PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Our best OL?

cdcox
09-15-2008, 10:15 PM
McIntosh is terrible on the right side as accurately predicted by Milkman and a few others.

He wasn't nearly so bad last year on the left side (although the injury concern remains).

I think we would have been better off leaving McIntosh at LT (for one year) Waters at G, Niswanger at C, ??? at G, and Albert at RT.

It would still be ugly, but Albert could dominate on the right side while McIntosh could at least be unterrible on the left. Put a decent run blocker at RG and you might actually be able to run this year.

I thought we'd be able to run left with the current line up. Maybe it will still happen. Right now we seem to be most interested in running between the guards.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't think you could really say any of the linemen are playing well.

Munson
McIntosh should be cut immediately. I don't see how Herb Taylor or Barry Richardson at RT could be any worse.:hmmm:

Iowanian
As bad as the Chiefs look....and if we're really going to be watching Hagans take snaps at QB, I'd really, really rather prefer to see Richardson and Taylor...Hell, I'd rather see De La Puenta take some snaps at OG.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:19 PM
We can't do that see, McIntosh was a big FA acquisition by Carl so he has to play, and Adrian Jones is another one of Herms Jets buddies so they gotta play!

PastorMikH
09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Albert is our heir at LT and he's done better there in 2 games that McIntosh could do. Leave him there and let him learn the job.

McIntosh should be benched or cut. Let Richardson start, if he struggles put a TE there to help him with blocking until he gets up to speed.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
They don't have alot of choice with Albert, it has to be known by next draft if we still need a LT or not.

Iowanian
09-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm fine with Albert at LT. He's making some mistakes, but I think he's holding his own, considering he's still getting up hobbling some plays, and missed most of his first camp.

Actually, I think he's doing remarkable for as much time as he missed.

Waters isn't playing well, Niswanger isn't getting much push and the right side sucks balls.

Buehler445
09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
McInvag needs to ride the pine. He was servicable at LT, so let him back up Albert if we can't cut him.

cdcox
09-15-2008, 10:24 PM
They don't have alot of choice with Albert, it has to be known by next draft if we still need a LT or not.

That's a good point for playing Albert at LT now.

TrickyNicky
09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
We need another tackle and guard. Even if Richardson and Taylor pan out. Hell, look at the Eagles, most of their O-line backups are as good as anyone we have.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
We need another tackle and guard. Even if Richardson and Taylor pan out. Hell, look at the Eagles, most of their O-line backups are as good as anyone we have.

Ok you wanna be like the Eagles...Andy Reids first draft pick as coach of the team was McNabb 2nd overall....their RB was a 3rd round pick.

TrickyNicky
09-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I didn't say draft them first. Just saying we need more.

TrickyNicky
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Oh and hell yes I would love to emulate the Eagles.

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
I didn't say draft them first. Just saying we need more.

We need a bunch of stuff.....starting with competent coaches.

TrickyNicky
09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Is Captain Obvious your gimmick account and you forgot to log him in?

Mecca
09-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Is Captain Obvious your gimmick account and you forgot to log him in?

Shhhh!

Sometimes I get tired of hearing the OL stuff, I think we have some people that would be happy if we had a draft of taking nothing but offensive linemen.

BIG K
09-15-2008, 10:39 PM
McIntosh is terrible on the right side as accurately predicted by Milkman and a few others.

He wasn't nearly so bad last year on the left side (although the injury concern remains).

I think we would have been better off leaving McIntosh at LT (for one year) Waters at G, Niswanger at C, ??? at G, and Albert at RT.

It would still be ugly, but Albert could dominate on the right side while McIntosh could at least be unterrible on the left. Put a decent run blocker at RG and you might actually be able to run this year.

I thought we'd be able to run left with the current line up. Maybe it will still happen. Right now we seem to be most interested in running between the guards.

I could not dissagree with you more. There is absolutely no reason to move Albert out of his spot where he is gaining experience, and doing well I might add, to make room for a broke dick has been who should not be on the roster to begin with. Just because Mc'Igiveupasackintosh' did betteron the left side, does not mean he was any good there either. Mcdumbass looked like shit on the left side too. Get rid of his ass already! Continue to develop Albert at LT and perhaps experiment with a new RG and RT and we are good...

Do not **** up our project at LT, it is going well. The left side is not the problem....The problem is on the right side, and it starts with Mc...

