PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Sell Me Your DVDs

Buck
09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
I thought this would be a good thread to start up.

I am sure that some of you have gotten past your DVD owning days, and won't watch some things anymore.

There are others on here who would certainly like to own more. Lets see how this thread works.

If you have any DVDs (or VHS, Blu-Ray, etc.) you want to sell, post them, and post an asking price.

If there are any certain DVDs you are looking for, go ahead and post those too.

This thread may fail miserably, but its worth a try.

I'll start out with what I am looking for in the next post.

Demonpenz
09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I have 2 gaming headphones. Professional gaming headphones I bought off of woot still in box.

Buck
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
I am looking for a bunch of things, but the only one that comes to mind right now are the Friends TV show DVDs.

If anybody has any they want to sell, let me know, and we can come up with something.

Fish
09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Needing Back Door Booty Nurses 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, and 18.

Anybody?

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Anything Criterion...

I've got a number of things I want to upgrade to Blu-Ray, but won't unless I sell my standard-def DVD.

Ask - there's a good chance I have it (I have a small rental store in my spare room - 1,300+ DVDs).

Sure-Oz
09-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Not related, but has anyone bought off amazons marketplace? is that safe, cause it seems easy just to add to cart and go about your business. I just dont like ebay

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Not related, but has anyone bought off amazons marketplace? is that safe, cause it seems easy just to add to cart and go about your business. I just dont like ebay

I've bought and sold off Amazon Marketplace and had nothing but stellar experiences.

Just make sure to look at the seller's ratings and be smart.

Simply Red
09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
season one Twin Peaks VHS full season episodes 1-21.

Sure-Oz
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I've bought and sold off Amazon Marketplace and had nothing but stellar experiences.

Just make sure to look at the seller's ratings and be smart.

Yeah, i want to buy "gleaming the cube" with christian slater off there thats like $30 since it is out of print. I was curious, does it go through the same process as if you were buying off amazon anyway? Does the seller get your CC info or anything? Is there a way to track it as well?

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
season one Twin Peaks VHS full season episodes 1-21.

Sell: Random episodes of Star Trek TOS on Beta

Sell: Murder on the Bayou on LaserDisk.

Buy: Salo on Criterion DVD.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, i want to buy "gleaming the cube" with christian slater off there thats like $30 since it is out of print. I was curious, does it go through the same process as if you were buying off amazon anyway? Does the seller get your CC info or anything? Is there a way to track it as well?

All payment is handled through Amazon - they forward the money to the seller's account. The seller doesn't get anything but the fact you've ordered it, paid for it, and your address.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Tracking will come down to the seller - if they provide it, you'll get it. You can always ask for it, but if they're sending it USPS Priority, probably not.

Deberg_1990
09-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Ive got about 20 Laserdiscs if anyone is interested?

Sure-Oz
09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Tracking will come down to the seller - if they provide it, you'll get it. You can always ask for it, but if they're sending it USPS Priority, probably not.

So basically just see if they are greatly rated and i should be ok? The place i was looking to get from was called rarediscs or something and it had a 100% rating with 498 ratings

Simply Red
09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
I'd just sell it via through my company and mark it as misc. and have the president pay me for the transaction as he'd run the cc through our terminal, etc.. etc...

triple
09-18-2008, 12:31 PM

i use them to slice watermelons in half at 30 yards.

OnTheWarpath58
09-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Looking for American Gangster on HD DVD.

Might as well try here before Ebay...

Sure-Oz
09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Looking for American Gangster on HD DVD.

Might as well try here before Ebay...

It's $18 on amazon brand new

Buck
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I have a 2 Disc Transformers DVD Set

I'm not even sure whats on the second disc.

Neither Disc has been opened, they are both brand new.

I'll sell for $10 total, including shipping.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 12:59 PM
So basically just see if they are greatly rated and i should be ok? The place i was looking to get from was called rarediscs or something and it had a 100% rating with 498 ratings

I'd use them in a heartbeat.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 01:00 PM

What do you have? I still use my LD semi-frequently.

phisherman
09-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Buy: Salo on Criterion DVD.

did you know that this is back in print now?

i just got the reissue at borders the other day for around $27.

the extras on it are fantastic, with some great footage of pasolini filming the infamous torture scenes at the end. it definitely takes some of the shock value away when you see all the actors just standing around chatting.

Sure-Oz
09-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd use them in a heartbeat.

Appreciate it, i may have to get some other stuff if this works out and just get my used sets that are no longer in print.

Irritates me about certain companies that htey release for awhile then they dont exist anymore

Buck
09-18-2008, 01:18 PM
What is Criterion?

I heard some news that they are releasing a bunch of their Titles on Blu-Ray?

