PDA

View Full Version : General Politics All's fair in Love and war, but what about Politics.

bkkcoh
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Didn't see this posted,

Link (http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=75852)

A week after a high-profile send-up of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin on "Saturday Night Live," the NBC comedy show returned to making fun of the Alaskan governor in a skit where New York Times reporters sought to probe the possibility Palin's husband, Todd, was having sex with the couple's own daughters.

"What about the husband?" asked a Times reporter during a mock assignment meeting for the paper. "You know he's doing those daughters. I mean, come on. It's Alaska."

The assignment editor for the Times, portrayed by actor James Franco, responded: "He very well could be. Admittedly, there is no evidence of that, but on the other hand, there is no convincing evidence to the contrary. And these are just some of the lingering questions about Governor Palin."

The skit featured a photo of one reporter and an on-screen message that stated, "In 2009 [reporter] Howland Gwathmey Moss, V was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his Times series on unproven, yet un-disproven incest in the Palin family. Sadly, he was to die 3 months later, run over by a snow machine, driven by a polar bear."

The final shot showed an image of a New York Times page, with headlines that included:

"While No Direct Evidence of Incest in Palin Family Emerges, Counter Evidence Remains Agonizingly Elusive" and "In a Small Alaska Town, Doubts Still Linger."

The sketch seemed to be designed to mock how out of touch journalists from the Big Apple are when it comes to their knowledge of Alaska, with left-leaning, Manhattan-dwelling reporters mistaking a snowmobile for a "baptizing machine," a crucifix and a NordicTrack exerciser in photographs held up for them.

Some viewers expressed outrage.

"It is time the Palin family brought out the big guns. They need to sue General Electric, NBC, 'Saturday Night Live,'" said Al Barrs of Bascom, Fla. "This is clearly criminal and defamation of character of an entire family and state. All the above needs to be taken to their knees big time once and for all."

"What if somebody did one with this kind of humor on Obama and his daughters?" asked Jim Cash of Chattanooga, Tenn. "What an uproar there would be. This line of humor is tasteless and moronic and about as low as they could go. There simply must be an uproar over this. We cannot let this just pass."

But others, such as Ana Jimenez, believe the episode was all in good fun, since the program is a comedy show.

"Anyone that watched Saturday's show and believed the skit in which it was suggested that there was incest in the Palin household needs to have [his] head examined," said Jimenez. "The purpose of the joke (tacky and crude as it was, I did not care for it at all by the way) was to show how out of touch journalists are not an attack on the Palin household. Sheesh, get a grip!"

NBC's website for "Saturday Night Live" normally contains video clips of the show's comedy routines, but, interestingly, the clip of the incest sketch was never posted online.

The show opened with a brief skit making fun of truth-enhanced TV ads John McCain was approving for his campaign. One ad claimed that since Barack Obama was in favor of universal health care, that meant coverage for everyone in the entire universe, including terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden.

ROYC75
09-22-2008, 10:51 AM
This is getting out of hand, I would sue them.....

Mr. Kotter
09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I think it's over-the-top.

The only other thing I'm gonna say is, can you imagine the reaction if this had been a similarly distateful topic/skit about Obama? I think the reaction to that would be quite different from some libs on this board--from what I expect to be their reaction to this.

Amnorix
09-22-2008, 10:58 AM
While perhaps in bad (horrible?) taste, a libel suit is a non-starter. It's clearly a joke/parody what have you, and in that context you can say just about anything about a public figure.

mlyonsd
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Just like opening a thread from a poster you don't care for, you turn on NBC at your own risk.

Mr. Kotter
09-22-2008, 11:02 AM
While perhaps in bad (horrible?) taste, a libel suit is a non-starter. It's clearly a joke/parody what have you, and in that context you can say just about anything about a public figure.

Can you imagine the outcry if the parody/joke were about Obama? Seriously. :hmmm:

dirk digler
09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I watched it and I took it as mocking the journalists for these stupid stories not mocking Palin

The sketch seemed to be designed to mock how out of touch journalists from the Big Apple are when it comes to their knowledge of Alaska, with left-leaning, Manhattan-dwelling reporters mistaking a snowmobile for a "baptizing machine," a crucifix and a NordicTrack exerciser in photographs held up for them.

tiptap
09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Uhh let's see we had the New Yorkers cover about Obama's being Muslim and we had some out cries about it but you know it doesn't rise to having your lollipop licked in the White House. And as such the sex innuendos are always going to have a bigger entertainment value.

Mr. Kotter
09-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Uhh let's see we had the New Yorkers cover about Obama's being Muslim and we had some out cries about it but you know it doesn't rise to having your lollipop licked in the White House. And as such the sex innuendos are always going to have a bigger entertainment value.

