PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Obama's Foreign Policy Advisors

Jenson71
09-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Last night, I went to an open forum with Sarah Sewall and Richard Danzig on campus. When I asked about the question of support to Israel and how that conflicts with Obama's policy of change, Danzig admitted that there was some consistency with Obama and the past presidents.

Danzig said that he thought Palestinian leaders were impressed though with Obama when they met with him. That the leaders (Abbas and company) saw him as a fresh and bright new face in politics.

Oh please. Obama has clearly given an almost total nod of approval to the damaging effect on America that has been a near blind support of Israel for the past 50+ years.

Obama has talked about hunting down bin Laden and fellow terrorists in Afgahnistan, but what is that going to really do? Cut off a regenerating limb? There is no easy answer to this, but I suspect that a killed bin Laden by American forces will create a martyr-cult of him and his goals.

If Obama is serious about change in our foreign policy, he must reorganize his stance on the question of Israel to immensely firm and fair standards policies to both Israel and the Palestinians.

tiptap
09-16-2008, 08:10 AM
So what is your suggestion, some details, that you'd like to see about this confrontation between Israel and Palestine?

Logical
09-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Last night, I went to an open forum with Sarah Sewall and Richard Danzig on campus. When I asked about the question of support to Israel and how that conflicts with Obama's policy of change, Danzig admitted that there was some consistency with Obama and the past presidents.

Danzig said that he thought Palestinian leaders were impressed though with Obama when they met with him. That the leaders (Abbas and company) saw him as a fresh and bright new face in politics.

Oh please. Obama has clearly given an almost total nod of approval to the damaging effect on America that has been a near blind support of Israel for the past 50+ years.

Obama has talked about hunting down bin Laden and fellow terrorists in Afgahnistan, but what is that going to really do? Cut off a regenerating limb? There is no easy answer to this, but I suspect that a killed bin Laden by American forces will create a martyr-cult of him and his goals.

If Obama is serious about change in our foreign policy, he must reorganize his stance on the question of Israel to immensely firm and fair standards policies to both Israel and the Palestinians.A reasonable suggestion for an elected President, not a candidate for President, you lose the Jewish block of voters as a Democratic candidate you won't be elected it is really that simple.

BigChiefFan
09-16-2008, 08:18 AM
You have to stay neutral at this point.

tiptap
09-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Can you give us even a jaundiced view of what was said about the rest of the foreign policy discussion?

BucEyedPea
09-16-2008, 08:52 AM
You have to stay neutral at this point.

Actually, I really wonder if that's true or just one of those things we hear all the time. If anything it would lose the Christian Right vote more. I am surprised at how many Jewish people in America agree with the first post. Most of them are liberal. (In fact J-Street 9 which I've joined) was formed as a response to AIPAC, which doesn't even reflect the views of most Jewish Americans. More of them support Obama anyway.

HolmeZz
09-16-2008, 12:08 PM

If Obama is serious about change in our foreign policy, he must reorganize his stance on the question of Israel to immensely firm and fair standards policies to both Israel and the Palestinians.

I agree with you, but Obama is in an impossible spot with Israel. You already have people convinced he's a Muslim and if you have him in any way, shape, or form diminishing or downsizing our relationship with Israel, he's toast.

irishjayhawk
09-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Get elected and then in act change. Simple as that.

People don't like change.

Jenson71
09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
So what is your suggestion, some details, that you'd like to see about this confrontation between Israel and Palestine?

Personally, I would be strict towards Israel. They would have to move back to the 1967 boundaries or all funding, except for in humanitarian relief, would be halted.

Jenson71
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Can you give us even a jaundiced view of what was said about the rest of the foreign policy discussion?

Well, the talk about rebuilding the infrastructure of Afghanistan was interesting. The two seemed to really want to root out the opium industry by creating long-term alternatives to the farmers there and also work on building more roads.

They talked a bit about how Obama would not have a black and white philosophy, but would recognize that the world is complicated and multi-layered and would not speak in absolutes ("evil") and would take cautionary steps in dealing with other leaders.

irishjayhawk
09-16-2008, 03:24 PM

I'd like to see us drop support on one side of a conflict that stems from centuries ago. A feud before the Constitution came about. And that picking of a side has caused us great strife as well as monetary drain. And for what?