PDA

View Full Version : Elections Given the realities of the economy

Pitt Gorilla
09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
should the Republicans have nominated Ron Paul? My wife and I were talking about this last night and it seems that he would be the clear choice to lead the country through this mess. For whatever reason, the Reps couldn't stomach Paul.

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 08:57 AM
What are the realities? Its clear that there is much confusion about what is refered to as the economy. There are certainly parts of the economic system that have serious issues. But in total, the entire economy is certainly not in dire circumstances, some sectors are enjoying great succeess but the focus is on the one are that can be made into a political issue.

patteeu
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Are you so detached from this process that you don't understand why Ron Paul was rejected by Republican primary voters?

I agree that these events in the financial world would have played into his hands, though. It's a shame he marginalized himself with his outrageous foreign policy views. Maybe they ought to put Ron Paul in charge of figuring out what to do with AIG/Fannie/Freddie/etc.

Mr. Kotter
09-24-2008, 09:09 AM
:whackit:

Courtesy hand-job to the Paulites, eh? :rolleyes:

Are you so detached from this process that you don't understand why Ron Paul was rejected by Republican primary voters?

I agree that these events in the financial world would have played into his hands, though. It's a shame he marginalized himself with his outrageous foreign policy views. Maybe they ought to put Ron Paul in charge of figuring out what to do with AIG/Fannie/Freddie/etc.

Exactly my take, as well.

Amnorix
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
What are the realities? Its clear that there is much confusion about what is refered to as the economy. There are certainly parts of the economic system that have serious issues. But in total, the entire economy is certainly not in dire circumstances, some sectors are enjoying great succeess but the focus is on the one are that can be made into a political issue.

You gotta be kidding me.

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 09:13 AM
No. Not kidding you at all.

BucEyedPea
09-24-2008, 09:34 AM

[quotw]I agree that these events in the financial world would have played into his hands, though. It's a shame he marginalized himself with his outrageous foreign policy views. Maybe they ought to put Ron Paul in charge of figuring out what to do with AIG/Fannie/Freddie/etc.

Yeah, but that's just your opinion that those FP views are outrageous. We will never know how the American people really felt about those views because he got shut down eventually while he began to pick up. When you hear Laura Ingraham complaining on national TV, that the same "isolationist" ( since you prefer that term) view was rearing it's "ugly" ( to her) head among the people, one has to wonder if he's with the people more than than the elites who also brought us the housing bubble as well as no WMD in Iraq. Not only that but polls reflect that too. If that's accurate then he reflects those views more. And the electorate is disgusted with the choices, many are undecided and most are tired of more wars and interventions. I think the American people would sign up to fight if there was a true and genuine threat.

bkkcoh
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't think that either party could stomach the type of person who would state what would truly have to take place in order to get the fiscal situation in order for the country.

That would be a very bitter pill to take considering the mess we appear to be in. Can it be done in a gradual manner, I am not sure. Can it be done all at once, hell no, but it would be better in the long run, imho.

BucEyedPea
09-24-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't think that either party could stomach the type of person who would state what would truly have to take place in order to get the fiscal situation in order for the country.

That would be a very bitter pill to take considering the mess we appear to be in. Can it be done in a gradual manner, I am not sure. Can it be done all at once, hell no, but it would be better in the long run, imho.

Paul never ran on his full beliefs for his platform. He merely promised to bring govt back to it's size/budget of 2000 because he felt we had not got to where we are overnight, and could not fix overnight. So even on his FP he'd probably have not gotten more mired down in more international intrigue which led the the Georgia situation eventually too. He'd not shut down bases on our mainland either.

RJ
09-24-2008, 09:49 AM

You mean that one area and that one little political issue of 700 Billion Dollars?

J Diddy
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Please do tell which part of the economy is not in dire circumstances?

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Agriculture is doing quite good, Oil, oil services, exploration doing well, and there is some very strong parts of technology. Thats a start.

RINGLEADER
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Please do tell which part of the economy is not in dire circumstances?

I think he's talking about the fundamentals of certain sectors. :)

Nightfyre
09-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Agriculture is doing quite good, Oil, oil services, exploration doing well, and there is some very strong parts of technology. Thats a start.

You mean commodities and their related services are doing well? I wonder why that could be :rolleyes:

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
The economy is made up od multiple sectors and at any pont in time some will be more robust than others. Financials are in bad shape but even within financials there are some great opportunities and some high performing firms that have done very well even through this period.

