PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Explanation for Dems obsession with Palin?

Bootlegged
09-20-2008, 05:11 AM
Why the unprecedented obsession/hatred for a VP candidate?

Mecca
09-20-2008, 05:15 AM
I don't think anyone exactly has an obsession with her just no one knew jack about her so we get alot of threads with info.

Bootlegged
09-20-2008, 05:18 AM
I don't think anyone exactly has an obsession with her just no one knew jack about her so we get alot of threads with info.

Really - like important stuff like this?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=192091

Guru
09-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Waste of a thread.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Really - like important stuff like this?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=192091

Sure, it's nice to see when people who claim they are fiscally conservative actually aren't....notice that guy who's president now.

Bootlegged
09-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Waste of a thread.

Guess it is all in your perspective. Some might say 90% of this forum is a waste.

Just consolidate it to two threads

WE HATE PALIN!!!1!

OBAMA SUCKS!!1!

Mecca
09-20-2008, 05:21 AM
Guess it is all in your perspective. Some might say 90% of this forum is a waste.

WE HATE PALIN!!!1!

OBAMA SUCKS!!1!

No way dude, we have to have a POW thread too.

Guru
09-20-2008, 05:27 AM

WE HATE PALIN!!!1!

OBAMA SUCKS!!1!
How about 1 thread. Washington DC sucks.

Bootlegged
09-20-2008, 05:38 AM
http://wcbstv.com/campaign08/congressman.charles.rangel.2.821541.html

Rangel: I Didn't Mean To Call Palin 'Disabled'
Embattled Politician: It's Laughable That GOP VP Nominee Bases Foreign Policy On Being Able To See Russia
Reporting
Marcia Kramer NEW YORK (CBS) ― Already under fire for his tax troubles, Manhattan Congressman Charles Rangel really put his foot in his mouth on Friday.

In a CBS 2 HD exclusive interview, Rep. Rangel called Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin "disabled."

The question was simple: Why are the Democrats so afraid of Palin and her popularity?

The answer was astonishing.

"You got to be kind to the disabled," Rangel said.

That's right. The chairman of the powerful House Ways & Means Committee called Palin disabled -- even when CBS 2 HD called him on it.

CBS 2 HD: "You got to be kind to the disabled?"

Rangel: "Yes."

CBS 2 HD: "She's disabled?"

Rangel: "There's no question about it politically. It's a nightmare to think that a person's foreign policy is based on their ability to look at Russia from where they live."

Later Friday, Rangel issued a statement saying "disabled" wasn't the word he meant to use.

"Governor Palin is an obviously healthy person who in no way fits the description of disabled. I meant to say then, and I am saying now, that she entered the campaign with a disadvantage in the area of foreign policy," Rangel said in a statement.

"Any inference that my words were in any connected to her son, Trig, who was born with Down syndrome, is a real stretch -- and, I would have to think -- a way to make political points out of my poor choice of words," he added.

Republicans think Rangel's comments are insulting as well as shocking.

"Charlie Rangel's comments are clearly disgraceful," Rep. Peter King, R-Long Island, said. "This is just another liberal Democrat who can't accept an independent woman running for president."

King, who is co-chair of the McCain-Palin campaign in New York, watched Rangel's comments with CBS 2 HD. He was particularly upset because Palin's 4-month-old son, Trig, is disabled. He has Down syndrome.

"We should be sensitive to her or any woman who has a child or family member who has any affliction at all," King said. "And so to use the word disabled in the context of a female candidate for vice president who has a child who is disabled really is wrong. Charlie owes her and the entire disabled community and apology."

Advocates for the disabled are also upset.

"It makes me feel as if he's trying to put her down, trying to say she's not good for the presidency or the vice presidency," said Michael Imperiale of Disabled In Action Of Metropolitan N.Y.

"A disabled president ran this country. He was disabled. His name was Roosevelt."

A spokesman for the McCain-Palin campaign also piled on, saying that this kind of rhetoric has no place in politics.

