PDA

View Full Version : Elections Anyone watching Obama's Press Conference?

jAZ
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM
It's amazing the difference between McCain's reponse to this and Obama's.

Obama is taking the toughest, most detailed, technical policy questions of any of the 6 majors (Bush, Cheney, McCain, Palin, Obama, Biden).

All of the policial rhetoric and ideological preferences aside, Obama is an incredibliy smart man and it's refreshing to see someone who has the interest and ability to actually understand the details of policy and problems.

If elected, he'll be a very good leader. You might not agree with the policies but to the degree that someone can set that sort of judgement aside, I think most Americans (including R's) would respect him as a leader like they did Clinton when he left office.

RJ
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
But is he wearing a flag pin?

KCJohnny
09-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Obama is taking the toughest, most detailed, technical policy questions of any of the 6 majors (Bush, Cheney, McCain, Palin, Obama, Biden).

All of the policial rhetoric and ideological preferences aside, Obama is an incredibliy smart man and it's refreshing to see someone who has the interest and ability to actually understand the details of policy and problems.

If elected, he'll be a very good leader. You might not agree with the policies but to the degree that someone can set that sort of judgement aside, I think most Americans (including R's) would respect him as a leader like they did Clinton when he left office.

ROFL

There's that nagging problem of experience....

jAZ
09-19-2008, 11:01 AM
ROFL

Ummm... the point of this thread is that he clearly already is, but if elected he'll be a very good leader ...of our nation.

RINGLEADER
09-19-2008, 11:02 AM

His belief in the economy is that higher taxes lead to more jobs and higher wages. I don't know how he comes to this conclusion but he seems pretty confident in that philosophy. To me that shows that he has no understanding of how the free market system works. But if he wins it's his show to run.

I think he just said the fundamentals of the economy are sound. :)

KCJohnny
09-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Ummm... the point of this thread is that he clearly already is, but if elected he'll be a very good leader ...of our nation.

You are obviously too young to remember the Jimmy Carter administration. I am not.

KCJohnny
09-19-2008, 11:04 AM
His belief in the economy is that higher taxes lead to more jobs and higher wages. I don't know how he comes to this conclusion but he seems pretty confident in that philosophy. To me that shows that he has no understanding of how the free market system works. But if he wins it's his show to run.

Yep. Higher taxes and wealth redistribution have never led to economic prosperity in this country.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 11:04 AM

Like I said, this isn't about your prefered ideological position. This is about a leader who has the individiual capaicty to contribute to the decision making. Something we haven't had at the top in years.

Hog Farmer
09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
We as citizens of this great country should just give ALL of our income to the government. We don't NEEd all these extra perks we hve like food, shelter, electricity.

RINGLEADER
09-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Yep. Higher taxes and wealth redistribution have never led to economic prosperity in this country.

Absent a huge influx into the capital markets, like during the Internet bubble, it hasn't. Last time it was tried and we didn't have the additional capital available it didn't turn out so good.

RINGLEADER
09-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Like I said, this isn't about your prefered ideological position. This is about a leader who has the individiual capaicty to contribute to the decision making. Something we haven't had at the top in years.

OK. Let's roll the dice and hope for the best! At least we know the bad ideas will be coming from someone who can contribute to the (bad) decision making.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 11:12 AM
OK. Let's roll the dice and hope for the best! At least we know the bad ideas will be coming from someone who can contribute to the (bad) decision making.
You've started your own thread to beat your dead horse. Don't know why you want two at this point.

irishjayhawk
09-19-2008, 11:17 AM
ROFL

There's that retarded problem of you posting....

Yet, low taxes and high spending has proven to get us into economic trouble. Hence, today.

Interesting how that works.

KCJohnny
09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
There's that retarded problem of you posting....

Yet, low taxes and high spending has proven to get us into economic trouble. Hence, today.

Interesting how that works.

Dude, wake up and realize who has been behind the cheap credit trend.

Hint: the party that is for "the people"...

irishjayhawk
09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Dude, wake up and realize who has been behind the cheap credit trend.

Hint: the party that is for "the people"...

Dude, wake up and realize it's both parties fault.

jAZ
09-19-2008, 11:21 AM
What I found most interesting was that McCain's presentation was largely about political attacks squarely at Obama. Obama reached back into his "unity" and "one America" tone.

It's was stark contrast between a leader and a campaigner at a moment in crisis when leadership is essential.

