PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Samsung Instinct.

aturnis
09-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Anyone else get this phone yet? Got it the other day and LOVE it! After all the negatives I hear about the iPhone, I can't imagine it could be much better than the Instinct.

So far the only negatives I have are the Speaker isn't quite as good as I would like. It's alright, but could be better. Other than that I think all the downers are software related. As of this point in time, I can't run java plug-ins. I don't believe there is software for it as of yet. I would imagine that they will be working on the software to make up a bit more ground on the iPhone. The options with the camera could be better too, again, software.

If you have Sprint and have been thinking about upgrading. Do it! You won't regret it.

TRR
09-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Anyone else get this phone yet? Got it the other day and LOVE it! After all the negatives I hear about the iPhone, I can't imagine it could be much better than the Instinct.

So far the only negatives I have are the Speaker isn't quite as good as I would like. It's alright, but could be better. Other than that I think all the downers are software related. As of this point in time, I can't run java plug-ins. I don't believe there is software for it as of yet. I would imagine that they will be working on the software to make up a bit more ground on the iPhone. The options with the camera could be better too, again, software.

If you have Sprint and have been thinking about upgrading. Do it! You won't regret it.

Go to menu, settings, and general...Update the Software. There has been an update that solves problems including calendar, sound (echoing), pic mail, browser, TV/Radio, etc.

Most quality Sprint stores will do this for you, but some do not.

The Instinct is a fantastic product. I love the 3.5 jack on it, as well as the Visual Voicemail, and Speech to Action feature. The TV on it is ridiculous as well as the music. A good site to search for developing software updates is http://developer.sprint.com/instinct

Braincase
09-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Re-upping with Sprint this week... getting Touch Diamond & Touch Pro.

Gravedigger
09-20-2008, 11:14 PM
I have the original 8GB Iphone and I'v eloved it ever since I got it. It can't do video or multimedia messaging but with the new Iphones that came out I would've gotten one of them, the navigation on the Iphone, even the old google maps, is awesome. My sister bought the new iphone 3G and I played around with the faster speed and navigation and I was impressed by the improvements. Only problem is you can't insure the Iphone =/

irishjayhawk
09-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Re-upping with Sprint this week... getting Touch Diamond & Touch Pro.

I've heard very good things about those.

I've played with the iPhone and the Instinct and in my opinion the iPhone wins on almost every field.

Plus, I have a hard time trusting ANY Samsung phone. They aren't like their TVs.

Mr. Plow
09-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Question.....I'm kind of a phone junkie.....love new phones.....on the Instinct: I'm also a textererer.....How is the text messaging? Work ok? I like my keyboard....but may sacrifice it......messed with the Instinct at the Sprint store, looked pretty cool.

aturnis
09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
yeah, texting is good. full qwerty touchscreen keyboard, can turn it either horizontal or vertical on the screen or you can use a stylus and use the handwriting recognition software. Does what I need it to do.

aturnis
09-22-2008, 03:30 PM

I've played with the iPhone and the Instinct and in my opinion the iPhone wins on almost every field.

Plus, I have a hard time trusting ANY Samsung phone. They aren't like their TVs.

Dunno what you're talking about, I've read numerous reviews which have both phones neck and neck in almost every way except asthetics(iphone is pretty shiny, with that apple on it and all) and something else that was pretty lame. According to the reviewers though, the iphone was not superior in any real significant way.

NewChief
09-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Playing with my wife's iPhone, I just have to say that the thing is sheer awesome.

aturnis
09-23-2008, 03:08 PM
How much is the iPhone? and the AT&T service?

I guess what I'm kind of saying is that the $130 for the Instinct, and the $130/month simply everything plan (1500min. divided by 2 phones, plus unlimited 3G internet, text/pic messaging and everything else) is probably A LOT cheaper than what the iPhonian's are paying.

My girlfriend and I split the bill, so $65/month is a good deal for me on a sweet phone w/ ulimited 3G internet and everything else. No way in hell I pay any more than that until they do something else of a miraculous magnitude to make my life even easier and more convenient.

Pestilence
09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
How much did it cost for the Instinct?

I have a Palm Treo right now.......not really looking to upgrade but I may be looking in the future.

NewChief
09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
How much is the iPhone? and the AT&T service?

I guess what I'm kind of saying is that the $130 for the Instinct, and the $130/month simply everything plan (1500min. divided by 2 phones, plus unlimited 3G internet, text/pic messaging and everything else) is probably A LOT cheaper than what the iPhonian's are paying.

My girlfriend and I split the bill, so $65/month is a good deal for me on a sweet phone w/ ulimited 3G internet and everything else. No way in hell I pay any more than that until they do something else of a miraculous magnitude to make my life even easier and more convenient.

We were due an upgrade, but we're paying $30 a month data charge which we didn't have previously on our account. The phone itself was $200 for the 8gb with our upgrade. Other than that, our plan and bills stay the same.

irishjayhawk
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Dunno what you're talking about, I've read numerous reviews which have both phones neck and neck in almost every way except asthetics(iphone is pretty shiny, with that apple on it and all) and something else that was pretty lame. According to the reviewers though, the iphone was not superior in any real significant way.