As cynical and jaded as I am sometimes, when I see the Bush-haters march out with their hyperbole and venom....I think the world would be a much better place if those folks were getting THEIR lollipops licked, because they've damn sure given him much more power than any President should have.

tiptap
09-22-2008, 11:18 AM
And that was on the Republican watch. The Democrats haven't been aggressive since they got the Congress. But that requires you have confidence you have the political capital to go after the Executive branch and that it isn't better spent at this time solving the existing problems. You tell me which is more important if the Executive Branch can be replaced altogether with someone of a different philosophy. Is that not more expedient.

tiptap
09-22-2008, 11:19 AM
And in the political season you don't hold punches that might actually land on your opponent.

WilliamTheIrish
09-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Quit crying. You ain't in Vagsilla, Alaska any more.

bkkcoh
09-22-2008, 11:43 AM

But does one become a public figure because spouse becomes a VP candidate? Shouldn't the children of the candidates be off-limits regardless? I remember the shitstorm that occured when Rush made comments about Chelsea.

But the difference in Obama is the fact that he was a Muslim at one time and he is running for office, so everything about him is subject to scrutiny. Even if there was cause for serious investigation, Mr. Palin still isn't the VP candidate. It would still make news, but not near as much as he was being investigated and he was the VP candidate.

I watched it and I took it as mocking the journalists for these stupid stories not mocking Palin
I thought with the exception of the incest charge, it was totally poking fun at the NY media and the majority of the MSM. But I still think that the incest charge/speculation was out of line.

And in the political season you don't hold punches that might actually land on your opponent.
But Mr Palin isn't the candidate, there is a difference on going after business associates of the candidates, because that has relevance. If Mr Palin was a spokesman for the campaign like Michelle Obama is, that is a different story. I have yet to see him give a speech on the campaign trail.

Friendo
09-22-2008, 11:59 AM

didn't see it, but my take would be it's likely that was the intent.

StcChief
09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
always pushing the envelope SNL has and will do whatever it wants right up to the FCC line... 10:30pm on Sat nite, kids in bed.

tiptap
09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Let me just say when I went to a Baptist College, I had a course in Islamic Studies. It met some comparative religion requirement. But during this class, taught by a Christian Jordan, we got to say, in Arabic "There is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet" three times. I am Muslim fellows. It is as easy as walking down to the front of the Church when I was 9. And then I was Christian.

What I have chosen for myself as an adult and after my education are my real choices. It is my choices that define me. And Obama's was Christianity. Maybe not your denomination, but Christian none the less.

Iowanian
09-22-2008, 01:54 PM
I think politicians are fair game, and I encourage comedic entertainment.

I think jokes about incest are probably over the top and undeserved.

What will it be next week.....a skit making fun of her retarded child? maybe some real tomfoolery with her holding the infant to the window of the whaddaburger to teach him to lick it? Would a skit about the child with down syndrome be funny too?

Its probably not off limits, but its beyond poor taste.

SNL should have stuck with Palin speeches about ice fishing.

Garcia Bronco
09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Well according to some here Comedy is news. SNL is a low-class show and it has been for many years. Making a statement like that is as low as it gets and I feel sorry for them.

tiptap
09-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I like the Free Levi campaign. Palin jr's fiancee is a political prisoner. That drinking, skull smoking pot head was kidnapped and brought before cameras to shake hands with the leader of the Party. I support financing him getting out of Alaska and going to California where he can be free not to have to marry.

Mr. Kotter
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I like the Free Levi campaign. Palin jr's fiancee is a political prisoner. That drinking, skull smoking pot head was kidnapped and brought before cameras to shake hands with the leader of the Party. I support financing him getting out of Alaska and going to California where he can be free not to have to marry.

Wow. :spock:

I guess I missed this report too. :hmmm:

FWIW, this thing seems to be provoking a pretty strong reaction. I'm not saying it should be, but this could be another nail in SNL's coffin.

Reaper16
09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Oh, **** me. Do people really not get the context and intent of this skit? If anything, it was a defense of Sarah Palin against the media's treatment of her. Why are people so ****ing stupid; nobody understands anything anymore.

Also, why am I surprised?

patteeu
09-22-2008, 06:23 PM
It's tasteless, but there shouldn't be a law against it. Can you imagine the outcry if they did a skit based on Obama's family that either involved incest with his two girls or a disparaging stereotype about black people?