TrickyNicky
09-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Remember when the dive and trap plays actually got more than 1 yard against the Bears vanilla D in preseason, and we were all shitting bricks thinking that it was going to work? Good times, good times...

cdcox
09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
I could not dissagree with you more. There is absolutely no reason to move Albert out of his spot where he is gaining experience, and doing well I might add, to make room for a broke dick has been who should not be on the roster to begin with. Just because Mc'Igiveupasackintosh' did betteron the left side, does not mean he was any good there either. Mcdumbass looked like shit on the left side too. Get rid of his ass already! Continue to develop Albert at LT and perhaps experiment with a new RG and RT and we are good...

Do not **** up our project at LT, it is going well. The left side is not the problem....The problem is on the right side, and it starts with Mc...

I want to do what is best for the long term furture of the offense. Getting Albert experience at the position where we want him is one contribution to that goal. However, maybe by juggling the OL line up, we could have a little bit of a running game this year, a little better pass protection, and not gotten our QB killed, and he would have developed a little more.

I wouldn't say the left side is not a problem, because we can't run anywhere. If the left side were not a problem, we should be able to run left.

I certainly see your point, and it is a good one. I'm just not positive that in the universe of all OL possiblitites this one does the most for the long term future of the offense.

Hence a discussion.

BIG K
09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I want to do what is best for the long term furture of the offense. Getting Albert experience at the position where we want him is one contribution to that goal. However, maybe by juggling the OL line up, we could have a little bit of a running game this year, a little better pass protection, and not gotten our QB killed, and he would have developed a little more.

I wouldn't say the left side is not a problem, because we can't run anywhere. If the left side were not a problem, we should be able to run left.

I certainly see your point, and it is a good one. I'm just not positive that in the universe of all OL possiblitites this one does the most for the long term future of the offense.

Hence a discussion.

If you say that the future is what you are looking at, why would we not continue to develop Albert at LT? Sure, there is the possibility of shaking things up for THIS year. Honestly, the O-Line needs work. But, lets build this. We have, by many accounts, a future LT that will grow. If we plug Mcintosh in, what does that gives us? Another year of so-so LT play? He will be out soon, and the rookie LT will have to learn a new position after playing RT all season long?

As painful as it may be, I say leave Albert where he is. Dump Mcintosh, give Taylor and Richardson a try on the right side. If nothing improves over the season, (Seriously, we're not gonna make the Superbowl anyway) then we can speculate moves on the offensive line. It's not like the Chiefs are one LT or RG away from the playoffs are they?

morphius
09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I think you have to leave Albert and Waters where they are, it is going to take a few games for them to get used to playing next to each other. I still don't know that Niswanger is a good center, he may just be too tall to get any push after hiking the ball. He might be good enough for guard, but I don't think he can stay low at the point of attack after hiking the ball. McIntosh should be the scape goat for the last two games and he should be cut, forced to ride the pine and then cut after the season, but basically he shouldn't be on the field. The guy makes you long for Jordan Black, and thats bad.

cdcox
09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
If you say that the future is what you are looking at, why would we not continue to develop Albert at LT? Sure, there is the possibility of shaking things up for THIS year. Honestly, the O-Line needs work. But, lets build this. We have, by many accounts, a future LT that will grow. If we plug Mcintosh in, what does that gives us? Another year of so-so LT play? He will be out soon, and the rookie LT will have to learn a new position after playing RT all season long?

As painful as it may be, I say leave Albert where he is. Dump Mcintosh, give Taylor and Richardson a try on the right side. If nothing improves over the season, (Seriously, we're not gonna make the Superbowl anyway) then we can speculate moves on the offensive line. It's not like the Chiefs are one LT or RG away from the playoffs are they?

Your plan devlops only the LT postion this season. I'm asking, is there another plan that develops more positions at the expense of waiting a year on Albert at LT? I don't know, but it seems like a waste of year to only develop one position on a crappy offense this year. That is not a rate of progress that will ever lead to the playoffs.

aturnis
09-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Imo, our best OL is:
Albert, Waters, Smith, Niswanger, Taylor.

I agree with Morph. Niswanger is too tall to be an effective center.

kcchiefsus
09-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Ok you wanna be like the Eagles...Andy Reids first draft pick as coach of the team was McNabb 2nd overall....their RB was a 3rd round pick.

