PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Anti Obama Shirts Banned in Colorado School

BigCatDaddy
09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
You have to love this kids dad! :)

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/23/fifth-grader-suspended-for-wearing-anti-obama-shirt/

An 11-year-old boy in Colorado was suspended from school after he refused to take off a shirt that read, “Obama is a terrorist’s best friend.” His father says that the school is violating his son’s First Amendment rights.

Daxx Dalton, a fifth grader at Aurora Frontier K-8 School in Aurora, Colo., wore the homemade shirt on a day when students were asked to show their patriotism by wearing red, white and blue, according to MyFOXColorado.com.

When he was given the choice of turning the shirt inside out or being suspended, Dalton chose suspension.

“They’re taking away my right of freedom of speech,” he said. “If I have the right to wear this shirt I’m going to use it. And if the only way to use it is get suspended, then I’m going to get suspended.”

Dann Dalton, the boy’s father — a “proud conservative” who has taken part in anti-abortion protests — told MyFOXColorado.com that the school is making a mistake by suspending his son.

“It’s the public school system,” he said. “Let’s be honest, it’s full of liberal loons.”

The school district would not discuss the case, but said the district “respects a student’s right to free speech, such as the right to wear specific clothing,” but they reserve the right to review any situation that interrupts the learning environment, MyFOXColorado.com reported.

Dalton’s suspension was for willful disobedience and defiance, not for wearing the shirt. His father said he intends to sue the district.

HonestChieffan
09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
They will have to let him wear it, ACLU will denfend that one no doubt

patteeu
09-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I have 3 comments:

1. I think the school is being reasonable by refusing to allow this type of disruptive clothing.

2. LMAO @ "'It’s the public school system,' he said. 'Let’s be honest, it’s full of liberal loons.'”

3. Father shouldn't sue.

Goapics1
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
It should read “McCain is a terrorist’s best friend.”

gblowfish
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Just let Daxx express his political views in the voting booth in November....
Hey, wait a minute...

RJ
09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Personally, I wouldn't send my 11 year old child off to school wearing a t-shirt bearing a political message of any sort. That's just not appropriate for school and particularly on a day when students were being asked to show their patriotism. Sounds like dad was deliberatley being a douche, too bad for the kid.

Pitt Gorilla
09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
We weren't allowed to wear Big Johnson shirts at our HS. I don't recall anyone doing a story on our "rights to free speech."

BigCatDaddy
09-23-2008, 11:27 AM
We weren't allowed to wear Big Johnson shirts at our HS. I don't recall anyone doing a story on our "rights to free speech."

I think they generally frown on shirts referring to the size of one's penis.

NewChief
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Personally, I wouldn't send my 11 year old child off to school wearing a t-shirt bearing a political message of any sort. That's just not appropriate for school and particularly on a day when students were being asked to show their patriotism. Sounds like dad was deliberatley being a douche, too bad for the kid.

Yeah. Using your kid as a political yard sign is real freaking classy. WTG DAD!

patteeu
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM

I agree.

Carlota69
09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Remember the "sex Wax" T-shirts? Was it Zoggs (I :bong: too much in HS)? We used to have to turn them inside out.

On another note--No, you dont have to love this dad. It's totally classless.

Stinger
09-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Remember the "sex Wax" T-shirts? Was it Zoggs (I :bong: too much in HS)? We used to have to turn them inside out.

On another note--No, you dont have to love this dad. It's totally classless.

Mr. Zog's Sex Wax "The best for your stick"

ROFL Forgot about those shirts.

SNR
09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
If Bootlegged is suspended, I wonder how many threads he'll be able to start in a day now that he doesn't have to worry about school

NewChief
09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
They will have to let him wear it, ACLU will denfend that one no doubt

Tinker vs. Board basically rules in this instance. It allows students freedom of expression, as long as that expression doesn't present a disruption to the learning environment. That "disruption" clause gives school administrators a whole heck of a lot of wiggle room.