Reaper16
09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
It's tasteless, but there shouldn't be a law against it. Can you imagine the outcry if they did a skit based on Obama's family that either involved incest with his two girls or a disparaging stereotype about black people?
It'd depend on the skit. This skit was attempting to show how out-of-touch many journalists are with Alaskan culture; one of the ways this being out-of-touch is portrayed is by a reporter assuming that Alaskans practice incestuous relations. The reporter is quite clearly an imbicile, and the audience is meant to laugh at his incompetence and ignorance.

For those not able to follow the skit, it means that there was no actual assertion being made that Mr. Palin committed incest outside of a can't-be-taken-seriously line from a dumb character.

So, to answer your question, it'd depend on the context of the skit. Sure, I think there'd be outcry regardless, from people who can't understand humor. But deserved outcry?

patteeu
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
It'd depend on the skit. This skit was attempting to show how out-of-touch many journalists are with Alaskan culture; one of the ways this being out-of-touch is portrayed is by a reporter assuming that Alaskans practice incestuous relations. The reporter is quite clearly an imbicile, and the audience is meant to laugh at his incompetence and ignorance.

For those not able to follow the skit, it means that there was no actual assertion being made that Mr. Palin committed incest outside of a can't-be-taken-seriously line from a dumb character.

So, to answer your question, it'd depend on the context of the skit. Sure, I think there'd be outcry regardless, from people who can't understand humor. But deserved outcry?

I heard the skit and I know what you're talking about, but IMO it's still tasteless subject matter and they could have achieved the same goal with some other crazy "allegation".

Reaper16
09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I heard the skit and I know what you're talking about, but IMO it's still tasteless subject matter.
I agree sort of; there was no compelling reason to use incest vs numerous other subjects. It's not really funny or clever anyway.

memyselfI
09-22-2008, 07:22 PM
NBC is in the tank for NObama and something like this is just further proof, IMO.

HolmeZz
09-22-2008, 07:30 PM
It's comedy. It's why nobody gets upset when Stephen Colbert calls Obama a secret muslim 3 times a show.

bkkcoh
09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
It's comedy. It's why nobody gets upset when Stephen Colbert calls Obama a secret muslim 3 times a show.

To me, the main difference to me the fact that Obama is the candidate, Mr Palin isn't, niether is the Palin's daughter. The children of both candidates should be off liimits.

The candidates themselves subject themselves to the scrutiny of the press, the spouses do also, if they are stumping for the candidates.

Reaper16
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
NBC is in the tank for NObama and something like this is just further proof, IMO.
You're a ****ing idiot.

Iowanian
09-22-2008, 11:18 PM
I can't wait until SNL brings back an old skit and features Obama as "mr peepers".....maybe Michelle and the girls in an episode of Appalachian ER.

Some Curious George might be fun...maybe Obamuckwheat.

Vote fo Obama. in O'Teight

Lefties would think that was just highlarrytee.

Programmer
09-22-2008, 11:21 PM

So, is Obama a secret muslim? Prove that he is / isn't.

Reaper16
09-23-2008, 12:01 AM
So, is Obama a secret muslim? Prove that he is / isn't.
Holy shit.

It's that sort of line of reasoning that the skit in question was making fun of in the first place. The entire point of the skit was to criticize journalists making "prove that she is/isn't" claims about Palin.

This is the height of irony.

Reaper16
09-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I can't wait until SNL brings back an old skit and features Obama as "mr peepers".....maybe Michelle and the girls in an episode of Appalachian ER.

In case you missed the explnations: the skit in question did not make fun of/accuse the Palin family of incestuous relations.

Unless the kinds of skits you're talking about were meant to criticize skit writers, then you're comparing apples to oranges.

Ultra Peanut
09-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Oh, **** me. Do people really not get the context and intent of this skit? If anything, it was a defense of Sarah Palin against the media's treatment of her. Why are people so ****ing stupid; nobody understands anything anymore.

Also, why am I surprised?It's easy to be offended when you're actively trying to be.

Logical
09-23-2008, 02:44 AM

Strange you should vote NO if you feel that way. Did you not read the poll question

"NO" posters as of 12:47 Pacific time
Brock (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=190), clemensol (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=9664), CRONUS (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=42), Iowanian (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=2383), KILLER_CLOWN (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=1207), Reaper16 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=5070), Ultra Peanut (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=699), Velvet_Jones (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=2355)

Mecca
09-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Nothing is off limits, people just need to relax and realize when something is intended to be a joke by you know what show you are watching.

If this offends you I could imagine how worked up you'd get watching a Carlin routine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2008, 03:55 AM
Wow. :spock:

I guess I missed this report too. :hmmm:

FWIW, this thing seems to be provoking a pretty strong reaction. I'm not saying it should be, but this could be another nail in SNL's coffin.