Rangel for weeks has been embroiled in controversy over his failure to report taxes on income from a beach house, use of three rent-stabilized apartments in his home district of Harlem, and using official stationery to try to drum up private donations for a college center named after the congressman. On Friday he reporting paying $10,800 in back taxes and said in an open letter to constituents that Republicans were waging a "guerrilla war" against him.

Bill Parcells
09-20-2008, 05:39 AM
No way dude, we have to have a POW thread too.

Spending 6 years of his life getting the shit kicked out of him is part of his life. I don't get your obsession with it. maybe someone should tie you up and kick the shit out of you for 6 years to get a better understanding of the circumstances. of course you would have to spend 6 years not on CP doing mock drafts and talking draft and also 6 years of not watching USC games. I think you would have been broken and would have become a communist.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Spending 6 years of his life getting the shit kicked out of him is part of his life. I don't get your obsession with it. maybe someone should tie you up and kick the shit out of you for 6 years to get a better understanding of the circumstances. of course you would have to spend 6 years not on CP doing mock drafts and talking draft and also 6 years of not watching USC games. I think you would have been broken and would have become a communist.

Maybe he shouldn't mention it every 5 seconds then, even Guru who has different views than me said it's getting tiresome.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 05:42 AM
And here you go...

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6011/palinfactssmalllowrezsn7.jpg

Mecca
09-20-2008, 06:04 AM
This sums up this election for me.....

Republicans: "Michelle Obama HATES WHITEY!"
Democrats: "Well, no, that's not true..."
Republicans: "And Barak HUSSEIN Obama is a Muslim!"
Democrats: "Actually, he's not, but what's wrong with being Muslim?"
Republicans: "And Obama won't say the Pledge of Allegiance!"
Democrats: "...not true, there are many videos of him..."
Republicans: "And he's probably the Anti-Christ!"
Democrats: "Oh come on, this is just getting silly..."
Republicans: "And Obama wants to abort 12th Trimester babies!"
Democrats: "Oh, hey, look- your 'Family Values' V.P. has a pregnant daughter."
Republicans: "HOW DARE YOU SMEAR OUR CANDIDATE! I GUESS WE'RE SEEING YOUR TRUE COLORS NOW, AREN'T WE?"

J Diddy
09-20-2008, 06:46 AM
This sums up this election for me.....

Republicans: "Michelle Obama HATES WHITEY!"
Democrats: "Well, no, that's not true..."
Republicans: "And Barak HUSSEIN Obama is a Muslim!"
Democrats: "Actually, he's not, but what's wrong with being Muslim?"
Republicans: "And Obama won't say the Pledge of Allegiance!"
Democrats: "...not true, there are many videos of him..."
Republicans: "And he's probably the Anti-Christ!"
Democrats: "Oh come on, this is just getting silly..."
Republicans: "And Obama wants to abort 12th Trimester babies!"
Democrats: "Oh, hey, look- your 'Family Values' V.P. has a pregnant daughter."
Republicans: "HOW DARE YOU SMEAR OUR CANDIDATE! I GUESS WE'RE SEEING YOUR TRUE COLORS NOW, AREN'T WE?"

For a cliff notes version is incredibly accurate.

Amnorix
09-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I pretty much line up with Mecca on this. Nicely stated.

I only post to note that it would take 100x the hatred and vitriol, continuing for YEARS, before the Democrats even begin to catch up to the general reaction of Republicans to Hillary Clinton. As far as I can tell, the very words "Hillary Clinton" tend to make most Republicans froth at the mouth and begin baying.

Mecca
09-20-2008, 07:45 AM
I pretty much line up with Mecca on this. Nicely stated.

I only post to note that it would take 100x the hatred and vitriol, continuing for YEARS, before the Democrats even begin to catch up to the general reaction of Republicans to Hillary Clinton. As far as I can tell, the very words "Hillary Clinton" tend to make most Republicans froth at the mouth and begin baying.

The McCain campaign has topped Karl Rove for scumbag tactics over the past month then they cry foul....and then you got fools like Patteau and Tom or whoever he is on here defending it...

