PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues My Opinion of Bush Sinks to "Unmitigated Disaster"

Amnorix
09-19-2008, 09:30 AM
So, perhaps this isn't newsworthy or anything, but recent events have sunk my opinion of President Bush from "mediocre" or what have you, as a President, to a complete unmitigated disaster on both foreign and domestic policy and implementation.

I would tend to put him in the bottom 10 Presidents, easily, and perhaps bottom 5. The only thing that can be actively said in his favor, in my view, is that neither he nor his senior team has actively participated in fraud or other illegal conduct, so far as anyone knows.

To be honest, it's completely incomprehensible to me that the Republican in this race-- no matter who it is -- has any chance at all to win, as the polls apparently indicate. The Republican leadership of this country over the last 8 years (for 6 of which extended to both houses of Congress as well), has been pretty much a complete failure.

A question occurs, however -- I know how Clinton is generally reviled by the Right, but would anyone use such strong terms for his Presidency? Would anyone on the Right call him one of the worst Presidents ever, and that his Presidency was an "unmitigated disaster"?

I'm no fan of Reagan (to say the least), but I wouldn't say these things of him, to be honest.

Amnorix
09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I love typos in a thread title. Ugh.

"my opinion OF Bush..." *sigh*

Mr. Kotter
09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
January 1953: approval ratings of President Harry Truman at 23%....in retrospect, a clear misjudgement.

Bush's rating is, currently, nearly 30% higher..... :shrug:

Only time, and history, will tell whether it is, as (fwiw, I agree at the moment) it would appear to be....or whether we are blinded by historical proximity and the unknown future.

PunkinDrublic
09-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I have a hard time respecting the intelligence of anyone who ever voted for that POS.

Mr. Kotter
09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
I have a hard time respecting the intelligence of anyone who ever voted for that POS.

I feel the same way about folks who voted for Carter. Or Kerry. :shrug:

HonestChieffan
09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Bush is the evil prince and contols markets, wars, hurricanes.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 10:37 AM
That's me Kotter. I voted for both.

Mr. Kotter
09-19-2008, 10:37 AM
That's me Kotter. I voted for both.

Like I said. ;)

:p

EDIT: In fairness, ideologues like you....can still, technically, be intelligent. Just confused intelligent.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I love typos in a thread title. Ugh.

"my opinion OF Bush..." *sigh*

Those are fixable, you click edit and then go advanced.

dirk digler
09-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Damn..I voted for Bush in 04.

Definitely a mistake.

PunkinDrublic
09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Damn..I voted for Bush in 04.

Definitely a mistake.

Admitting it is the first step the next step is voting against Bush III.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
January 1953: approval ratings of President Harry Truman at 23%....in retrospect, a clear misjudgement.
IMO that's not a misjudgment. He's another president with good PR in history books written by court historians.

Clinton in comparison to Bush was better but the Greenspan's inflationary era occurred under him too. This is a 16 year problem. I think Bush is one of the worst—just not the worst.

I know this, I will never vote for another Bush again. That includes Jeb who I was okay on as a gov here.

mlyonsd
09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
To be honest, it's completely incomprehensible to me that the Republican in this race-- no matter who it is -- has any chance at all to win, as the polls apparently indicate. The Republican leadership of this country over the last 8 years (for 6 of which extended to both houses of Congress as well), has been pretty much a complete failure.

I think the public is smart enough to know both parties have a habit of placing their interests ahead of doing what's right. In that respect the choice isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

jidar
09-19-2008, 01:58 PM
The only thing that can be actively said in his favor, in my view, is that neither he nor his senior team has actively participated in fraud or other illegal conduct, so far as anyone knows.

Actually Bush engaged in what should be a clear cut case of corporate fraud when he was a director of Harken Energy in 1990. Anyone else probably would have had problems, but being the son of then president George Bush Sr. has it's advantages.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Bush sucks.

Programmer
09-19-2008, 02:04 PM
It's nice to see that you are at last sticking by your guns (and religion) when talking about Bush.

How much of your pure hatred of the President comes purely from the fact that you are a democrat?

morphius
09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Clinton got to ride the Internet bubble, the start of day traders, Enron, MCI Worldcom, years of finger waving at Iraq with no action... and the only real saving grace was the fact that the republicans destroyed the democrats with their "contract" forcing him to come up with a slightly more balanced budget after lying to Americans after saying that there was no way he could avoid raising taxes.

Don't get me wrong, the Republicans basically started acting as lame as democrats when they had control of congress.

memyselfI
09-19-2008, 02:20 PM
So what took you so long? Are you a sadist or something????:doh!:

Truth is, both parties suck. GWB was able to prevail comfortably and effectively in his destruction of our country with the HELP of Democrats.

As far as any CON having a chance to win POTUS this election cycle given the circumstances, it's not because of the strength of the CON candidate but the weakness of the DEMs.

Ultra Peanut
09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Wait, it took THIS to do it?

You have the patience of a saint.

Mr. Kotter
09-19-2008, 05:06 PM
IMO that's not a misjudgment. He's another president with good PR in history books written by court historians.

Clinton in comparison to Bush was better but the Greenspan's inflationary era occurred under him too. This is a 16 year problem. I think Bush is one of the worstójust not the worst.

I know this, I will never vote for another Bush again. That includes Jeb who I was okay on as a gov here.

So, what Presidents have you liked. Seriously.

:shrug:

banyon
09-19-2008, 05:13 PM
So, perhaps this isn't newsworthy or anything, but recent events have sunk my opinion of President Bush from "mediocre" or what have you, as a President, to a complete unmitigated disaster on both foreign and domestic policy and implementation.

