PDA

View Full Version : Environment Dems cave and allow Offshore drilling ban to expire

Bootlegged
09-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Time to club some baby seals. Sweet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/23/politics/politico/thecrypt/main4472892.shtml
Offshore Drilling Ban To Be Lifted
By Ryan Grim

After months of demanding that Democrats lift the ban on offshore drilling, Republicans have gotten their wish.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman Dave Obey (D-Wis.) told reporters Tuesday evening that Democrats were removing the ban from the continuing budget resolution because of a White House veto threat.

But they've vowed to fight another day.

"Chairman Obey negotiated the best package he could get with the White House to take a budget standoff off the table so we can address the larger Bush financial crisis,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s spokesman, Drew Hammill “The White House made it clear any new drilling provision was a non-starter. The future resolution of offshore drilling will have to be addressed with a new President.”

If true, said House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), “this capitulation by Democrats following months of Republican pressure is a big victory for Americans struggling with record gasoline prices,”
The drilling moratorium will be lifted Oct. 1, but don't expect to see oil rigs from the beaches anytime soon.

“Though it may serve folks’ interests to suggest otherwise, Exxon doesn’t get to paddle three miles off the coast of Cape May, drop a drill bit, and start pumping up oil on Oct. 1 if this moratorium expires,” said Chris Tucker, a spokesman for House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.). “The only ban that will be lifted on October 1 is the one on the Interior Department doing its job. And even without the moratoria, bureaucracy will ensure that job takes years to complete,”

The current moratorium prevents the Interior Department from studying the impact of offshore drilling. Without such research, drilling leases can’t go forward. When the ban expires, the studies will still need to be completed before drilling can begin. And such research can take up to five years or more.
Continue reading post...

Copyright 2008 POLITICO

Direckshun
09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
From what I understand, they are allowing drilling no closer than 50 miles offshore.

Democrats, I should add, are not 100% against drilling -- they just believe it should be a smaller fraction of the answer as Republicans do.

Bootlegged
09-23-2008, 08:14 PM
From what I understand, they are allowing drilling no closer than 50 miles offshore.

Democrats, I should add, are not 100% against drilling -- they just believe it should be a smaller fraction of the answer as Republicans do.

Why?

bango
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Everyone knows that most of the oil is within the first 50 miles from shore. This is a trap set by the democrats and the republicans will fall for it. They will not find enough oil and the democrats will be able to let everyone know that they were right about not allowing the drilling for as long as they did.

wazu
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Good for them. Nothing bad about them admitting they were foolish and wrong and stupid. Now if they can just do the same regarding ANWR.

Direckshun
09-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Everyone knows that most of the oil is within the first 50 miles from shore. This is a trap set by the democrats and the republicans will fall for it. They will not find enough oil and the democrats will be able to let everyone know that they were right about not allowing the drilling for as long as they did.
Well the only reason you folks tout that the most oil is close to land is because the administration's energy wing came out with a report saying some obscene percentage is available just offshore.

However the folks in that energy wing were brought up on charges of accepting perverse gifts from oil companies, so we don't know how much of that information is accurate.

The correct answer to your claim, I'm afraid, is we don't really know. But we've got a shitload of land that we could be drilling on that oil companies already own. For starters.

Direckshun
09-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Why?

Because there is only so much oil on the planet, and it's increasingly expensive. If we don't run out of it in our lifetime, it's going to become incredibly expensive incredibly fast.

Instead of further relying on oil we should emphasize moving onto other sources of power such as solar and electric, which are the two forms I like the most so far.

StcChief
09-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Club in hand, get 'em away from drilling platform

bango
09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Well the only reason you folks tout that the most oil is close to land is because the administration's energy wing came out with a report saying some obscene percentage is available just offshore.

However the folks in that energy wing were brought up on charges of accepting perverse gifts from oil companies, so we don't know how much of that information is accurate.

The correct answer to your claim, I'm afraid, is we don't really know. But we've got a shitload of land that we could be drilling on that oil companies already own. For starters.

To be honest I actually do not know where the oil is. I made that up. I am sorry for any trouble that it caused.

Logical
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
“The only ban that will be lifted on October 1 is the one on the Interior Department doing its job. And even without the moratoria, bureaucracy will ensure that job takes years to complete,”

LMAO The only thing that is really changing is that this will not have an impact for years. By the way if you ever want to see bipartisan effort headlines have to go away.

wazu
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
LMAO The only thing that is really changing is that this will not have an impact for years.

Yes, it would be much wiser to keep the bans in place and make sure that nothing ever changes, even years down the road.

Logical
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Why?Because they are eyesores, negatively impact property values of all kinds, are a risk in major storms for major oil spills that will despoil 100s of miles of coastline. Need I go on.

Logical
09-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Yes, it would be much wiser to keep the bans in place and make sure that nothing ever changes, even years down the road.Actually it would, as long as the government invests in alternative energy sources such as Clean Coal fired energy, safe responsible Nuclear facilities, and of course automotive vehicles that operate off of non-petrochemical fuel.

Warrior5
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Because they are eyesores, negatively impact property values of all kinds, are a risk in major storms for major oil spills that will despoil 100s of miles of coastline. Need I go on.

I don't think they get too many hurricanes in Alaska.

alnorth
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Because they are eyesores, negatively impact property values of all kinds, are a risk in major storms for major oil spills that will despoil 100s of miles of coastline. Need I go on.

Dont care, dont care, no different than the hundreds of rigs we have in the gulf, just briefly deferred.