Warrior5
09-23-2008, 11:40 AM
The dad is a dumbass.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
while I don't agree with the message I defend the kids right to experssion. Anybody that argues otherwise is FOS and anti-1st Amendment to suit their own ends. Your kind is the worst sort.

NewChief
09-23-2008, 11:52 AM
while I don't agree with the message I defend the kids right to experssion. Anybody that argues otherwise is FOS and anti-1st Amendment to suit their own ends. Your kind is the worst sort.

The supreme court is anti-1st, then.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
The supreme court is anti-1st, then.

The Supreme Court has a number of issues. Start a thread. But the idea that this kid did something wrong in stating his opinion is bunch of garbage. You or anyone may not like the message, but if you are an Amercian you have to support his right to express it.

NewChief
09-23-2008, 11:56 AM
The Supreme Court has a number of issues. Start a thread. But the idea that this kid did something wrong in stating his opinion is bunch of garbage. You or anyone may not like the message, but if you are an Amercian you have to support his right to express it.

The kid didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't be suspended, but the law of the land is that students in schools don't have absolute freedom of expression. Any freedom of expression that presents a disruption to the learning environment can be limited. That's the ruling of Tinker v. Des Moines.

I don't necessarily like it, but that's the law.

PRIEST
09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Someone should pull pop's Gene card.:doh!:

Alton deFlat
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Not only is the kid's dad a dumbass for allowing his son to wear the t-shirt to school, but he's also a cheapass for using one his own shirts for his handy artwork.

http://www.scoopthis.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/antio1-300x201.jpg

Come on old man, at least give him a shirt that fits.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
The kid didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't be suspended, but the law of the land is that students in schools don't have absolute freedom of expression. Any freedom of expression that presents a disruption to the learning environment can be limited. That's the ruling of Tinker v. Des Moines.

I don't necessarily like it, but that's the law.

I am aware of it, but the school would have to prove that. I don't think they can. In fact, I would bet the disrpution was a teacher not liking it. Ergo, the teacher has the problem, not the students. Now on the flip side, I think the kids should wear a button down shirt and a tie to school and bascially have a uniform, but I went to a military school so I am bias.

VAChief
09-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I am aware of it, but the school would have to prove that. I don't think they can. In fact, I would bet the disrpution was a teacher not liking it. Ergo, the teacher has the problem, not the students. Now on the flip side, I think the kids should wear a button down shirt and a tie to school and bascially have a uniform, but I went to a military school so I am bias.

It could go either way with a judge. If a fight broke out or their was any other kind of altercation the school would be well within their rights.

Ari Chi3fs
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
SOunds like this dad is a Denver Broncos fan.

Goapics1
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Not only is the kid's dad a dumbass for allowing his son to wear the t-shirt to school, but he's also a cheapass for using one his own shirts for his handy artwork.

Oh my!ROFL

ROYC75
09-23-2008, 12:14 PM
ROFL “Let’s be honest, it’s full of liberal loons.” ROFL

Sounds like ChiefsPlanet .

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
It could go either way with a judge. If a fight broke out or their was any other kind of altercation the school would be well within their rights.

Agreed. But that would be after an altercation actually occurred, and maybe that did happen, but other than that it's wrong to suspend the kid. The military school I went to is called Fork Union Military Academy. Ever heard of it?

J Diddy
09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Agreed. But that would be after an altercation actually occurred, and maybe that did happen, but other than that it's wrong to suspend the kid. The military school I went to is called Fork Union Military Academy. Ever heard of it?

Hey

Fork U

:D

Pablo
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
You have to love douchebags that use their 5th graders as extensions of their own political views.

I'm sure the kid really gives a ***** about Obama and the upcoming election, I know I cared soooo much about politics when I was 11.

If you love this dad so much BCD, how do you feel about the Phelps clan trotting around teenagers with God Hates Queers signs and such?

