PDA

View Full Version : Elections Bad voter applications found

Bill Parcells
09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Guess who?

Clerks see fraudulent, duplicate forms from group
BY L.L. BRASIER FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER September 14, 2008

Several municipal clerks across the state are reporting fraudulent and duplicate voter registration applications, most of them from a nationwide community activist group working to help low- and moderate-income families.

The majority of the problem applications are coming from the group ACORN, Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, which has a large voter registration program among its many social service programs. ACORN's Michigan branch, based in Detroit, has enrolled 200,000 voters statewide in recent months, mostly with the use of paid, part-time employees.

"There appears to be a sizeable number of duplicate and fraudulent applications," said Kelly Chesney, spokeswoman for the Michigan Secretary of State's Office. "And it appears to be widespread."

Chesney said her office has had discussions with ACORN officials after local clerks reported the questionable applications to the state. Chesney said some of the applications are duplicates and some appear to be names that have been made up. The Secretary of State's Office has turned over several of the applications to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

The U.S. Attorney's Office on Friday declined to confirm whether an investigation was taking place.

In recent years, ACORN's voter registration programs have come under investigation in Ohio, Colorado, Missouri and Washington, with some employees convicted of voter fraud.

ACORN officials said they were looking into the problem.

"We'll do an investigation to see what's happening," said David Lagstein, a spokesman for the Detroit office. "If it's really as many as that, it warrants further investigation."

In Pontiac, where several thousand applications have been submitted by ACORN in the last few weeks for the November election, the clerk's office is finding that numerous applications are sometimes filed under one name.

"What it causes is a slowdown of our operations," said Pontiac City Clerk Yvette Talley. "They're steadily coming in, and we are finding a huge number of duplications."

Talley said she could not provide an exact number.

Clerks are required to check their records against a statewide database of all registered voters within their jurisdiction, so it would be unlikely that duplications would allow voters to cast their votes more than once, Talley said.

"We catch them all, but it's taking up a lot of our time," she said.

In Oak Park, clerk Sandra Gadd said they have been seeing "lots of duplication" from ACORN in recent months but were reassured by ACORN officials that the group was working to correct the problem.

"They've been very cooperative," Gadd said. "I spoke with them this week. They called me, and they're willing to go door-to-door to do whatever they have to do to take care of this."

ACORN is the nation's largest community organization for low- and moderate-income families. Created more than 30 years ago, it has branches in 100 cities and claims 350,000 families as members. It works to help create affordable housing and health care, and to improve job conditions and neighborhood schools.

Lagstein said ACORN's Detroit office has hired dozens of employees for the voter registration program and that any problems likely stem from sloppiness or incompetence -- not an intent to let people vote more than once.

"We're proud of our efforts to increase voter registration, and we have aggressive training for our staff to make sure the cards are filled out appropriately," he said.

ACORN has a method to track the workers who filled out individual registration cards, which will allow investigators to question the workers, Lagstein said.

"We certainly do our best to keep the duplications as low as possible, so we'll have to evaluate what's happening here," he said.

Contact L.L. BRASIER at 248-858-2262 or brasier@freepress.com.

Good old ACORN (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008809140383#pluckcomments)

Bill Parcells
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
The ACORN Obama Knows
by Michelle Malkin

If you don't know what ACORN (the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now) is all about, you better bone up. This left-wing group takes in 40 percent of its revenues from American taxpayers -- you and me -- and has leveraged nearly four decades of government subsidies to fund affiliates that promote the welfare state and undermine capitalism and self-reliance, some of which have been implicated in perpetuating illegal immigration and encouraging voter fraud. A new whistleblower report from the Consumer Rights League claims that Chicago-based ACORN has commingled public tax dollars with political projects.

Who in Washington will fight to ensure that your money isn't being spent on these radical activities?

