PDA

View Full Version : Football Ed Hochuli is responding to the e-mails of Chargers fans

BigRock
09-16-2008, 06:02 AM
He messed up, but you gotta give the guy some credit.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/sep/15/chargers-hochuli-earns-most-hated-status/?chargers

Most remarkably, posts on various Internet forums indicated Hochuli replied to hundreds of e-mails from fans Monday. In those e-mails, he apologized for his mistake.

One such e-mail, purportedly from Hochuli, was posted on a SignOnSanDiego forum.

It read:

"I'm getting hundreds of emails – hate mail – but I'm responding to it all. People deserve a response.

You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea ...

Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection – I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry.

Ed Hochuli"

A similar message from Hochuli, with a personalized response to the sender's specific questions, was forwarded to the Union-Tribune. However, responding to a request by the Union-Tribune, Hochuli replied from the same e-mail address, which matched his law firm e-mail address: "I'm sorry ... I can not speak to the press, so I can't respond to this."

HypnotizedMonkey
09-16-2008, 06:11 AM
Ed Hochuli <3 the Donkeys

Deberg_1990
09-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Didnt watch the game but im guessing the Chargers recovered the fumble and that would have ended the game?

If so, why cant the NFL just overule the final outcome of the game and give the win to the Bolts instead of the Donkos?

InChiefsHell
09-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Didnt watch the game but im guessing the Chargers recovered the fumble and that would have ended the game?

If so, why cant the NFL just overule the final outcome of the game and give the win to the Bolts instead of the Donkos?

Problem was, Hercules blew the whistle, which kills the play regardless. Basically, you can't over rule anything, because the play was blown dead, and everything stops at the whistle. The ball had not been recovered before the whistle blew. If it had been, then it would have been Chargers football and end of the game.

triple
09-16-2008, 07:11 AM
it's HULKuli

cdcox
09-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Problem was, Hercules blew the whistle, which kills the play regardless. Basically, you can't over rule anything, because the play was blown dead, and everything stops at the whistle. The ball had not been recovered before the whistle blew. If it had been, then it would have been Chargers football and end of the game.

What is even worse for the Charger fans is the wistle had no effect on the fumble recovery. The Charger immediately recoverd the fumble and no one else was close enough to contest it.

Amnorix
09-16-2008, 07:51 AM
What is even worse for the Charger fans is the wistle had no effect on the fumble recovery. The Charger immediately recoverd the fumble and no one else was close enough to contest it.

Yes.

And double whammy -- a new rules change that went into effect (either this year or last year) would have made that a fumble nad turnover if it had been fumbled by a RB or WR. The new rule is basically something that even if the whistle blows the play dead, a play ruled dead on the field may be overturned on replay review if it was in fact a fumble and it is clear the other team recovered it.

BUT, that doesn't apply to fumbles by QBs where the whistle is blown, as the NFL does NOT want QBs involved in any type of scramble or diving into piles to recover balls after what MAY be a fumble.

BB discussed the complexities of this new rule at length in some of his press conferences. In the long history of football, one rule has always been true -- "play to the whistle". Now it's what? Play through the whistle? Sometimes? WTF.

modocsot
09-16-2008, 08:00 AM
He could have said, "Inadvertent whistle.", right? Or say it came from the stands?

HerculesRockefell
09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
BUT, that doesn't apply to fumbles by QBs where the whistle is blown, as the NFL does NOT want QBs involved in any type of scramble or diving into piles to recover balls after what MAY be a fumble.

And that's why Jeff Fisher, who is on the competition committee, said the chances of the rule is almost certainly not going to get changed even after what happened on Sunday.

gblowfish
09-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm sure he feels very very sorry about the $500,000 Pat Bowlen put in an offshore bank account for him, too.

Frazod
09-16-2008, 09:37 AM
He should change his name to Ed Bronculi.

KCFalcon59
09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
He should change his name to Ed Bronculi.

ROFL

Chief Henry
09-16-2008, 09:58 AM
The rule stinks and the Bronco's are the beneficiary of a horse shit call...period.

cadmonkey
09-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I love the fact that HULKuli flexes everytime he makes a call.

Von Dumbass
09-16-2008, 10:26 AM
He could have said, "Inadvertent whistle.", right? Or say it came from the stands?

No because he did the incomplete motion with his hands before Dobbins recovered the fumble.

