PDA

View Full Version : General Politics 2.0 ****Official Critical Thinking Thread**** Honestly Critique Your Candidate

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm creating this thread as a way to actually gauge if some people on this thread have any synaptic power worth saving, or if the hive mind is so far beyond hope, that it is best to become the Don Rickles of DC and function as nothing but an insult poster.

Here goes.

I support Barack Obama.

Although I support Obama, I have a variety of problems with some of his platforms and previous issue stances. I will henceforth address these:

• Gay Marriage--I wish that he would have taken a more liberal line on this. I understand that he supports civil unions, but I do feel that this is somewhat of a political cop out. You can't say that marriage is a church institution when it has to be recognized by the state in order for it to be valid.

• FISA--I still don't understand why he flipped on this issue. The last thing that we need is to give the government even more authority of surveying our everyday lives. The government works for the people and should not remove the individual's autonomy to conduct him/herself without a court order

• Israel--The United States government gives more aid to Israel than any other country. We sell huge amounts of arms to them, and have privately engineered their entire nuclear program. They act as an antagonist in the region just as much as they are picked on, and our continued meddling in their affairs has led directly the many of the problems we face in the Muslim world. Despite this, both candidates feel compelled to continually support a terrorist state.

• Continued support of the military-industrial complex--one of the biggest problems of our current budget crisis is the fact that we continually spend billions of dollars acquiring new weapons systems so that we can have the best of the best in every aspect of military hardware. This is neither advisable nor sustainable. The United States already has more than enough economic clout as well as military firepower to serve as a deterrent to any nation on earth, yet due to the unnecessary influence of the Iron Triangle, we continue to redistribute wealth from the ordinary citizen to companies that make weapons of death and destruction

•Christianity--I think that Obama wraps too much of his personal rhetoric in Christianity at times. It is nowhere near as copious as George W. Bush, but it is still too much for my personal liking. I respect that he is a man of faith, but I don't feel it necessary for him to mention it as often as he does.

In spite of these qualms (some of them large), I will still vote for Obama, as I feel that he is the best of the candidates in this election, and will be able to deliver on policy that I find most important to me.

I encourage the rest of you to engage in similar acts of intellectual calisthenics, and state areas of contention with your preferred candidate. It might prove enlightening.

Nightfyre
09-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I support Ron Paul. My critique at this point would be:
1) He has an overly simplistic view of the free-market.
Despite what he says, you do require a safe and secure marketplace. In particular, you need SOMEONE to prevent insider trading and collusion. Otherwise you have a market that is not free, but is a despotism whereby colluding parties can kill companies at a whim and at a hefty profit. This is constitutional in the respect that congress has the power to legislate interstate commerce.

tiptap
09-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Can I just laugh

tiptap
09-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Ok since I placed an entry on this thread I will be serious for a moment.

I think people should have access to guns, you know hand guns and such. I do think the sell and ownership should be well documented so that isn't the NRA stance

I too think that the border with Mexico needs to be addressed.

I have big questions about our support of Israel as well.

I prefer a single player plan for Universal Health Care. It will be cheaper in the long run.

I think SS benefits age should be raised. Better health care means a longer productive life before governmental retirement benefits.

I am ambivalent about Free Trade Agreement across N. America.

WilliamTheIrish
09-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Repost! LMAO

irishjayhawk
09-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I support Barack Obama.

Reluctantly, me as well.

Although I support Obama, I have a variety of problems with some of his platforms and previous issue stances. I will henceforth address these:

• Gay Marriage--I wish that he would have taken a more liberal line on this. I understand that he supports civil unions, but I do feel that this is somewhat of a political cop out. You can't say that marriage is a church institution when it has to be recognized by the state in order for it to be valid.

I'm not sure where I stand on that issue, honestly. Part of me agrees and part disagreed.

• FISA--I still don't understand why he flipped on this issue. The last thing that we need is to give the government even more authority of surveying our everyday lives. The government works for the people and should not remove the individual's autonomy to conduct him/herself without a court order

This issue is big with me. I don't know why he flipped on this issue and even if he spins it as compromise, it's a weak, stupid compromise.

• Israel--The United States government gives more aid to Israel than any other country. We sell huge amounts of arms to them, and have privately engineered their entire nuclear program. They act as an antagonist in the region just as much as they are picked on, and our continued meddling in their affairs has led directly the many of the problems we face in the Muslim world. Despite this, both candidates feel compelled to continually support a terrorist state.

Yep, another big issue for me. Cut ties with Israel, period.

• Continued support of the military-industrial complex--one of the biggest problems of our current budget crisis is the fact that we continually spend billions of dollars acquiring new weapons systems so that we can have the best of the best in every aspect of military hardware. This is neither advisable nor sustainable. The United States already has more than enough economic clout as well as military firepower to serve as a deterrent to any nation on earth, yet due to the unnecessary influence of the Iron Triangle, we continue to redistribute wealth from the ordinary citizen to companies that make weapons of death and destruction

Never thought about this, but this make sense and goes in stride with my thoughts about WMDs and our pursuit for others not to have them.

•Christianity--I think that Obama wraps too much of his personal rhetoric in Christianity at times. It is nowhere near as copious as George W. Bush, but it is still too much for my personal liking. I respect that he is a man of faith, but I don't feel it necessary for him to mention it as often as he does.

This is my biggest fear, but it also is alleviated a bit by the fact that for every Christian bone it seems he throws a secular one as well. (cling to religion) I'm not naive to think that there will be an atheist president soon, but I'm also not willing to go another 4 or 8 years with a god fan like GWB.

•Drug War--Here, I like Obama's stance but since Biden was brought in, I wonder if that will sway. We need to end the drug war. Period. End of story. It's a waste of money and resources. Obama seemed to see that view but the presence of Biden may make him reconsider.

That's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll think of some more when people bring up more topics.

Silock
09-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I support Ron Paul. My critique at this point would be:
1) He has an overly simplistic view of the free-market.
Despite what he says, you do require a safe and secure marketplace. In particular, you need SOMEONE to prevent insider trading and collusion. Otherwise you have a market that is not free, but is a despotism whereby colluding parties can kill companies at a whim and at a hefty profit. This is constitutional in the respect that congress has the power to legislate interstate commerce.

I agree with this, although I don't believe he is for total deregulation. I think he wants controls in place to assure that there are fair business practices with no pandering to SIGs.