Umm, well:

Larger screen
--Bigger Keyboard
Better browser
Videos are much easier and better to watch
Larger capacity
App Store
Accelerometer

aturnis
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Larger screen - iphones is a little wider, and a little shorter too, but for $130, I'm doing alright.
--Bigger Keyboard - no biggie.
Better browser - how so? The Instinct is 3G and is pretty much the same as the one on my computer(and not a whole lot slower), only downside is the java plugin capability. (I'm sure this will be a moot point before too long. software)
Videos are much easier and better to watch - how so?
Larger capacity - Cards are cheap if you look in the right places.
App Store - yeah so...sprint has one. It's just kind of like ps3 vs. xbox. iPhone's been around longer, bigger selection. PS3's still better though.:D
Accelerometer - What?

All the real "drawbacks" to the Instinct are software based, so they can and sooner or later will be fixed.

aturnis
09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
How much did it cost for the Instinct?

I have a Palm Treo right now.......not really looking to upgrade but I may be looking in the future.

With the plan $130. If your Treo is in good shape, they might let you trade it in, depending on how long you've had it.

irishjayhawk
09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Larger screen - iphones is a little wider, and a little shorter too, but for $130, I'm doing alright.

To say they're even remotely comparable in size is pretty laughable.

--Bigger Keyboard - no biggie.

I think that'd be a big concern for a lot of people.

Better browser - how so? The Instinct is 3G and is pretty much the same as the one on my computer(and not a whole lot slower), only downside is the java plugin capability. (I'm sure this will be a moot point before too long. software)

Faster. Multi-touch. Better rendering. (Bigger because of screen, easier to read etc)

Videos are much easier and better to watch - how so?

The screen is WAY bigger. I really am doubting you have seen them side by side. The Instinct is like the new iPod Nano's screen.

Larger capacity - Cards are cheap if you look in the right places.

No doubt. But we're talking about out of the box, here. (Removable storage, I concede)

App Store - yeah so...sprint has one. It's just kind of like ps3 vs. xbox. iPhone's been around longer, bigger selection. PS3's still better though.:D

I must have missed that. I haven't seen it anywhere.

Accelerometer - What?

What's your question here?

All the real "drawbacks" to the Instinct are software based, so they can and sooner or later will be fixed.

Other than the smaller screen and lack of an accelerometer.

Gravedigger
09-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Everyone keeps trying to come out with the Iphone killer and nobody has done it yet and it's the same reason that nobody really thinks of most of the time. The look of the Iphone, not only the exterior, but the interface is the best looking out of any of those phones out there.

I worked for Verizon for awhile when the Dare came out and everyone thought that one would be the Iphone killer! It had everything the Iphone had, plus the best camera you can get on a cell phone, removable memory/battery, same size for the most part as the Iphone, full touch screen, and something the Iphone has yet to have MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) which means no picture or video messaging. But the Iphone 3G buried the Dare in sales even after the Dare is on paper a better phone and is on a better network. Out of all the phones, The Voyager, The Dare, The Instinct, The Glyde, whatever you wanna throw out there, all the interfaces are black and red, or black and yellow, just terrible to look at. And all Apple had to do was release the same product with more memory, smaller price, better navigation, and 3G support and they still own the competition. It's the same thing why Mac's are kicking PC's ass in sales nowadays, Mac used to be a well known second option to the allmighty Bill Gates, but if you look at their Leopard OSX vs. Vista or XP you will see why people buy Mac's over PC's nowadays. Don't get me wrong Bill Gates is still swimming in the money with no possible end in sight for PC's but Apple is stealing customers away from him and now he finally comes out with cutesy commercials long after the Mac ones have been going on. I switched to Mac recently cause I do alot of Graphic Design and Web Design and Leopard OSX is such a nicer system to look at for a multitude of hours as compared with my Alienware PC.

KCFalcon59
10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Other than the smaller screen and lack of an accelerometer.

It also lacks WiFi.

VonneMarie
10-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Yeah and I'm not going to spend $500 big ones on it either.

jjjayb
10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
It's the same thing why Mac's are kicking PC's ass in sales nowadays, Mac used to be a well known second option to the allmighty Bill Gates, but if you look at their Leopard OSX vs. Vista or XP you will see why people buy Mac's over PC's nowadays.