InChiefsHell
09-16-2008, 10:26 AM
The rule stinks and the Bronco's are the beneficiary of a horse shit call...period.

The rule is not the problem...if you allowed plays to go on after the whistle blows...what's the point of blowing the whistle...

...but the Bronco's DID benefit from a bullshit call...

DaFace
09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm one of the few around here that actually likes Hochuli. They featured him on "6 days to Sunday" or whatever that show was called on NFL Network a few years back, and the thing I took from it is that he's a perfectionist first a foremost. He screwed up, but I don't honestly think he was intentionally trying to favor the Donks in the game or anything. And the fact that he's responding to emails personally tells me that he feels pretty damn bad about the whole deal.

irishjayhawk
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm one of the few around here that actually likes Hochuli. They featured him on "6 days to Sunday" or whatever that show was called on NFL Network a few years back, and the thing I took from it is that he's a perfectionist first a foremost. He screwed up, but I don't honestly think he was intentionally trying to favor the Donks in the game or anything. And the fact that he's responding to emails personally tells me that he feels pretty damn bad about the whole deal.

Same. People make mistakes. Even the best.

If there's anything to take away, it's the rule needs to be changed/clarified. Every season there's one instance of that. This year it was in the first week.

DeezNutz
09-16-2008, 11:54 AM

Agreed.

Sounds like he's trying to be accountable for his actions. Though he screwed up big time (within the context of a freaking game, which isn't too important in the grand scheme of things), he's setting a positive example for others about how one should face a difficult situation.

Bob Dole
09-16-2008, 12:00 PM
BUT, that doesn't apply to fumbles by QBs where the whistle is blown, as the NFL does NOT want QBs involved in any type of contact sport.

FYP

irishjayhawk
09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
FYP

Chiefs fans should support that rule. We have to QBs who at the first sack are injured.

:rolleyes:

PastorMikH
09-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Ed, don't worry about it. You are an upstanding guy, and even upstanding guys make mistakes from time to time. If you could make sure the Broncos lose the next two games you officiate, we'll call it even. OK?

chief52
09-16-2008, 12:08 PM

I have always been a Hochuli fan. I think he does a great job and is now showing what a stand up guy he is. There is a reason Hochuli has worked so many big games. He is consistently graded out as one of the top officials in the league.

He feels much worse about this than any fan or player.

HemiEd
09-16-2008, 12:15 PM

I like him as well, stand up guy. Everyone is going to make a mistake, this guy is standing up to it.

Boyceofsummer
09-16-2008, 12:23 PM
If he was a party to the call against Gonzales. JFK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hochuli going back to his left. . . . . back and two the left. (he repeats it like a mantra) . . . back and to the left . . . back and to the left."

Dr. Van Halen
09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a blown call that impacted the outcome of the game so clearly.

If Shanahan was a gentleman and a good sport, I suppose he would have acknowledged that the ball should belong to the Chargers and inform the officials and the Chargers' coaches that he would intentionally be forfeiting the game.

It is distinctly immoral and un-American to benefit from so obvious an error and do nothing to rectify it. Shame on him.

And, yes, I intensely dislike the Broncos.

DaFace
09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a blown call that impacted the outcome of the game so clearly.

If Shanahan was a gentleman and a good sport, I suppose he would have acknowledged that the ball should belong to the Chargers and inform the officials and the Chargers' coaches that he would intentionally be forfeiting the game.

It is distinctly immoral and un-American to benefit from so obvious an error and do nothing to rectify it. Shame on him.

And, yes, I intensely dislike the Broncos.

No way Shanny (or any other coach for that matter) would every try to do such a thing. Besides, if Shanahan ever did that, I would have to stop hating him as much.

Buck
09-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I have always been a Hochuli fan. I think he does a great job and is now showing what a stand up guy he is. There is a reason Hochuli has worked so many big games. He is consistently graded out as one of the top officials in the league.

He feels much worse about this than any fan or player.

I'm sure there are plenty of fans who put big money on the Chargers -1.5 who feel a lot worse than Hochuli at this point.

OnTheWarpath58
09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of fans who put big money on the Chargers -1.5 who feel a lot worse than Hochuli at this point.

Tough shit.

That's why it's called "gambling."

Buehler445
09-16-2008, 01:01 PM
No way Shanny (or any other coach for that matter) would every try to do such a thing. Besides, if Shanahan ever did that, I would have to stop hating him as much.

