PDA

View Full Version : Environment McCain camp pulls "sexist" card on Tina Fey's Palin Portrayal...

Taco John
09-17-2008, 12:15 AM
McCain camp calls Fey's Palin portrayal ‘sexist’

In a war of words reminiscent of Vice President Dan Quayle taking on television character Murphy Brown in the 1992 presidential election, John McCain’s camp is slamming Tina Fey’s impersonation of Governor Sarah Palin on “Saturday Night Live,” while Cindy McCain is calling out the ladies of “The View.”

“SNL” had its highest rated season premiere since 2002, but some members of the McCain campaign were not laughing.

Millions of viewers tuned in to see “30 Rock” star and “SNL” alum Tina Fey portray Sarah Palin alongside Amy Poehler, who did her Sen. Hillary Clinton impression.

“The portrait was very dismissive of the substance of Sarah Palin, and so in that sense, they were defining Hillary Clinton as very substantive, and Sarah Palin as totally superficial,” McCain advisor Carly Fiorina told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell on Monday. “I think that continues the line of argument that is disrespectful in the extreme, and yes I would say sexist.”

The Fey/Poehler sketch satirized such topics as Palin’s religious beliefs and foreign policy.

“Just because Sarah Palin has different views than Hillary Clinton does not mean that she lacks substance. She has a lot of substance,” Fiorina said.

Palin, on the other hand, found the sketch amusing, according to her spokesperson. The governor and the press corps watched the sketch in the back of her plane, laughing at Tina and Amy’s satirical take on the two politicians.

“She thought it was quite funny, particularly because she once dressed up as Tina Fey for Halloween,” Palin spokesperson Tracey Schmitt told CBS.

And the lashings from the McCain camp didn’t just stop with Tina Fey — Cindy McCain also called out the ladies of “The View” after their appearance on the daytime talk show last week.

“In spite of what you see in the newspapers, and on shows like ‘The View’ — I don’t know if any of you saw ‘The View’ yesterday, they picked our bones clean — in spite of what you see, that’s not what the American people are saying and what they are believing,” Cindy McCain said at the 119th annual Oakland County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day Dinner, Saturday night in Michigan, according to ABC News’ Arnab Datta.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26743182

Bowser
09-17-2008, 12:18 AM
LMAO

Pure gold.

Direckshun
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
And the distractions keep on coming.

Honestly. This is ****ing ridiculous. Three fifths of the major financial institutions in this country are down, and this is the shit MSNBC.com is dedicating bandwidth to.

McCain is playing these media feifdoms like children, and playing them well.

You Republicans are right to be proud of his campaign.

irishjayhawk
09-17-2008, 12:21 AM
I think this tweet sums it up:

@vppalin: you have an interesting, new, conservative definition of sexism, in which being called "hot" is ok but "liar" is not.

Donger
09-17-2008, 12:22 AM
“She thought it was quite funny, particularly because she once dressed up as Tina Fey for Halloween,” Palin spokesperson Tracey Schmitt told CBS.

So, which is it?

Direckshun
09-17-2008, 12:23 AM

So, which is it?

Exactly.

This is a non-starter. It's not substantial. It's a flashy object to distract the media long enough to get the subject off the economy and issues of substance and onto Lipstick On A Pig type asshattery.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread reach 100 replies, too. Honestly, we're doing this to ourselves.

Bowser
09-17-2008, 12:23 AM

So, which is it?

She's just trying to deflect attention away from her knocked up teenage daughter.

Bowser
09-17-2008, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread reach 100 replies, too. Honestly, we're doing this to ourselves.

Anything I can do to help. :D

irishjayhawk
09-17-2008, 12:25 AM

So, which is it?

The campaign said one thing. Palin said another.

So, no one is actually wrong in suggesting the McCain camp pulled the sexist card.

Donger
09-17-2008, 12:27 AM
The campaign said one thing. Palin said another.

So, no one is actually wrong in suggesting the McCain camp pulled the sexist card.

I would imagine that Palin's opinion has more weight.

Direckshun
09-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I personally think the sexist card is out. So is the racist card. These cards are automatically drawn, de facto, in high octane races involving people of different genders or races. Impossible for them not to be.

What this is has nothing to do with sexism, and has more to do with creating distractions to redirect conversation from issues that MATTER to pretend falsities that DON'T.

jAZ
09-17-2008, 12:29 AM
When two women do a skit where one female character looks stupid and another looks smart... how is that remotely sexist?

Logical
09-17-2008, 12:35 AM
I personally think the sexist card is out. So is the racist card. These cards are automatically drawn, de facto, in high octane races involving people of different genders or races. Impossible for them not to be.

What this is has nothing to do with sexism, and has more to do with creating distractions to redirect conversation from issues that MATTER to pretend falsities that DON'T.Face facts SNL is written by liberals and they wanted to contrast Palin with what Hillary is all about. They did it and they did it in a really funny way. the McCain camp has to start to be worried. Palin is starting to be persecuted for her RWNJ beliefs.

Direckshun
09-17-2008, 12:35 AM
I would imagine that Palin's opinion has more weight.

And why, oh why, do you suspect McCain's spokesperson would say differently?

ROYC75
09-17-2008, 12:36 AM
The McCain camp and Cindy would be wise to shut this one up and let it go . Fact McCain was bombarded by the view, it was political suicide to go on a show that was so full of democratic liberalism, he was in a no win situation for going on the show.

Best to shut up and move on ......

HolmeZz
09-17-2008, 01:05 AM
So is it sexist when the McCain camp insinuates that Obama lacks substance and got where he has due to superficial reasons?

Guru
09-17-2008, 01:18 AM
It was a funny skit. SKIT!!! Get over it McCain camp.

Friendo
09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
might want to include Jay in the "outrage" too...

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2008/09/sarah-palin-tin.html