PDA

View Full Version : Elections Palin: "I didn't hesitate, no"

jAZ
09-18-2008, 11:14 PM
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/blinking-or-not.html#more

Blinking Or Not Blinking?
17 Sep 2008 04:57 pm

Here's Palin's discussion of how she accepted the surreal offer to be the vice-presidential candidate to John McCain (who'd met her once before):

PALIN: I didn't hesitate, no.

GIBSON: Didn't that take some hubris?

PALIN: I -- I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink. So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate.
Here's what she just told Hannity, whose deference was so supine he may have back problems later in life:

"It was a time of asking the girls to vote on it, anyway. And they voted unanimously, yes. Didn't bother asking my son because, you know, he's going to be off doing his thing anyway, so he wouldn't be so impacted by, at least, the campaign period here. So ask the girls what they thought and they're like, absolutely. Let's do this, mom."

But oops...

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/29/1307122.aspx

"Later that morning, John McCain departed for Phoenix and Governor Palin departed with staff to Flagstaff, Arizona. Governor Palin, Kris Perry, Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter proceeded to the Manchester Inn and Conference Center in Middleton, Ohio. They were checked into the hotel as the Upton Family. While there, Governor Palinís children, who had been told they were going to Ohio to celebrate their parentsí wedding anniversary, were told for the first time that their mother would be a nominee for Vice President of the United States of America."

Guru
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
You must live a sad and boring life.

Logical
09-18-2008, 11:25 PM
You must live a sad and boring life.Why, it is not really that hard to read websites.

Guru
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Why, it is not really that hard to read websites.
Digging up anything and everything negative one can find on a candidate though?

Reaper16
09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
That's like saying that we're digging up stuff because we read posts here on Chiefsplanet. jAZ reads a considerable deal of political content on the web, and he doesn't do it with the intention of "Oh, I'm specifically reading this to find dirt on Palin."

jAZ
09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
The lies are just falling out of the tubes on my internets. I just takes but a moment to pick it up and put it into the ChiefsPlanet tubes.

Logical
09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Did you ignore all the posting jAZ did on Bush, this is what he enjoys.

Guru
09-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Did you ignore all the posting jAZ did on Bush, this is what he enjoys.

I didn't frequent this forum until this year. Based on what I have seen though, I generally avoid jAZ threads. This one caught my attention. I guess I just to see what nit-picking was next.

jAZ
09-18-2008, 11:53 PM
That's like saying that we're digging up stuff because we read posts here on Chiefsplanet. jAZ reads a considerable deal of political content on the web, and he doesn't do it with the intention of "Oh, I'm specifically reading this to find dirt on Palin."

All you need to do is read Powerline or Talking Points Memo and you'll get pretty much every major Pol story either side might want to know about.

It probaby takes a collective 45 minutes a day to stay very up to date. Every one of the regulars spend that much time reading and posting on ChiefsPlanet alone.

Guru
09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I'll stick to Real Clear Politics.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 12:02 AM
I'll stick to Real Clear Politics.

How about (fill in the blank, your choice, left or right blog/site)?

The suggestion that it takes much to stay abreast of this sort of news is a bogus attack on me. It's about as bogus as one CP regular bitching about how much time someone else spends on this site. It's a rather pointless line of insult.

Guru
09-19-2008, 12:04 AM
How about (fill in the blank, your choice, left or right blog/site)?

The suggestion that it takes much to stay abreast of this sort of news is a bogus attack on me. It's about as bogus as one CP regular bitching about how much time someone else spends on this site. It's a rather pointless line of insult.
Oh, now I have attacked you. :doh!::shake:

jAZ
09-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Oh, now I have attacked you. :doh!::shake:

Uh, yes.

You must live a sad and boring life.

Maybe you regret doing so, but you definately did so.

Guru
09-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Uh, yes.

Maybe you regret doing so, but you definately did so.
That is hardly an attack but whatever. And no, I don't regret what I said.

On to more positive things.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 12:13 AM
That is hardly an attack but whatever. And no, I don't regret what I said.

On to more positive things.
Are you nit-picking now?

:p

orange
09-19-2008, 12:14 AM
The suggestion that it takes much to stay abreast of this sort of news is a bogus attack on me.

Speaking of bogus attacks...

Is it just barely possible that...

... Sarah Palin, like everybody else in America who was paying attention, knew she was on the short list for McCain.

... Knowing she was on the short list, might she have discussed the possibility of running for VP with her family hours, days, maybe even WEEKS before the official offer/announcement?

