PDA

View Full Version : General Politics McCain wants to postpone Friday debate

Pages : [1] 2

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Breaking on MSNBC. Says the debate needs to be postponed so they can focus on the bailout bill.

mlyonsd
09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Queen to Bishop 6.

Your move.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
well....Obama will be voting "present" either location, so they might as well just have it.

Stinger
well....Obama will be voting "present" either location, so they might as well just have it.

LMAO LMAO

oldandslow
Queen to Bishop 6.

Your move.

Pandering, you mean.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Queen to Bishop 6.

Your move.

Actually I think it makes McCain look like a pussy who doesn't want to have to answer questions about the crisis while it's going on.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
why....does Obama. Speak. likeWilliamShatner.?

Actually, it is a good move by McCain. It makes it look like he actually still cares about the job he Currently has, as much as the one he's probably going to have. They should BOTH be very concerned about this, as the winnah will be dealling with the fallout.

StcChief
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
:clap:well....Obama will be voting "present" either location, so they might as well just have it.

so sad but true.ROFL

oldandslow
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
why....does Obama. Speak. likeWilliamShatner.?

Actually, it is a good move by McCain. It makes it look like he actually still cares about the job he Currently has, as much as the one he's probably going to have. They should BOTH be very concerned about this, as the winnah will be dealling with the fallout.

Horse hockey...

they are both concerned - the debate isn't going to change anything with the crisis...and I, for one, would like to hear their views on it from their own mouths.

Donger
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
McCain's apparently going to temporarily suspend his campaigning after Thursday.

oldandslow
09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
McCain's apparently going to temporarily suspend his campaigning after Thursday.

It's a hail mary. What he was doing wasn't working...look at the poll trends.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:10 PM
It's a hail mary. What he was doing wasn't working...look at the poll trends.

That's all it is and that was mylonsd's point. McCain knows he's in big trouble and he wants to go on offense and force Obama to make a move. He knows that if he just rides everything out from here to election day, he's done. He needs to have Obama ***** up somewhere.

If I'm Obama, I call it like it is. McCain is not putting country first, he's putting politics first. The move is completely political.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I'msureObama...will...havesomewords...to say. aboutallofthis.....and it will soundveryelegant....when he says...johnmccainwouldrathernotdebateme...so muchthat..he went.....heactually...went....intowork.

IHope....hopetheychangethings....inaway that...makesmelook veryintelligent........and.....cool.

Programmer
09-24-2008, 01:12 PM
That's all it is and that was mylonsd's point. McCain knows he's in big trouble and he wants to go on offense and force Obama to make a move. He knows that if he just rides everything out from here to election day, he's done. He needs to have Obama ***** up somewhere.

If I'm Obama, I call it like it is. McCain is not putting country first, he's putting politics first. The move is completely political.

McCain's in trouble? You might want to check the vote after the election before you determine who is in trouble.

I seriously doubt that Obama is electable.

Donger
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I'msureObama...will...havesomewords...to say. aboutallofthis.....and it will soundveryelegant....when he says...johnmccainwouldrathernotdebateme...so muchthat..he went.....heactually...went....intowork.

IHope....hopetheychangethings....inaway that...makesmelook veryintelligent........and.....cool.

ROFL

"McKhan!!!!"

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:15 PM
JOHNMcKHAAAAAAAAN...i'mcallin...you out....tothisdebate....on fri'daaaaaaah

Donger
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Looks like Barack Hussein does not agree.

RINGLEADER
Cue the Benny Hill music.

Good political move by McCain. Drudge says Obama sees no reason to suspend but there's no link so who knows who the source is.

HolmeZz
McCain's in trouble? You might want to check the vote after the election before you determine who is in trouble.

I seriously doubt that Obama is electable.

Even if you want to ignore the obvious trend towards Obama in virtually all the polls, McCain hasn't been throwing all these hail mary passes(Palin, cancelling the debate) for nothing. He's been the one panicking and trying to shake up how the race has been going. He's tried to do it a few times. You don't try and shake up the race if you're winning.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Good political move by McCain.

Politics First!

I'm glad you can see that.

RJ
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Why should the bailout interfere with a debate?

These guys have been on the campaign trail for a long time now, done hundreds of interviews and numerous debates. Neither of them should need much time to study the issues. Fly to Oxford Friday afternoon, be back to wherever you need to be on Saturday. Where is the problem?

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
This is a bad move by the McCain camp, IMO.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Republicans will vote Republican and Democrats will vote Democrat. Each of these candidates need to convince the 8% of the electorate that are Independent voters - they're the key to this election.

McCain won't win any Independent votes unless he debates well. And even then, he'll have a hard time overcoming the stigma of representing a party that, fairly or unfairly, will be blamed for this current mess.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Why should the bailout interfere with a debate?

These guys have been on the campaign trail for a long time now, done hundreds of interviews and numerous debates. Neither of them should need much time to study the issues. Fly to Oxford Friday afternoon, be back to wherever you need to be on Saturday. Where is the problem?

There isn't. This was a political move by McCain to make it look like he's the one concerned about this crisis(despite his statements to the contrary early last week).

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I hope Obama shows up to the debate, gives his opening statement and then it cuts to an empty podium with a "McCain 08" sign....and goes to a video recorded message.

"Mah friends, I'd love to have the opportunity to speak with you tonight, and to debate senator obama, however the senate is in session, working on this current economic crisis. I'm about to play the video for the good senator where he says "Present". America, have a great evening my friends....and have you seen rack on Gov Palin? My friends. I'm hot for teacher"

mlyonsd
Pandering, you mean.

No doubt a stunt.

Pretty smart one though.

RJ
Cue the Benny Hill music.

Good political move by McCain. Drudge says Obama sees no reason to suspend but there's no link so who knows who the source is.

With only 6 weeks to go and 18% of voters still undecided or open to changing their minds I think we deserve better than good political moves.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Like the entire political campaign process isn't a daisychain orgy of polical stunts.....

whatsmynameagain
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
im appalled that he would do such a thing. john mccain is the most pathetic politician to run for president since jesse jackson.Posted via Mobile Device

RINGLEADER
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Politics First!

I'm glad you can see that.

Of course it's political. Just like Obama's reaction will be. They'd be stupid if they did consider the implications (both sides).

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:27 PM
whatsmynameagain.....really...likesthewayobama..would....sayhisname.

words....wordswordswords...wordds......words...canyoubelievetheaudacity?!! wordswords.

mlyonsd
With only 6 weeks to go and 18% of voters still undecided or open to changing their minds I think we deserve better than good political moves.

With 6 weeks to go undecided voters aren't going to hear anything of much substance from this point forward by either of them. Just promises.

The debates are more about who looks good and who makes a mistake compared to any policy they actually spew. IMO of course.

bkkcoh

I think we deserve better choices!

Calcountry
09-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Even if you want to ignore the obvious trend towards Obama in virtually all the polls, McCain hasn't been throwing all these hail mary passes(Palin, cancelling the debate) for nothing. He's been the one panicking and trying to shake up how the race has been going. He's tried to do it a few times. You don't try and shake up the race if you're winning.Do you seriously still think this is a game? This is our country. My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty?

The day of reckoning is upon us all, may God help us all.

ChiTown

ROFL

Holy crap, I hope you aren't being serious, are you?

HolmeZz
Of course it's political. Just like Obama's reaction will be. They'd be stupid if they did consider the implications (both sides).

So why don't you start caring about the truth of the matter instead of the political chess match? This election isn't a friggin' game. McCain isn't making this move out of the goodness of his heart and you all have admitted to seeing through this. Yet you're not going to hold him responsible for the bullshit.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:29 PM
coincidentah.....obama....talksmorelike jesseh jack-son...thananyothah...politician...uh.

cannah getttan Amen?!!

Pitt Gorilla
They'd be stupid if they did consider the implications (both sides).?

RINGLEADER
This is a bad move by the McCain camp, IMO.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Republicans will vote Republican and Democrats will vote Democrat. Each of these candidates need to convince the 8% of the electorate that are Independent voters - they're the key to this election.

McCain won't win any Independent votes unless he debates well. And even then, he'll have a hard time overcoming the stigma of representing a party that, fairly or unfairly, will be blamed for this current mess.

Time will bear out whether or not you're right. I personally think that McCain needs to find a way to get behind action on the issue of the economy because without a distinction from Obama he's going to get hammered. It shouldn't surprise anyone that when there is uncertainty it benefits Obama and when there appears to be a solution it benefits McCain.

I'm talking completely politically and not ascribing an intention to either side of course.

Direckshun
All this obviously means is that John McCain would rather be thrown into a vat of eels than answer questions about this crisis.