ChiTown
09-19-2008, 11:22 AM
What I found most interesting was that McCain's presentation was largely about political attacks squarely at Obama. Obama reached back into his "unity" and "one America" tone.

It's was stark contrast between a leader and a campaigner at a moment in crisis when leadership is essential.

(cue the violins)

mlyonsd
09-19-2008, 11:24 AM
(cue the violins)

Don't forget to hold hands.

KCJohnny
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM

The messiah!

jAZ
09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
(cue the violins)

Don't forget to hold hands.

The messiah!

Credit to Bush, Paulsen, and everyone in the House and Senate who are typically campaign surrogates that I've seen so far taking the same approach as Obama.

Really puts McCain out on an island and says a lot about him.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
You are obviously too young to remember the Jimmy Carter administration. I am not.

I voted for Carter and so I counter weight your opinion.

Calcountry
09-19-2008, 11:40 AM

If elected, he'll be a very good leader. You might not agree with the policies but to the degree that someone can set that sort of judgement aside, I think most Americans (including R's) would respect him as a leader like they did Clinton when he left office.I saw it, and it was difficult to discern exactly wtf he was trying to say inbetween all the uhhmk , err, uhhhms. Quite frankly, I cannot tolerate 4 MORE YEARS of this shit, it's time for CHANGE, elect an articulate speaker for President in 08.

Calcountry
09-19-2008, 11:41 AM

It's was stark contrast between a leader and a campaigner at a moment in crisis when leadership is essential.You listen to that dumbass foible around his head trying to come up with the magic words, without creating a gaffe, it really is hillarious foo.

Calcountry
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Dude, wake up and realize it's both parties fault.
Do you know who Franklin Raines is?

HonestChieffan
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
The man cannot give an answer. Its amazing to me anyone pays attention to this babbler.

KCJohnny
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I voted for Carter .

ROFL:Lin:

mikeboogie
09-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Here is some video from the press conference!!!! I am Impressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU

Chief Henry
09-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I voted for Carter

You admit to that :D

Calcountry
09-19-2008, 12:40 PM
uhhh, ummmm, er, ummm, uuhhhh ahhh fug it, change, oh yeah, change.

irishjayhawk
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM

You admit to that :D

And, yet, people openly admit and are proud of their vote for GWB.

Direckshun
09-19-2008, 12:59 PM

If you can find me a link I will purposely lobby to Missouri's state Congress for matrimonial equality so I can marry you.

Ari Chi3fs
09-19-2008, 01:08 PM
for all you bitching about Obama raising taxes. STFU AND STFD.

http://chartjunk.karmanaut.com/wp-content/images/wapo.gif

http://chartjunk.karmanaut.com/taxplans/

BigCatDaddy
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM

An honest question, Do both candidates plan to let the Bush Tax cut expire?

splatbass
09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
His belief in the economy is that higher taxes lead to more jobs and higher wages. I don't know how he comes to this conclusion but he seems pretty confident in that philosophy.

Maybe because that is exactly what happened during the Clinton administration? While during the Reagan and Bush administrations tax cuts led to high deficits and recession?

splatbass
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Did you sleep through the Clinton administration?

penchief
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
ROFL

And then there is your nagging problem of credibility.

Are you going to answer that question about McCain and Palin acting like God by presuming to know what is in Obama's heart when they claimed to know that his motives are his own ambition over country. You condemn others for claiming to know what is in someone else's heart. Why aren't you condemning them?

Fat Elvis
09-19-2008, 01:38 PM

ooooohhhh...Gerald R. Ford. Nice Choice ShortJeep Johnny!

tiptap
09-19-2008, 01:38 PM
An honest question, Do both candidates plan to let the Bush Tax cut expire?

NO both charts reflect a redirecting of those cuts, a re sculpting. McCain's is very close to Bush's though.

penchief
09-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Trickle down has never led to economic prosperity in this country. Despite what you say, Clinton's approach of empowering the consumer base (trickle up) did, in fact, enable economic prosperity.

Trickle down has always been a scam that has always led to the same results. It is designed to enable the wealthy and influential at the top to suck up resources and capital at the expense of the economy as a whole.

Trickle down has traditionally enabled such Christian-like behavior as greed, hubris, exploitation, manipulation, gouging, and fraud.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-19-2008, 01:46 PM
You gotta love some of the dipshits on this thread, who haven't had a thought that wasn't first given to them by right wing radio or Fox, trying to impugn Obama's intelligence.