Not that I'm really worked up about it anyway, since I also understand that this is a little drop in the bucket for our problems that is only politically useful. I am more interested in massive support for nuking up the country for our energy needs from coast to coast.

Logical
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't think they get too many hurricanes in Alaska.You can point out what I missed, where did it limit the drilling to Alaska (oh and they get major arctic storms up there).

Logical
09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Dont care, dont care, no different than the hundreds of rigs we have in the gulf, just briefly deferred.

Not that I'm really worked up about it anyway, since I also understand that this is a little drop in the bucket for our problems that is only politically useful. I am more interested in massive support for nuking up the country for our energy needs from coast to coast.We actually agree, though I want to see more clean coal fired energy (we have pretty much an unlimited coal supply to support those.

jAZ
09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Look out below!

Oil prices are gonna be a crashin tonight!

Right? Just mere suggestion that we'll be drilling will cut prices immediately.

Right?

Iowanian
09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
We'd better ratchet up Global warming, melt some icy tundra and glacier caps and move the shoreline IN...so the oil the dems are trying to hide is legal.

If this goes through jaz.....I think oil will level and head down, tomorrow.

Oh and direkshun....Brazil located 2 huge oil fields within the past year.

I wish we'd work on oil and sand shale refining....

tiptap
09-24-2008, 08:16 AM
The Congress has to have an active vote each year to ban off shore drilling. The Democrats have decided not to have that vote and the result is to let that ban die.

The oil find in Brazil is like 10 to 15 billion barrels. Prudhoe's was 25 billion. So while significant find it is has not indicated that we can drill our way to finding ever more oil. Especially since Prudoe has had a 35% decrease in production over its peak in 1970's and it never met American needs. It would be different if we presently only used the amount of oil we produced. I wouldn't find this so obnoxious and stupid.

But for now it wild cat oil fields.

penguinz
09-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't think they get too many hurricanes in Alaska.
They do get storms. Also have to factor in that the Alaskan Pipeline is a disaster waiting to happen.

jidar
09-24-2008, 08:37 AM
http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/ike_09_15/ike16.jpg

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Dems have no desire to see the balance of payments nor the positive impact on the dollar happen until they can take credit. We are a pawn in the hands of Pelosi and Reid and for that we should all be ashamed.

Stinger
09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Dems have no desire to see the balance of payments nor the positive impact on the dollar happen until they can take credit. We are a pawn in the hands of Pelosi and Reid and for that we should all be ashamed.

Eh.. Here is what I believe will play out. Human Rights and Global environmentalist will sue and hold this up in court till the Democrats can put a moratorium on drilling again.

tiptap
09-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Actually, they will reinstate it IN PART, but with a more comprehensive Energy plan, after the election early next year. Between now and then there isn't enough time to even get lots up EXcept in Virginia.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 12:27 PM
http://apolloalliance.org/digest/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/caribouandoil.jpg

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I have never understaood how our Congress can put a ban on anything beyond 7 miles, which is where international waters start. What can they actually do about it if some company drills off our coast out of our territory?

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Look out below!

Oil prices are gonna be a crashin tonight!

Right? Just mere suggestion that we'll be drilling will cut prices immediately.

Right?

futures have been dropping since the Executive ban was lifted.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Didn't they only lift the ban for 50 miles off shorline or more? If that's the case Dems won.

Calcountry
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Democrats, I should add, are not 100% against drilling -- they just believe it should be a smaller fraction of the answer as Republicans do.Dumbocrats aren't against drilling, they are just against drilling where the oil actually is.

Calcountry
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
LMAO The only thing that is really changing is that this will not have an impact for years. By the way if you ever want to see bipartisan effort headlines have to go away.
At least the clock is ticking now.

RaiderH8r
09-24-2008, 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=RaiderH8r;5050246]This is an expiration of the Congressional moratoria which means drilling is allowed up to three miles offshore. Inside of three miles is off limits.

Nancy's bill was a farce.

This expiration is not a problem for hippies because the offshore development statute dictates that any offshore leasing area be included in the current Minerals Management Service 5 year plan before leasing can begin. The next 5 year plan is 2012-2017, so literally nothing could be done in the area for the next 4 years unless MMS reopens the current plan. Which isn't going to happen by January.

This is potentially a problem for those who support resource development because the left will convolute this expiration as a vast opening of acreage that the oil industry refuses to develop because industry is butthumping people for their money and that we should support alternatives like puppy dog kisses and lollipop rainbows for our energy and happiness needs.

Plop, done. Relax and move on, nothing to see here.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
[quote=RaiderH8r;5050246]This is an expiration of the Congressional moratoria which means drilling is allowed up to three miles offshore. Inside of three miles is off limits.

Nancy's bill was a farce.

This expiration is not a problem for hippies because the offshore development statute dictates that any offshore leasing area be included in the current Minerals Management Service 5 year plan before leasing can begin. The next 5 year plan is 2012-2017, so literally nothing could be done in the area for the next 4 years unless MMS reopens the current plan. Which isn't going to happen by January.

This is potentially a problem for those who support resource development because the left will convolute this expiration as a vast opening of acreage that the oil industry refuses to develop because industry is butthumping people for their money and that we should support alternatives like puppy dog kisses and lollipop rainbows for our energy and happiness needs.

Plop, done. Relax and move on, nothing to see here.

We could have more oil tomorrow if the Governemnt would get out of the way.

whoman69
09-24-2008, 05:11 PM
[quote=RaiderH8r;5050246]

We could have more oil tomorrow if the Governemnt would get out of the way.

Or if the oil companies actually wanted to drill.