PDA

View Full Version : Elections Obama's new add, en Español.

***SPRAYER
09-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Obama Lies
Winning at the cost of truth and common sense.

By Kathryn Jean Lopez
On Wednesday, the Obama campaign — no 527, the Obama campaign itself — released an ad, en Español, trying to use talk-radio king Rush Limbaugh against John McCain.

The ad, to air in Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico, seeks to convince Hispanics that John McCain, Rush Limbaugh, and the Republican party hate them. It is the brazen response to a ill-considered John McCain Spanish-language ad that blames Barack Obama for destroying McCain’s immigration-reform legislation last year.
This, of course, was legislation that Rush Limbaugh opposed. Rush Limbaugh and John McCain were on opposite sides of the debate. And no sinister images and scare tactics and quotes are going to change those facts.

After maliciously quoting Limbaugh out of context, the ad announces: “John McCain and his Republican friends have two faces. One that says lies just to get our vote . . . and another, even worse, that continues the policies of George Bush that put special interests ahead of working families. John McCain . . . more of the same old Republican tricks.”

Obama was counting on people (and the media) buying the lies, playing along — as they often do. But this time it was just a little too insulting to common sense. Among the first out of the box defending Limbaugh — or at least questioning the accuracy of the ad — was a mainstream-media reporter, Jake Tapper, from ABC News.

Anyone who only half pays attention knows that Rush Limbaugh is not president of the John McCain fan club, and vice versa. John McCain was reported to have attacked Rush, among others, as “nativist” on immigration at a New York fundraiser two years ago. You may recall this is a very odd election year; Limbaugh, along with most of the top talk-radio hosts and conservative blogosphere and grassroots led the opposition against the current Republican nominee on his immigration bill. To pretend that Limbaugh and McCain have been on the same page is as blatant a lie as we’ve seen this election cycle.

The Obama campaign wanted the media to play along just as they have in opposition to the McCain campaign’s truthful sex-ed commercial, just as they have in not highlighting Barack Obama’s record on infanticide in the Illinois state senate. The Obama campaign, perhaps, thought they could silence truth and opposition as they have tried to do in the cases of my colleagues Stanley Kurtz and David Freddoso. When Kurtz went on a Chicago-area talk show to talk about Obama’s relationship with terrorist Bill Ayers, the Obama campaign announced that it was “absolutely unacceptable” for the show to offer Stanley the platform to exercise his free-speech rights. Similarly, the campaign sent their supporters on the attack to try to avoid The Case Against Barack Obama being made. Earlier this summer, the campaign wanted the Justice Department to get involved to threaten stations running an ad they didn’t like.

This is the Obama campaign. Hope and change? Try strong-arm self-righteous authoritarianism. Remember that Obama and his party want to regulate talk radio so the market can’t work. His party wants Rush Limbaugh to be Public Enemy No. 1, so it will be that much easier to curb his voice — along with those of successful talkers Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Mark Levin, and Bill Bennett, among others, with the Fairness Doctrine once they’re running the Washington show on both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue.

For a bonus, no doubt, the Obama campaign wanted to remind conservatives that McCain isn’t as conservative as Rush Limbaugh. Unfortunately for the Obama campaign, we also know that Barack Obama is, ultimately, very far away from them both. And outright lies aren’t going to obfuscate the facts. They might just rally some to vote against Barack Obama.

— Kathryn Jean Lopez is the editor of National Review Online.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZTI3MmI1NWM2YThmZmE1Mjc0ZTk0YmRhYzE0MWUzNjA=

SBK
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I like your avatar sir.

Logical
09-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Linking McCain to Bush to Rush is definitely not lying. I am not sure I see the egregious lie(s).

The Latino community for the most part did not support McCain's need to pay for amnesty.

irishjayhawk
09-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Can you bold the part you have a problem with? Or, at least, bold the "lie"?

banyon
09-18-2008, 10:53 PM
How about the actual ad, as opposed to National Review's summary of the ad?

Logical
09-18-2008, 11:24 PM
How about the actual ad, as opposed to National Review's summary of the ad?Giving SHTSPRAYER some slack most of us probably would not understand the ad in spanish. It was not released in English.

DaFace
09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Not necessarily related, but I thought it was interesting that right after I read this, I learned that the former editor for National Review endorsed Obama today.

http://www.dmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?nm=Core+Pages&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&tier=3&gid=B33A5C6E2CF04C9596A3EF81822D9F8E

Velvet_Jones
09-18-2008, 11:46 PM

Read the part of the article that says "lie". Do we have to do everything for you? I thought political hacks were supposed to he bright. So you must be in training.

Ultra Peanut
09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I like the shitting on Limbaugh, but I don't like the ad.

That being said, it's hilarious that Shitsprayer is whining (via an article, since his word limit is three plus a smiley) about context and stretching associations.

Howlin Wolf
09-19-2008, 02:51 AM
I hope the ad doesn't interrupt SpongeRoberto SquarePantalones on Telemundo.

***SPRAYER
09-19-2008, 04:50 PM

The Limbaugh excerpts were cut from a commentary Rush made about illegal immigration--- IN MEXICO.