It's like living in a bizarro world.

RJ
09-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Trickle down has traditionally enabled such Christian-like behavior as greed, hubris, exploitation, manipulation, gouging, and fraud.

That's OT stuff there. All that plus locusts, famine and pestilence.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Trickle down has never led to economic prosperity in this country. Despite what you say, Clinton's approach of empowering the consumer base (trickle up) did, in fact, enable economic prosperity.

Trickle down has always been a scam that has always led to the same results. It is designed to enable the wealthy and influential at the top to suck up resources and capital at the expense of the economy as a whole.

Trickle down has always enabled such Christian-like behavior as greed, hubris, exploitation, manipulation, gouging, and fraud.

Johnny has no knowledge of history. He's a blank slate.

Hawk and sparrow didn't work in the 1890's. Voodoo economics helped quadruple our deficit from 81-93, and the Bush tax cuts have left us in an even more ruinous budget state.

Of course, no one seems to remember the Alternative Minimum Tax and how it further shifted the tax burden to the middle class by providing all kinds of deductions and loopholes for those whom wage earning was not a primary source of income.

"The extreme promises of supply-side economics did not materialize. President Reagan argued that because of the effect depicted in the Laffer curve, the government could maintain expenditures, cut tax rates, and balance the budget. This was not the case. Government revenues fell sharply from levels that would have been realized without the tax cuts."
- Karl Case & Ray Fair, Principles of Economics (2007), p. 695

Iowanian
09-19-2008, 01:57 PM
You've got a little mayo on your chin.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 02:03 PM

And if you believe that I got some, ocean front property in Kansas City.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-19-2008, 02:06 PM

So, you believe that Obama is going to raise taxes on everyone, yet when presented with evidence from a third party that directly refutes that assertion, you now believe that Obama is simply lying?

The tautology of idiocy, everyone.

ChiTown
09-19-2008, 02:06 PM

That's one of my favorite songs...............

irishjayhawk
09-19-2008, 02:08 PM
So, you believe that Obama is going to raise taxes on everyone, yet when presented with evidence from a third party that directly refutes that assertion, you now believe that Obama is simply lying?

God placed fossils to fool us.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Anyone with an ounce of common sense looking at the bailout going on and the massive increase in spending he proposes knows that is impossible but go ahead and keep calling everyone an idiot who says anything negative about Obama.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 02:17 PM
You've got a little mayo on your chin.

This place makes moveon.org look objective.

Guru
09-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Looks like I slept through what ever happened today. Youtube links? Did both speak or only Obama?

Ultra Peanut
09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
His belief in the economy is that higher taxes lead to more jobs and higher wages. I don't know how he comes to this conclusion but he seems pretty confident in that philosophy. To me that shows that he has no understanding of how the free market system works. But if he wins it's his show to run.When has supply side economics led to an improvement in the American economy?

tiptap
09-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Anyone with an ounce of common sense looking at the bailout going on and the massive increase in spending he proposes knows that is impossible but go ahead and keep calling everyone an idiot who says anything negative about Obama.

I said that about the war in Iraq but Bush knew the answer. Obama does talk about raising taxes on margins and if that activity isn't protected behind some kind of retirement program then it would constitute a higher tax. But if the rest of us are getting taxed for our income in work, I don't see why investors get let off easy (see Buffet and Secretary) since they didn't bring prosperity to my portfolio over the last 8 years.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I said that about the war in Iraq but Bush knew the answer. Obama does talk about raising taxes on margins and if that activity isn't protected behind some kind of retirement program then it would constitute a higher tax. But if the rest of us are getting taxed for our income in work, I don't see why investors get let off easy (see Buffet and Secretary) since they didn't bring prosperity to my portfolio over the last 8 years.

Because people will not invest here and move their money offshore. It's already happening now imagine if you moved it to their income rate.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I think diversification is good. If they want to give up the citizenship and work elsewhere, will they will be welcomed back when they have had enough of Ireland.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 02:53 PM
They won't get to partake in the rise of the economy either if they aren't in the market. I think that still is a good bet.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I think diversification is good. If they want to give up the citizenship and work elsewhere, will they will be welcomed back when they have had enough of Ireland.