I'm not going to read that Hannity interview, but I ASSUME you have - so I'll ask YOU - is there anything in there that specifies the DATE/TIME of her family vote?

FAX
09-19-2008, 12:19 AM
With all respect, that's not what I understood happened, Mr. jAZ. Not at all.

In the story I heard, she was busy chopping down cherry trees to build a split rail fence when the invitation came in. She loaded her musket and fired into the forest with the cry, "One if by land, two if by see ya!". Having succumbed to the blast, a pair of wolves fell dead - an event which she immediately intepreted as a sign that she was to accept the nomination.

FAX

jAZ
09-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Speaking of bogus attacks...

Is it just barely possible that...

... Sarah Palin, like everybody else in America who was paying attention, knew she was on the short list for McCain.

... Knowing she was on the short list, might she have discussed the possibility of running for VP with her family hours, days, maybe even WEEKS before the official offer/announcement?

I'm not going to read that Hannity interview, but I ASSUME you have - so I'll ask YOU - is there anything in there that specifies the DATE/TIME of her family vote?
Doesn't matter when she hesitated (when considered or when picked). She hestitated as is obvious and as ANYONE would do, but particularly anyone who's ever been a parent of even ONE child.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
With all respect, that's not what I understood happened, Mr. jAZ. Not at all.

In the story I heard, she was busy chopping down cherry trees to build a split rail fence when the invitation came in. She loaded her musket and fired into the forest with the cry, "One if by land, two if by see ya!". Having succumbed to the blast, a pair of wolves fell dead - an event which she immediately intepreted as a sign that she was to accept the nomination.

FAX

I bow in humble correction.

http://www.innovative-massage-therapy.com/images/Humble_Ed_Bow.png

orange
09-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Doesn't matter when she hesitated (when considered or when picked). She hestitated as is obvious and as ANYONE would do, but particularly anyone who's ever been a parent of even ONE child.

It matters very much. She said she didn't hesitate WHEN MCCAIN ASKED HER - and you're saying that was a lie?! It ABSOLUTELY matters when "she hesitated as is obvious."

ROYC75
09-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Jeepers jAZ, you looking for anything to sink your teeth into ..... Stay tuned, next week it will be a new thong she is wearing that says, Hillary has nothing that I don't have. ..........

What is wrong about her being confident and asking her family about it. It could just be that she doesn't disclose every single detail about her personal life for the likes of you and the dems.

Explain why Obama said he had no intentions of running for the POTUS when elected to the senate, claiming he was ready for that move, but yet here he is with less than 200 days experience to his credit in the senate, of which he fails to vote in most of the time, voting present but not making a stand, a voice for the people, all the Obots that back him.

orange
09-19-2008, 12:31 AM

Are you even sure that's "the lie" that Sullivan is alleging? What's the point of the whole msnbc link?

I assumed Sullivan was claiming that the McCain campaign lied when they said the kids thought they were going to a wedding.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 01:13 AM
It matters very much. She said she didn't hesitate WHEN MCCAIN ASKED HER - and you're saying that was a lie?! It ABSOLUTELY matters when "she hesitated as is obvious."

I don't think it matters a bit, but whatever...

I finally found the transcript of the questions Hannity asked to put her lie into context.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,424346,00.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,424346,00.html (video, see 1 min mark)

HANNITY: Governor, thank you for being with us.

GOV. SARAH PALIN, VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Thank you so much.

HANNITY: All right. You said when you were asked to be Senator McCain's running mate that you didn't hesitate, you didn't blink. Tell us about the call, when that came.

PALIN: Well, I found out about the actual selection just a couple of days before you guys all did. Getting that nod was quite an experience, of course, because I knew that Senator McCain and his team had been doing a heck of a lot of research and vetting of many names.

So, of course, it's the utmost honor is what I felt when he actually said, do you want to help me do this? And I said, absolutely. Let's get in there and let's reform. We'll shake some things up.

HANNITY: What was your family's reaction? Was (it) time to huddle and have a hockey team meeting?

PALIN: It was a time of asking the girls to vote on it, anyway. And they voted unanimously, yes. Didn't bother asking my son because, you know, he's going to be off doing his thing anyway, so he wouldn't be so impacted by, at least, the campaign period here.

So asked the girls what they thought and they're like, absolutely. Let's do this, mom.