He was talking about how the Mexican government treats illegals from Guatamala et al.

Guru
09-20-2008, 02:21 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122178554189155003.html

Obama Is Stoking
Racial Antagonism

I understand the rough and tumble of politics. But Barack Obama -- the supposedly postpartisan, postracial candidate of hope and change -- has gone where few modern candidates have gone before.

Mr. Obama's campaign is now trafficking in prejudice of its own making. And in doing so, it is playing with political dynamite. What kind of potential president would let his campaign knowingly extract two incomplete, out-of-context lines from two radio parodies and build a framework of hate around them in order to exploit racial tensions? The segregationists of the 1950s and 1960s were famous for such vile fear-mongering.

Here's the relevant part of the Spanish-language television commercial Mr. Obama is running in Hispanic communities:

"They want us to forget the insults we've put up with . . . the intolerance . . . they made us feel marginalized in this country we love so much."

Then the commercial flashes two quotes from me: ". . . stupid and unskilled Mexicans" and "You shut your mouth or you get out!"

And then a voice says, "John McCain and his Republican friends have two faces. One that says lies just to get our vote . . . and another, even worse, that continues the policies of George Bush that put special interests ahead of working families. John McCain . . . more of the same old Republican tricks."

Much of the media that is uninterested in Mr. Obama's connections to unrepentant 1970s Weather Underground terrorist William Ayers and Rev. Jeremiah Wright have so far gone along with the attempt to tie me to Mr. McCain. But Mr. McCain and I have not agreed on how to address illegal immigration. While I am heartened by his willingness to start by securing the borders, it is no secret that we have fundamental differences on illegal immigration.

And more to the point, these sound bites are a deception, and Mr. Obama knows it. The first sound bite was extracted from a 1993 humorous monologue poking fun at the arguments against the North American Free Trade Agreement. Here's the context:

"If you are unskilled and uneducated, your job is going south. Skilled workers, educated people are going to do fine 'cause those are the kinds of jobs Nafta is going to create. If we are going to start rewarding no skills and stupid people, I'm serious, let the unskilled jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do -- let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work."

My point, which is obvious, was that the people who were criticizing Nafta were demeaning workers, particularly low-skilled workers. I was criticizing the mind-set of the protectionists who opposed the treaty. There was no racial connotation to it and no one thought there was at the time. I was demeaning the arguments of the opponents.

As for the second sound bite, I was mocking the Mexican government's double standard -- i.e., urging open borders in this country while imposing draconian immigration requirements within its own borders. Thus, I took the restrictions Mexico imposes on immigrants and appropriated them as my own suggestions for a new immigration law.

Here's the context for that sound bite: "And another thing: You don't have the right to protest. You're allowed no demonstrations, no foreign flag waving, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. You're a foreigner: shut your mouth or get out! And if you come here illegally, you're going to jail."

At the time, I made abundantly clear that this was a parody on the Mexican government's hypocrisy and nobody took it otherwise.

The malignant aspect of this is that Mr. Obama and his advisers know exactly what they are doing. They had to listen to both monologues or read the transcripts. They then had to pick the particular excerpts they used in order to create a commercial of distortions. Their hoped-for result is to inflame racial tensions. In doing this, Mr. Obama and his advisers have demonstrated a pernicious contempt for American society.

We've made much racial progress in this country. Any candidate who employs the tactics of the old segregationists is unworthy of the presidency.

SBK
09-20-2008, 03:22 AM
This ad is disgusting. It's too bad McCain hadn't made it, cause the usual crowd would have been on here condemning him for such a negative move, but since Obama did it they're silent.

mikey23545
09-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Michael Moore has been an apt teacher to the Democratic Party....

Guru
09-20-2008, 05:09 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S417X0RsHks&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S417X0RsHks&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guru
09-20-2008, 05:14 AM
http://download.premiereradio.net/guest/rushlimb/mp4/Rush%20Limbaugh%20-%20Apr%2006%202006%20-%20Morning%20Update.mp4

***SPRAYER
09-20-2008, 10:17 AM
[ Mr. Obama's campaign is now trafficking in prejudice of its own making. And in doing so, it is playing with political dynamite. What kind of potential president would let his campaign knowingly extract two incomplete, out-of-context lines from two radio parodies and build a framework of hate around them in order to exploit racial tensions?

The guy is a scumbag.

patteeu
09-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I see that Senator Barack "Unifier" Obama is unifying us again. And it's good to see Cronus and the other numbskulls captivated in an Obamatrance are still smiling and nodding.

MahiMike
09-20-2008, 03:44 PM
What you don't realize is that this was a response to McCain's own Spanish lies version. The immigration issue has gone away as the diversion tactic the dark side used for the war. Only in Spanish are they campaigning for it now because they know it's no longer important.

Guru
09-20-2008, 03:58 PM
What you don't realize is that this was a response to McCain's own Spanish lies version. The immigration issue has gone away as the diversion tactic the dark side used for the war. Only in Spanish are they campaigning for it now because they know it's no longer important.
WTF difference does it make the order they came out? They are both blatant lies.