PDA

View Full Version : Economics McCain and Obama on 60 Minutes

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
McCain says deregulation he endorsed in '99 helped the economy grow. Immediately before this he blamed corruption and access of the system, and calls it a ponzi scheme that sooner or later would collapse.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

How can you talk out of both sides of your mouth and not get called on this?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
McCain is talking about what he would cut (size of gov't has gone up 40% according to McCain under Bush): Alludes to cutting DoD but doesn't get specific, can't say anything else other than things could be cut.

HonestChieffan
09-21-2008, 06:42 PM
you actualy watch 60 Minutes?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
you actualy watch 60 Minutes?

And I own a Whitney Houston CD...more than one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM
On Palin's foreign policy and economic experience:

She's the most popular governor of the largest state...

But what about foreign affairs?

She cut taxes as governor.

:spock:

Direckshun
09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Keep reporting, please.

Friendo
09-21-2008, 06:51 PM
he did intimate that he would consider Cuomo on board--should be good to hear Andy's response on that oneROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Obama up

Had we had a regulatory system in place, it would have went a long way to containing this issue. That's why we have rules of the road. Unfortunately, instead of regulating the system we eliminated the rules for the new economy.

Economy hasn't worked for most Americans.

Diff btw Obama and McCain on this crisis:

I actually believe in this stuff. Gramm is his chief econ advisor who was behind this deregulation problem.

Paulson had no options left when asked if it was a good plan.

"Don't bail out shareholders or CEOs, do everything you can to protect taxpayers"

No doubt we are in a recession--Obama
Most people probably have believed that for many years
Hard to say if worst is over.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 06:57 PM
On how Palin changed the race:

"Skilled politician, unexpected, fascinating choice, gave McCain camp some energy, but people want to know what the policies are."

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Why would you be a good prez:

We need to look forward and not backwards, we are in a global economy--

Interviewer presses him--"why you?"

I'm a practical person, one of the things I'm good at is getting a lot of people in a room with differing ideas who are often violently disagreeing, and getting them to find common ground. I think that's something we haven't had for the last 8 years.

"How are you going to govern? You've never run anything."

First thing he'd do as Prez elect is talk to the Joint Chiefs and find a way out of Iraq and refocus on Afghanistan. Put together a working group and make an assessment of where the economy is and how to stabilize the housing sector

Put together an energy task force and a health care program.

"I know how to get things run, and get things done. It's not because I can give a good speech every once and a while."

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
"McCain camp is being deliberately misleading about their tax claims about me."

Is it a good time to raise taxes when the country is broke?

We are cutting taxes on people who are more likely to spend the money, give a boost and stimulus to the economy .

If we enact our health care agenda, we will cut corp tax loopholes, repeal the Bush tax cuts.

I can't get rid of the deficit in my first term b/c it is too big.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
All they have to talk about is the surge.

"According to the McCain mythology, the war started with the surge. They seem to forget they got everything wrong for the previous 5 years. John McCain has been consistently wrong on the surge, Iraqi PM and Bush have talked about timeframes, only McCain talks about reasons why we should stay."

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
On Afghanistan: will commit 7k more troops.

If Pakistan won't commit to attacking Al-Qaeda, then we will.

Nuclear Iran is a "game changer" and won't take any options off table to prevent them from that, but we need to keep all the arrows in our quiver to keep them from obtaining one.

That's pretty much it for the red meat.

tiptap
09-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I believe Obama said the Paulson hadn't any options that are good. Not that he had only one option.

Programmer
09-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Great post hammy.

Too bad all you can see is from the left side.

tiptap
09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
We got to see McCain's outside at his house in Arizona. He climbs a mountain when he is at home but doesn't appear to chop wood.

beer bacon
09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Did we get to see any of McCain's 13 cars?

Programmer
09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Did we get to see any of McCain's 13 cars?

Who cares about his cars? What does that have to do with anything?

Did they show any of Obama's Cadillacs?

***SPRAYER
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I didn't even watch it. I'm burned out on this sh%t. I'm looking forward to Friday night.

Ultra Peanut
09-21-2008, 08:22 PM
McCain says deregulation he endorsed in '99 helped the economy grow.lol

Logical
09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Great post hammy.

Too bad all you can see is from the left side.I missed something, seems like he was trying to provide a transcript not an editorial.

HonestChieffan
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
He failed.

Logical
09-21-2008, 09:12 PM
OMG I just heard the quote about selecting Andrew Cuomo, that bit of sucking up to the Democrats will fall on a major yawn by most Americans. Most won't know him and the ones who do will have a good belly laugh.

Logical
09-21-2008, 09:12 PM
He failed.Wrong

Edit: I was wrong Hamas was far too nice to McCain.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2008, 10:34 PM
OMG I just heard the quote about selecting Andrew Cuomo, that bit of sucking up to the Democrats will fall on a major yawn by most Americans. Most won't know him and the ones who do will have a good belly laugh.

IMO,

McCain doesn't really want him. He just got pressed on a question he wasn't expecting to have to answer, and that was the first name that popped in his head.

Mecca
09-22-2008, 01:52 AM
He failed.

It's Hamas fault that McCain answers questions that way?

patteeu
09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
On how Palin changed the race:

"Skilled politician, unexpected, fascinating choice, gave McCain camp some energy, but people want to know what the policies are."

The policies of a VP are the policies of his/her running mate. Here's Dick Cheney on the subject:

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue that our family is very familiar with. . . . With respect to the question of relationships, my general view is that freedom means freedom for everyone. People . . . ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."

"At this point . . . my own preference is as I've stated," Cheney said. "But the president makes basic policy for the administration. And he's made it." - Dick Cheney as reported by the Washington Post