Speaking of the Eagles, I happen to love how they have built a solid linebacker corps out of low draft picks. Guys like Omar Gaither and Chris Gocong have turned into solid players despite not being high draft picks.

chiefs1111
09-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Remember when the dive and trap plays actually got more than 1 yard against the Bears vanilla D in preseason, and we were all shitting bricks thinking that it was going to work? Good times, good times...

sighs......

aturnis
09-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Your plan devlops only the LT postion this season. I'm asking, is there another plan that develops more positions at the expense of waiting a year on Albert at LT? I don't know, but it seems like a waste of year to only develop one position on a crappy offense this year. That is not a rate of progress that will ever lead to the playoffs.
How many players does your plan develop? It's ok, I counted zero too.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 01:36 AM
McIntosh should be cut immediately. I don't see how Herb Taylor or Barry Richardson at RT could be any worse.:hmmm:

Wait a few weeks...

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 01:41 AM

Dude, what the **** are you talking about? Seriously.

There's only ONE player on the offensive line that has a long-term future with the Chiefs: Albert.

Waters is ten seconds away from retiring, Jones and D-Mac couldn't make the practice squad for Florida Atlantic and Niswanger is a groin-pull away from missing the better part of the season.

The Chiefs have SO many holes to address that it's not even funny. It's pathetic.

Playoffs? Playoffs?

Maybe IF the Chiefs hit on EVERY draft choice and a few free agents in 2008 and 2009. But they still need a QB.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Speaking of the Eagles, I happen to love how they have built a solid linebacker corps out of low draft picks. Guys like Omar Gaither and Chris Gocong have turned into solid players despite not being high draft picks.

Solid drafts.

Jim Johnson.

Who BTW, isn't Goonther

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Imo, our best OL is:
Albert, Waters, Smith, Niswanger, Taylor.

I agree with Morph. Niswanger is too tall to be an effective center.

Based on what, exactly?

Mecca
09-16-2008, 01:55 AM

They've always done that, LB and WR are positions they devalue. They have never drafted either in the first round since Reid has been there.

But they always overdraft offensive and defensive lineman along with DB's.

Mecca
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Based on what, exactly?

Eh I think that's an over thought out thing, either you can play the position or you can't I can name top notch college centers who stand in pretty close to 6'5.

bringbackmarty
09-16-2008, 03:54 AM
No mecca, its about leverage. a guy who is 6'7 305, is going to have a much harder time in the shoving match with a guy who is 6' 305, and starts only six inches away from his face. Im not saying he can't do his job, and do it well, but the best centers have to to be able to get low on a dtackle, and shorter quicker guys are able to do that more consistently.

now in a fistfight, starting about 3 feet away, 6'7" 305 has an advantage if he can box.

college is also college. Those great 6'5" college centers get to face a lot of 265 lb d-tackles, a la turk mcbride. Practically Every D-tackle in the nfl thats worth a shit is 280 lbs at least.

ChiefJustice
09-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Why isn't Timmy Grunhard our O-line coach?

I mean....c'mon already.

Chiefnj2
09-16-2008, 07:50 AM

Put McIntosh as backup LOT, let Richardson, Jones and Taylor battle it out for RG and RT.

OnTheWarpath58
09-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Time to put this height issue to rest for Niswanger.

The starting center on 19 of 32 teams is over 6'3"

8 of those 19 are 6'4"

There's some pretty damn solid players out of those 8:

Nick Hardwick
Andre Gurode
Matt Birk
Jake Grove
Jamaal Jackson
Kevin Mawae
Casey Rabach

I'm sorry, but his height can't be used as an excuse. There's a quarter of the league that start guys Rudy's size and all are extremely effective.

You can either play, or you can't.

morphius
09-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Time to put this height issue to rest for Niswanger.

The starting center on 19 of 32 teams is over 6'3"

8 of those 19 are 6'4"

There's some pretty damn solid players out of those 8:

Nick Hardwick
Andre Gurode
Matt Birk
Jake Grove
Jamaal Jackson
Kevin Mawae
Casey Rabach

I'm sorry, but his height can't be used as an excuse. There's a quarter of the league that start guys Rudy's size and all are extremely effective.

