PDA

View Full Version : Electronics So, any idea what would make Outlook send 600 copies of the same email?

keg in kc
09-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Comment #1: I hate outlook, even if it didn't do this

Comment #2: I was on the receiving end, along with three other lucky people I work with. We've banned the sender from ever using email again rofl

It's funny more than anything. Fortunately it was all people within the company, so no clients got spammed. The same email, with 4-5 MB of attachments (video), every 3 minutes or so, from late afternoon until 8 am.

Any ideas why it would do that? My guess is just some random glitch with outlook, rather than something like, say, a virus. My suggestion was going to be simply to reboot his PC, and apparently that's what stopped it.

Lzen
09-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Spam bot has control over his email client?

keg in kc
09-19-2008, 10:53 AM
He's apparently run full virus checks. *shrug*

The guy knows absolutely zilch about computers, though, so who knows. What I do know is that I'm not going to spend an hour trying to walk him through installing and running spybot S&D or Ad-aware.

Shag
09-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Did you confirm that the message copies had different messageIDs? If they all have the same messageID, then something else is looping the message, not the client...

keg in kc
09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I can't check that here, I've deleted all of them on my home pc. I'll see if I have any saved in the studio.

keg in kc
09-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Unique message id's.

Silock
09-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a Microsoft problem.

BigRedChief
09-19-2008, 03:03 PM
The client has told Outlook to automatically send email. The bit is not clearing inside of Outlook so it thinks it needs to resend the email. Create a backup .pst. Uninstall the client and reinstall. If that doesn't work then the clients account on the server is the cause of not clearing the bit and you will have to delete her profile on the server and rebuild.

StcChief
09-19-2008, 03:15 PM
M$ enough said