Donger
09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
So why don't you start caring about the truth of the matter instead of the political chess match? This election isn't a friggin' game. McCain isn't making this move out of the goodness of his heart and you all have admitted to seeing through this. Yet you're not going to hold him responsible for the bullshit.

Are you suggesting that Barack Hussein is above such "games"?

whatsmynameagain
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
whatsmynameagain.....really...likesthewayobama..would....sayhisname.

words....wordswordswords...wordds......words...canyoubelievetheaudacity?!! wordswords.

I like the way your wife says my name, k, thanks!

Posted via Mobile Device

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Are you suggesting that Barack Hussein is above such "games"?

I haven't seen Obama have to resort to initiating any games with McCain and that's probably because he's been up most of this election.

Even so, if you're not willing to hold McCain accountable for this, you don't have much room to speak with regards to Obama.

RJ
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
ROFL

Holy crap, I hope you aren't being serious, are you?

What, my expectations are too high?

RINGLEADER
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM

He didn't say it was going to be cancelled. He said he's going to address this problem first. I think it's a bit of a stretch to think McCain's opinion is going to lead any more weight to the issue than might otherwise exist. But it is a good political move. And I'm sure Obama will parry it. Life goes on.

Frankly, I don't think most people have a real appreciation for what's going to happen if there isn't a capital infusion that allows the banking system to have a do-over. I think it's terrible and runs counter to the free market but we're on a pathway to a real meltdown. So politics or not, if McCain is able to get something done then good for him. And the same goes for Obama.

mlyonsd
09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
All this obviously means is that John McCain would rather be thrown into a vat of eels than answer questions about this crisis.

I thought the first debate was about foreign policy.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
LMAO HOLY SHIT. McCain must be stealing the same drugs his wife has been. LMAO

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM

It is, but they were going to address the economic crisis.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 01:38 PM

It is.

It is stupid to postpone the debate it is not like either of them are up on Capitol Hill negoitating. They are both campaigning.

Direckshun

Hmmmm.... interesting point.

I will say that the 2004 debates were supposed to be segregated by issue as well, but all three were wide-ranging.

RINGLEADER

I didn't say that. I said that politics factored into it. Turns out Obama suggested some joint thing in a conversation with McCain this morning which I'm sure was political as well. I guess I don't get what the big deal is when politicians vying for the biggest prize there is employ...politics. ???

RINGLEADER
?

Sorry. Meant to say "didn't" not "did".

RINGLEADER
09-24-2008, 01:39 PM
I haven't seen Obama have to resort to initiating any games with McCain and that's probably because he's been up most of this election.

Even so, if you're not willing to hold McCain accountable for this, you don't have much room to speak with regards to Obama.

News is reporting that Obama called McCain about some joint thing. So there you go.

On edit: Obama's campaign manager was quoted as saying this was their idea first.

On second edit: That it was their idea for their campaigns to jointly work on the plan -- not suspend the debate.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Obama says the debate is still on...

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Obama says the debate is still on...

Awesome.

mlyonsd
09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
It is.

It is stupid to postpone the debate it is not like either of them are up on Capitol Hill negoitating. They are both campaigning.

And McCain willing to postpone his campaign to go back to Washington and help sort it out can quite possibly be a brilliant political move.

I bet if Obama would have thought of it first the tone on this thread would be vastly different.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
I like the way your wife says my name, k, thanks!

Posted via Mobile Device

She says you've got the penis of a Dwarf toddler. Is that guy really you?

If your mother knew who your father really was, you wouldn't have to ask me for your name.

Donger
09-24-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm confused why Barack Hussein followers seem so eager for the debates. Barack Hussein is pretty poor when he doesn't have a teleprompter in front of him, and he doesn't seem to like being questioned.

Woodrow Call
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/mccain-not-comm.html

McCain: Scrap Friday Debate for Bailout; Obama Camp: 'The Debate is On'
Email
Share September 24, 2008 3:04 PM

ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos and Rick Klein report: Sen. John McCain on Wednesday said he would “suspend” his presidential campaign to come to Washington to help negotiate a financial bailout bill, a dramatic move designed to seize a powerful issue.

McCain called on the Commission on Presidential Debates to postpone the debate scheduled for Friday in Mississippi, to ensure quick congressional action.

“I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me,” McCain planned to say in New York City, according to advance excerpts released by his campaign. “I am calling on the president to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.”

However a senior Obama campaign official said Obama "intends to debate."

"The debate is on," a senior Obama campaign official told ABC News.

Obama supporter and chief debate negotiator Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., told MSNBC that "we can handle both," when asked about his reaction to McCain's call to postpone the first debate because of the administration's bailout plan.

He believes they are making good progress on Capitol Hill on the bailout and his initial reaction is that the work on the Hill should not preclude the debate from taking place.

White House spokesman Dana Perino said the president is happy to have the presidential candidates come to the table.

"We welcome Sen. McCain's announcement," Perino said. "We are making progress in negotiations on the financial markets rescue legislation, but we have not finished it yet. Bipartisan support from Sens. McCain and Obama would be helpful in driving to a conclusion. The financial market crisis is a big problem that requires a big solution, and solving this in a bipartisan way will help prevent economic damage spreading from Wall Street to all Americans."

The move by McCain puts Obama in a tough spot: If he insists on having Friday's debate, McCain and his allies could blame any hiccups in negotiations on Obama's desire to keep a political event on the schedule.

An Obama campaign official told ABC News the Democratic presidential candidate called McCain this morning to suggest a joint statement of principles.

McCain called back this afternoon and suggested returning to Washington.

Obama is willing to return to Washington "if it would be helpful," a campaign official said. But the official reiterated that Obama intends to debate on Friday.

McCain and his top advisers said the Republican presidential candidate has not committed to voting for the massive financial bailout plan proposed by the Bush administration, with aides saying he will reserve final judgment until there is a final product.

A senior McCain campaign official said that the “Bush package is dead. This is a serious situation. Package must be resolved by the time markets open on Monday."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday that McCain had assured Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson that he would support the $700 billion legislation.

Asked about that Wednesday, McCain responded: “I did not say that.”

Senior advisor Mark Salter then interjected saying, “He hasn’t said that to Paulson or to Reid or to anybody else. He hasn’t said that to me.”

McCain campaign political director Mike DuHaime told reporters at a lunch meeting in Washington that the senator will not commit until he sees the final package that comes to the Senate floor.

“He’s going to do what he thinks is right,” DuHaime said at a lunch sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor. “He’ll make a vote as a leader in this country, and people will look to him.”

DuHaime added, “Quite frankly, I think you could ask Sen. Obama if he’s going to do what he thinks is right. I mean, he has never -- I believe -- never once made a decision that is an unpopular decision or went against the orthodoxy of his party, and was one that was one that was a tough decision to make. . . . Sen. McCain has done that throughout his entire career, his entire life -- not just in politics, but his life.”

DuHaime said that while McCain understands the urgency, many voters continue to have important questions about what the bailout means to them.

“When you start talking about $10,000 per household or per family to go toward bailing out Wall Street, they have legitimate questions about it,” DuHaime said. “People understand that that is a big thing and it affects them, and they do legitimately have questions about, is this really going to go to bail out companies or leaders of companies who now are relying on taxpayer dollars to bail them out, and are going to get these huge compensation packages after they come to the taxpayers for it.”

“There is some frustration, certainly, in that, and it’s understandable to say the least. And it has not been a quick rush to say yes or no. People understand the gravity of this, want to see it done right, while still understanding the timing factor.”

HolmeZz
I bet if Obama would have thought of it first the tone on this thread would be vastly different.

I think Obama would look bad trying to postpone any debate, ESPECIALLY because he's already winning. Then it looks like he's afraid to talk about the issues and just wants to run out the clock.

McCain's downturn in the polls has everything to do with the economy. McCain has to show he can handle the issue. He's not going to be able to do that unless he debates.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 01:44 PM
And McCain willing to postpone his campaign to go back to Washington and help sort it out can quite possibly be a brilliant political move.

Obama called him first and then if the timeline is correct McCain tries to one up him

Obama spokesman Bill Burton emails reporters:
At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama’s call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

mlyonsd
09-24-2008, 01:45 PM
I think Obama would look bad trying to postpone any debate, ESPECIALLY because he's already winning. Then it looks like he's afraid to talk about the issues and just wants to run out the clock.

Fair enough argument.

But I'm speaking more of the tone in this thread.

the Talking Can
McCain is a sad loser.

Presidents don't get to take timeouts.

This is pathetic.

No one in Washington needs McCain for anything.

this is embarrassing

Donger
I predict that Barack Hussein will fold.

mlyonsd
09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Obama called him first and then if the timeline is correct McCain tries to one up him

Obama spokesman Bill Burton emails reporters:
At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama’s call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

What does that have to do with going back to Washington and meeting with the President and Congress?

