PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues McCain Says SEC Chief Would Get His Walking Papers If He Was President

BigCatDaddy
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know what good it would to now, but at least someone butt would fry.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Thursday he would fire Securities and Exchange Chairman Christopher Cox if he were president, accusing the former GOP congressman of betraying the public’s trust.

President Bush appointed Cox to lead the SEC in 2005. He had been a Republican congressman from California for 17 years and had served on House committees overseeing investor protection and U.S. capital markets.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama had criticized McCain for responding to the financial turmoil on Wall Street by suggesting a high-level commission be established to study its causes. In his speech Thursday, McCain called for the creation of a trust to work with the private sector and regulators to identify institutions that are weak and to take measures to strengthen them.

“You can’t wait any longer for more failures in our financial system,” McCain said.

Stocks on Wall Street have tumbled this week amid the worst financial meltdown in the U.S. since the Great Depression.

An SEC spokesman didn’t immediately return a telephone call seeking comment on McCain’s statement.

The Securities and Exchange Commission oversees regulation of U.S. markets

Infidel Goat
09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
And he'd hire Phil Gramm in his place!!!!1111!!!!!!

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_suited.jpg

Nightfyre
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I hypothesize that this is a political stunt he is using to separate himself from GWB.

tiptap
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
crickets for gamemanship

mlyonsd
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
And he'd hire Phil Gramm in his place!!!!1111!!!!!!

I doubt he'd consider one of Obama's Fannie Mae buddies.

J Diddy
I hypothesize that this is a political stunt he is using to separate himself from GWB.

If I was the president we'd all have a kegger.

mlyonsd
If I was the president we'd all have a kegger.

It'll take bottled beer to win me over bub.

J Diddy
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
It'll take bottled beer to win me over bub.

1000 points of Keystone Light headed your way

mlyonsd
09-18-2008, 12:40 PM
1000 points of Keystone Light headed your way

What, did a delivery truck tip over or something? :deevee:

Robo-Chachi
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Too bad the president does not have the power to fire the SEC chairman.

banyon
09-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I doubt he'd consider one of Obama's Fannie Mae buddies.

He already did.

Silock
09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Too bad the president does not have the power to fire the SEC chairman.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/09/can_the_president_fire_the_sec_1.asp