Agreed this would not be rat behavior.

I like "guns" Hochuli. He's always done a pretty nice job that I can see. He always explains wtf is going on and appears to be nutting up for his mistake.

Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
09-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Tough shit.

That's why it's called "gambling."

I know its Tough Shit, I'm just saying that Ed Hochuli is not the one suffering most from this.

Buehler445
09-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I know its Tough Shit, I'm just saying that Ed Hochuli is not the one suffering most from this.

I would beg to differ on this one. People gamble for entertainment for the most part. Hochuli does this for a living. His job. His career. If he doesn't get chosen for playoff/bowl games, he stands to lose a lot of money also.

Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath58
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that.

People who gamble take a risk.

We're talking about a man's livelihood here. His reputation and future is being affected over a mistake.

I gave up a good job as an official when I was younger because I blew a call in a huge game - people found out where I lived, my phone number - I got hate mail, death threats, my car was vandalized.

And to this DAY, I still struggle with forgiving myself for that mistake, knowing how it possibly changed the lives of some high school kids 7 years ago.

Trust me, NO ONE is hurting over this more than Ed Hochuli.

Stinger
09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I love the fact that HULKuli flexes everytime he makes a call.

Apparently

http://withleather.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/hochuli.jpg

:D

KCCHIEFS27
09-16-2008, 01:13 PM
He doesn't referee for a career. It's a side job for him, the guy helped start his own law firm back in the 80's. He's a very well respected lawyer as much as he is respected as a referee. And seriously, the Chargers can whine/cry about how they should have won or they can get back on the horse and play like they have a pair. 0-2 is a hole, but the AFC is wide open. I'd suspect the Chargers could potentially come back from that.

Buehler445
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that.

People who gamble take a risk.

We're talking about a man's livelihood here. His reputation and future is being affected over a mistake.

I gave up a good job as an official when I was younger because I blew a call in a huge game - people found out where I lived, my phone number - I got hate mail, death threats, my car was vandalized.

And to this DAY, I still struggle with forgiving myself for that mistake, knowing how it possibly changed the lives of some high school kids 7 years ago.

Trust me, NO ONE is hurting over this more than Ed Hochuli.

They vandilized your car over a high school game?? **** that.

Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath58
09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
They vandilized your car over a high school game?? **** that.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yep.

Real classy, eh?

But in their defense, it was a district playoff game...

Buehler445
09-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Yep.

Real classy, eh?

But in their defense, it was a district playoff game...

Wow that's ****ed up. That's beyond ****ed up. Most of the cars in western Kansas would be destroyed if we vandalized a car for every blown call.

Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I've been a ref before for basketball for junior high, it can be tough, some people will threaten you after games etc...i'd just ignore it. It was something i did for extra cash, and some of the shit flung by parents are ridiculous. I've never "****ed" up a call but there is always something borderline etc, but i would hate to see the backlash from an absolute mess up. I'm sure hock a loogi feels like shit, absolute shit. The chargers will move on and get in the playoffs, if their defense actually plays!

BigRedChief
09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I wish Ed Houchli was the refree at every game that I watched. You can't do better than him. Humans make mistakes. Ed is hsowing us how to move on. Step up to the plate and take ownership of the error. Take the public flak and move on.

Der Flöprer
09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
I give the guy a lot of credit for responding personally to so many people's email. It's obvious that the guy really cares about what he does out there. Kudos to him for that.

Spott
09-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Because that is the logical thing to do and it would make sense. The only Bronco close to the play(Cutler) didn't hear the whistle and continued to go after the ball and San Diego recovered it.

Boyceofsummer
09-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Ed is like many umpires that I was assigned games with in my younger days. They new all the rules but could not call a game without major decision making mistakes. The speed of the game is beyond them. After a call like Hochuli's I wanted to run and hide from the angry mob erupting before my eyes. Fortunately for Ed this happened in jolly ole Denver.

If Ed had determined that Cutler’s arm had gone forward, which I guess he did, the ball was OBVIOUSLY moving backwards. In that case it is a backward pass and a live ball. I've seen Hochuli's crew ****-up repeatedly in Chiefs games. What about games that I don't see? You can't put lipstick on a pig.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Because that is the logical thing to do and it would make sense. The only Bronco close to the play(Cutler) didn't hear the whistle and continued to go after the ball and San Diego recovered it.

Seriously. The NFL can do whatever it wants to. It can change the rules, or bend them at will.