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm confused why Barack Hussein followers seem so eager for the debates. Barack Hussein is pretty poor when he doesn't have a teleprompter in front of him, and he doesn't seem to like being questioned.

This is a joke, right? McCain is brutal even when he has a teleprompter in front of him and McCain didn't hold a press conference for 6 weeks until the other day.

I definitely wouldn't call debates Obama's strength, but he's, at worst, no worse than McCain.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 01:48 PM
What does that have to do with going back to Washington and meeting with the President and Congress?

He is just trying to stall and avoid talking about it. I don't know why he thinks he needs to go back to Washington he knows nothing about the economy

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Actually I think it makes McCain look like a pussy who doesn't want to have to answer questions about the crisis while it's going on.

IIRC, this one is on foreign policy and national security.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
IIRC, this one is on foreign policy and national security.

They're going to address the financial crisis as well.

At least they were before McCain decided to take his ball and go home.

Programmer
09-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Even if you want to ignore the obvious trend towards Obama in virtually all the polls, McCain hasn't been throwing all these hail mary passes(Palin, cancelling the debate) for nothing. He's been the one panicking and trying to shake up how the race has been going. He's tried to do it a few times. You don't try and shake up the race if you're winning.

Shake up the race or doing the job you are being paid to do?

Obama obviously doesn't care.

What reality tells us is that Obama is unelectable regardless of all the polls you might want to throw up. Call it a race issue or what ever you want to call it, the man has no real qualifications for the office.

If Obama is such the man, why did he initially agree to the town hall meetings and then back out? The answer is that he fears being exposed for the idiot he actually is. Talking points is all he has, there is no substance to the man.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Shake up the race or doing the job you are being paid to do?

Obama obviously doesn't care.

What reality tells us is that Obama is unelectable regardless of all the polls you might want to throw up. Call it a race issue or what ever you want to call it, the man has no real qualifications for the office.

If Obama is such the man, why did he initially agree to the town hall meetings and then back out? The answer is that he fears being exposed for the idiot he actually is. Talking points is all he has, there is no substance to the man.

You didn't answer the question.

Why does McCain continue trying to shake up the race and taking risks if he's already winning and Obama is unelectable? Answer that.

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 01:58 PM
News is reporting that Obama called McCain about some joint thing. So there you go.

On edit: Obama's campaign manager was quoted as saying this was their idea first.

On second edit: That it was their idea for their campaigns to jointly work on the plan -- not suspend the debate.

Awesome, Obots revoke !!!!!!!ROFL

Dave Lane
09-24-2008, 02:05 PM

He should just quit, its fairly inevitable any way...

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 02:06 PM
LMAO McCain is asking Obama to suspend all advertising too LMAO

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

He's also asking Obama to agree to suspend all campaign advertising, my colleague Amie Parnes reports from the campaign bubble.

whatsmynameagain
09-24-2008, 02:07 PM
She says you've got the penis of a Dwarf toddler. Is that guy really you?

of course. really funny you mention it actually. she said that was the one thing about me that really reminded her of you.

Posted via Mobile Device

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 02:08 PM

I don't think I've ever seen something this desperate.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
McCain is a sad loser.
This is pathetic.
this is embarrassing

I can't imagine that these quotes won't be very, very relvant should McCain WIN in November.

Team Hoperah will make team Kerry look like stiff lipped lumberjacks in comparison.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 02:15 PM
McCain is old fart who has no business running this country. With his decision today he might have just lost the election. If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time you are pretty much worthless

Donger
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Barack Hussein followers already calling it? Delicious.

RINGLEADER
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think I've ever seen something this desperate.

Eh. I don't think it's a sign of desperation but the longer this goes on the less likely politics aren't going to completely derail it.

As I've said before, I really hope those who say we're on a ledge looking down into oblivion are wrong, but I'm getting the sense that it's going to take a meltdown of several thousand points on the DOW before anyone starts to act like there's a problem. Really hope they're wrong.

Dave Lane
09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Coward and a pussy...

But I understand. Obama would beat him like a red haired step child and he knows it...

Dave

patteeu
09-24-2008, 02:25 PM

The desperate one is usually the one wanting to debate, right?

Dave Lane

It was over the second McCain was nominated, only Giuliani would have fared worse IMO.

Pitt Gorilla
LMAO McCain is asking Obama to suspend all advertising too LMAOI can't believe that is true. No way.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 02:26 PM

I am not calling anything until Nov 5 but the polls are trending in big numbers to Obama.

Brock
09-24-2008, 02:26 PM
It was over the second McCain was nominated, only Giuliani would have fared worse IMO.

Hmm. Is there some rational reason that this election is going to buck the trend and not be superclose like the past couple have been?

banyon
09-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Obama should just refuse to discuss it with him and just show up at the scheduled location and step up to the pedestal with the opposing one empty. That would send a message.

Donger
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Obama should just refuse to discuss it with him and just show up at the scheduled location and step up to the pedestal with the opposing one empty. That would send a message.

It sure would.

banyon
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
It sure would.

You think that would look good for McCain? LMAO

Donger
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
You think that would look good for McCain? LMAO

No, I think it would look bad for Barack Hussein.

RJ
09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, he would look kinda silly standing there by himself. People would assume his staff never gave him the message, which would reek of inefficiency - and the last thing we need is more of that, huh?

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
I can't imagine that these quotes won't be very, very relvant should McCain WIN in November.

Team Hoperah will make team Kerry look like stiff lipped lumberjacks in comparison.

yeah.....you've really got your finger on the pulse....

mccain wants a time out

that is pathetic, and desperate...

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 02:37 PM
All you need to say.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsQoMZcxVdI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsQoMZcxVdI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Obama Official to NBC: “The president should be able to multitask… The only thing that has changed is McCain’s standing in the polls.”

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
well, you could say this:

McCain suspends his campaign, and asks to postpone Friday's debate, to address the financial crisis.

Both candidates have been marginal players; McCain, though, seems to have the potential to make himself a major one, and his move is a mark, most of all, that he doesn't like the way this campaign is going.

But in terms of the timing of this move: The only thing that's changed in the last 48 hours is the public polling.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/McCains_gambit.html?showall

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 02:40 PM
ok, this too

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3/timeout.jpg

kstater
09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Queen to Bishop 6.

Your move.

Obama should be in D.C Friday, fly to the debate location in the afternoon. Then ask where McCain is, and fly back Saturday.

mlyonsd
09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Obama Official to NBC: “The president should be able to multitask… The only thing that has changed is McCain’s standing in the polls.”

Excellent comeback.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Obama should be in D.C Friday, fly to the debate location in the afternoon. Then ask where McCain is, and fly back Saturday.

That's what I want to see him do.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Excellent comeback.

I am glad we agree :p

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Obama: "It's more important than ever" to debate and let the country know where we stand.

Silock
09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Obama: "It's more important than ever" to debate and let the country know where we stand.

I think it's more important to put your votes where you stand, not your words.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 02:51 PM

He said both of them should be in Washington to vote on the bill.

Again, you're falling for a false choice. You can do both.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 02:52 PM
yeah.....you've really got your finger on the pulse....

mccain wants a time out

that is pathetic, and desperate...

I can check a pulse in several locations in the human body and approximate a blood pressure from it....

I like how you clowns act as if McCain won't debate him.....when in fact, its been Barry who has avoided a town hall setting debate, without pre-approved questions all along.

They'll debate, and hoperah will use wordswordswords....and the fainting sheep will be impressed, no matter what they are because they sound pretty in a Shatner cadenence.

I'm no hard core McCain supporter. In fact, I don't like him very much. He's a hold my nose and vote because he's better than Obama on my checklist-candidate.

Guru
09-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok so doing the job required of a Senator makes him look like a pussy. Guess that makes McCain one giant pussy then because Obama doesn't do these things. Also, the debate is NOT about the economy so there will be no questions about it anyway.

Personally, it irritates me that people running for president don't relinquish their positions 100% when they become the nominee.

dirk digler

I agree and that is why McCain hasn't voted since April. LMAO

He didn't even have the courage to show up and vote for the GI Bill to take care of our heroes who put their lives on the line.

Amie Parnes reports that McCain hasn't made a roll call vote for more than five months.
Obama hasn't made one for more than two months.
Their last votes, respectively, were on April 8 and July 9th.

Iowanian

"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"Yes"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"Yes NO"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"Yes"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"NO YES"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"Yes"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"Yes NO"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"Yes"PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT""PRESENT"NO YES

Mr. Laz
09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
McCain is scared that Obama will go all Vietnamese Prison Guard on his ass.

Donger
09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I can check a pulse in several locations in the human body and approximate a blood pressure from it....