J Diddy
09-24-2008, 09:56 AM

agriculture is doing well strictly to ethanol

If by doing well you mean making it difficult for ordinary Americans to purchase food or gas they are indeed doing "well"

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
You mean commodities and their related services are doing well? I wonder why that could be :rolleyes:

No I didnt mention commodities. Oil sector is not just the commodity called oil...its all the goods and services related to the discovery, transportation, processing and end product manufacturing.

Nightfyre
09-24-2008, 09:59 AM
No I didnt mention commodities. Oil sector is not just the commodity called oil...its all the goods and services related to the discovery, transportation, processing and end product manufacturing.

... did you just like, skip the "related services" part? Commodities and related services are doing well because the dollar sucks, and the outlook is even suckier.

ChiTown
09-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Excellent point. In addition, most energy related products are doing quite well. I'm tied in pretty closely with Nat Gas and Coal. Those markets (and all the ancillary markets attached to them) are doing fantastic.

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Again, I did not mention commodities...the outlook however for certain commodities is excellent based on US production, out position to produce at least cost, and demand from countries with growing economies and populations. But then that is opposed to your desired state of the sky falling and everything being "sucky"

Nightfyre
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
You're right. I'm imagining things:
http://quotes.ino.com/chart/history.gif?s=NYBOT_DX&t=l&w=15&a=50&v=dmax

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Not even sure what that is or what it represents but im sure that fulfills your needs.

Nightfyre
09-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Not even sure what that is or what it represents

J Diddy
09-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Not even sure what that is or what it represents but im sure that fulfills your needs.

It's one of them sizemograff thingies

ChiTown
09-24-2008, 10:15 AM

NY Board of Trade - a physical commodity futures exchange (primarily agriculture).

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 10:15 AM
indexes are only good as far as they go. If all you invest in are indexes then fine, but for most prudent investors the issue is to find strength within strength and based on your investment horizon, invest appropriately across a diverse set of products.

Nightfyre
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
indexes are only good as far as they go. If all you invest in are indexes then fine, but for most prudent investors the issue is to find strength within strength and based on your investment horizon, invest appropriately across a diverse set of products.
What do indexes represent - You can do it! Put your math into it.

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
NY Board of Trade - a physical commodity futures exchange (primarily agriculture).

I knew it was NY Board...i guess in Bozeman that represents all of the economy

Nightfyre
09-24-2008, 10:22 AM
I knew it was NY Board...i guess in Bozeman that represents all of the economy
I'm going to assume you know what an Index represents - so what might a US $ index represent? Are we there yet, mom?

HonestChieffan
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
If i were trading dollars, investing in currencies, and limited to that only, perhaps your chart would have some bearing on the conversation. A weak dollar and a strong dollar each have impacts on certain sectors. The fact we are in a weak dollar phase is releveant only if you understand how that impacts the various parts of the global economy and you invest as appropriate.

Nightfyre
09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
If i were trading dollars, investing in currencies, and limited to that only, perhaps your chart would have some bearing on the conversation. A weak dollar and a strong dollar each have impacts on certain sectors. The fact we are in a weak dollar phase is releveant only if you understand how that impacts the various parts of the global economy and you invest as appropriate.

Weak dollar = Commodities and related services inherently go up. Thanks for playing.

Cannibal
09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
:whackit:

Courtesy hand-job to the Paulites, eh? :rolleyes:

Exactly my take, as well.

Of course, you're up his ass like usual. Get a ****in room for christ's sake.

SBK
09-24-2008, 03:47 PM

I was a Paul supporter but it was solely for his domestic views, and economic views. His foreign policy views were terrible. And I totally agree with your post.

Ari Chi3fs
09-24-2008, 05:25 PM
should the Republicans have nominated Ron Paul? My wife and I were talking about this last night and it seems that he would be the clear choice to lead the country through this mess. For whatever reason, the Reps couldn't stomach Paul.

You obviously don't understand the nature of 2008 United States politics. Ron Paul is not a puppet, thus, he would NEVER be given the keys to the castle.

We are in the midst of a large power grab, a shift unlike any humanity has seen up to this point.

It's not about 'who is best for the country'... its about who is going to move along the agenda to put more money and power in the hands of the global elite.

Eventually you people will realize that the US government is a mockery of a sham.

patteeu
09-24-2008, 05:39 PM
I was a Paul supporter but it was solely for his domestic views, and economic views. His foreign policy views were terrible. And I totally agree with your post.

I would have been a Paul supporter if we hadn't been in the middle of a war.