You can either play, or you can't.
Cool, I know I had heard it, and almost left it out because I hadn't had a chance to research it. The question is if he is able to adjust with it, and I know he played decent at guard before Huard dove into the back of his lknee while trying to dive into his famous fetal position.

FringeNC
09-16-2008, 09:18 AM

I agree with this. I don't think it would hinder Albert's long term development, and it may allow us to better judge Croyle's ability. Now, I remain unconvinced that the play-calling would substantively change if the O-line was better, but it's possible.

The way those are going now, we may as well punt on 1st down.

Another option that has been mentioned is playing Richardson at RT. That option is also better than the status quo. At least Richardson has some upside.

The best option, of course, is to immediately fire Herm Edwards.

BigCatDaddy
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I would like to see Richardson at RG and Taylor at RT. They couldn't do worse and would actually follow the "rebuilding" model we keep hearing about.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2008, 09:39 AM
hard to tell with the crap coaching and crap system ....... but like every other position, when is doubt you go with the young guys.

put Richardson in

philfree
09-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I would like to see Richardson at RG and Taylor at RT. They couldn't do worse and would actually follow the "rebuilding" model we keep hearing about.

I agree. Richardson is said to be a good run blocker so instead of force breaking him into pass protection give him a shot at guard and let Taylor play RT. Will Shields was an OT before we made in a RG.

PhilFree:arrow:

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 09:49 AM

What leads you to believe that they "couldn't do worse"?

Richardson did not play well in the preseason and Herb played the left side (and very well, I might add).

But that's certainly no guarantee (sad as it is to say).

Chiefnj2
09-16-2008, 09:52 AM
They could scour the wire and pratice squads and try to find a TE that can block and line him up next to McIntosh on every single play.

Simply Red
09-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Rebuilding, get over it.

beach tribe
09-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I know these threads are good football talk, but it's not like this staff is going to do any of this. I mean look at this shit lineup.

WHY??!! are Taylor, and Richardson not getting the majority of the reps. It's ridiculous. This staff is ridiculous..........this team is ridiculous.

FringeNC
09-16-2008, 10:27 AM
hard to tell with the crap coaching and crap system ....... but like every other position, when is doubt you go with the young guys.

put Richardson in

Yep, that's why Herm needs to be fired immediately. These guys are not learning a true NFL system, and it will be hard for the next GM/coach to evaluate their potential to succeed in one. This season is one big waste.

When Croyle gets back, it's going to be the same old shit. Running up to middle, and the Hermophiles will claim it's to avoid injury to Croyle. By the end of the season, we'll know nothing about Croyle other than he is injury-prone. Of course, what any smart coach would do is try to limit the 3rd and long sure pass by throwing more on 1st and 2nd and less on 3rd down. Herm makes it more likely that Croyle will get hurt by throwing only on 3rd and long.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Yep, that's why Herm needs to be fired immediately. These guys are not learning a true NFL system, and it will be hard for the next GM/coach to evaluate their potential to succeed in one. This season is one big waste.

Oh, so Brendan Flowers, Brendan Carr, Glen Dorsey, Brandon Albert and DeJaun Morgan are just wasting their time playing in the NFL this year? No experience is gained? What the **** ever.

It appears to me that people that constantly bitch about Herm Edwards are the very same people they don't know a goddamn thing about rebuilding a football team through the draft.

FringeNC
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh, so Brendan Flowers, Brendan Carr, Glen Dorsey, Brandon Albert and DeJaun Morgan are just wasting their time playing in the NFL this year? No experience is gained? What the **** ever.

It appears to me that people that constantly bitch about Herm Edwards are the very same people they don't know a goddamn thing about rebuilding a football team through the draft.

Spoken by the guy who claims Damon Huard is better than Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Spoken by the guy who claims Damon Huard is better than Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers.

**** you.

When did I ever state that?

Oh, and way to deflect the topic at hand, instead of addressing your own stupid bullshit.

FringeNC
09-16-2008, 10:40 AM
**** you.

When did I ever state that?

Oh, and way to deflect the topic at hand, instead of addressing your own stupid bullshit.

It's there...in the archives. Perhaps I'll go to the trouble of digging it up, but probably not. You last sentence is a little ironic, given your previous post.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2008, 10:47 AM

most of those are on defense

defense and offensive lineman ...... sound familiar?

fringe is right ..... at the end of the year are we really going to know what we have on offense?

me personally, im just foregetting offense while Herm is here ... it's pointless. Herm has had like 10 injured quarterbacks under him in the last 3 years and it's no coincidence.

let herm concentrate on defense and making the team younger. Next year we fire everyone and hope the new guy isn't a moron about offense.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
fringe is right ..... at the end of the year are we really going to know what we have on offense?