So after getting the offer, she didn't hesitate other than to first stop to ask her kids if it was ok. Anyone who's ever had a family knows that that is a major hesitation at any sort of life altering decision that's going to impact your family life. The lie is to say that you didn't hesitate at all.

The question is why lie about it , and which version is reality?

I think she lied to Gibson and told Hannity the truth that she not just hesitated, but literally stopped to consider the impact on her family and let them vote on it. That's the only right thing to and I'm sure she did it.

But just lied to Gibson for political reasons, just like all of the other lies.

Logical
09-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Jeepers jAZ, you looking for anything to sink your teeth into ..... Stay tuned, next week it will be a new thong she is wearing that says, Hillary has nothing that I don't have. ..........

What is wrong about her being confident and asking her family about it. It could just be that she doesn't disclose every single detail about her personal life for the likes of you and the dems.

Explain why Obama said he had no intentions of running for the POTUS when elected to the senate, claiming he was ready for that move, but yet here he is with less than 200 days experience to his credit in the senate, of which he fails to vote in most of the time, voting present but not making a stand, a voice for the people, all the Obots that back him.

Lets see two weeks ago she said she answered immediately that she would say yes, that is just the way she is made.

A week ago she said she consulted her family. (Lie 1)

Then Governor Palin, Kris Perry, Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter proceeded to the Manchester Inn and Conference Center in Middleton, Ohio. They were checked into the hotel as the Upton Family. While there, Governor Palinís children, who had been told they were going to Ohio to celebrate their parentsí wedding anniversary, were told for the first time that their mother would be a nominee for Vice President of the United States of America. Then she did not even tell her kids in consultation they were told as a fait compli (Lie 2)

Mecca
09-19-2008, 01:22 AM
It's starting to get to the point where she's lying about such stupid things how can you know if she's ever being honest, cmon they made up that the teleprompter at the convention messed up, why lie about that?

jAZ
09-19-2008, 01:25 AM

The question you should be asking is why she feels so compelled to lie about on the surface seem like inane details about the decision to become the VP nominee.

She is the most coached person in history and it's obvious when she's off script. This was a prepared response to a predictable question.

They scripted her to lie. It's not the first, nor the last, just the latest to be discovered and maybe the most bizarre to date.

Logical
09-19-2008, 01:26 AM
It's starting to get to the point where she's lying about such stupid things how can you know if she's ever being honest, cmon they made up that the teleprompter at the convention messed up, why lie about that?Exactly she made a knock down speech that was the hit of the convention but that is not good enough. They had to make it better somehow.:shake:

Logical
09-19-2008, 01:28 AM
The question you should be asking is why she feels so compelled to lie about on the surface seem like inane details about the decision to become the VP nominee.

She is the most coached person in history and it's obvious when she's off script. This was a prepared response to a predictable question.

They scripted her to lie. It's not the first, nor the last, just the latest to be discovered and maybe the most bizarre to date.

I cannot imagine intentionally lying under 24/7 coverage, the truth is bound to come out and make you look bad. The mistakes you make by accident are bad enough.

orange
09-19-2008, 01:29 AM
"PALIN: Well, I found out about the actual selection just a couple of days before you guys all did. Getting that nod was quite an experience, of course, because I knew that Senator McCain and his team had been doing a heck of a lot of research and vetting of many names.

So, of course, it's the utmost honor is what I felt when he actually said, do you want to help me do this? And I said, absolutely. Let's get in there and let's reform. We'll shake some things up.

HANNITY: What was your family's reaction? Was (it) time to huddle and have a hockey team meeting?

PALIN: It was a time of asking the girls to vote on it, anyway. And they voted unanimously, yes. Didn't bother asking my son because, you know, he's going to be off doing his thing anyway, so he wouldn't be so impacted by, at least, the campaign period here.

So asked the girls what they thought and they're like, absolutely. Let's do this, mom."

I don't know what you think you see there. What I see is this:

- They went to Ohio, kids were told for a wedding celebration.
- She went to see McCain - he offered the job - she said "absolutely. Let's get in there and let's reform. We'll shake some things up."
- She then told the family and held the little vote.

If anyone has a case here, it's the kids for being told their input would actually make a difference - or MAYBE their MOTHER had an inkling how they would vote.

ROYC75
09-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Lets see two weeks ago she said she answered immediately that she would say yes, that is just the way she is made.