I posted this in another thread but this is how the general population of this country makes me feel.

I find it disconcerting that I continue to hold on to the belief that America, and by extension humanity, will one day learn to correct our errors.

I react to my naivete with bewilderment and concern.

I fear and loathe living in a time where being stupid is the rule, not the exception, that the gene pool hasn't somehow rid itself of our lowliest inhabitants.

I stop to reconsider if any of us are worth saving.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2008, 08:26 AM

"So, John, for $1 million, how many houses do you own?"

"You know for 5 1/2 years, I only had one home. I didn't have a kitchen table, I didn't have a chair."

Programmer
09-20-2008, 08:52 AM
"So, John, for $1 million, how many houses do you own?"

"You know for 5 1/2 years, I only had one home. I didn't have a kitchen table, I didn't have a chair."

What business is it of yours? As asked before, quick answer here, how many pairs of sox do you have in your dresser?

A person that has money, like McCain/wife, has propery for investment. They have vacation homes.

It's not business of any of ours of how many homes he has, as well as no business as to how many pairs of sox you have in your dresser.

This is the kind of shit liberals are worried about?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2008, 08:55 AM
What business is it of yours? As asked before, quick answer here, how many pairs of sox do you have in your dresser?

A person that has money, like McCain/wife, has propery for investment. They have vacation homes.

It's not business of any of ours of how many homes he has, as well as no business as to how many pairs of sox you have in your dresser.

This is the kind of shit liberals are worried about?

I have 0 "sox".

Programmer
09-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I have 0 "sox".

Symantics, you now what was meant. SOCKS

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Symantics, you now what was meant. SOCKS

What are "symantics"? I did not present tense what was meant, either.

Frankie
09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Bootlegged forgot to include options 5 and 6 in his poll. So here they are:

5- Dems realize that she is uneducated, uninformed and grossly unqualified to be one 73 year old breath from the presidency: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk20IySDwhw

6- She is George W with lipstick.

Programmer
09-20-2008, 10:51 AM
What are "symantics"? I did not present tense what was meant, either.

I guess I'll just have to consider you incapable of figuring out anything outside youre little world.

banyon
09-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I guess I'll just have to consider you incapable of figuring out anything outside youre little world.

It's "you're".

NewChief
09-20-2008, 11:42 AM

5- Dems realize that she is uneducated, uninformed and grossly unqualified to be one 73 year old breath from the presidency: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk20IySDwhw

6- She is George W with lipstick.

7- Dems smell blood in the water, and they're in a feeding frenzy.

Frankie
09-20-2008, 01:16 PM

That too.

J Diddy
09-20-2008, 01:26 PM

8. I've never done a hockey mom.

Programmer
09-20-2008, 01:39 PM
It's "you're".

Got nothing better to do Mr. Christian?

"I'm a lead farmer, motherf***a"

That shows your true colors.

Logical
09-20-2008, 02:20 PM

6- She is George W with lipstick.How do I vote for both 5 and 6.

MahiMike
09-20-2008, 02:40 PM
She's HOT! But Kucinichs wife is hotter. Other than that, she's just a whore for the dark side....

Earthling
09-20-2008, 03:00 PM
It's "you're".

hehehe Banyon..Actually its your. :D

Frankie
09-20-2008, 04:50 PM

I think he was being sarcastic and pointing out other previous spelling indiscretions.