I like how you clowns act as if McCain won't debate him.....when in fact, its been Barry who has avoided a town hall setting debate, without pre-approved questions all along.

They'll debate, and hoperah will use wordswordswords....and the fainting sheep will be impressed, no matter what they are because they sound pretty in a Shatner cadenence.

I'm no hard core McCain supporter. In fact, I don't like him very much. He's a hold my nose and vote because he's better than Obama on my checklist-candidate.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6b-072VA4UA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6b-072VA4UA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
“It’s my belief that this is exacty the time the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible with dealing with this mess.”

“What I’ve told the leadership in Congress is that if I can be helpful then I am prepared to be anywhere, anytime. What I think is important is that we don’t suddenly infuse Capitol Hill with presidential politics…”

“Presidents are going to have to deal with more than one thing at a time. It’s not necessary for us to think that we can only do one thing and suspend everything else.”

Says McCain suggested when they chatted about the joint statement they postpone the debate and Obama proposed they hold off, the only “miscommunication” was how quickly McCain would go on TV and announce his decision.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Obama's afraid McCain will bust out a photo of Obama's brother who lives in the African shante town when he uses the "I am my brother's keeper" line.

McCain should run a 15 second ad with Obama saying that.....in loop, with a photo of the guy coming out of his carboard hut.

Silock

I'm not falling for anything. I expect them both to do their jobs, especially on an important issue like this.

DaKCMan AP
Brief rundown of Obama's quick presser:

The clock is ticking, we have to act swiftly but have to get it right.
Can't reward those who got us where we are.
Three things are important in reaching a solution:
1. We need an independent board to provide oversight and accountability for how and where money is spent.
2. If american taxpayers are financing the solution they need to be treated as investors.
3. We can't bail out Wall St without helping all the homeowners struggling to stay in their homes.

Taxpayers should not spend a dime to help reward those who got us here, this shouldn't be treated as welfare for Wall St.

on the debate:

This is exactly the time the American people NEED to hear from the person who will be responsible for this mess in 40 days.

It's the president's job to be able to deal with more than one thing at once.

HolmeZz
Ok so doing the job required of a Senator makes him look like a pussy. Guess that makes McCain one giant pussy then because Obama doesn't do these things.

He's not a pussy for doing his job. He's a pussy for using this crisis as an excuse to duck the problem.

Also, the debate is NOT about the economy so there will be no questions about it anyway.

Are you new to this rodeo? They're going to talk about a $700 billion bailout. That isn't small potatoes.

Donger
09-24-2008, 03:00 PM
“It’s my belief that this is exacty the time the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible with dealing with this mess.”

“What I’ve told the leadership in Congress is that if I can be helpful then I am prepared to be anywhere, anytime. What I think is important is that we don’t suddenly infuse Capitol Hill with presidential politics…”

“Presidents are going to have to deal with more than one thing at a time. It’s not necessary for us to think that we can only do one thing and suspend everything else.”

Says McCain suggested when they chatted about the joint statement they postpone the debate and Obama proposed they hold off, the only “miscommunication” was how quickly McCain would go on TV and announce his decision.

40 days? I thought the inauguration was in January?

HolmeZz
I'm not falling for anything. I expect them both to do their jobs, especially on an important issue like this.

Obama said both should be in Washington to vote.

That doesn't hinder their ability to debate on Friday.

dirk digler
Obama's afraid McCain will bust out a photo of Obama's brother who lives in the African shante town when he uses the "I am my brother's keeper" line.

McCain should run a 15 second ad with Obama saying that.....in loop, with a photo of the guy coming out of his carboard hut.

And Obama should run an ad showing Cindy McCain breaking into businesses and stealing drugs and injecting herself.

Now that would be funny. HAHAHA

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Good, you mean Obama will be present and maybe vote this time on a serious issue ? That's change right there folks ........

I see McCain putting the country first and wants to secure that something gets done now ....... not later. The country can wait for this debate, we can't wait on the crisis at hand ...........

Big difference here , at least Bbbbbbbarry should see this. BTA, he is all about himself, always has, always will be.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
And Obama should run an ad showing Cindy McCain breaking into businesses and stealing drugs and injecting herself.

maybe they can get a 2fer when they're hiring out their next Palin's child smear.

whadda bargain!

Donger

Surely a vote trumps a debate, no?

Silock

Maybe, maybe not. I don't see why postponing it is such a big deal.

dirk digler
Good, you mean Obama will be present and maybe vote this time on a serious issue ? That's change right there folks ........

I see McCain putting the country first and wants to secure that something gets done now ....... not later. The country can wait for this debate, we can't wait on the crisis at hand ...........

Big difference here , at least Bbbbbbbarry should see this. BTA, he is all about himself, always has, always will be.

Yeah like McCain not showing up and voting for the GI Bill? That is putting America first!! what a loser..

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM

You seem to get stupider with every post.

What do you think McCain will solve by not debating?

DaKCMan AP
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Fair and balanced.

Carlota69
09-24-2008, 03:04 PM
40 days? I thought the inauguration was in January?

Yes, but in 40 days one man will have to start putting together his team, cabinet etc...

Guru

QFT

HolmeZz
Maybe, maybe not. I don't see why postponing it is such a big deal.

McCain doesn't want to talk about the issue until it's resolved. That's why it matters.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Surely a vote trumps a debate, no?

Did you not read the post I made about a false choice?

Obama and McCain can do both of those.

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
You seem to get stupider with every post.

What do you think McCain will solve by not debating?

Eat you own words, stupid .

What will the country , the crisis gain if they leave town and nothing is done , so the debate goes on, the country losses.

penchief
Looks like Barack Hussein does not agree.

Why should it matter if this Barack Hussein character that you seem so enamoured with agrees or not? You sure do like invoking this guy's name. I wish I knew why you are so hung up in him.

HolmeZz
QFT

So you think McCain is putting country first?

Where was he on the GI Bill, Guru?

penchief
I predict that Barack Hussein will fold.

If he did, it would have no impact on McCain or Obama.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM

What will the country , the crisis gain if they leave town and nothing is done , so the debate goes on, the country losses.

Congress is not leaving until there is a bill. Obama and McCain don't need to be there because it would poison the process.

HolmeZz

I feel like banging my head against the keyboard.

You can friggin' debate and vote on the bailout bill. You're falling for a retardedly false choice.

What do you believe McCain will solve by not going to the debate?

Donger
Did you not read the post I made about a false choice?

Obama and McCain can do both of those.

If the vote comes down to being on Friday, I'd rather both Senators do their jobs before Monday. The debate can wait.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
If the vote comes down to being on Friday, I'd rather both Senators do their jobs before Monday. The debate can wait.

They can vote by proxy.

Also there is this thing called airplanes now that are really really fast.

ChiTown

Or Obama snorting a huge line. AWESOME!

ROYC75
McCain doesn't want to talk about the issue until it's resolved. That's why it matters.

So you say, what does McCain say ? He says, we need a solution now, time to go to work, country first. Obama says , Me,Me, Me, debate debate debate , hey , I have spent my entire senate life running for POTUS, don't deprive me of my time in the spotlight. Screw the crisis, I will SHOW UP and vote " PRESENT ", my colleges will carry me . Screw the country, I'll fix it when I'm elected .

Guru
So you think McCain is putting country first?

Where was he on the GI Bill, Guru?
I don't know anything about that bill and excuse me if I don;t want to hear your spinned version about it. I will look it up later tonight and draw my own conclusions.

Now back to daddy duty as holding a baby and typing one handed is more work than I care deal with right now, This way I can give 100% attention to my issue at hand.

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Obama just held a press conference - that thing Palin is scared of - and drank McCain's milkshake....

it was beautiful..."we both have big planes..."...lol

he looked like a President...McCain looks like Roy....

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
I feel like banging my head against the keyboard.

You can friggin' debate and vote on the bailout bill. You're falling for a retardedly false choice.

What do you believe McCain will solve by not going to the debate?

Uh, maybe a solution to the problem, what will the country gain if he & Obama isn't there and nothing gets done.

Bang away, it might wake you up , I said might !

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
So you say, what does McCain say ? He says, we need a solution now, time to go to work, country first. Obama says , Me,Me, Me, debate debate debate , hey , I have spent my entire senate life running for POTUS, don't deprive me of my time in the spotlight. Screw the crisis, I will SHOW UP and vote " PRESENT ", my colleges will carry me . Screw the country, I'll fix it when I'm elected .

you're dumber than a dead squirrel

like, "maybe euthanasia isn't such a bad idea" dumb

you know this is a great country when we let you vote....

HolmeZz

You are a gem, Roy.