Oh yes. What an ass kicking. Mac has what, a 3% share of computer business? Clearly they are kicking the crap out of pc's. :rolleyes:

Fish
10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh yes. What an ass kicking. Mac has what, a 3% share of computer business? Clearly they are kicking the crap out of pc's. :rolleyes:

You're a little bit off bub.... Over the last 2 years, Apple's growth is nearly double that of Dell, HP, Lenova, etc.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/01/analyst-apples-us-consumer-market-share-now-21-percent/

Analyst: Apple’s U.S. consumer market share now 21 percent

The iPhone gets the most press and the iPod sells in the largest quantities, but it’s the Macintosh that really drives Apple’s growth, says Gene Munster.
In the second installment of a multipart report on Apple’s “3 Cylinder Engine (http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/03/31/analyst-how-apple-sells-45-million-iphones-in-2009/),” Piper Jaffray’s chief Apple (AAPL (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=AAPL)) analyst looks at the Mac business over the next couple of years and likes what he sees. In particular:
Growth: After Apple introduced the Intel Macs, Mac sales grew 37% in 2007, more than double the industry-wide rate of 15%. Munster is modeling 2.0 to 2.1 million Macs for the March quarter (vs. the Street’s 1.95 million). He believes Apple will continue to outpace its competitors with upgraded iMacs and Mac minis in the next 3 months and redesigned MacBooks and MacBook Pros in time for the ‘08 education season.
Market Share: According to IDC, Apple’s worldwide market share grew from 2.4% in 2006 to 2.9% in 2007. (See chart below.) Munster is conservatively modeling global market share to remain flat this year, but he notes that enterprise sales account for 70% of the worldwide market, a segment Apple is not aggressively targeting. In the consumer market, where Apple does compete, he estimates the Mac’s share is now 10% worldwide and an impressive 21% in the U.S.
Sales Price: While Apple has gained market share over the past three years, it has also been able to resist the industry trend of decreasing sales prices. In fact, it actually increased its average sales price (ASP) by more than $150 from December ‘05 to December ‘07. “The combination of increasing ASPs and rising market share is evidence of a compelling product line,” writes Munster.And it's expected to double that by 2011.... http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/01/31.17.shtml

aturnis
10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
The interface is not ugly to look at, it's pretty damn pleasing to be honest.

True, no wi-fi. Doesn't bother me, I have unlimited data and only pay $65/mo.

I upgraded to the Instinct, only cost me $130, actually only $100 if you include the $30 credit I got for the phone I had.

irishjayhawk
10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
The interface is not ugly to look at, it's pretty damn pleasing to be honest.

True, no wi-fi. Doesn't bother me, I have unlimited data and only pay $65/mo.

I upgraded to the Instinct, only cost me $130, actually only $100 if you include the $30 credit I got for the phone I had.

The instinct's UI is pretty cluttered, honestly.

And that's fine if wifi doesn't bother you but you sold the phone as essentially the iPhone (possibly better) when it's clear that it isn't.

jjjayb
10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
You're a little bit off bub.... Over the last 2 years, Apple's growth is nearly double that of Dell, HP, Lenova, etc.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/01/analyst-apples-us-consumer-market-share-now-21-percent/

And it's expected to double that by 2011.... http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/01/31.17.shtml

Even still. I don't understand your math. Since when is 10% global market share, or even 21% US market share "kicking pc's ass"? 21% < 79% :doh!:
With your spin you should work for the Obama campaign.

irishjayhawk
10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Even still. I don't understand your math. Since when is 10% global market share, or even 21% US market share "kicking pc's ass"? 21% < 79% :doh!:

First of all, it's a misnomer.

Windows is not equal to PC but a PC can be Windows.

Windows and OSX are fundamentally different. Macs run on their own hardware and are fine tuned to such. Windows doesn't. They make all their money in licensing them to PC manufacturers. So, it's not quite a fair comparison.

If OSX were to be licensed (which won't happen), I'm confident that it would rip through the market. It could easily split it 50-50 if not further than that.

Nonetheless, with the substantial gains Apple has made in the last three years, it's safe to say that they are no longer a fringe competitor or a niche market.

Fish
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM

I never said anything about "kicking pc's ass". I simply corrected your %. Why are you so defensive on this subject?

And you're still looking at it incorrectly. "PC" consists of more than 1 computer manufacturer. Dell, HP, Acer, Lenova, etc. are all under that umbrella and each have their own %. Dell has the highest at 32%

aturnis
10-01-2008, 10:00 PM

:rolleyes:

irishjayhawk
10-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I never said anything about "kicking pc's ass". I simply corrected your %. Why are you so defensive on this subject?

And you're still looking at it incorrectly. "PC" consists of more than 1 computer manufacturer. Dell, HP, Acer, Lenova, etc. are all under that umbrella and each have their own %. Dell has the highest at 32%

He's mixing up PC vs Windows. Like I pointed out and you have touched on in a different way, it's not a good comparison.

jjjayb
10-03-2008, 07:09 AM

Sorry, it was Aturnis who said the Mac was kicking PC's ass. Didn't look at the username and thought you were him replying. :doh!: Not defensive. Just thought it was a dumb thing to say when Mac sales are nowhere close to PC sales.

morphius
10-03-2008, 08:57 AM
The funny thing is that MAC's are now really nothing but PC's, its not like Apple makes the hardware anymore.

Fish
10-03-2008, 09:34 AM
The funny thing is that MAC's are now really nothing but PC's, its not like Apple makes the hardware anymore.

Not completely true. They buy their HDs, RAM, some video cards, and optical drives from manufacturers just the same as PCs. But their logic boards, CPUs, video cards(except the Mac Pro), sound cards, wireless cards, IR sensor boards, bluetooth boards, power supplies, even fans are all manufactured specifically for Apple computers. I just replaced a logic board in a brand new iMac yesterday. Damn thing is shaped like a jigsaw puzzle.

irishjayhawk
10-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Sorry, it was Aturnis who said the Mac was kicking PC's ass. Didn't look at the username and thought you were him replying. :doh!: Not defensive. Just thought it was a dumb thing to say when Mac sales are nowhere close to PC sales.