Don't bother asking Barack Obama. He cut his ideological teeth working with ACORN as a "community organizer" and legal representative. Naturally, ACORN's political action committee has warmly endorsed his presidential candidacy. ACORN head Maude Hurd gushes that Obama is the candidate who "best understands and can affect change on the issues ACORN cares about" -- like ensuring their massive pipeline to your hard-earned money. Let's take a closer look at the ACORN Obama knows.

Last July, ACORN settled the largest case of voter fraud in the history of Washington State. Seven ACORN workers had submitted nearly 2,000 bogus voter registration forms. According to case records, they flipped through phone books for names to use on the forms, including "Leon Spinks," "Frekkie Magoal" and "Fruto Boy Crispila." Three ACORN election hoaxers pleaded guilty in October. A King County prosecutor called ACORN's criminal sabotage "an act of vandalism upon the voter rolls."

The group's vandalism on electoral integrity is systemic. ACORN has been implicated in similar voter fraud schemes in Missouri, Ohio and at least 12 other states. The Wall Street Journal noted: "In Ohio in 2004, a worker for one affiliate was given crack cocaine in exchange for fraudulent registrations that included underage voters, dead voters and pillars of the community named Mary Poppins, Dick Tracy and Jive Turkey. During a congressional hearing in Ohio in the aftermath of the 2004 election, officials from several counties in the state explained ACORN's practice of dumping thousands of registration forms in their lap on the submission deadline, even though the forms had been collected months earlier."

In March, Philadelphia elections officials accused the nonprofit advocacy group of filing fraudulent voter registrations in advance of the April 22nd Pennsylvania primary. The charges have been forwarded to the city district attorney's office.

Under the guise of "consumer advocacy," ACORN has received money from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. HUD funds hundreds, if not thousands, of left-wing "anti-poverty" groups across the country led by ACORN. Last October, HUD announced more than $44 million in new housing counseling grants to over 400 state and local efforts. The White House has increased funding for housing counseling by 150 percent since taking office in 2001, despite the role most of these recipients play as activist satellites of the Democratic Party. The AARP scored nearly $400,000 for training; the National Council of La Raza ("The Race") scooped up more than $1.3 million; the National Urban League raked in nearly $1 million; and the ACORN Housing Corporation received more than $1.6 million.

As the Consumer Rights League points out in its new expose, the ACORN Housing Corporation has worked to obtain mortgages for illegal aliens in partnership with Citibank. It relies on undocumented income, "under the table" money, which may not be reported to the Internal Revenue Service. Moreover, the group's "financial justice" operations attack lenders for "exotic" loans, while recommending 10-year interest-only loans (which deny equity to the buyer) and risky reverse mortgages. Whistleblower documents reveal internal discussions among the group that blur the lines between its tax-exempt housing work and its aggressive electioneering activities. The group appears to shake down corporate interests with relentless PR attacks, and then enters "no lobby" agreements with targeted corporations after receiving payment.

Republicans have largely looked the other way as ACORN has expanded its government-funded empire. But finally, a few conservative voices in Congress have called for investigation of the group's apparent extortion schemes. This week, GOP Reps. Tom Feeney, Jeb Hensarling and Ed Royce called on Democrat Barney Frank, chair of the House Financial Services Committee, to convene a hearing to probe potential illegalities and abuse of taxpayer funds by ACORN's management and minions alike.

Where does the candidate of Hope and Change -- the candidate of Reform and New Politics -- stand on the issue? Barack Obama, ACORN's senator, is for more of the same old, same old subsidizing of far-left politics in the name of fighting for the poor while enriching ideological cronies. It's the Chicago way.

Obama and good old ACORN (http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2008/06/25/the_acorn_obama_knows)

BigCatDaddy
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
So that's what a community organizer does.

jAZ
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
This seems to be being handled pretty well by all sides. Good work to all.

jiveturkey
09-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Prosecute and put an end to this.

bkkcoh
09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Prosecute and put an end to this.

The same with money and cigs for votes.

jiveturkey
09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
The same with money and cigs for votes.All of it.

Don't **** with the voting system.

bkkcoh
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
All of it.