Jesus Tits, Kotter. A nail in SNL's coffin? ROFL...This is only going to increase their ratings.

"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand."

patteeu
09-23-2008, 07:02 AM
I agree sort of; there was no compelling reason to use incest vs numerous other subjects. It's not really funny or clever anyway.

I think we're pretty much in agreement. I'm not completely outraged by the use of the incest angle, I just think they could have done the same skit without raising the idea of the Palin daughters being involved in that kind of thing in any way. Maybe they could have done something about Mr. Palin and home grown marijuana (which, iirc, was or is decriminalized in Alaska) instead. :toast:

patteeu
09-23-2008, 07:04 AM

It would be funny if Colbert joked about a far right press outfit pushing a story about Obama's daughters liking anal sex, wouldn't it? Probably not.

memyselfI
09-23-2008, 07:19 AM
In case you missed the explnations: the skit in question did not make fun of/accuse the Palin family of incestuous relations.

Unless the kinds of skits you're talking about were meant to criticize skit writers, then you're comparing apples to oranges.

As a woman, I find it insulting.

As a parent, I find it insulting.

As a person who knows someone whose life was destroyed by incest, I find it insulting.

As a person who loves teetering on the brink of bad taste regarding comedy, I find it insulting.

As someone who previously posted (very day Bristol Palin's pregnancy was announced) that the LW would be suggesting this innuendo, I find this insulting.

Somehow, I KNEW the Left just could not resist the temptation to do this. But never did I imagine it on THIS scale. Their lack of restraint in situations like this will backfire big time, IMO.

There are two young women and a father involved here. The mother and the father are fair game (so to speak) but the children are not. But for some reason the Left (whom I'm becoming increasingly distressed being associated with) find this innuendo to be perfectly acceptable because they offer it as a 'joke.' We all know it's more than that. They know it's likely not true but isn't it funny to get the notion out there...

just in case.

Mecca
09-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Oh for christ sake lighten up.

memyselfI
09-23-2008, 07:27 AM
It would be funny if Colbert joked about a far right press outfit pushing a story about Obama's daughters liking anal sex, wouldn't it? Probably not.

To use the same logic, I guess we should all be ROFLROFLROFL if SNL decides to do a noose skit with NObama's daughters.

Afterall, it would only imply racism but not directly suggest it as it was black men who primarily were victims of such barbery. :doh!:

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2008, 07:27 AM
As a woman, I find it insulting.

As a parent, I find it insulting.

As a person who knows someone whose life was destroyed by incest, I find it insulting.

As a person who loves teetering on the brink of bad taste regarding comedy, I find it insulting.

As someone who previously suggested that the LW would be suggesting this innuendo the very day Bristol Palin's pregnancy was announced, I find this insulting.

Somehow, I KNEW the Left just could not resist the temptation to do this. But never did I imagine it on THIS scale. Their lack of restraint in situations like this will backfire big time, IMO.

There are two young women and a father involved here. The mother and the father are fair game (so to speak) but the children are not. But for some reason the Left (whom I'm becoming increasingly distressed being associated with) find this innuendo to be perfectly acceptable because they offer it as a 'joke.' We all know it's more than that. They know it's likely not true but isn't it funny to get the notion out there...

just in case.

Funny thing...

Your faux outrage over stupid and inconsequential shit like this only retards the women's movement.

Iowanian
09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Strange you should vote NO if you feel that way. Did you not read the poll question

"NO" posters as of 12:47 Pacific time

I think you're missing my point...I must not have expressed it clearly.

I voted "no" on purpose. I think its in bad taste to use a candidates' family in an incest skit, but they have the right to do it.

Reaper was correct in that my comments had as much to do about the writers-producers who do that stuff. I just wonder if they'd go as "far" on the other side, which is where my suggested skits come from.

I wonder if the same people, who think this was acceptable, would think so with the above listed skits on SNL?

penchief
09-23-2008, 09:37 AM
It strikes me as the same kind of parody that that the New Yorker was trying to accomplish with it's cover of Barack and Michelle as radical black muslims. The target was media sensationalism but the execution only fed into the dishonesty of the smears. I think both were in bad taste and someone should have exercised better judgment before deciding to run with them.

That said, their is nothing unethical about bad taste or poor judgment when trying to make a joke.

Reaper16
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I wonder if the same people, who think this was acceptable, would think so with the above listed skits on SNL?
I would be fine with it, personally, as long as the skit was clearly designed to be parodying skit writers. That would give the absurdity a context.

If the skit were merely skin-deep; actually asserting terrible things about Obama, then it would have zero worth. Just like a skit that depicts the Palin family as incestuous would have zero worth. This debated SNL skit does not depict the Palin family as such.