It's still an absurd comparison.

aturnis
10-03-2008, 01:07 PM

No, I didn't. Don't know a thing about the epic battle of mac and pc's.

Pestilence
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
With the plan $130. If your Treo is in good shape, they might let you trade it in, depending on how long you've had it.

So my Treo took a shit today (for the 2nd time). I called in...complained and just got the Instinct for $30.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
I broke down and bought one. I loved my blackberry but this was the best move I've ever made. The Instinct is the coolest phone far and away I've ever seen. When Iphone can match the voice command GPS, they'll make a run. Until then, the Instinct trumps every phone on the market right now.

OnTheWarpath58
10-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm switching as soon as my T-Mobile contract is up in December.

Sucks that NFL Mobile will be worthless at that point, but oh well.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm switching as soon as my T-Mobile contract is up in December.

Sucks that NFL Mobile will be worthless at that point, but oh well.

I sit and watch NFL Mobile at work everyday. It's awesome. From what I hear the G Phone is supposed to be pretty bad ass. T Mobile exclusive.

aturnis
10-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Told ya so.

NewChief
10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I broke down and bought one. I loved my blackberry but this was the best move I've ever made. The Instinct is the coolest phone far and away I've ever seen. When Iphone can match the voice command GPS, they'll make a run. Until then, the Instinct trumps every phone on the market right now.

Just curious if you've also owned or played with an iPhone for any extended period? Just because I thought the same thing when my wife first got her iPhone. Hell, I still think that, but I haven't played with the Instinct. I have a hard time believing that it would top the iPhone, but I might be surprised.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Just curious if you've also owned or played with an iPhone for any extended period? Just because I thought the same thing when my wife first got her iPhone. Hell, I still think that, but I haven't played with the Instinct. I have a hard time believing that it would top the iPhone, but I might be surprised.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with it, but I've watched the videos for both before buying the Instinct. There really isn't a ton of differences, but the biggest one IMO is the push button voice activated GPS. Straight up push the button, go to search, pizza, or gas, or a specific company, and you get instant voice turn by turn directions to your destination. Iphone can't do it. That's really about it from what I've seen.

BWillie
10-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Now that I have skyfire browser....theres no point for me to ever get another phone. My mogul does everything I need it to, the battery just sucks

OnTheWarpath58
10-07-2008, 07:59 PM

I can't say it tops the iPhone, but the following are a HUGE selling points for me:

$100 cheaper than iPhone

Voice to action

NFL Mobile and Sprint TV

Better 3G network

Cheaper calling plan

Instinct comes with two batteries, easily changeable

Just to name a few.

NewChief
10-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to play with it, but I've watched the videos for both before buying the Instinct. There really isn't a ton of differences, but the biggest one IMO is the push button voice activated GPS. Straight up push the button, go to search, pizza, or gas, or a specific company, and you get instant voice turn by turn directions to your destination. Iphone can't do it. That's really about it from what I've seen.

I can do that with an app called Yelp on the iphone, though it's not voice directions. It might come with the next version of Yelp, though.

jjjayb
10-07-2008, 09:06 PM
The multitouch on the Iphone is phenomenal and the larger screen is a lot better than the screen on the instinct. The instinct does have some things going for it though.

Flopnuts, make sure you go into general settings and update your phone. The updates makes some great improvements. The best one is the improved web browser. With it you can hit the voice button to make the web full screen.

smittysbar
10-07-2008, 09:45 PM
So I shouldn't get a Razor

aturnis
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
So I shouldn't get a Razor

If you want to look like Zack Morris....I mean...PFFT!! OMG!

aturnis
10-07-2008, 09:59 PM
The multitouch on the Iphone is phenomenal and the larger screen is a lot better than the screen on the instinct. The instinct does have some things going for it though.

Flopnuts, make sure you go into general settings and update your phone. The updates makes some great improvements. The best one is the improved web browser. With it you can hit the voice button to make the web full screen.

First of all, what is multitouch good for? Second, what is this f-ing accelerometer?

irishjayhawk
10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I sit and watch NFL Mobile at work everyday. It's awesome. From what I hear the G Phone is supposed to be pretty bad ass. T Mobile exclusive.

G Phone's reviews haven't been stellar. Pretty much said that the iPhone 1 was a better first entry than this one. And it's pretty much the same price as the iPhone ($20 difference), which dissuaded me from it.

iPhone will have turn by turn navigation very soon, I expect. I played with the GPS in the sprint store and I thought it was exceptionally slow and in fact it even went over 100% when getting me directions. It actually showed 105%.

I guess it depends what you want. If you want a out of the box gps unit, as of now, you go with the Instinct. I think you'll see that change with the competing software once turn-by-turn hits the iPhone. If you want web browsing, iPhone wins hands down. If you want video watching or applications, iPhone wins hands down.