Don't **** with the voting system.

Then you support a picture ID required to validate that you say who you are before voting? That isn't a form of discrimination?

And someone from a political campaign to take bus loads of people to the polling places to vote?

jiveturkey
09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Then you support a picture ID required to validate that you say who you are before voting? That isn't a form of discrimination?

And someone from a political campaign to take bus loads of people to the polling places to vote?I don't require photo ID. What if you lost your wallet? When I go to vote they have a list of registered voters. I give them my name and I vote. Pretty simple.

I also don't have a problem with transporting people to their local voting place. I don't care who takes them. Voting shouldn't be reserved for those with cars or the ability to walk.

Voting has always seemed straight forward to me and the past couple of years have been a total disgrace to democracy IMO. I'm sure that shady business has been going down long before I was paying attention though.

bkkcoh
09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't require photo ID. What if you lost your wallet? When I go to vote they have a list of registered voters. I give them my name and I vote. Pretty simple.
But do you think it should be required, I personally do. That would decrease the voter fraud a little bit.

I also don't have a problem with transporting people to their local voting place. I don't care who takes them. Voting shouldn't be reserved for those with cars or the ability to walk.

I personally think it should be a national holiday to eliminate the 'I had to work' excuse. I don't think it is right for a political campaign or party to transport people to the polling places. People might feel obliged to vote for who ever brought them to the polling place.

Voting has always seemed straight forward to me and the past couple of years have been a total disgrace to democracy IMO. I'm sure that shady business has been going down long before I was paying attention though.

And it should be stopped as much as possible. All people should be able to vote, but it should be legit.

jiveturkey
09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
But do you think it should be required, I personally do. That would decrease the voter fraud a little bit.That's tough because that might be the only reason that you need the ID. Some people just want to stay off the grid, while others are just lazy. Neither should keep you from being allowed to vote. Reducing fraud is a priority though. I hope that someone smarter than me can come up with another way.

I personally think it should be a national holiday to eliminate the 'I had to work' excuse. I don't think it is right for a political campaign or party to transport people to the polling places. People might feel obliged to vote for who ever brought them to the polling place.I love the national holiday idea. I still don't care how they get there. If you vote based on your ride you're probably just as likely to vote based on some other stupid reason.

And it should be stopped as much as possible. All people should be able to vote, but it should be legit.100% agree

tiptap
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
How did we get from false registrations to voting fraud? ACORN had workers who took shortcuts to getting their quota of REGISTRATIONS so they'd get paid. But none of those attempted false registrants showed up at the polls to vote even once. Mmmm it is a stretch there gentlemen. ACORN was equally wronged for not getting real voters and paying for it. They were responsible for oversight.

***SPRAYER
09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
John Fund is most concerned about a new provision under Help America Vote Act of 2002 that will allow those who believe they have been mistakenly left off voter rolls to cast a provisional ballot, which will be counted if their registration is found to be valid.

Voters may very well attempt to cast provisional ballots in different precincts. Moreover, because these ballots are examined after all other votes have been counted, Fund worries that any election decided by provisional votes will instigate a legal civil war (see, for example, the 35-day delay in deciding this 2002 Colorado House race; Fund has more on provisional ballots here).

You aint seen nothing yet

http://politicscentral.com/2006/10/03/the_glenn_and_helen_show_john.php

***SPRAYER
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Here's another great article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120943129695651437.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries

Programmer
09-16-2008, 08:20 PM

And someone from a political campaign to take bus loads of people to the polling places to vote?

I have no problem with a photo ID. I wouldn't have a problem with a fingerprint scan for ID when voting.

I wouldn't have a problem with a political action group giving people rides to vote, if they were only busing them to a polling location.

Silock
09-16-2008, 11:17 PM

The problem is two fold. I mean, you want to make sure that the people voting ARE who they SAY they are to prevent fraud. On the other hand, the IDs cost money. So, obviously there's a problem with no easy solution. You'd have to raise taxes to pay for free IDs for everyone.