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey

Fork U

:D

:)

We all wore FUMA shirts. But read it as FU Ma for sending us there. :)

J Diddy
09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
:)

We all wore FUMA shirts. But read it as FU Ma for sending us there. :)

LOL

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 12:25 PM
You have to love douchebags that use their 5th graders as extensions of their own political views.

I'm sure the kid really gives a ***** about Obama and the upcoming election, I know I cared soooo much about politics when I was 10.

If you love this dad so much BCD, how do you feel about the Phelps clan trotting around teenagers with God Hates Queers signs and such?

I cared a bunch about politics when I was ten. But I grew up near DC, and Virginia is deep in political history. The founders of our nation are from there. The man that wrote our Declaration of Independence is from there. The man who wrote our constitution is from there. History class was like Constitutional law.

BigCatDaddy
09-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I don't like it.

BIG_DADDY
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM

The least he could have done was wear something like

RJ
09-23-2008, 12:36 PM

He's 11 and he's at school. He has no right to expression. He can wear dad's shirt to the mall on Saturday, he can wear it around the house, he can wear it as a halloween costume, he just can't wear it to school. Dad is an ass for sending the kid to school like that.

I agree with you completely about uniforms. I think all public schools should require them.

alpha_omega
09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
ROFL....the dad could have at least had the shirt screen printed or something.

A plain white T with markers says more about the shirt maker than the message he was trying to get across (through his son).

BIG_DADDY
09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
He's 11 and he's at school. He has no right to expression. He can wear dad's shirt to the mall on Saturday, he can wear it around the house, he can wear it as a halloween costume, he just can't wear it to school. Dad is an ass for sending the kid to school like that.

I agree with you completely about uniforms. I think all public schools should require them.

Reality is using an 11 year old is ridiculous. Pretty pathetic really.

Pablo
09-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Judging by the size of that t-shirt it should read something along the lines of:

"Porkchops: A morbidly obese man's best friends"

NO PORKCHOPS.

Guru
09-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Good grief. Just put NObama on it. If they ban that then there IS a problem.

I have no problem with the school banning the shirt as it is now though.

Brock
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Trashy.

jettio
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Whatever dude.

You think people that have their 1st amendment rights trampled should roll over and tolerate it.

The worst kind are folks like you in the chorus that see rights getting trampled and tell people that they should not stand up for themselves and fight for their rights.

jettio
09-23-2008, 02:08 PM

How can support this kid's right to express it, if you criticize the people that stand up for themselves when the right is infringed?

Jenson71
09-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Reason must dictate and demand that school uniforms are an absolute must have in our public schools.

Chiefnj2
09-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Daxx??

Is this a long lost Palin child?

vailpass
09-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Exactly right.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Whatever dude.

You think people that have their 1st amendment rights trampled should roll over and tolerate it.

The worst kind are folks like you in the chorus that see rights getting trampled and tell people that they should not stand up for themselves and fight for their rights.

That's not what I am saying at all. I am saying the kid does have a right to express himself. What exactly are you talking about?

I do agree with RJ though. I wouldn't even let my kid go to school dressed like that.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
How can support this kid's right to express it, if you criticize the people that stand up for themselves when the right is infringed?

what you are saying doesn't even make any sense. Perhaps you should try again to make your point.

HolmeZz
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM

So you're saying it's fine if an 11 year old girl going to school in a shirt that says 'Cum Dumpster' on it?

BIG_DADDY
09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
So you're saying it's fine if an 11 year old girl going to school in a shirt that says 'Cum Dumpster' on it?

Your mom didn't have a problem with you wearing it. LMAO

Seriously, what is your position on the bong hits for jesus delio?

Programmer
09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
It should read “McCain is a terrorist’s best friend.”

If it had of said that the kid would have been paraded in front of all of the TV camera's they could find.

jettio
09-23-2008, 07:37 PM
what you are saying doesn't even make any sense. Perhaps you should try again to make your point.

Check out the bong hits for jesus thread that I bumped. Get the cobwebs out of your head.