How many hours a day do you spend working on your stupidity?

penchief

You have got to be shittin me. This mess is exposing McCain. At a time when he should be acting presidential and taking a leadership role he wants to shut everything down just because he's getting his ass handed to him by his own ineptitude? If the roles were reversed you can bet your sweet behind that McCain and the republicans would be hammering Obama like there was no tomorrow.

Halt the campaign? Stop advertising? Wow.

How about this. Instead of being overdramatic about it and trying to turn it into a political ploy to stop the bleeding, maybe McCain should try to come up with something that makes it sound like he actually knows what the hell he's talking about.

penchief
09-24-2008, 03:16 PM

They would be stupid since Barack Hussein isn't running for president.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Uh, maybe a solution to the problem, what will the country gain if he & Obama isn't there and nothing gets done.

What is McCain's solution to the problem?

This crisis didn't just manifest at 2:30 this afternoon.

What will McCain solve by not doing a debate on Friday, Roy?

Silock

Either way, the debate would happen after whatever is going to happen happens. Big deal, IMO.

penchief
It sure would.

Maybe Barack Hussein would fill in for McCain. That would give you a reason to watch.

dirk digler

You actually think that having McCain and Obama there would actually help the process?

McCain knows zilch about the economy so what would he actually talk about?

penchief
09-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Only if he actually tries to debate Barack Obama in McCain's place.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Either way, the debate would happen after whatever is going to happen happens. Big deal, IMO.

Uh, not necessarily. They were talking about working on it Saturday.

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Obama just held a press conference - that thing Palin is scared of - and drank McCain's milkshake....

it was beautiful..."we both have big planes..."...lol

he looked like a President...McCain looks like Roy....

Oh, Andy get your gun, no wait, he fired.:doh!:

Obama couldn't make a pimple on Presidents ass ...... He is not a leader for our country,as much as you loony liberals want to make him to be.

Ever heard of , Blinded by the light, that's just what you Obots are.

Dave Lane
09-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Then that would make the two of you a Band of Brothers...

Dave

Silock
09-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Uh, not necessarily. They were talking about working on it Saturday.

I still don't see what the big deal is.

Both sides are going to spin this whatever way they wish. McCain followers see it as him being concerned, Obama followers think it's a publicity stunt and McCain being a coward.

Personally, I don't care either way, as long as they're both there to vote.

Dave Lane
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
The vote can wait a week or two to get the best bill possible...

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Both sides are going to spin this whatever way they wish. McCain followers see it as him being concerned, Obama followers think it's a publicity stunt and McCain being a coward.

Personally, I don't care either way, as long as they're both there to vote.

Actually most of the Republicans, early on in this thread, admitted this was a political stunt.

jettio
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
A guy that would try to negotitate something like that in public is a kind of guy that would sh*tcan his first wife in favor of younger richer blonder puzzy.

I wonder if McCain did that also?

This dude is 72 years old and nobody taught him how to be a man. That is pathetic.

What kind of leader tosses out some sh*t like that in public? wotta gutless punk.

BucEyedPea
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Just heard the debate will go on as scheduled.

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Look, your guy wants to debate and skip out being a part of the solution.

My guy wants to find a solution .........

And you ask about leadership ability ?

Give me a break........ You guys are loony.

jettio
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Just heard the debate will go on as scheduled.

I knew my post would help straighten that out.

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Then that would make the two of you a Band of Brothers...

Dave

ROFL Uh, no. My brother is not a liberal . :D

Cave Johnson
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Maybe Barack Hussein would fill in for McCain. That would give you a reason to watch.

Acutally, the posters at National Review want Palin to fill in for McPussy.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MTNlZTcyY2I4NTkzNzRhNDMzZGFiNTU1MGY2N2Y0YzE=

jettio
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Look, your guy wants to debate and skip out being a part of the solution.

My guy wants to find a solution .........

And you ask about leadership ability ?

Give me a break........ You guys are loony.

Your guy wants to sh*tcan Cindy in favor of newer richer puzzy.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I enjoy watching Jettio actually try to decipher the man-code.

Its like watching clay Aiken try to put together a model of a 3-D female reproductive tract funny.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/

A Democrat tells ABC News that in a phone call late this afternoon, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., that it would NOT be helpful for him to come back to Washington, DC, to work on the Wall Street bailout bill.

McCain this afternoon suspended his campaign and said he would skip the first presidential debate in order to return to Capitol Hill to work on the log jammed Bush administration legislation, which as of Wednesday afternoon was in peril.

When contacted, the McCain campaign did not have any comment.
McCain had phoned Reid to ask about the prospects of him, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and others to sit down and work together on hammering out a bipartisan proposal.

"Sorry," Reid said to him, a Democrat close to Reid says.

Reid then read McCain the statement he had just put out: "This is a critical time for our country," says the Reid statement. "While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the Administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis. I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Senator Obama’s suggestion. But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy. If that changes, we will call upon them. We need leadership; not a campaign photo op. If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.”

A source close to Reid said McCain didn't have much to say after that. Reid, the source says, thinks McCain's maneuver is a gimmick born from bad poll numbers and the fact that "debate prep must not be going very well."

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
What is McCain's solution to the problem?

This crisis didn't just manifest at 2:30 this afternoon.

What will McCain solve by not doing a debate on Friday, Roy?

What is Obama's ?

Why doesn't Obama put the crisis and the country 1st ?

What will Obama solve by not being at the senate ?

Seriously, the debate is 2nd fiddle to something of this magnitude. The debate can happen next week if need to be.

As much as I want to see the debate, have been looking forward to them, it can wait another week or a few days.

Guru
09-24-2008, 03:33 PM

Personally, I don't care either way, as long as they're both there to do the job they were elected for.
FYP

patteeu
09-24-2008, 03:36 PM

I know Cindy abused pills, but was she an IV drug abuser? Or is this your way of Obamanizing the issue by pushing beyond the truth and simply fabricating a better story?

ROYC75
http://blogs.abcnews.com/

Sounds like Reid is in trouble of having his spotlight taken away from him.......

Just get the problem solved ...... that's all. But as usual, they can't come together, so McCain wants to reach across the aisles and help find a solution...... Does anybody know if Obama will be "PRESENT" ?

dirk digler
Apparently Americans think McCain's idea is stupid

SurveyUSA has just completed a snap poll on response (http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportUC.aspx?g=54d651a7-a62b-4420-bb32-9dd6b2df8c02) to John McCain's request to cancel or postpone the presidential debate.
Several questions. But two key ones.

What to do about debates?
Hold as Scheduled 50%
Hold with Econ Focus 36%
Postpone 10%

Suspend Campaigns?
Suspend 14%
Continue 31%
Refocus on Fin. Crisis 48%

Would canceling the debates be good for America? 14% say yes.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
I know Cindy abused pills, but was she an IV drug abuser? Or is this your way of Obamanizing the issue by pushing beyond the truth and simply fabricating a better story?

I was obviously kidding

Cannibal
09-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Sounds like Reid is in trouble of having his spotlight taken away from him.......

Just get the problem solved ...... that's all. But as usual, they can't come together, so McCain wants to reach across the aisles and help find a solution...... Does anybody know if Obama will be "PRESENT" ?

McCain wants to do nothing of the sort. You prove yourself to be more dense day by day. McCain sees the writing on the wall and he's mixing things up, just like he did with the selection of Palin and it is backfiring just like his selection of Palin. You sure seem to have your head up your ass.

tiptap
09-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Weren't we at war last cycle and yet no one headed for Iraq and suspended their campaign for President.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2008, 03:42 PM
McCain wants to do nothing of the sort. You prove yourself to be more dense day by day. McCain sees the writing on the wall and he's mixing things up, just like he did with the selection of Palin and it is backfiring just like his selection of Palin. You sure seem to have your head up your ass.

Is there an echo in here?

ROYC75
09-24-2008, 03:43 PM

I think McCain should have hired several of you libs around here to be his spokesman, you seem to know him better than he knows himself.:rolleyes:

Obama may win, but if McCain wins, can you say that you had your head up your ass ?

redbrian
09-24-2008, 03:44 PM
NEW YORK (AP) Republican John McCain said Wednesday he is directing his staff to work with Democrat Barack Obama's campaign and the presidential debate commission to delay Friday's debate because of the economic crisis.

In a statement, McCain said he will stop campaigning after addressing former President Clinton's Global Initiative session on Thursday and return to Washington to focus on the nation's financial problems.

McCain said he wants President Bush to convene a leadership meeting in Washington that would include him and Obama.

"It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the administration's proposal,'' McCain said. "I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.''

McCain said if Congress does not pass legislation to address the crisis, credit will dry up, people will no longer be able to buy homes, life savings will be at stake and businesses will not have enough money.

"If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted,'' McCain said. "We cannot allow this to happen.''

