my standpoint is that they FINALLY added in a play/pause/seek menu that pops up when you move the mouse in full screen view. I've never understood why that wasn't in there from the beginning.

Werdtuthamutha!!!

DaFace
09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Strange, it's always been there on the Mac version...

Yep - I know. I've never understood why the Mac version had it but the PC version did not.

Miles
09-17-2008, 03:10 AM

That was largely what annoyed me with previous versions but now I am annoyed with getting that to fade out / go away.

irishjayhawk
09-17-2008, 01:39 PM
My biggest beef with it was the Playlist/Player being separate windows and when a show ended the player would just vanish.

DaFace
09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
That was largely what annoyed me with previous versions but now I am annoyed with getting that to fade out / go away.

Mine seems to go away without a problem, but for some reason it pops up for a second or two every five minutes or so while watching a video. I dug through their forums, and it seems like a pretty common issue (i.e. people have notified the developers). In the meantime, you can turn it off if you'd like under Prefs--> Interfaces (Advanced Mode)-->Main Interfaces-->Qt.