PDA

View Full Version : General Politics CNN's Crowley - Obama campaign rooting for horrific Wall St. headlines.

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 01:44 PM
http://media.newsbusters.org/stories/cnns-crowley-obama-team-wanted-horrific-wall-street-headlines.html

CNN's Crowley: Obama Team Wanted 'Horrific' Wall Street Headlines
By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
September 16, 2008 - 11:20 ET

Do you think the recent stock market collapse or troubles in the banking system are good news?

Well, according to CNN's Candy Crowley, the Obama campaign does.

On Monday's "Anderson Cooper 360," after CNN senior political analyst David Gergen said "what happened over the weekend with the economy and the bottom falling out of the financial markets...is the opportunity for Obama to seize the momentum back on his side," Crowley actually said, "[J]ust as foreclosures were showing up on B-17, or in the real estate section, along comes this horrific headline out of Wall Street...I mean, this is what they wanted."

I kid you not. The transcript of this disgraceful exchange follows (video embedded right, h/t Steve Malzberg):

Story Continues Below Ad ↓

DAVID GERGEN, CNN SENIOR POLITICAL ANALYST: But what happened over the weekend with the economy and the bottom falling out of the financial markets -- and we have been saying for some time on this program this is the worst financial crisis since the Depression -- Alan Greenspan said on Sunday the worst economic situation he's seen -- it seems to me that there's a real turning point now, that that momentum on McCain's side is likely to fade. And there is the opportunity for Obama to seize the momentum back on his side. I don't know if he's going to do it or not. He is trying. McCain has an opportunity here as well. But there's no question right now that this -- this really dark economic situation is now going to be -- is going to really -- is going to, I think, blot out a lot of this question about who -- the backing-and-forthing and the advertising, and focus on the issues.

ANDERSON COOPER, HOST: Right.

GERGEN: And that's what -- that's what Obama has wanted to do. He's now got the opportunity.

I think, personally, he's got the critique down, but he still hasn't provided a message about what he would do, nor has he really surrounded himself, in the way he needs to, with the Bob Rubins and the Paul Volckers and the Larry Summers and Laura Tysons, and have them as a tight unit. I think he still has to do that.

COOPER: Candy, no doubt -- very quickly -- on the campaign trail, it obviously played a big role today. You anticipate, in the days ahead, issue number one, it's going to be front and center?

CANDY CROWLEY, CNN: Oh, absolutely.

I mean, listen, just as foreclosures were showing up on B-17, or in the real estate section, along comes this horrific headline out of Wall Street.

COOPER: Right.

CROWLEY: I mean, this is what they wanted. They believe, of course, that the economy is one of their strengths and that they can paint John McCain as George Bush.

Isn't that nice? The nation's banking system is collapsing, and members of CNN are not only discussing how it helps Obama, but are admitting that this is what his campaign wanted.

How disgraceful.

ChiTown
09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Country First!

jAZ
09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Conjecture reported as objectionable facts is in itself objectionable.

Ultra Peanut
09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Kill yourself.

ChiTown
09-16-2008, 01:53 PM
The falling economy is a left wing conspiracy. It's true.

jiveturkey
09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
McCain camp cross fingers and hopes for terrorist attacks.

ChiTown
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
McCain camp cross fingers and hopes for terrorist attacks.

That's a quality deflection right there. 2 points!

SBK
09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Conjecture reported as objectionable facts is in itself objectionable.

As opposed to the jAZ standard of just making stuff up?

SBK
09-16-2008, 02:04 PM
As opposed to the jAZ standard of just making stuff up?

Let me clarify this. Posting stuff that other people just made up. ;)

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Kill yourself.

You stay classy, Pat.

http://caosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/pat.jpg

ChiTown
09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
You stay classy, Pat.

http://caosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/pat.jpg

ROFL

jAZ
09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Let me clarify this. Posting stuff that other people just made up. ;)
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't ever recall posting a thread like this.

Let's compare this to my "2 weeks" thread.

I posted a thread with links to an MSNBC report that unnamed sources said that XYZ was going to happen.

XYZ didn't happen and the information reported by MSNBC was obviously ultmiately wrong.

But the details were reported properly and posted respectably by me.