Is this some kind of straight to DVD company?

phisherman
09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
criterion is a branch of the company Janus Films.

their current function is to distribute foreign films that were never picked up for distribution in the united states. in the past they also released quite a few current american movies, though this was more the case when they were still creating laserdiscs. the criterion collection is also known for getting the highest quality print to work from and having the best extras/supplemental materials.

salo itself is considered to be the "rarest DVD in the world". it was pulled out of print in the late 90's because of a licensing conflict with Pasolini's family and the Grimaldis. the original "white ring" criterion version of this movie can sell for upwards of $1000.

since salo has been rereleased, i'd assume that now some of the john woo movies, like hard boiled, are now considered the rarest.

Buck
09-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I am also looking for some of Kubrick's earlier works.

Paths of Glory
Sparticus
Dr. Strangelove

Those ones in particular, but I may be interested in some of his others.

phisherman
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I am also looking for some of Kubrick's earlier works.

Paths of Glory
Sparticus
Dr. Strangelove

Those ones in particular, but I may be interested in some of his others.

i have all of these, but i can't sell them. man, nothing beats EARLY kubrick.

i also really like barry lyndon.

Buck
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
criterion is a branch of the company Janus Films.

their current function is to distribute foreign films that were never picked up for distribution in the united states. in the past they also released quite a few current american movies, though this was more the case when they were still creating laserdiscs. the criterion collection is also known for getting the highest quality print to work from and having the best extras/supplemental materials.

salo itself is considered to be the "rarest DVD in the world". it was pulled out of print in the late 90's because of a licensing conflict with Pasolini's family and the Grimaldis. the original "white ring" criterion version of this movie can sell for upwards of $1000.

since salo has been rereleased, i'd assume that now some of the john woo movies, like hard boiled, are now considered the rarest.

I owned Hard Boiled for a while, it came on the Special Edition of the video game, cant remember what it was called.

I sold it back to Gamestop though.

Thats cool. I don't even know what Salo is.

Buck
09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
i have all of these, but i can't sell them. man, nothing beats EARLY kubrick.

i also really like barry lyndon.

I would just buy them online, but I want to see if I can get a lower price. I heard that most of his works will be coming out on Blu-Ray, so I may just wait for that.

QuikSsurfer
09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I have 2 gaming headphones. Professional gaming headphones I bought off of woot still in box.

What kind?

phisherman
I owned Hard Boiled for a while, it came on the Special Edition of the video game, cant remember what it was called.

I sold it back to Gamestop though.

Thats cool. I don't even know what Salo is.

i'll say this, Salo is a one of a kind movie.

Shoot, Pasolini was a one of a kind director.

If you can eat dinner while Salo is playing, I salute you. It's the most disgusting, chilling, evil film I've ever seen.

The current Japanese gorefest movies have nothing on Salo.

Fire Me Boy!
did you know that this is back in print now?

i just got the reissue at borders the other day for around $27.

the extras on it are fantastic, with some great footage of pasolini filming the infamous torture scenes at the end. it definitely takes some of the shock value away when you see all the actors just standing around chatting.

I did... I was really being sarcastic. Anyone that would know what Salo is, know Criterion, and actually HAVE a copy of it on Criterion wouldn't sell it for $20.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
What is Criterion?

I heard some news that they are releasing a bunch of their Titles on Blu-Ray?

Is this some kind of straight to DVD company?

Yes, Criterion is starting Blu-Ray.

www.criterionco.com

And apparently Wes Anderson and Michael Bay are on the board of directors. Criterion LOVES WA, and both The Rock and Armageddon are Criterion.

Criterion has always been a company interested primarily in distributing highly influential and controversial work.

And they have stunning DVD transfers. I'm very interested to see a Criterion Blu-Ray. :drool:

phisherman
09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
ahh, gotcha.

i always enjoy a thread about film.

phisherman
09-18-2008, 01:45 PM

www.criterionco.com

And apparently Wes Anderson and Michael Bay are on the board of directors. Criterion LOVES WA, and both The Rock and Armageddon are Criterion.

Criterion has always been a company interested primarily in distributing highly influential and controversial work.

And they have stunning DVD transfers. I'm very interested to see a Criterion Blu-Ray. :drool:

here's a funny one, there has been a version of Salo floating around for a long time, easily available, put out by the British Film Institute. They also are branching out into Blu-Ray; guess what their first Blu-Ray release is? you guessed it, Salo.

what a way to enter the Blu-Ray market!

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
here's a funny one, there has been a version of Salo floating around for a long time, easily available, put out by the British Film Institute. They also are branching out into Blu-Ray; guess what their first Blu-Ray release is? you guessed it, Salo.

what a way to enter the Blu-Ray market!
:Lin:

phisherman
09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
that's my wife's reaction every time she even hears the word Salo.

