PDA

View Full Version : Elections Maybe this is just me, but does anyone else think this?

Mecca
09-23-2008, 03:11 AM
I've came to the conclusion that anyone who votes for John McCain/Sarah Palin solely deserves exactly what they get for the next four years. Its unfortunate, however, that everyone else has to get dragged down with them.

I've said this before but I think most pro lifers and values voters get duped into voting republican. It was a republican who pioneered roe vs wade, its a mostly republican appointed supreme court that uphold roe vs wade and after six years of having the white house, the senate and congress, they never did a thing about abortion (including that much talked about amendment to the constitution). Overturning toe vs wade is political suicide and I think John McCain, and even Sarah Palin, are smart enough to know that. Gay marriage hasn't been banned either and science is still being taught in classrooms.

So, basically, you've got all value voters flocking to a ticket that has no intention of ever actually carrying out their promises. John McCain is already saying there's no litmus test in regards to abortion for the supreme court. Which to me, is setting himself up to appoint another O'Day or Kennedy and then swear blind to the evangelicals 'well...he seemed like he was willing to overturn it... I was tricked!" Which is basically what Reagan did after people got pissed about the O'Day pick. I'm convinced the GOP have never wanted to over turn roe vs wade, or that they regard the Christian right as anything other than 'useful idiots'.

Guru
09-23-2008, 03:14 AM
The best thing for this country would be for everybody to vote for nobody this time around.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2008, 03:53 AM
I think you are both right and wrong. In terms of "you reap what you sow", you are correct. At the same time, I tend to agree with Noam Chomsky when he asserts that most people really can't be held responsible for the political decisions that they make because they've been indoctrinated so thoroughly, from their formative years on up, that they simply accept what is told to them by the power quo (media, politicians, etc.) because they are conditioned to be obedient, and not rock the boat.

You basically have a giant swath of propaganda in a democracy that functions the same way as coercive force does in a totalitarian system. It is a form of control meant to get a desired outcome. The methods are simply different. Rather than motivating someone to do something by the butt of a rifle, or the point of a bullet, you convince them to do what you want through an elaborate system of control that removes critical thinking and engenders deference.

patteeu
09-23-2008, 06:41 AM
In terms of the value vote, I think the best they can hope for from a McCain presidency is to hold the status quo on issues like abortion and gay marriage. I think there's a very real chance that McCain would appoint more of a centrist to the court than those voters (and I) would be happy with, BUT... an Obama presidency would be a huge setback to these voters. With a Senate in dem hands, Obama wouldn't face much opposition to appointments in the Breyer/Ginsberg mold and that could lock in the liberal wing of the court for years to come just when the court was on the verge of tipping to the right from it's current stalemate. So despite McCain's lack of conviction, there's still a lot at stake for these voters.

In addition to values voters though, McCain is attractive to national defense voters and anti-Marxist voters as well so it's a mistake to believe that the only people supporting him are holy rollers. I, for example, don't care much about the abortion issue and I'm in favor of gay marriage, but I'll be voting for McCain this time around even though I've never been much of a fan of his.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2008, 06:47 AM
In terms of the value vote, I think the best they can hope for from a McCain presidency is to hold the status quo on issues like abortion and gay marriage. I think there's a very real chance that McCain would appoint more of a centrist to the court than those voters (and I) would be happy with, BUT... an Obama presidency would be a huge setback to these voters. With a Senate in dem hands, Obama wouldn't face much opposition to appointments in the Breyer/Ginsberg mold and that could lock in the liberal wing of the court for years to come just when the court was on the verge of tipping to the right from it's current stalemate. So despite McCain's lack of conviction, there's still a lot at stake for these voters.

In addition to values voters though, McCain is attractive to national defense voters and anti-Marxist voters as well so it's a mistake to believe that the only people supporting him are holy rollers. I, for example, don't care much about the abortion issue and I'm in favor of gay marriage, but I'll be voting for McCain this time around even though I've never been much of a fan of his.

Anti-Marxist...it's not 1953.

Sorry to hear that your main reason for voting is that you wish to pack the court with conservative ideologues. That really seems to be in concordance with the original framework of the Constitution.

Don't like what it says? Appoint some ass who'll change it.

patteeu
09-23-2008, 07:04 AM

Right, now it's "community organizer" not "Marxist". My bad. ;)

StcChief
09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
let error on the side of conservative.... we see where the libs have taken us since 1970

BigChiefFan
09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Voting the party line is dumbassery to the tenth degree.

InChiefsHell
09-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Sorry to hear that your main reason for voting is that you wish to pack the court with conservative ideologues. That really seems to be in concordance with the original framework of the Constitution.

Don't like what it says? Appoint some ass who'll change it.

HAH! That's exactly what happened in Roe vs. Wade...I guess it DOES depend on your POV...

...you really do think libs are perfect and the democrats never fug up, don't you? Don't get me wrong, I admire an ideologue...especially one who points at the other side and calls them mindless...ideologues...:clap:

oldandslow
09-23-2008, 08:14 AM
let error on the side of conservative.... we see where the libs have taken us since 1970

WHAT?????

1970 -74 Nixon
1974 -76 Ford

1976 -1980 - Carter

1980 - 1988 - Reagan
1988 - 1992 - Bush

1992 - 2000 - Clinton

2000-2008 - Bush Jr.

26 years of repub administrations and 12 years of dem administrations since 1970....

Yeah, the libs got us here all right.

HonestChieffan
09-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Like it or not the democrats have sent us the most frightening combo thay could have come up with. The future under an Obama Biden admin with Pelosi and Reid in place is far far over the top and very dangerous.

BigChiefFan
09-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Like it or not the democrats have sent us the most frightening combo thay could have come up with. The future under an Obama Biden admin with Pelosi and Reid in place is far far over the top and very dangerous.Live in denial much?

oldandslow
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Like it or not the democrats have sent us the most frightening combo thay could have come up with. The future under an Obama Biden admin with Pelosi and Reid in place is far far over the top and very dangerous.

Any more dangerous than where we are right now??? 700 million dollar bail out so we don't end up in a Great Depression II??

Brought to you by Bushco and 6 years of repub congress.

HonestChieffan
09-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Far far more dangerous.

BigChiefFan
09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Far far more dangerous. Yes, a healthy economy is far more dangerous, isn't it?