Here we have Newsbusters reporting a story not MSNBC. That's fine, their story isn't that they have insider sources telling them Obama's campaign in cheering at this. No, they have a reporter from CNN.

Ok, but what did she say?

She didn't claim to have any sourcing either.

The REPORTER just made her claim up whole cloth. And Newsbusters reported the reporters conjecture as she was reporting a fact. She didn't even claim unnamed sources tell her.

She's just spouting off.

Big distinction between actual reporting that turns out false and prima facie bullshit echoed by Newsbusters and booter.

Newsbusters would be just a accurate to quote someone from Chiefsplanet saying that Obama was cheering this news. The report isn't based in fact or anyone even claiming it's fact. It's just bullshit being echoed as outrage.

BIG_DADDY
09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I can't believe anyone would question jaz's objectivity.

Earthling
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm.....Bootlegged, your post was hardly worth the effort of posting. In essence, someone "supposes" that the Obama camp was wanting terrible headlines about the wall street crunch. Wheres the beef?

WilliamTheIrish
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Horrible thread.

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Hmmmm.....Bootlegged, your post was hardly worth the effort of posting. In essence, someone "supposes" that the Obama camp was wanting terrible headlines about the wall street crunch. Wheres the beef?

Good post.

ChiTown
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Horrible thread.

It's as equally worthless as anything else I read from the Libbies.

WilliamTheIrish
09-16-2008, 03:18 PM
It's as equally worthless as anything else I read from the Libbies.

Link me to anything comparable. Bootlegged quoted a CNN correspondent. Then passed it off as something said by the Obama campaign. That's just a horrible misrepresentation.

It deserves derision, not a finger point and "They do it too".

Like I said, feel free to link me to anything comparable.

SBK
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
On a side note, isn't it a given that headlines that favor a persons campaign would be something they'd want?

Not disaster mind you, I don't believe for a second that a candidate wants a nuclear bomb to go off so they can win an election or something, but isn't it assumed that news that sways the public into voting for a particular candidate is what they'd want?

To me this is a giant no story.

bkkcoh
09-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Link me to anything comparable. Bootlegged quoted a CNN correspondent. Then passed it off as something said by the Obama campaign. That's just a horrible misrepresentation.

It would be bad if someone in the campaign would say something like that!

It is bad for the media to imply that someone from a campaign would say something like that. It would be terrible if the media would say that the republicans wish for a terrorist event prior to the election also.

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Umm - did you read the title, chief? Did CNN's Crowley not say that?

WilliamTheIrish
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Umm - did you read the title, chief? Did CNN's Crowley not say that?

Ummm. Yes I did chief. I read it just as you meant for it be read.

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
You ladies are REALLY pissy today. :deevee: Typical D's.

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Ummm. Yes I did chief. I read it just as you meant for it be read.

So this is just whining then..

jAZ
09-16-2008, 04:13 PM
...Isn't that nice? The nation's banking system is collapsing, and members of CNN are not only discussing how it helps Obama, but are admitting that this is what his campaign wanted.

How disgraceful.
It's false reporting by Newsbusters to state that CNN Is "admitting" anything. They are "supposing".

RJ
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Ok, I get it. This is like a make believe thread, there's not really anything to it at all. I feel silly now. :doh!:

WilliamTheIrish
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
So this is just whining then..

LMAO

I'll try again. You post a link with clear intent. Get called on it. Feign innocence (CNN did it!!!111). Then claim somebody else is whining when you get called on it.

You're like the Herm of DC.

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm sure his campaign was rooting for a 1000pt gain in the market. That's it.

jAZ
09-16-2008, 04:31 PM

Pretty soon Newsbusters is going to write story about your speculation here and pretend it's an admission.

WilliamTheIrish
09-16-2008, 04:32 PM

So this is just whining then?

Bootlegged
09-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I guess if you didn't care you wouldn't respond. Awww.

Ultra Peanut
09-16-2008, 05:22 PM
You stay classy, Pat.

http://caosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/pat.jpgKill. Yourself.

ROFLReally? It's still funny, after six thousand times he's already posted that in response to me?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
****tardery of the highest order.

Bootlegged
09-17-2008, 07:02 AM
****tardery of the highest order.

Quorum has been met.

Heshe
jAZ
Hamas
Holmezz

Let the whining and deflections begin.