whoman69
09-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I think the reason that Dems are so up in arms about Palin is because she was unknown that in the initial days of her selection John McCain was painting her as some sort of patron saint of conservatism. The bloggers and surrogates came out with a lot of information in those days, some of it true, but most a half-baked claims. The other side certainly has not been bound by truth in their claims either.
Sarah Palin represents the anti-Democrat. She is obviously bright, articulate and seems to be politically astute. Behind the picture painted for her by her prospective boss, I find a lot of warts. She is like Dorian Grey. Sooner or later the facts are going to come out. She looks like another Bush to me. She's said to be a budget conservative but oversaw the largest budget in Alaskan history and ran a massive deficit in Wasilla. She is another Gonzales in her opinion that her position means she doesn't have to follow the law. She lost her fight to ban books when she had to back down in her attempt to fire the library commissioner. She wanted all the commissioners in her town to resign as a sign of loyalty to her. I ask what loyalty do they have to the mayor? They are supposed to be serving the people of Wasilla? Like Bush she is refusing to have people testify in an investigation against her. If only Clinton had done the same with Ken Starr. She is supposed to be against earmarks but said during her election run that they were a great boon to Alaska. Alaska receives more earmarks per capita than any state in the country. She was supposedly against waste like the Bridge to Nowhere but was for it during her election. She states she said no thanks to the Bridge to Nowhere but in reality she took the money and put it into different projects.
I think in the end she ends up as a footnote like Dan Quayle. If she actually becomes President I can see her running roughshod over the Constitution just like Bush with his signing statements and legal opinions on torture.

Programmer
09-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I think he was being sarcastic and pointing out other previous spelling indiscretions.

I can't wait until he points out your ignorance indescretions.

banyon
09-20-2008, 06:54 PM

I think you meant "ignorant discretions".

Irony supreme.

banyon
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM

I corrected the spelling and not the grammar. I should've known better with Tom that I should check both. :clap:

Frankie
09-22-2008, 01:53 PM

:rolleyes:

Oh brother! He keeps asking for it!:shake:

vailpass
09-22-2008, 02:07 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Landing strip, hitler, natural, or smooth. This is the only question surrounding Palin that warrants attention, requires investigation and demands photographic evidence.

gblowfish
09-22-2008, 07:09 PM
LEAVE SARAH PALIN ALONE!!!!!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4W0OFlarVE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4W0OFlarVE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cannibal
09-22-2008, 07:35 PM
I really don't think the Dems are afraid of her anymore. I must admit, I was a little scared at the beginning with the way she seemed to rally the Right. But as time has gone by, she seems to be turning into more of a liability than an asset for McCain. She won't do any interviews because she's an empty vessel and people are starting to realize it.

NewChief
09-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I really don't think the Dems are afraid of her anymore. I must admit, I was a little scared at the beginning with the way she seemed to rally the Right. But as time has gone by, she seems to be turning into more of a liability than an asset for McCain. She won't do any interviews because she's an empty vessel and people are starting to realize it.

My step-father-in-law, who is a lobbyist, represents this shift perfectly. His first inclination was that McCain had sold out the party. That he'd made a pick based on political polling instead of policy. He was furious, railing against McCain angrily. Then, slowly, he got caught up in the Palin hype and decided that it was a good pick that was delivering the beatdown to Obama. Now, he's coming around to neutral territory and seeing it for what it was: a pick for VP with both positive and negatives. He's conceded, though, that his initial reaction was closer to the truth than his subsequent buy in to the cult of personality.

The funny thing is that I've maintained that position pretty much all along. It's humorous to me that I, evidently, understand politics better than a guy whose made his career out of it.

Cannibal
09-22-2008, 08:20 PM
My step-father-in-law, who is a lobbyist, represents this shift perfectly. His first inclination was that McCain had sold out the party. That he'd made a pick based on political polling instead of policy. He was furious, railing against McCain angrily. Then, slowly, he got caught up in the Palin hype and decided that it was a good pick that was delivering the beatdown to Obama. Now, he's coming around to neutral territory and seeing it for what it was: a pick for VP with both positive and negatives. He's conceded, though, that his initial reaction was closer to the truth than his subsequent buy in to the cult of personality.

The funny thing is that I've maintained that position pretty much all along. It's humorous to me that I, evidently, understand politics better than a guy whose made his career out of it.

His final opinion will be further reinforced when he gets a chance to see her in the debates in my opinion.

Cannibal
09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
By the way, the poll choices are really, really fuggin stupid.

Frankie
09-22-2008, 08:34 PM

The thin layer of a bubble shines pretty under light but holds a whole lot of nothing.