QuikSsurfer
09-18-2008, 01:56 PM

www.criterionco.com

Glad you brought this up.

Wes Anderson is my personal favorite. Everything he does is gold.

Buck
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Cool, I just read about Salo.

Guess I'll have to try to get my hands on the Blu-Ray when it comes out.

phisherman
09-18-2008, 02:01 PM
pack your barf bag.

seriously.

the "dinner scene" and the end are pretty tough to make it through the 1st time.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Glad you brought this up.

Wes Anderson is my personal favorite. Everything he does is gold.

I don't have a problem with WA. I enjoy some of his work.

But going into my "critic" mode, I can see in no way how any of his films is controversial or influential. Same with The Rock and Armageddon.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 02:04 PM
...pretty tough to make it through the 1st time.

Why would there be a 2nd time?

phisherman
09-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Wes Anderson and Michael Bay have both at times gotten films distributed through Disney's Buena Vista Motion Pictures.

That company had some kind of sweetheart deal with Criterion that not only resulted in the release of such films as Armageddon and the Rock on Criterion, but also resulted in several Criterion releases that are quite a bit cheaper than the others.

phisherman
09-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Why would there be a 2nd time?

In truth, I think that Salo is an important film, though it is disgusting and hard to watch. Once you get past the grotesque nature of the film itself, technically it's very sound and beautifully shot.

Pasolini is definitely an important director.

The crazy part is, Pasolini got his notoriety for making the bawdy, sexual films The Decameron, The Arabian Nights and the Canterbury Tales. These were known as the Trilogy of Life.

Salo was to be the first in his new series, the Trilogy of Death. Unfortunately, Pasolini was murdered shortly after Salo was completed. Knowing how in-your-face Salo was, I'd love or hate to see what was going to come next.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 02:23 PM
In truth, I think that Salo is an important film, though it is disgusting and hard to watch. Once you get past the grotesque nature of the film itself, technically it's very sound and beautifully shot.

Pasolini is definitely an important director.

The crazy part is, Pasolini got his notoriety for making the bawdy, sexual films The Decameron, The Arabian Nights and the Canterbury Tales. These were known as the Trilogy of Life.

Salo was to be the first in his new series, the Trilogy of Death. Unfortunately, Pasolini was murdered shortly after Salo was completed. Knowing how in-your-face Salo was, I'd love or hate to see what was going to come next.
I know the history, and I'm not arguing the importance of the film or the director. You're 100 percent right on both, and I agree if you get past the nature of the film, it's really quite amazing.

I'm saying why would you want to watch it more than once? You still have to get past the nature of the film, which is grotesque.

phisherman
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
i've seen it a bunch of times.

normally it's because some buddy of mine saw Ichii the Killer or Battle Royal and they'll want to convince me that the movie they saw is more disturbing that Salo.

i see your point though; it's not a movie that "gets better" with repeated viewings. just gets easier to not puke when watching it.

QuikSsurfer
09-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't have a problem with WA. I enjoy some of his work.

But going into my "critic" mode, I can see in no way how any of his films is controversial or influential. Same with The Rock and Armageddon.

I didn't know they were supposed to be.
I agree with you though.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I didn't know they were supposed to be.
I agree with you though.

Like I said before, Criterion originally released movies that were controversial and/or influential.

Seems they've changed their mission a little:

We aim to reflect the breadth of filmed expression. We try not to be restrictive or snobby about what kinds of films are appropriate. An auteur classic, a Hollywood blockbuster, and an independent B horror film each has to be taken on its own terms. All we ask is that each film in the collection be an exemplary film of its kind. Of course we can’t just pick movies and put them out. The process of getting the rights to release a film can take years. Even if we want a film, we can’t work on it unless the film’s owners grant us the rights. Why so few films from South Asia or China?”—and we’re continually working to fill those gaps.

Buck
09-18-2008, 02:48 PM
So, uh, anybody have any seasons of Friends they want to sell me?

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
So, uh, anybody have any seasons of Friends they want to sell me?

This thread didn't turn out like you wanted, huh?

ROFL

I would sell you all of mine for a nickel, but my wife would cut my nuts off. Unfortunately for you, my nuts are worth MUCH more to me than a nickel.

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2008, 02:52 PM
i've seen it a bunch of times.

normally it's because some buddy of mine saw Ichii the Killer or Battle Royal and they'll want to convince me that the movie they saw is more disturbing that Salo.

i see your point though; it's not a movie that "gets better" with repeated viewings. just gets easier to not puke when watching it.

And Robocop! ****ing ROBOCOP!

WTF is Robocop on Criterion? And who did Kevin Smith blow to get Chasing Amy on Criterion?