McCain said he has spoken to Obama about his plans and asked the Democratic presidential nominee to join him.

The Obama campaign said Obama had called McCain around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible. McCain called back six hours later and agreed to the idea of the statement, the Obama campaign said. McCain's statement was issued to the media a few minutes later.

"We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved,'' McCain said. "I am confident that before the markets open on Monday we can achieve consensus on legislation that will stabilize our financial markets, protect taxpayers and homeowners, and earn the confidence of the American people. All we must do to achieve this is temporarily set politics aside, and I am committed to doing so.''

Cannibal
09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I think McCain should have hired several of you libs around here to be his spokesman, you seem to know him better than he knows himself.:rolleyes:

Obama may win, but if McCain wins, can you say that you had your head up your ass ?

Let's just be honest here and call it for what it is. A political maneuver.

He most certainly did not propose postponing the debate for the help he could provide in sorting out the financial mess. He barely knows anything about the economy as he's already proven. It was only a week ago that he said the "fundenmentals" of the economy are strong, then three days later, the entire enconomy threatens to crumble into dust. Get real here please.

Alphaman
09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Obama has rejected the delay to the debate stating:

“This is exactly the time when the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible for dealing with this mess,” Obama told reporters in Clearwater, Fla. ...“It’s going to be part of the president’s job to be able to deal with more than one thing at once.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26872907/

Programmer
09-24-2008, 03:52 PM

He most certainly did not propose postponing the debate for the help he could provide in sorting out the financial mess. He barely knows anything about the economy as he's already proven. It was only a week ago that he said the "fundenmentals" of the economy are strong, then three days later, the entire enconomy threatens to crumble into dust. Get real here please.

As I see it the fundamentals of the economy are strong but the actual status and possibly survival of the country lies within how the government works out the situation.

The debate is a non-issue if the country defaults financially. Neither candidate should turn their back on the situation and "go on as if nothing important is at risk".

Each American is going to see this in a different light, but in the end the issue is what is best for the country, not what is best for the upcoming election.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey dumbass Roy...COUNTRY FIRST!!

The McCain campaign's new urgency about the financial crisis didn't entirely clear his schedule this morning.
My colleague Amie Parnes reports that he made it to his scheduled morning meeting with Lady Lynn de Rothschild, a Clinton backer who recently came out in support of him.
All while Obama was waiting by the phone for a returned call.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM

I am not sure what a fundenmental is but if you meant fudamentals do have any idea what he was talking about?

Alphaman
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
What's funny to me is the spin put on by the Obama camp and the McCain camp on this board. If Obama had called for a delay in the debate, the McCain people on this board would be saying it was a ploy or gamesmanship.

ROFL

tiptap
09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
OK lets have the debate in broadcast Senate Chambers.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
What's funny to me is the spin put on by the Obama camp and the McCain camp on this board. If Obama had called for a delay in the debate, the McCain people on this board would be saying it was a ploy or gamesmanship.

ROFL

I don't give a shit if they ever debate. Why? There are no more true debates there is just a little question and answer session

BucEyedPea
09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
debates are scripted...audience is screened....etc.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey cannibal, you still out there or are you pulling a jettio?

kcfanintitanhell
09-24-2008, 04:04 PM

"Hey, Karl, this is John. Hey man, I am in way over my head in this debate with the latest developments, I need some advice."

Guru
09-24-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't give a shit if they ever debate. Why? There are no more true debates there is just a little question and answer session
Can't disagree with that. I still like to have debates. I prefer the townhall format but even those are becoming scripted.

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Wow McCain cares so much about the country he was doing a taped interview with Katie Couric today. Why isn't he in Washington fixing the economy!1!!111!

ChiTown
09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
This dude is 72 years old and nobody taught him how to be a man. That is pathetic.

I don't know. He's a war vet, so he's certainly eligible for a piece of pie.........

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 04:08 PM
As I see it the fundamentals of the economy are strong

What are those fundamentals? List them.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Since the angry cannibal seagull posted and you asked the fundamentals he was refering to I believe are these. The economy outside of housing, autos and financials is remarkably strong. In the second quarter of 2008, most sectors of the economy reported strong earnings growth and GDP grew 3.3% in the second quarter (a large improvement over first quarter GDP growth of 0.9%).

Programmer
09-24-2008, 04:20 PM

You feel differently so the fundamentals are beyond your ability to understand.

Tell me why the fundamentals do not fit with your definition of soundness.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
You feel differently so the fundamentals are beyond your ability to understand.

Tell me why the fundamentals do not fit with your definition of soundness.

Answer the ******ing question, you f**cking schmuck. You pull this garbage everytime you say something retarded and get called out on it.

You said the fundamentals of the economy are strong. What are those fundamentals? Just answer. It's not a hard question.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 04:26 PM
The economy outside of housing, autos and financials is remarkably strong.

Yes, outside of those fundamentals of our economy, the fundamentals of our economy are strong. LMAO

Did you type that with a straight face?

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Letterman mocks McCain cancellation

Per Drudge, some brutal late night shots at McCain, who cancelled on Letterman tonight:

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sarah Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Letterman_mocks_McCain_cancellation.html?showall

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes, outside of those fundamentals of our economy, the fundamentals of our economy are strong. LMAO

Did you type that with a straight face?

So you think the bubble created by financials in real estate and autos are the only part of our economy? This is why I don't go down this road here. The point is the whole economy which you think are only financials apparently are not failing they are actually doing good. The resources we have in this country are amazing which is why it is so embarrassing to let the corruption get us to this point.

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
McCain screws the south. (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/ole-miss-offici.html)

Ole Miss Official Says Debate Cancellation Would be 'Devastating'
Email

September 24, 2008 4:14 PM

ABC News' Tahman Bradley Reports: A senior University of Mississippi official reacted Wednesday to the news that Sen. John McCain R-Ariz., wants to postpone Friday's presidential debate, saying that such a move would be "devastating" for the university which has already invested millions in preparation for the debate.

Andrew Mullins, special assistant to university Chancellor Robert Khayat, told ABC News that the Ole Miss campus has been transformed to accommodate the candidates and the press. Road blocks are in place on campus and in the community and the debate television set for the candidates has already been constructed. He said the university has spent roughly five and half million dollars getting ready for the debate.

Mullins also noted that if the Commission on Presidential Debates asks the campus to hold the debate at a later date, he is not sure the university would be able to accommodate them.

"It's huge. You cannot just say that you're not going to do this thing," Mullins said. "I don't have any idea whether we do the debate" at a later date. "(We) probably wouldn't do it."

Calcountry
09-24-2008, 04:41 PM
There is nothing in the constitution that says we have to have debates. Frankly, we have been debating about nothing for 2 years now. How come, Barack Hussein didn't offer a solution to this mess after Bear Stearns mess? Isn't he a fuggin leader? Isn't he the best damn dude since sliced toast to come down the turnpike?

Now, they are all in the middle of one huge shit sandwich that has a heck of a lot more Democrats finger prints on it than Republicans.

Who pushed the subprime loans in the first place. Who exerted influence on faggie mae and daddy mac to make teasers to peopole who wouldn't be able to refinance them in 6 months when they reset?

Who insisted that there be a house in everyones pot, and a chicken in their garage?

Where in the heck did we all get to the point that we are entitled to these things?

In the meantime, the car accident happened, the people in the mess are bleeding. Are we going to sit around and point fingers and lay blame, or are we going to try to salvage what is left of the American economy?

Programmer
09-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Answer the ******ing question, you f**cking schmuck. You pull this garbage everytime you say something retarded and get called out on it.

You said the fundamentals of the economy are strong. What are those fundamentals? Just answer. It's not a hard question.

What is retarded about the country has been operating for the past 75 years with safeguards against being bankrupt and action is being taken?

You obviously do not have any intent of listening to what the fundamentals of the economy are all about.

Besides, Big Daddy provided some pretty accurate information. I could just copy and paste those, but I'm sure you will continue with the scathing attack on me.

I don't really care if you want an answer to a useless question. I do find it overly amusing that you are so dense that you don't understand the fundamentals of the financial condition of the U.S.

ROFL

alnorth
09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Why do people keep saying that McCain is trying to duck questions about the economy? The format for this debate was decided long ago, and it is supposed to be about foreign policy, supposedly McCain's strongest point and best chance to make Obama appear clueless.

The debate over domestic issues and the economy is going to be the 3rd and final debate. Obama insisted on it being the last debate, presumably because he thinks its his strongest issue and wants that to be the last topic the public hears.

Politically this is a risky move and not necessary because I think McCain was likely going to gain ground from this debate. We are cynical because we are political nerds, but I actually think, for good bad or indifferent, McCain is being genuine here.