They need to step up and use some common sense in this case and award the win to the Bolts.

OnTheWarpath58
09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Ed is like many umpires that I was assigned games with in my younger days. They new all the rules but could not call a game without major decision making mistakes. The speed of the game is beyond them. After a call like Hochuli's I wanted to run and hide from the angry mob erupting before my eyes. Fortunately for Ed this happened in jolly ole Denver.

If Ed had determined that Cutler’s arm had gone forward, which I guess he did, the ball was OBVIOUSLY moving backwards. In that case it is a backward pass and a live ball. I've seen Hochuli's crew ****-up repeatedly in Chiefs games. What about games that I don't see? You can't put lipstick on a pig.

Interesting interpretation of the actual rules.

If Hochuli had thought that Cutler's arm had gone FORWARD, and the ball hit the ground, it's an incomplete pass, which he ruled at the time on the field.

OnTheWarpath58
09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Seriously. The NFL can do whatever it wants to. It can change the rules, or bend them at will.

They need to step up and use some common sense in this case and award the win to the Bolts.

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
09-16-2008, 06:16 PM
I doubt Ed will be vacationing in SD anytime soon...

BigMeatballDave
09-16-2008, 06:18 PM

They need to step up and use some common sense in this case and award the win to the Bolts.I agree. MLB did that way back in 1983 with G. Brett's pinetar HR.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Heres another thing: When an NFL ref screws up do they suspend him? What are the repercussions??

How about we start holding these guys accountable for their actions instead of an "Oh, im sorry. My bad"

Skip Towne
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I've never liked the guy but this is changing my mind.

BigRock
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
I e-mailed him. He e-mailed me back.

I'M TOTALLY BROS WITH ED HOCHULI

Over time I will talk him into cheating for the Chiefs.

Rausch
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
If there were any ref in the league I wouldn't want calling my game it'd be Ed Hochuli...

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Personally, I wonder if Hochuli has realized that throwing more flags= higher grade, since there are uncalled penalties on nearly every play to the letter of the law. His crews seem way too flag-happy, IMO.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
If there were any ref in the league I wouldn't want calling my game it'd be Ed Hochuli...

Mike Carey...I also got bitched out by some Wiki editor because after the Chiefs-Chargers SNF game two years ago I edited Jeff Tripplette's bio to say that he's a master of receiving triple anal.

DaFace
09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I e-mailed him. He e-mailed me back.

I'M TOTALLY BROS WITH ED HOCHULI

Over time I will talk him into cheating for the Chiefs.

I did too, but I'm sure he's just got a secretary shipping out canned responses. This was what I got back after basically saying that I thought people were overreacting:

Thank you very much. I fell terrible about what happened, and I do appreciate your words of support. It was very nice of you to take the time to write.

Ed

Still, impressive that he's trying to send a response to people about it, no matter how canned they may be.

Baconeater
09-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Interesting interpretation of the actual rules.

If Hochuli had thought that Cutler's arm had gone FORWARD, and the ball hit the ground, it's an incomplete pass, which he ruled at the time on the field.
Which is a bullshit rule, if the arm goes forward and the ball doesn't it should be fumble no matter what.

Rausch
09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Mike Carey...I also got bitched out by some Wiki editor because after the Chiefs-Chargers SNF game two years ago I edited Jeff Tripplette's bio to say that he's a master of receiving triple anal.

Is there conclusive evidence to prove he isn't?...

Deberg_1990
09-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I did too, but I'm sure he's just got a secretary shipping out canned responses. This was what I got back after basically saying that I thought people were overreacting:

Still, impressive that he's trying to send a response to people about it, no matter how canned they may be.

This is what he really meant to say:

"Thank you very much. I dont really care about what the fans think. Im still collecting my paycheck no matter what happens. Appreciate your words of support but next time i wouldnt waste your time writing since the NFL will never do anything to correct the problem anyways. ***** Off.

Ed"

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I couldn't help myself. I sent him the Hamas-special.

"kill yourself".

Baconeater
09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I couldn't help myself. I sent him the Hamas-special.

"kill yourself".

Thank you very much. I fell terrible about what happened, and I do appreciate your words of support. It was very nice of you to take the time to write.

Ed

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 09:04 PM

:D

Spott
09-16-2008, 09:11 PM

MLB did it back in 83 and the NCAA should have done it on the 5th down game back in 89.