I can't say it tops the iPhone, but the following are a HUGE selling points for me:

$100 cheaper than iPhone

Voice to action

NFL Mobile and Sprint TV

Better 3G network

Cheaper calling plan

Just to name a few.

The $100 price difference is a little misleading. For example, the tech specs are much higher on the iPhone than the instinct, specifically capacity. It's kind of like comparing a $100 price difference between a Dell and an EMachines computer: The $100 isn't the whole story.

As for the better 3g service, that could be, but I contend that Sprints availability is worse than ATT. No joke. I still rate carriers thus:

Verizon>>>TMobile>>>>>>>>>ATT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sprint

But that's just me.

As for the cheaper calling plan, it was actually the revelation of some things at the store that persuaded my friend to go with the iPhone. The plan is as expensive or more so than the ATT plan. No joke. It's just comforting that you're getting "simply everything".

First of all, what is multitouch good for? Second, what is this f-ing accelerometer?

Clearly, you haven't used an iPhone nor know much about it.

Multitouch is all about UI. It's all about features and usability. I really don't understand how you can talk about the iPhone when you don't know what multitouch is good for or what the accelerometer is.

Speaking of, the accelerometer is the device that switches things between landscape and portrait mode. It also has a third access that allows most of the games to function. It's essentially like a gyroscope.

|Zach|
10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
I am excited to get an Instinct.

Pestilence
10-08-2008, 09:39 AM

$100 cheaper than iPhone

Voice to action

NFL Mobile and Sprint TV

Better 3G network

Cheaper calling plan

Just to name a few.

How long does the average battery last?

OnTheWarpath58
10-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Clarify.

Before needing to be recharged, or needing to be replaced altogether?

Regardless, the whole issue with the battery is that:

1) You have a spare in the event you can't get to a charger.

2) You can replace it yourself, without taking it in, and being without your phone.

Pestilence
10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Before needing to be recharged.

OnTheWarpath58
10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Before needing to be recharged.

I think the CNET test for both phones came in around 5-5.5 hours.

Could be mistaken, however, and am too lazy to look it up.

Pestilence
10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm assuming that's 5-5.5 hours of straight talk time.

That's cool. Miine should be here either today or tomorrow at the latest. I can't wait to play around with it.

OnTheWarpath58
10-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm assuming that's 5-5.5 hours of straight talk time.

That's cool. Miine should be here either today or tomorrow at the latest. I can't wait to play around with it.

Sweet.

Let us know what you think.

Matter of fact, I'm going to call T-Mobile and ask if they'll cut me some slack on my contract. I'm within 8 weeks of it terminating. The Sprint store near me has the Instinct down to $99. (Assuming that's Sprint-wide?)

Also, if you haven't already, read the reviews and watch some of the videos made by Sprint.

Funny about the reviews - I saw one where the biggest complaint was the browser, then the very next review did nothing but praise the browser.

Ultimately, there is no "best phone".

Just the "best phone" for YOUR needs.

Pestilence
10-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Sweet.

Matter of fact, I'm going to call T-Mobile and ask if they'll cut me some slack on my contract. I'm within 8 weeks of it terminating. The Sprint store near me has the Instinct down to $99. (Assuming that's Sprint-wide?)

I definitely will. I was really pleased with my Treo 755p but then the web browser took a complete shit on me twice in one week. I called Sprint and they told me to upgrade to a new phone. I complained to the supervisor and got the Instinct for $30. I figure if anything....I can sell my Treo to someone for like $100 because it's only 7 months old.

And your contract should be prorated....so if it's a 2 year contract at $200 then you should only owe like $20. I'd check and see.

OnTheWarpath58
10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I definitely will. I was really pleased with my Treo 755p but then the web browser took a complete shit on me twice in one week. I called Sprint and they told me to upgrade to a new phone. I complained to the supervisor and got the Instinct for $30. I figure if anything....I can sell my Treo to someone for like $100 because it's only 7 months old.

And your contract should be prorated....so if it's a 2 year contract at $200 then you should only owe like $20. I'd check and see.

Those motherfuckers.

Now I'm DEFINITELY changing to Sprint.

I've been a T-Mobile customer for as long as I can remember, and these MF'ers want to charge me the entire $200 fee if I cancel now, 8 weeks before my contract is up. No pro-rating.

Interestingly enough, they are more than willing to give me the best available upgrade price on a new phone, since I'm inside the last 2 months of my contract.

Jackoffs.

Pestilence
10-08-2008, 02:46 PM
The Sprint rate plans aren't all that bad either.

Their unlimited everything plans are:

450 minutes - $69.95
900 minutes - $89.95
Unlimited minutes - $100.00

aturnis
10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I am excited to get an Instinct.

YOU SHOULD BE!

irishjayhawk
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Those mother****ers.

Now I'm DEFINITELY changing to Sprint.

I've been a T-Mobile customer for as long as I can remember, and these MF'ers want to charge me the entire $200 fee if I cancel now, 8 weeks before my contract is up. No pro-rating.