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Halt the campaign? Stop advertising? Wow.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-24-mccain-debate_N.htm

NEW YORK — The fate of Friday's planned presidential debate between Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama was thrown in the air Wednesday, after McCain called for delaying the session so the two could concentrate on resolving the nation's financial crisis. Obama said he wants the debate to go on.

McCain will not participate in the debate unless a deal is reached on a bailout measure for financial markets, close adviser Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told USA TODAY. At a news conference, Obama said the debate was more important than ever.

"It's my belief that this is exactly the time that the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible for dealing with this mess, and I think that it is going to be part of the president's job to deal with more than one thing at once," he said.

But McCain said he would return to Washington on Thursday and had asked President Bush to convene a leadership meeting on the crisis that would include him and Obama.

McCain's announcement came after the two candidates held private talks about joining forces to address the Wall Street meltdown. The Obama campaign said the Democrat initiated the talks, but McCain beat Obama to the punch with the first public statement calling for the two to rise above politics in a time of crisis.

McCain said the Bush administration's plan seemed headed for defeat and a bipartisan solution was urgently needed.

"It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the administration's proposal," McCain said. "I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time."

Obama said the debate could be held and the candidates could deal with the financial crisis simultaneously.

Late Wednesday, the Commission on Presidential Debates said in a statement that it is moving forward with plans for Friday's debate. The University of Mississippi, which is set to host the event, said it too was moving ahead with preparations because it had "received no notification of any change in the timing or venue."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, the top Senate Democrat, also called for the debate to go on.

"It would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation's economy," Reid said in a statement issued by his office. "If that changes, we will call upon them. We need leadership, not a campaign photo op."

The Obama campaign said in a statement that Obama had called McCain around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible. McCain called back six hours later and agreed to the idea of the statement, the Obama campaign said. McCain's statement was issued to the media a few minutes later.

"We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved," McCain said. "I am confident that before the markets open on Monday we can achieve consensus on legislation that will stabilize our financial markets, protect taxpayers and homeowners, and earn the confidence of the American people. All we must do to achieve this is temporarily set politics aside, and I am committed to doing so."

McCain said if Congress does not pass legislation to address the crisis, credit will dry up, people will no longer be able to buy homes, life savings will be at stake and businesses will not have enough money.

"If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted," McCain said. "We cannot allow this to happen."

McCain also canceled his planned appearance Wednesday on CBS' Late Show With David Letterman program.

A senior McCain adviser, Mark Salter, said the campaign would suspend all advertising and campaign events until a workable deal is reached on the bailout proposal — but only if the Obama campaign agrees to do the same.

Obama said he last talked to McCain on Wednesday afternoon, and that the request for delaying the debate was "something he (McCain) was mulling over."

He said he talked to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson twice Wednesday. "I indicated to him that I would do everything I can to be helpful," Obama said.

Contributing: Associated Press; Kathy Kiely in Washington; Randy Lilleston in McLean, Va.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Like flies to shit, the wing tards flocked to this thread to try and spin the seized up wheel that is the McCain campaign.

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Straight Talk Express!!!!!

Not only do McCain and his VP want to avoid talking to the press, but now they're afraid of answering questions in front of the American people? Brilliant!

alnorth
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Whether it is a politically good idea or not (not judging his true intentions here), politically speaking at this point I think McCain is now committed. You just don't drop this huge bomb shell and sheepishly say "never mind" the next day.

If a deal isn't struck in congress by Friday morning then he can not show up to the debate at this point or he will appear to have been disingenuous all along, coming back only because he decided a political "trick" didn't work. If he really does mean what he said he cant care about the uncertain political consequences of what he put in motion today.

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
This is the NATIONAL SECURITY debate. McCain would love it if this were canceled, because then people would continue to assume he knows more than Obama. If the debate goes on, Obama gets a chance to show how much he knows.

Like flies to shit, the wing tards flocked to this thread to try and spin the seized up wheel that is the McCain campaign.What, you don't think Barack Hussein would try to suspend the debate if HE were running a completely ****ed up campaign and desperately trying to regain solid footing?

Jesus Christ.

alnorth
09-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Not only do McCain and his VP want to avoid talking to the press, but now they're afraid of answering questions in front of the American people? Brilliant!

About foreign policy? McCain's biggest strength and best chance to knock Obama down?

Hardly

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Like flies to shit, the wing tards flocked to this thread to try and spin the seized up wheel that is the McCain campaign.

I find it hilarious that John McCain feels that both he and Obama should skip the debate and rush back to Congress on Friday. But yet, he's out giving interviews on Wednesday to Katie Couric.

If he had the solution, why not present it, then go to the debates looking like a hero?

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
About foreign policy? McCain's biggest strength and best chance to knock Obama down?

HardlyIt's ALREADY McCain's biggest strength, because people cede that to him automatically. His best chance is to let that idea continue without giving Obama a chance to cut into it.

The fact that you're even pretending there's a chance McCain is SERIOUSLY concerned about how horrible the economy will be if he spends a day in Mississippi instead of Washington is incredibly sad.

Friendo
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

ROFL gold!

what I want to know if where is Grandstand Joe bellowing bout how this is the Patriotic thing to do.

alnorth
09-24-2008, 05:14 PM
It's ALREADY McCain's biggest strength, because people cede that to him automatically. His best chance is to let that idea continue without giving Obama a chance to cut into it.

The fact that you're even pretending there's a chance McCain is SERIOUSLY concerned about how horrible the economy will be if he spends a day in Mississippi instead of Washington is incredibly sad.

You are an incurable cynic. To you, EVERYTHING ANY politician (except maybe Ron Paul?) ever does is only for political gain, and no other reason whatsoever. No desire to serve the country to the best of your ability, no desire to make a very difficult decision that could kill you politically (Surge last year? Only one supporting it? Hello?!?).

I dont deny that many politicians are this way, but the fact that you think McCain cares only for his career at the expense of everything else despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary is frankly sad. You can say he's a good soldier and a nice man but his ideas are just wrong for this country etc, but to argue that he is not being genuine here seems silly to me.

and to only look at politics: you seriously suggest that, all things being equal, McCain skipping a debate focused on his strength and his opponent's biggest weakness, while the public is not really focused on it at all is a GOOD thing? I have no answer to that. I suppose you also think Obama should find any excuse to skip a debate about the economy. Does that not sound silly to you?

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 05:16 PM
I am not a cynic for the sake of being a cynic. McCain's campaign has been a mind-bogglingly cynical one for months, and now that they're making another desperate ploy, it's a sign of MY character flaws that I don't buy their bullshit?

I dont deny that many politicians are this way, but the fact that you think McCain cares only for his career at the expense of everything else despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary is frankly sad. You can say he's a good soldier and a nice man but his ideas are just wrong for this country etc, but to argue that he is not being genuine here seems silly to me.Yeah, because selling his soul to the people who torpedoed him in 2000 definitely wasn't an indication of just how little integrity matters to him. The Palin pandering and subsequent bunkering down, the countless ads they've run, getting into bed with the religious right after pretending to be a progressive for years to bolster his Maverick image... none of this is cynical. It's me. I am the cynical one.

alnorth
09-24-2008, 05:17 PM
ROFL gold!

what I want to know if where is Grandstand Joe bellowing bout how this is the Patriotic thing to do.

To me the reasoning is obvious. This is a rather somber and frightening time we live in this week, this is not the time to be trading jokes with a funny man in front of a cheering audience. In a crisis, a brief interview with a network anchor should always take precedence over Letterman. I would have no problem with it if Obama had done the same.

patteeu
09-24-2008, 05:17 PM
A Democrat tells ABC News that in a phone call late this afternoon, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., that it would NOT be helpful for him to come back to Washington, DC, to work on the Wall Street bailout bill.

So first Reid says there isn't going to be a bill unless McCain votes for it (to give the dems political cover and reassure them that he won't hit them over the head with it in the campaign the way they used the Iraq war) and then he doesn't want him around while it's being put together. How convenient.

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/abglyd.png

penchief
09-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Whether it is a politically good idea or not (not judging his true intentions here), politically speaking at this point I think McCain is now committed. You just don't drop this huge bomb shell and sheepishly say "never mind" the next day.

If a deal isn't struck in congress by Friday morning then he can not show up to the debate at this point or he will appear to have been disingenuous all along, coming back only because he decided a political "trick" didn't work. If he really does mean what he said he cant care about the uncertain political consequences of what he put in motion today.

It's just another gimmick to shake up the campaign because he's losing traction. Kind of like the Palin gimmick. As soon as a deal is struck he can say he "put country first" even if he didn't do anything to help.

Sadly, there will be a lot of people who will eat up the McCain spin that will inevitably come out this while ignoring the fact that he's putting politics first.