A week ago she said she consulted her family. (Lie 1)

Then Governor Palin, Kris Perry, Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter proceeded to the Manchester Inn and Conference Center in Middleton, Ohio. They were checked into the hotel as the Upton Family. While there, Governor Palinís children, who had been told they were going to Ohio to celebrate their parentsí wedding anniversary, were told for the first time that their mother would be a nominee for Vice President of the United States of America. Then she did not even tell her kids in consultation they were told as a fait compli (Lie 2)

OK, we are fishing here ........Making that statement to Gibson, was probably accurate. Follow along here, It's been know for sometime that Palin was a possibility for POTUS, how serious , we don't know until just before the RNC.

Do you not find that it was possible for Palin and hr husband to discuss the possibility before, on if she was OK with it. ? Of course they did. Was it best not to tell the kids about it ? Of course, kids talk, reporters, friends would have grilled them to get more info.

I personally do not think she was hesitant, I do feel she didn't need to hide it from the kids after accepting the nominee as VPOTUS, they were on the plane and gone. My best guess is when she told them.... Again, trying to keep the media out of the trip from Alaska.

I still see no reason for the big hoodoo you want to make, Again, Obama lied when he retracted his comment that he wasn't ready to be 2008 POTUS in 2004. He knew then he wanted too, he stretched the truth, then, just as he does now. Just like any other politician does, both parties.

Remember , stretching the truth , any white lie, is still a lie .

Again, apples > oranges .......

jAZ
09-19-2008, 01:35 AM
[INDENT][I]I don't know what you think you see there. What I see is this:

- They went to Ohio, kids were told for a wedding celebration.
- She went to see McCain - he offered the job - she said "absolutely. Let's get in there and let's reform. We'll shake some things up."
- She then told the family and held the little vote.

If anyone has a case here, it's the kids for being told their input would actually make a difference - or MAYBE their MOTHER had an inkling how they would vote.
Ahhh... don't believe her lying words! That's always a great defense against proof someone was lying.

ROFL

jAZ
09-19-2008, 01:36 AM
It's starting to get to the point where she's lying about such stupid things how can you know if she's ever being honest, cmon they made up that the teleprompter at the convention messed up, why lie about that?

I cannot imagine intentionally lying under 24/7 coverage, the truth is bound to come out and make you look bad. The mistakes you make by accident are bad enough.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5033805#post5033805

ROYC75
09-19-2008, 01:38 AM

To intentionally lie is to set yourself up for a fall, it's bound to happen. Yes, some politicians do this if they think they will not get caught, but in today's world, there is too many people watching and too much video being done.

I do think politicians are so busy and always faced with changing times that they get caught in a comment or an ever changing view most of the time.

orange
09-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Ahhh... don't believe her lying words! That's always a great defense against proof someone was lying.

ROFL

You have some? I haven't seen any - quit holding back!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't bother. Just tell me when you expect McCain to drop out of the race over PalinKidsVoteGate?

jAZ
09-19-2008, 01:48 AM
When evidence attacks!

You have some? I haven't seen any - quit holding back!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't bother. Just tell me when you expect McCain to drop out of the race over PalinKidsVoteGate?

ROFL

orange
09-19-2008, 01:49 AM
More like "When gnats attack."

orange
09-19-2008, 01:50 AM
I'll reiterate - do you actually think this is going to change even ONE person's mind about any aspect of this race?

I see your ROFL and raise you ROFL ROFL

jAZ
09-19-2008, 01:53 AM
To intentionally lie is to set yourself up for a fall, it's bound to happen. Yes, some politicians do this if they think they will not get caught, but in today's world, there is too many people watching and too much video being done.

I do think politicians are so busy and always faced with changing times that they get caught in a comment or an ever changing view most of the time.

The people running McCain's campaign are the same one's who have been managing Bush's political operations for years now. And if we know anything about that period it's that if you tell the right kinds of lies boldly enough, and try to side-track any outrage with non-sensical disputes, you can deflect any consequences and then count of "outrage fatigue" to carry you on to the next lie.

It's worked for 8 years.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 01:55 AM
I'll reiterate - do you actually think this is going to change even ONE person's mind about any aspect of this race?

I see your ROFL and raise you ROFL ROFL
At least you have given up the ghost and are asking a meaningful question. I doubt that any one such event will change a vote. But this isn't an isolated event. The pattern is there, this is but one point in the trend line. As that trendline becomes clear, it will surely change some votes.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-19-2008, 02:19 AM
She could just be a pathological liar.