Interestingly enough, they are more than willing to give me the best available upgrade price on a new phone, since I'm inside the last 2 months of my contract.

Jackoffs.

I don't believe any carrier prorates the cancellation fee.

aturnis
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
The Sprint rate plans aren't all that bad either.

Their unlimited everything plans are:

450 minutes - $69.95
900 minutes - $89.95
Unlimited minutes - $100.00

They're joint plans are good too. My girl and I pay $130/mo. for 2 phones unlimited everying, 1500 minutes.

We couldn't use all those minutes if we tryed.

split it up, and $65/mo. for me to have 750 minutes(to me, that's pretty much unlimited) and unlimited everything else. F-yeah.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-08-2008, 05:25 PM

5 or 6 hours in my experience. That's based on heavy use. Here's the cool thing though, it comes with an extra battery. Not cool enough? How about a case you can store that battery in and then plug in the wall to charge your extra battery? You never have to plug your phone in the wall at all.

Pestilence
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
5 or 6 hours in my experience. That's based on heavy use. Here's the cool thing though, it comes with an extra battery. Not cool enough? How about a case you can store that battery in and then plug in the wall to charge your extra battery? You never have to plug your phone in the wall at all.

That's fucking awesome. I still don't know why it took this long for a phone to do that.

jjjayb
10-08-2008, 06:01 PM

The best thing multitouch is good for it zooming in and out. You put your thumb and index finger on the screen. Pinch them in to zoom out and spread them out to zoom in. It is the best interface I've ever seen on a phone and I am an instinct user.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
That's fucking awesome. I still don't know why it took this long for a phone to do that.

Yeah, I expect now that Sprint has introduced it, it will spread like wild fire in the next couple of years. It takes cell phone convenience to an entirely different plane.

aturnis
10-08-2008, 08:08 PM
The best thing multitouch is good for it zooming in and out. You put your thumb and index finger on the screen. Pinch them in to zoom out and spread them out to zoom in. It is the best interface I've ever seen on a phone and I am an instinct user.

and this accelerometer I keep hearing about?

Mr. Flopnuts
10-08-2008, 08:18 PM

That's pretty bad ass. I'm pretty happy with the instinct though. Honestly, Sprint exceeded my expectations with it, and since I get a 27% discount off my monthly bill with them the choice was simple for me.

NewChief
10-09-2008, 05:28 AM

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/accelerometer.html

It also comes into play in quite a few of the apps and games on the iPhone. You "drive" in driving games, for instance, by holding the phone like a steering wheel and turning it one way or the other. Similar to the Wii controls.

Pneuma
10-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Is there a url that will allow me to see chiefsplanet forum on the Instinct? I can get to the site just fine but the forum is to wide and I have to scroll back and forth to read. Any suggestions?

Pestilence
10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Is there a url that will allow me to see chiefsplanet forum on the Instinct? I can get to the site just fine but the forum is to wide and I have to scroll back and forth to read. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure it's www.chiefsplanet.com/BB

Pneuma
10-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure it's www.chiefsplanet.com/BB

yeah that is the URL I am using...just wondering if there was something else I was missing...bummer.

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Do you not read?

Pestilence
10-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Sweet.

Also, if you haven't already, read the reviews and watch some of the videos made by Sprint.

Funny about the reviews - I saw one where the biggest complaint was the browser, then the very next review did nothing but praise the browser.

Ultimately, there is no "best phone".

Just the "best phone" for YOUR needs.

Just got it today....and so far I'm very pleased. I'm still getting used to everything but as of right now it's probably the best phone I've ever owned. Call quality is great. The web browser is a little ehhhh but that was the complaint from everyone so far....so I wasn't surprised by it.

All in all......I can't beat it for only $30.

aturnis
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Do you not read?

About things I don't have, or need? No, I'd rather not waste too much time.

irishjayhawk
10-09-2008, 06:01 PM
About things I don't have, or need? No, I'd rather not waste too much time.

I was referring to the fact that I told you exactly what they were up above and you either didn't see them or chose to ignore them.

aturnis
10-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I was referring to the fact that I told you exactly what they were up above and you either didn't see them or chose to ignore them.

Myughhh!

OnTheWarpath58
10-14-2008, 06:08 PM
So, now that those of you that have one have had it for a bit...

What do you think?

Pros?

Cons?

Smed1065
10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
I would be interested as well. I am thinking of get the Instinct because I have an unlimited (internet) plan for $17 a month with Sprint. The plan price is the main reason. The Instinct is 129.00 with my plan, no reups since it is part of an employee plan.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
So, now that those of you that have one have had it for a bit...

What do you think?

Pros?

Cons?

Well, I can't state enough just how entirely badass the voice activated turn by turn GPS is. It's beyond words fucking cool. The only con IMO is the web browser leaves something to be desired. You will positively need the stylus to properly surf the web. To me, as much as Sprint touts it's 3g network being better than att's (sic) it's not that fast. But that's always been the case and nothing new to Sprint customers.

Everytime I think I've mastered this phone I stumble on something new and thoroughly fucking awesome. Like today, I was fucking around with the live traffic maps, and found that it will break down trips by congestion as far as where it's at, and in some cases what the hold up is, and it will direct you around it if you wish. This phone is awesome.