Buck
09-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Bump for selling me your Friends DVDs

Heres my whole thing with Friends, FWIW...

I was freakin 8 years old when the show came out. That shit did not make sense to me.

I recently watched a few episodes and it was the funniest shit I've seen.

Now I want all the seasons.

So sell me your Friends DVD's, damnit.

Consistent1
09-19-2008, 03:57 AM

I was freakin 8 years old when the show came out. That shit did not make sense to me.

I hate that show, but they certainly had one hot female cast. Which one would you stick it first? I take Cox at her prime over Aniston, she has always done something for me. Even Kudrow is hot as hell in reality. None of those DVD's here to sell though. I might make a list and trade for some stuff regular DVD wise.

Buck
10-11-2008, 12:12 AM
I am looking to purchase Season 2.0, 2.5, 3, and Razor.

Anybody???

Buehler445
10-11-2008, 01:03 AM
I hate that show, but they certainly had one hot female cast. Which one would you stick it first? I take Cox at her prime over Aniston, she has always done something for me. Even Kudrow is hot as hell in reality. None of those DVD's here to sell though. I might make a list and trade for some stuff regular DVD wise.

AGREED brother. Courtney Cox in her younger days was amazing. Kudrow is pretty solid when not acting like a 3 year old and Aniston is famously hot.

Buck
10-11-2008, 01:32 AM
I know there was a thread for this a while back, but I cant find it so I'm just gonna post this here. I think irishjayhawk may have been the OP of the other thread, so maybe he can dig it up.

Here's TV Shows I am currently watching or have watched and enjoyed...I need some recommendations

Lost
Heroes
Fringe
Prison Break
Jericho
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Arrested Development
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Friends

So my first guess is that you guys will mention 24, i only watched the first season of that, but liked it. Give me your recommendations.

P.S., I am more into drama/action than comedy, but I'll listen to anything.

TrickyNicky
10-11-2008, 01:33 AM
The Wire. The only thing Whitlock was ever completely right about. It was the best written show on TV for a while there.

POND_OF_RED
10-11-2008, 02:40 AM

If you want I can send them all to you with a douche kit as well so you can clean out your vagina and start being a man again. :D

Der Flöprer
10-11-2008, 03:28 AM
Criminal Minds was a great show already, but so far it's really picking the fucking pace up this season. I highly suggest it. If you have Comcast On Demand, you can find this week's episode on there. It was great.

Buehler445
10-12-2008, 12:19 AM
I know there was a thread for this a while back, but I cant find it so I'm just gonna post this here. I think irishjayhawk may have been the OP of the other thread, so maybe he can dig it up.

Here's TV Shows I am currently watching or have watched and enjoyed...I need some recommendations

Lost
Heroes
Fringe
Prison Break
Jericho
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Arrested Development
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Friends

So my first guess is that you guys will mention 24, i only watched the first season of that, but liked it. Give me your recommendations.

P.S., I am more into drama/action than comedy, but I'll listen to anything.

That 70s show is a good time.

Buehler445
10-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Oh and the wife and I are liking Burn Notice.

KCChiefsMan
10-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I already hauled off most of my DVD's that I don't want. The one's I still have are keepers for me. But of course now I'm doing the blu-ray thing but I'm still keeping the dvd's

MIAdragon
10-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I am looking for a bunch of things, but the only one that comes to mind right now are the Friends TV show DVDs.

If anybody has any they want to sell, let me know, and we can come up with something.

Hey man I bought my wife one of the seasons that she already has Ill check in a bit what one it was.

Buck
10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Hey man I bought my wife one of the seasons that she already has Ill check in a bit what one it was.

Okay, I already own 1-5...

Ebolapox
10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
hey buckin', watch 'dexter'... it's good

Buck
10-14-2008, 08:30 PM
hey buckin', watch 'dexter'... it's good

My friend let me borrow the DVD and I watched the first episode, but I haven't gone back...i guess i should.

Ebolapox
10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
My friend let me borrow the DVD and I watched the first episode, but I haven't gone back...i guess i should.

yes, you should. it's basically about a serial killer who kills those who SHOULD be killed (other killers, etc.)--underrated show.

Buehler445
10-14-2008, 10:51 PM
yes, you should. it's basically about a serial killer who kills those who SHOULD be killed (other killers, etc.)--underrated show.

Really?

I might have to look that one up. I hadn't heard of it.

xbarretx
10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Anything Criterion...

I've got a number of things I want to upgrade to Blu-Ray, but won't unless I sell my standard-def DVD.

Ask - there's a good chance I have it (I have a small rental store in my spare room - 1,300+ DVDs).

never giving up my Royal Tenenbaums Criterion!!!! NEVER!!!!! ;)

crispystl420
10-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Like for the 360??