Howlin Wolf
09-19-2008, 02:27 AM
sounds like she doesn't have trouble making up her mind. actually, only two things bug me about her - her stance on abortion and wanting creation 'science' taught in schools. The Obama guy I can't figure out, he says pretty much nothing, like some personal trainer shouting slogans like no pain no gain, ya know?

Saggysack
09-19-2008, 03:38 AM
The Obama guy I can't figure out, he says pretty much nothing, like some personal trainer shouting slogans like no pain no gain, ya know?

Not following you. Please explain in detail.

penchief
09-19-2008, 07:48 AM

Gore and Kerry were crucified for being dishonest when they were no more dishonest than the lies Palin has told. In fact, Palin has been worse. Lying about this and lying about the teleprompter at the convention almost reveal a pathological side to lying. There is no real reason to lie about stuff like that.

It says just as much about her integrity as labeling Gore an exaggerator and Kerry a flip-flopper said about their integrity.

RINGLEADER
09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
DEVASTATING!

patteeu
09-19-2008, 08:50 AM

You seem to know jAZ pretty well. Are you his wife? :p

patteeu
09-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Gore and Kerry were crucified for being dishonest when they were no more dishonest than the lies Palin has told. In fact, Palin has been worse. Lying about this and lying about the teleprompter at the convention almost reveal a pathological side to lying. There is no real reason to lie about stuff like that.

It says just as much about her integrity as labeling Gore an exaggerator and Kerry a flip-flopper said about their integrity.

With any luck, Obama will be crucified for his dishonesty too.

penchief
09-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Which lies has he told? McCain and Palin have been full of lies and the corporate media is barely noticing. Heck, republicans made up lies about Gore and Kerry lying and it was Gore and Kerry that got labeled the liars.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 09:05 AM

At least you chose a christian analogy. You should have said beheaded.

patteeu
09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Which lies has he told? McCain and Palin have been full of lies and the corporate media is barely noticing. Heck, republicans made up lies about Gore and Kerry lying and it was Gore and Kerry that got labeled the liars.

Obama has been telling lies all along. I'm shocked that you can't even remember the highlights.

penchief
09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Obama has been telling lies all along. I'm shocked that you can't even remember the highlights.

Like what?

tiptap
09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Though technically that could be john the baptist.. What is the Muslim equivalent?

tiptap
09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
To the degree that words can contain truth, I find the search for stories that represent oneself publicly just that. You have to try them on. The problem for Palin is that she needed more time to work them out before going on stage.

patteeu
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Like what?

The most obvious example, which has been repeatedly mentioned here over the past few weeks, is his blatant lie about John McCain wanting 100 more years of war in Iraq. For every lie or gaffe that McCain or Palin has had, there's an equal and opposite lie or gaffe from Obama. Don't kid yourself.

Programmer
09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
The lies are just falling out of the tubes on my internets. I just takes but a moment to pick it up and put it into the ChiefsPlanet tubes.

Your "lies" tend to be exaggerations and unproven comments by liberals.

You perpetuate the lies by spreading them before you find if they are real or perceived.

I don't ever remember you recanting when your posts have been proven false.

All I've seen from your side of the house (liberal) is that "well all of them weren't false."

It will be good when the election is over and Obama goes back to being "Present" in his home state.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Sure all part of the attempt to rise above the cacaphony with something that resonates BOTH with the candidate and the public.

patteeu
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
To the degree that words can contain truth, I find the search for stories that represent oneself publicly just that. You have to try them on. The problem for Palin is that she needed more time to work them out before going on stage.

I agree that Palin has been shaky at times in her first two interviews. Whatever natural ability she has to think on her feet and get by on slickness isn't enough to carry her and she probably does require some more preparation time or practice to get good at it. I'm a bit concerned about how she will come across in the debate, but none of this gives me any qualms about voting for her as a part of the McCain/Palin ticket.

Programmer
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM

It is selective memory. Both sides have it, but from where I stand the liberals are going full out to justify their hatred.

It will be great when all of the liberal lies end up doing nothing regarding the election.

The American people are not as dumb as the liberals tend to think, the people will see through the garbage and we will have to endure another 4 or 8 years of them whining about the republicans. I can live with that.

RINGLEADER
09-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Like what?

Where to begin with this. He's lied about his father begin a goat herder? That he was born as a result of Selma? That he wouldn't run for president in 2008 because he didn't have the experience and would need to start campaigning before he spent one day in the US Senate?

The distortions of McCain's 100 year war statement? That he said that he always said the surge would work when he said the opposite?

When he said that he never heard the kind of words that Rev. Wright used before admitting that he had?