My wife decided she just HAD to have one. Well I told her she would have to wait until I could find another one on craigslist for what I paid for mine. Last night some kid emailed me about my old blackberry on there for sale and asked if I was interested in a straight up trade for his Instinct. ORLY? My wife's happy, the kid is somehow happy, and my Mr. Happy is happy. Good day.

Pestilence
10-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, I can't state enough just how entirely badass the voice activated turn by turn GPS is. It's beyond words fucking cool. The only con IMO is the web browser leaves something to be desired. You will positively need the stylus to properly surf the web. To me, as much as Sprint touts it's 3g network being better than att's (sic) it's not that fast. But that's always been the case and nothing new to Sprint customers.

Everytime I think I've mastered this phone I stumble on something new and thoroughly fucking awesome. Like today, I was fucking around with the live traffic maps, and found that it will break down trips by congestion as far as where it's at, and in some cases what the hold up is, and it will direct you around it if you wish. This phone is awesome.

My wife decided she just HAD to have one. Well I told her she would have to wait until I could find another one on craigslist for what I paid for mine. Last night some kid emailed me about my old blackberry on there for sale and asked if I was interested in a straight up trade for his Instinct. ORLY? My wife's happy, the kid is somehow happy, and my Mr. Happy is happy. Good day.

Pretty much my thoughts. The web browser is ehhhhh but the turn by turn navigation is fucking amazing. I'm way happier with this then I ever was with my Treo.

aturnis
10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Used my turn by turn a few weeks ago. My sister was riding with me and said it was better than her Garmin or Tom-Tom or whatever. She said hers tells her to turn RIGHT at the intersection, with no forewarning. I like the way the Instinct will remind you a few times within a mile of the turn.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Pretty much my thoughts. The web browser is ehhhhh but the turn by turn navigation is fucking amazing. I'm way happier with this then I ever was with my Treo.

Ditto with my blackberry. FFS, go get this phone if you have Sprint. You positively won't regret it.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-15-2008, 06:08 PM

P.S - STAY AWAY FROM MY WIFE!!!!!

irishjayhawk
10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Used my turn by turn a few weeks ago. My sister was riding with me and said it was better than her Garmin or Tom-Tom or whatever. She said hers tells her to turn RIGHT at the intersection, with no forewarning. I like the way the Instinct will remind you a few times within a mile of the turn.

Man, if the Instinct was a woman.

smittysbar
10-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Got an Instinct yesterday. This phone is sweet! I have been messing around with it nonstop. Amazed at all the shit this thing can do.

I was going for the I Phone, but the coverage for AT&T sucks ass in my area. I was switching carriers also, from US Cellular, some have complained that the browser and the web was slow. This is lightning fast com paired to my last service. I also went from the Q to this......yeah the Q is a total POS.

Still figuring everything out, so far though, it rocks.

They also gave me an extra 50 bucks off for coming over from another carrier.

OnTheWarpath58
10-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Got an Instinct yesterday. This phone is sweet! I have been messing around with it nonstop. Amazed at all the shit this thing can do.

I was going for the I Phone, but the coverage for AT&T sucks ass in my area. I was switching carriers also, from US Cellular, some have complained that the browser and the web was slow. This is lightning fast com paired to my last service. I also went from the Q to this......yeah the Q is a total POS.

Did you have to ask, or did they just offer?

I'm planning on switching from T-Mobile, and an extra $50 would be nice...

smittysbar
10-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Did you have to ask, or did they just offer?

I'm planning on switching from T-Mobile, and an extra $50 would be nice...

She mentioned it when I was on the phone with her. When I showed up I reminded her. But she acted like they will do that for new customers.

irishjayhawk
10-23-2008, 06:11 PM

Yep, that's the main drawback with the iPhone. Having said that, Sprint isn't that much better (in general).

OnTheWarpath58
11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Just picked up an Instinct yesterday, and was given an extra $50 off like Smitty.

Looking forward to playing with NFL Mobile Live tonight and see how it works.

E-mail set up was a breeze.

So far, everything I thought it would be, and more. Really need to read up on what all this thing will do.

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Just picked up an Instinct yesterday, and was given an extra $50 off like Smitty.

Looking forward to playing with NFL Mobile Live tonight and see how it works.

E-mail set up was a breeze.

So far, everything I thought it would be, and more. Really need to read up on what all this thing will do.

Hell I am still figuring out stuff it does. I am a little disappointed in NFL Mobile though, it will probably get better.

xbarretx
11-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Hell I am still figuring out stuff it does. I am a little disappointed in NFL Mobile though, it will probably get better.

i like NFL mobile. especially when im stuck with my wife @#$@#$ shopping and i cant get home to watch the games! :cuss:

i also think i read that you can watch a game on your phone with it. im sure there was a memo somewhere about it but i cant remember.

smittysbar
11-06-2008, 08:20 PM
i like NFL mobile. especially when im stuck with my wife @#$@#$ shopping and i cant get home to watch the games! :cuss:

i also think i read that you can watch a game on your phone with it. im sure there was a memo somewhere about it but i cant remember.