Doesn't work like that. What do you want to do build a wall to keep our citizens in or our ex-citizens out?

Big money already has enough BTW.

BigMeatballDave
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Senators make lousy Presidents. Just saying...

tiptap
09-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Doesn't work like that. What do you want to do build a wall to keep our citizens in or our ex-citizens out?

Big money already has enough BTW.

I made an off the cuff, off the wall statement because I thought your comments were a little melodramatic. The treat of leaving doesn't scare me or lull me because I have faith that there are capable people to take their place if they want to give up their place at the table. And maybe a change up in leadership in industry and commerce might give us more responsive and responsible players.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I made an off the cuff, off the wall statement because I thought your comments were a little melodramatic. The treat of leaving doesn't scare me or lull me because I have faith that there are capable people to take their place if they want to give up their place at the table. And maybe a change up in leadership in industry and commerce might give us more responsive and responsible players.

It's not about that, it's about keeping some of the wealth already created here. I have clients leaving this country now. They make their wealth here and take it somewhere else of leave a small chunk here. THat's what I have been talking about. It's also not about people, it's about the landscape these people want to do business in. California is a microcosm of what the United States will become under an Obama. We keep having great companies leave because they are tired of overtaxation. B of A was a great example. We keep losing the percentage of promissing start ups as well.

Here this kind of explains what will happen on a much larger scale.

California exodus turns to stampede
High taxes drive jobs, people from one state to another

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON California, which once lured Americans from near and far, is now driving out millions of the most productive residents including high percentages of the most affluent.

"When California faced a Mount Everest-sized $14 billion deficit in 2003, one of the major causes for the red ink was the stampede of millionaire households from the state," says a report called "Rich States, Poor States" by economists Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore. "Out of the 25,000 or so seven-figure-income families, more than 5,000 left in the early 2000s, and the loss of their tax payments accounted for about half the budget hole."

And it's not just the rich leaving.

Based on data from moving companies, California had the second-highest domestic population out-flow of any state in 2005, according to the report, "despite the beautiful weather, beaches, and mountains."

The bad news for California is that it faces a $14 billion deficit this year, despite boasting one of the highest tax burdens in the nation.

The report, published by the American Legislative Exchange Council shows jobs are not just leaving the country they are moving from state to state, with the population following.

"States are in direct competition with each other for human capital and business investment. State governments that think they can attract jobs and people, and grow their economies, by taxing their citizens at a higher rate than their neighbors are sadly mistaken," said Democratic Arkansas state Sen. Steve Faris, ALEC's 2008 national chairman. "Legislators should take a close look at where their state ranks in this book and use it as a tool to help them improve."

Moore told the Heartland Institute he is discouraged that government officials at all levels apparently have failed to recognize the benefits of tax cuts, spending controls, and open markets.

"We've gone from $25 trillion to $56 trillion of asset value in 25 years," said Moore. "Policies that were enacted in the 1980s to bring this about are being reversed."

Laffer's "Laffer Curve" analysis of tax rates, economic growth, and government revenues shaped the tax-cutting policies of the Reagan administration in the 1980s. Laffer served as a member of President Ronald Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board for both of Reagan's terms as president. Moore is founder of the Club for Growth and senior economics writer and editorial board member at the Wall Street Journal.

The report provides economic competitiveness rankings for all 50 states based on 16 policy variables with a proven effect on the migration of people and investment capital in and out of states. States with the lowest tax, spending, and regulatory burdens win the competitiveness contest. These are primarily in the South and Southwest regions of the nation.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 04:18 PM
tiptap,

For the record I am also now looking at getting out of here by the end of next year.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 04:28 PM
You know I'd try Belize. My family has had me looking at Canada or France for some time now. I am the conservative in my family. Yeah that's right.

BIG_DADDY
09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
You know I'd try Belize. My family has had me looking at Canada or France for some time now. I am the conservative in my family. Yeah that's right.

No, I want to go back to Southern Oregon where my P's are up in the mountains somewhere and raise my son there as long as they are still alive. Some things are more important than chasing money. I will consider leaving the country after the P's are gone. We will see where we are at at that point. Actually I would like to look around Argentina some time soon.

SBK
09-19-2008, 04:35 PM

I laughed.

I have a good friend who has said the next guy that changes his taxes up he's packing his crap and moving to China because their taxation system is far, far less than ours. Think about that.....

I think he's nuts, but I understand.