Seriously, the guy does this all the time. I don't know if that makes him any different than any other politician but your response only confirms my belief that most Obama supporters don't know what he stands for and, when pushed, don't care.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I agree that Palin has been shaky at times in her first two interviews. Whatever natural ability she has to think on her feet and get by on slickness isn't enough to carry her and she probably does require some more preparation time or practice to get good at it. I'm a bit concerned about how she will come across in the debate, but none of this gives me any qualms about voting for her as a part of the McCain/Palin ticket.

Well part of the charm of a good President is that ability to connect by one's oratory or theatrical style. It would help to have that in moving on the economic front. Part of the reason Bush's disappearance is so wrong is when things were going well he had this persona but when it might help to gain confidence in the situation he can't manage that. McCain's change in rhetoric doesn't jive with his positions before and Palin doesn't have time to fine that tact in oratory and be helpful except to the partisan crowd.

penchief
09-19-2008, 09:25 AM
The most obvious example, which has been repeatedly mentioned here over the past few weeks, is his blatant lie about John McCain wanting 100 more years of war in Iraq. For every lie or gaffe that McCain or Palin has had, there's an equal and opposite lie or gaffe from Obama. Don't kid yourself.

But McCain did say that he was all good with leaving the troops in Iraq for 100 years. I heard it myself. The reason that was so damning is not because Obama lied about it. It was damning because the people of this country know that Iraq was a huge misstep and the sooner we are able to extract ourselves gracefully from that country, the better.

The thought of 100 years in Iraq is not acceptable to the country. In fact, if the media would play that soundbite over and over again, McCain would paying the price.

However, you're okay with Palin intentionally making up a little white lie like the teleprompter lie in order to embelish her image? That's a sign of someone that may have a serious problem with truth.

HonestChieffan
09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
The Obo-bots are in such meltdown they absolutely have no idea what way to turn. When did thay or his excellency Obo say anything on any issue that matters to anyone? Had to be at the Dem Convention cause since then they have been tailspinning into the muck.

Pitt Gorilla
09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
The Obo-bots are in such meltdown they absolutely have no idea what way to turn. When did thay or his excellency Obo say anything on any issue that matters to anyone? Had to be at the Dem Convention cause since then they have been tailspinning into the muck.I'm not sure why they would be in a "meltdown" when the campaign appears to be on a significant upswing.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

penchief
09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Where to begin with this. He's lied about his father begin a goat herder? That he was born as a result of Selma? That he wouldn't run for president in 2008 because he didn't have the experience and would need to start campaigning before he spent one day in the US Senate?

The distortions of McCain's 100 year war statement? That he said that he always said the surge would work when he said the opposite?

When he said that he never heard the kind of words that Rev. Wright used before admitting that he had?

Seriously, the guy does this all the time. I don't know if that makes him any different than any other politician but your response only confirms my belief that most Obama supporters don't know what he stands for and, when pushed, don't care.

Look, I'm not one of your so called "obamabots." I am simply someone who came to the conclusion that he is our best opportunity to get this country back on track. I supported Biden in the primaries and tend to be politically pragmatic. I'm more conservative than righties on a lot of issues. I'm liberal on a lot of issues. But I'm pretty much a moderate when all is said and done.

So I'm not someone who can't be objective. I realize there is a lot of parsing of words that goes on in politics and that campaigns attempt to create narratives about their candidate and their opponent. But from where I sit, it has been clear that Obama has run a pretty honest campaign so far. Especially compared to the dishonesty being peddled by the McCain campaign.

After eight years of the most dishonest presidency in my lifetime (including Nixon), I'm sick and tired of it. And the "everybody does it and they're not any better" argument doesn't fly with me because it is obvious that there is a huge difference in the dishonesty each campaign has resorted to.

patteeu
09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
But McCain did say that he was all good with leaving the troops in Iraq for 100 years. I heard it myself. The reason that was so damning is not because Obama lied about it. It was damning because the people of this country know that Iraq was a huge misstep and the sooner we are able to extract ourselves gracefully from that country, the better.

The thought of 100 years in Iraq is not acceptable to the country. In fact, if the media would play that soundbite over and over again, McCain would paying the price.

However, you're okay with Palin intentionally making up a little white lie like the teleprompter lie in order to embelish her image? That's a sign of someone that may have a serious problem with truth.

Is it that you don't understand what the two men said or just that you are intentionally misrepresenting what took place in order to deny the obvious lie?