Okay, I LOVE NFL Mobile now! You can watch the game live over the phone. Has about a 10 sec or so delay to the Sat.

I put a new battery in at the start of the game and it lasted about halfway through the 3rd quarter.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Yeah, that was cool last night. I got a text message yesterday saying tune in tonight on your phone for the Broncos vs. Browns. This phone is still filled with awesomeness.

xbarretx
11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Okay, I LOVE NFL Mobile now! You can watch the game live over the phone. Has about a 10 sec or so delay to the Sat.

I put a new battery in at the start of the game and it lasted about halfway through the 3rd quarter.

see, SPRINT can do good things :) no clue why KC hates us.. :doh!:

glad you liked it smitty :) :clap:

smittysbar
11-08-2008, 03:07 AM
see, SPRINT can do good things :) no clue why KC hates us.. :doh!:

glad you liked it smitty :) :clap:

Spint employs a ton of people, they ought to be thankful...:doh!:

Braincase
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I have the Touch Diamond, but I'm getting a Touch Pro as soon as I can get my hands on one. I like the Touch Diamond, but I want a keyboard & some expansion. Touch Diamond has good memory integrated (4 GB), but the Pro can take a micro SD card. 3.2 MP camera is pretty damned good. Love the integrated GPS.

jjjayb
11-19-2008, 06:01 PM
For anyone that has the Instinct, a new update came out today. Download the update. This will allow you to use the opera 4.2 beta for web browsing. It is 10x better than the browser that comes with the phone. To download opera 4.2 point the phones browser to www.operamini.com/beta

aturnis
11-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks, doing it now.

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Sweet.

Thanks for the heads-up.

smittysbar
11-19-2008, 09:49 PM
thanks

jjjayb
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Bump for anyone who missed this update. The next update will be on 12/4. It will allow you to view pdf files and excell files etc.

|Zach|
11-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I have had this for a few days now.

Absolutely love it.

Pestilence
12-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Anyone know if you can create your own ringtones for the Instinct?

Mr. Plow
12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Anyone know if you can create your own ringtones for the Instinct?

Are you saying you can't assign ring tones? Or just looking for a place to create your own.

Also.....all of you with the Instinct....have you had any problems with it? What do you not like about the phone? I've got the HTC Mogul....and to be short....I'm sick of it.

What likes/dislikes do you have about the phone? I like the look of the Instinct....so sell me on it or make me look elsewhere.

Pestilence
12-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Are you saying you can't assign ring tones? Or just looking for a place to create your own.

Also.....all of you with the Instinct....have you had any problems with it? What do you not like about the phone? I've got the HTC Mogul....and to be short....I'm sick of it.

What likes/dislikes do you have about the phone? I like the look of the Instinct....so sell me on it or make me look elsewhere.

No I can assign ringtones....but I don't want to pay $2.50 from Sprint for their crappy ass ringtones. With my Treo I could create my own and then upload them to my phone. I haven't figured out how to do that with the Instinct yet.

I'd read through this thread. Basically it's a great phone...the browser is a little ehhhh but the turn by turn navigation is fucking amazing.

aturnis
12-01-2008, 06:43 PM
go to www.myxer.com (http://www.myxer.com) all of their ringtones are free, and are text messaged to your phone. You can also upload songs from your comp. and take segments from them to create your own ringtone, for free.

Welcome to the 20th century.

jjjayb
12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Basically it's a great phone...the browser is a little ehhhh but the turn by turn navigation is ****ing amazing.

Download opera mini 4.2. It is way better than the built in browser. It actually makes the internet usable on this phone.

Pestilence
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Download opera mini 4.2. It is way better than the built in browser. It actually makes the internet usable on this phone.

I just downloaded it....and it's way better than the browser on the phone.

Mr. Plow
12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
go to www.myxer.com (http://www.myxer.com)

Exactly. That site kicks ass.

OnTheWarpath58
12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I just downloaded it....and it's way better than the browser on the phone.

I'm having trouble with it.

From the main page, when I try to enter a web address, I get a black screen with www. (nothing) and nothing on my touchscreen to type in an address.

jjjayb
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm having trouble with it.

From the main page, when I try to enter a web address, I get a black screen with www. (nothing) and nothing on my touchscreen to type in an address.

You need to install the latest update for your phone and it will fix this. On your phone go to the main tab - Settings - General - Update software.

smittysbar
12-02-2008, 12:46 PM
On the navigation, is there any way you can see where other friends are? I saw an iphone commercial last night and it had where you could locate other people.

smittysbar
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
www.instinct-samsung.com

good site, has several apps

jjjayb
12-03-2008, 02:44 AM
On the navigation, is there any way you can see where other friends are? I saw an iphone commercial last night and it had where you could locate other people.

That's a program called loopt. It came installed on my last sprint phone. I haven't tried downloading it on the instinct.

smittysbar
12-03-2008, 08:02 AM
That's a program called loopt. It came installed on my last sprint phone. I haven't tried downloading it on the instinct.

does it only work with other Sprint users?