I would tend to put him in the bottom 10 Presidents, easily, and perhaps bottom 5. The only thing that can be actively said in his favor, in my view, is that neither he nor his senior team has actively participated in fraud or other illegal conduct, so far as anyone knows.

A question occurs, however -- I know how Clinton is generally reviled by the Right, but would anyone use such strong terms for his Presidency? Would anyone on the Right call him one of the worst Presidents ever, and that his Presidency was an "unmitigated disaster"?

I'm no fan of Reagan (to say the least), but I wouldn't say these things of him, to be honest.

I used to say he was bottom 5, now I'm at "Him or Buchanan?"

Frankie
09-19-2008, 05:42 PM

I have always considered you among the more intellectual posters here. With that in mind, I'm totally disappointed that you have EVER rated Dubya as high as "mediocre."

The only thing that can be actively said in his favor, in my view, is that neither he nor his senior team has actively participated in fraud or other illegal conduct, so far as anyone knows.

Again how can a person of your intellect miss out on the fact that the entire Iraq fiasco is a giant FRAUD perpetrated by Bush and his senior team. Please tell me you were being sarcastic here.

whoman69
09-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Only time, and history, will tell whether it is, as (fwiw, I agree at the moment) it would appear to be....or whether we are blinded by historical proximity and the unknown future.

Truman's ratings were low because he was the first president to get the ball moving on civil rights. He was also not Franklin Roosevelt. That was sort of like following John Wooden at UCLA. He certainly wasn't helped by sniping in the press by MacArthur because Truman wouldn't let him start WWIII with China.

whoman69
09-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I used to say he was bottom 5, now I'm at "Him or Buchanan?"

Buchanan, but not by much. Sitting by idly while the Civil War swings into action still trumps leading the country into a financial fiasco and leading a war against the wrong country.

WilliamTheIrish
09-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Worst POTUS in my lifetime. And I voted for him in 00.

ClevelandBronco
09-20-2008, 07:46 PM

Here's a wild guess: You don't do anything that involves economic understanding except for cashing your paycheck.

ClevelandBronco
09-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Wait, it took THIS to do it?

You have the patience of a saint.

Let's see, should I have the patience of a saint or the comprehension of a petulant child?

I'll take the former and leave you with the latter.

ClevelandBronco
09-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Oops. My bad.

***SPRAYER
09-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Harry Truman said "the buck stops here." Well, Bush is the leader, he has to bear the responsibility.

But you O-bots, liberals and partisan democrats need to take a look at the scumbags on your team.

Or aint nothing gonna change.

Dayze
09-20-2008, 08:47 PM
they all suck.

that is all.

Ultra Peanut
09-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Let's see, should I have the patience of a saint or the comprehension of a petulant child?

I'll take the former and leave you with the latter.Oh, I get it. The iciest of burns from you, good sir.

Now please, continue talking about killing "ghetto bitches" and burying them in the desert.

Direckshun
09-20-2008, 11:26 PM
My opinion of Bush has changed in the last year of his Presidency, since he has effectively done, by my count, nothing.

I've been on record in past threads arguing that bad Presidencies should be judged not by their shitty problems alone, but more importantly by how much work it takes to fix those problems by subsequent administrations.

By that measure, the first six years were going to land Bush in the Bottom 3, no question. But his last two years in office he has literally been rendered as powerless as a modern President has been since Gerald Ford. Maybe even moreso.

This powerlessness at the tail end of his term negates some of the mayhem from the first six years, and I don't think he will be regarded as the worst ever or an unmitigated disaster, but I do think his administration will be viewed as a deeply problematic Presidency that was so incompetent at everything but campaigning it rendered itself obsolete a full two years before his own term expired.

ClevelandBronco
09-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, I get it. The iciest of burns from you, good sir.

Now please, continue talking about killing "ghetto bitches" and burying them in the desert.

That's not a very nice way to categorize Ms. Obama.

Zebedee DuBois
09-21-2008, 12:15 PM
[posted during Falcon's game -fits football and politics] What we have now is a total mess. The Owner(s) need to totally clean house.

Ultra Peanut
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
That's not a very nice way to categorize Ms. Obama.You're p. bad at this.

MaxFects
09-21-2008, 08:32 PM
That's not a very nice way to categorize Ms. Obama.

classy

clemensol
09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Truman's ratings were low because he was the first president to get the ball moving on civil rights. He was also not Franklin Roosevelt. That was sort of like following John Wooden at UCLA. He certainly wasn't helped by sniping in the press by MacArthur because Truman wouldn't let him start WWIII with China.

Truman doesn't really deserve credit for getting the ball rolling on civil rights; he didn't do anything remotely meaningful.

The real reason for his unpopularity was Korea and its overwhelming unpopularity.

clemensol
09-21-2008, 09:09 PM

The main effect of the passing of time in evaluating events is that the facts get diluted, confused and revised.

Ultra Peanut
09-22-2008, 12:34 AM
classyQuite.

Darn. I missed Hobama.

Did that scanky c*nt lay it down and all?

Then he should bury that bitch in a hole in the desert.

I'll admit that I have a deep personal hatred for Sen. Obama's wife, Hobama, but I can't say that I feel any hate at all for the good Senator from Illinois.

Perhaps I should move to one of the coasts so I fit in better.

Mecca
09-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Quite.

Personally I find that stuff so ironic since if anyone says anything about Palin you'd think you just kicked one of their moms in the head.

Amnorix
09-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Here's a wild guess: You don't do anything that involves economic understanding except for cashing your paycheck.

Other than review financial statements and write financial covenants and talk to accountants, CFOs and treasurers frequently, you're precisely correct.