What did you expect of this season? Seriously. What?

The Chiefs added ONE young offensive lineman and moved a young guard to center. They're playing young quarterbacks and have only ONE proven receiver.

Were you suddenly expecting a reincarnation of the 1999 Rams?

This team has so many ****ing holes on the roster, not to mention an overall lack of depth and talent from 1-53 (or 58).

But you expected to see a great team on the field?

JFC. :shake:

CoMoChief
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
(LT) Albert (LG) Waters (C) Niswanger (RG) A Well Roided up Welbourn (RT) Taylor

I'm wanting to draft Duke Robinson out of OU though. Regardless of what people think about drafting guards in the first round this guy can be an immediate pro bowler.

Chiefnj2
09-16-2008, 10:53 AM

The Chiefs added ONE young offensive lineman and moved a young guard to center. They're playing young quarterbacks and have only ONE proven receiver.

This team has so many ****ing holes on the roster, not to mention an overall lack of depth and talent from 1-53 (or 58).

It's been three years of rebuilding. That's about 26 draft picks and a dozen free agent acquisitions. There should be improvement in at least one aspect of the game.

FringeNC
09-16-2008, 10:56 AM

Why can't we invest in a legitimate NFL system like the 49ers -- with similar offensive talent -- are doing? Sure, they aren't going to put up 33 points and 300 yards passing every week, but at least they are learning a real NFL system. I just don't think the talent-deficiency argument means we have to have the gameplans we have had.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 11:04 AM
It's been three years of rebuilding. That's about 26 draft picks and a dozen free agent acquisitions. There should be improvement in at least one aspect of the game.

You don't see any improvement in the defensive line play or more recently, the secondary?

Additionally, there are so many holes everywhere that can't be addressed immediately. It's not like the Chiefs drafted or signed 4 or 5 starting offensive linemen or 3 new receivers or a whole new linebacking corp.

I see improvement in individual positions but probably not "overall".

That's all we can ask for at this point. Can "this" guy play?

Chiefnj2
09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
You don't see any improvement in the defensive line play or more recently, the secondary?

I'm not sure. At times I think I see glimpses of improvement, but then the Chiefs let a backup QB who hadn't started a game since high school come in and look really good. Then they let the Oakland Raiders in the middle of a huge coaching turmoil come in and kick ass on defense and run the ball for 300 yards.

HemiEd
09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't think you could really say any of the linemen are playing well.

Brian Waters tackles well.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM

first of all it's not just 1 season

no, i didn't expect us to win much

no, i didn't expect us to be great

but ....... i did expect

1. good basic fundamentals
2. a well coached, motivated young team
3. player evaluation as a priority
4. a system and coaching that allowed for proper evaluation

so far i'm getting none of these things

Mr. Laz
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Brian Waters tackles well.

ROFL

yes, yes he does :)

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure. At times I think I see glimpses of improvement, but then the Chiefs let a backup QB who hadn't started a game since high school come in and look really good.

So did the Jets.

Then they let the Oakland Raiders in the middle of a huge coaching turmoil come in and kick ass on defense and run the ball for 300 yards.

The 300 yards thing hurts. It probably has more to do with being on the field all day but it's certainly a concern.

Basileus777
09-16-2008, 11:31 AM
They've always done that, LB and WR are positions they devalue. They have never drafted either in the first round since Reid has been there.

Freddie Mitchell was a first round pick.

Chief Faithful
09-16-2008, 11:54 AM
IMO Albert has proved he is the solution for the next decade at LT so leave him there as the anchor. Waters and Niswanger have proved part of the solution so the problem postions are RG and RT.

I agree that McIntoad is better at LT than RT, but I don't see him as reliable so he would be best as backup LT. Taylor proved last year that he can be a reliable RT so move him up. Richardson is too valuable in the future at RT so let him backup Taylor.

For RG Wade Smith looked better in Preseaon at the position than Jones. Let Smith start at RG and backup C. Jones can serve as RG backup then next year find a young FA or draft a RG in the 2nd or 3rd round.