PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Skyfire

BWillie
09-20-2008, 06:19 PM
If you have a mobile phone that is internet capable you have to go to skyfire.com right now and download this browser. It blows opera out of the water. I am on my phone and I can view chiefsplanet perfectly, espn, youtube, dailymotion,....yeah everything works JUST LIKE A REAL COMPUTER. You don't even need to have flash. I guess some how it goes through a host computer so its not slow on your phone. its fast as hell and doersn't freeze my phone up and give me weird errors like opera did....give it a try.

aturnis
09-20-2008, 07:56 PM
where do you download it? I go to the main page and such, but no "download" button. Under products there is a option to "sign up", I dunno. Will it even support my phone? I have the Samsung Instinct. Thanks in advance.

BWillie
09-21-2008, 09:43 AM
hmmm....I dunno. I heard about it a month or so ago and it wasn't ready yet so I signed up and they sent me a text message with a link when it was ready

Fish
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
where do you download it? I go to the main page and such, but no "download" button. Under products there is a option to "sign up", I dunno. Will it even support my phone? I have the Samsung Instinct. Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure you have to sign up. The install is tied to your mobile phone number. When you sign up they ask for your number, and then text you the address to do the install.

Skyfire is indeed cool. It's not as fast as Opera, but since it host-based, it will run just about any internet media.

aturnis
09-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure it will work on the Samsung Instint though.

Fish
09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure it will work on the Samsung Instint though.

No it won't.

aturnis
09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
No it won't.

:cuss:

I hope someone gets crackin' on that.

Fish
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
:cuss:

I hope someone gets crackin' on that.

http://forums.buzzaboutwireless.com/baw/board/message?board.id=Samsung_Instinct&thread.id=15492

I wrote a letter to the Skyfire people, along with a ton of my friends and mom. took a while for them to get back too me but this is part of the letter they sent back to us.

THE ROAD AHEAD:
We are in the process of releasing the Symbian Beta in the U.S. Initially we will support the Symbian Series 60 3rd edition platform on Nokia N-Series and E-Series phones. Lastly, we have plans to introduce our product internationally. It’s just going to take us a little more time to get there.

• We are currently investigating support for Blackberry and UIQ, but it's not on our immediate roadmap.

• We would certainly investigate putting Skyfire on the iPhone or the Samsung Instinct when the timing is right.

I hope things go well and the timing is sooner then later for us Instinct owners.

NewChief
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
http://forums.buzzaboutwireless.com/baw/board/message?board.id=Samsung_Instinct&thread.id=15492

I don't know why you would want it on the iPhone. While I don't like safari that much for my computer browsing, it works fine for the iPhone and displays webpages as they should look.

Fish
09-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know why you would want it on the iPhone. While I don't like safari that much for my computer browsing, it works fine for the iPhone and displays webpages as they should look.

Agreed. I really like Skyfire, but I'd much prefer Safari to Skyfire if I had to choose.

Lzen
09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I have a Sony Erricsson W300i? Will it work for that?

aturnis
09-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I have a Sony Erricsson W300i? Will it work for that?

Ask KC Fish. He's a smorgasbord of knowledge!:D

Lzen
09-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Ask KC Fish. He's a smorgasbord of knowledge!:D

Fish?

I DL'd Opera Mini today. It's okay.

pr_capone
09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
mf it all

no palm support

Fish
09-25-2008, 01:42 AM
This is it so far........

• We support both touch-screen and non-touch screen Windows Mobile 5 or 6 devices with U.S. based phone numbers.
• We also support Symbian Series 60 3rd edition phones, specifically:
Nokia E61i, E61, N73, N75, N76, & N95

Lzen
09-25-2008, 08:56 AM
This is it so far........

• We support both touch-screen and non-touch screen Windows Mobile 5 or 6 devices with U.S. based phone numbers.
• We also support Symbian Series 60 3rd edition phones, specifically:
Nokia E61i, E61, N73, N75, N76, & N95

Yeah, I read that on their site. I wasn't sure what all that means. What's a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 device?

Fish
09-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I read that on their site. I wasn't sure what all that means. What's a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 device?

Many PDA/Smartphones run a mini-Windows OS called Windows Mobile. 5 and 6 are simply the build numbers, with 6.1 being the most recent.

I'm running Windows Mobile 6.1 on my HTC Touch. Windows Mobile allows for all sorts of software and configuration options. Including creating your own applications/themes/etc. It's a very flexible OS for your phone, and allows you to do all sorts of customization. It also plays very nicely with Exchange, which is very nice for business environments.

Here's a setup similar to what I'm running on my Touch. Which is a totally modified Windows Mobile 6.1. I'm running a combination of the following 2:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFFxNsKaLVE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9Jx_brSqfY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>