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Apparently, he was holding IMPORTANT MEETINGS about his campaign's economic crisis:

It seems that today during the time Barack Obama was waiting to hear back from Sen. McCain about their planned joint statement -- and while McCain says he was meeting with key advisors and becoming increasingly concerned about the financial crisis facing the country -- he was actually holding a special meeting with Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild, the expat international financier who once supported Hillary Clinton but now is supporting McCain because she thinks Obama is "elitist".

Friendo
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
To me the reasoning is obvious. This is a rather somber and frightening time we live in this week, this is not the time to be trading jokes with a funny man in front of a cheering audience. In a crisis, a brief interview with a network anchor should always take precedence over Letterman. I would have no problem with it if Obama had done the same.

the time for concern is about 25 years overdue-sorry but the absurdity is irresistably humorous.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM

I hear voices in my head
They council me
They understand
They talk to me.
They tell me things that I will do
They show me things I'll do to you
They talk to me, "Vote for McCain"

We got our rules and our religion
All designed to keep us safe
But when rules start getting broken
We never think to question faith
I have a voice that is my savior
Hates to love and loves to hate
I have the voice that has the knowledge
And his name is Matthew Drudge

I hear voices in my head
They council me
They understand
They talk to me
They tell me things that I will do
They show me things I'll do to you
They talk to me, "Vote for McCain"

Calcountry
09-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Obama says the debate is still on...Well, by God then we shall have it, if he says so.

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 05:32 PM
So first Reid says there isn't going to be a bill unless McCain votes for it (to give the dems political cover and reassure them that he won't hit them over the head with it in the campaign the way they used the Iraq war) and then he doesn't want him around while it's being put together. How convenient.

you ever hear of thing called a cell phone?

there is nothing about the actual process going on right now that requires the physical presence of either candidate, everyone except roy knows that...this is a simple fact...

suspending a presidential campaign is an act of desperate cowardice, it is unworthy of our country....it is embarrassing...

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 05:34 PM
you ever hear of thing called a cell phone?Videoconferencing actually exists nowadays, y'know. I'm sure there are some facilities at Mississippi that could serve as a place to do SERIOUS BIDNESSS.

Taco John
09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
McCain is getting killed in the polls. No doubt, he is fearful of having to answer questions about the economy this week.

Programmer
09-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Obama says the debate is still on...So, who is Obama going to debate?

penchief
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
This actually pretty amazing.

Yesterday, McCain says in public that the democrats should not behave as if his vote matters. And today he wants to act like nothing's going to get done unless he swoops in to save the day?

Which McCain do his supporters believe? And how does he get away with being so schizo?

It sounds like this thing is on it's way to getting done soon without his or Obama's help. Apparently the administration is compromising on oversight, taxpayer protections, and homeowner protections. But watch McCain try to take credit for a deal by citing his stunt as evidence that he put country first.

penchief
So, who is Obama going to debate?

According to Donger, Barack Hussein.

Whoever that is.

Ultra Peanut
So, who is Obama going to debate?Obama can do a Q&A at the very least, if McCain's not going to show up.

Cannibal
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Since the angry cannibal seagull posted and you asked the fundamentals he was refering to I believe are these. The economy outside of housing, autos and financials is remarkably strong. In the second quarter of 2008, most sectors of the economy reported strong earnings growth and GDP grew 3.3% in the second quarter (a large improvement over first quarter GDP growth of 0.9%).

Is that why McCain, the very next day reversed himself on his "fundementals" quote? He knows jack shit about the economy, he's proved it time and time again and his poll numbers are starting to reflect that.

patteeu
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
you ever hear of thing called a cell phone?

there is nothing about the actual process going on right now that requires the physical presence of either candidate, everyone except roy knows that...this is a simple fact...

suspending a presidential campaign is an act of desperate cowardice, it is unworthy of our country....it is embarrassing...

I would rather have McCain debating Obama than have either of them involved in figuring out what to do about the financial situation. But this is a silly controversy all the way around. There are good reasons to postpone/cancel the debate and there are good reasons not to. Both candidates are playing this for whatever political advantage they can get. It's all of trivial importance in every reality except the purely political one.

banyon
09-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Well I don't recommend that he stand up there a la Samuel Beckett.

Rather something of a statement like "I am ready and prepared to discuss these issues that are important to the American People and my opponent has decided not to show up."

penchief
09-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Is that why McCain, the very next day reversed himself on his "fundementals" quote? He knows jack shit about the economy, he's proved it time and time again and his poll numbers are starting to reflect that.

He reversed himself big time on this very topic. Yesterday when he took that question about how he would vote if passage depended on his vote, he answered it very inadequately. He implied that democrats should get off their hands and vote because there was a crisis going on and his vote shouldn't matter to them. Now today, he's acting like nothing's going to get done unless he makes it happen.

I believe this stunt was a reaction to how stupid he looked trying to answer that question yesterday.

Cannibal
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
He reversed himself big time on this very topic. Yesterday when he took that question about how he would vote if passage depended on his vote, he answered it very inadequately. He implied that democrats should get off their hands and vote because there was a crisis going on and his vote shouldn't matter to them. Now today, he's acting like nothing's going to get done unless he makes it happen.

I believe this stunt was a reaction to how stupid he looked trying to answer that question yesterday.

Yeah, he doesn't want to commit to a yes or no vote on the proposed bailout, but he's going to go into Washington and save the day... just with his presence. ROFL

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I would rather have McCain debating Obama than have either of them involved in figuring out what to do about the financial situation. But this is a silly controversy all the way around. There are good reasons to postpone/cancel the debate and there are good reasons not to. Both candidates are playing this for whatever political advantage they can get. It's all of trivial importance in every reality except the purely political one.

um, no

Obama is going to the pre-scheduled debate as part of the campaign for the President of the US...

McCain isn't....

this is unprecedented, indefensible, and cowardly...

there is nothing happening in DC that requires his presence...everyone knows that....not even you are dishonest enough to claim otherwise...

disrespectful and embarrassing

VAChief
09-24-2008, 05:57 PM
All this talk about McCain pulling out of the debate at the last minute has made me hungry!

VAChief
09-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Well I don't recommend that he stand up there a la Samuel Beckett.

Rather something of a statement like "I am ready and prepared to discuss these issues that are important to the American People and my opponent has decided not to show up."

Why not have Palin stand in for him? I mean she obviously is prepared to be CINC. What better way to prove it.

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 06:01 PM
can anyone defending this - roy, patteau - explain why he needs to be in DC and what he will be doing?

please be specific....thanks

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Why not have Palin stand in for him? I mean she obviously is prepared to be CINC. What better way to prove it.

Watching Palin fill in for him during a foreign policy debate would probably rank as one of the more hilarious things ever recorded on network television.

McCain's campaign isn't that stupid though.

the Talking Can
09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Watching Palin fill in for him during a foreign policy debate would probably rank as one of the more hilarious things ever recorded on network television.

McCain's campaign isn't that stupid though.

it would look like this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RJ
09-24-2008, 06:08 PM

That's a fine idea. We know she'll show up cause she obviously doesn't believe in pulling out.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't believe he wants to suspend the debate...

I believe he wanted to say he did, let Obama say the debate is more important, and then use it against him in ads and the debate itself.

Cannibal
09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't believe he wants to suspend the debate...

I believe he wanted to say he did, let Obama say the debate is more important, and then use it against him in ads and the debate itself.

Doing all of that and actually suspending his campaign so that he could make a TV ad? Sounds rather far fetched to me. It's risky enough just acting like he's doing it to actually try to help solve the problem. But doing to create a TV ad, it would crush his campaign.

Iowanian
09-24-2008, 06:17 PM
McCain is a dipshit. He's just not as much of a dipshit as Hoperah whose politics are the polar opposite of mine on most issues.

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 06:24 PM
BE QUIET YOU GUYS, John is trying to concentrate!

http://i35.tinypic.com/5oxkdi.gif

NCarlsCorner2
09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Dick Morris said that this was a brilliant move by McCain.

the Talking Can
can anyone defending this - roy, patteau - explain why he needs to be in DC and what he will be doing?

please be specific....thanks

anyone?

Programmer
This actually pretty amazing.

Yesterday, McCain says in public that the democrats should not behave as if his vote matters. And today he wants to act like nothing's going to get done unless he swoops in to save the day?

Which McCain do his supporters believe? And how does he get away with being so schizo?

It sounds like this thing is on it's way to getting done soon without his or Obama's help. Apparently the administration is compromising on oversight, taxpayer protections, and homeowner protections. But watch McCain try to take credit for a deal by citing his stunt as evidence that he put country first.

Based on what was said on the evening news it's not about the vote but it's all about getting the deal arranged so it is palatable to everyone concerned. He isn't advocating that he is the only one that can work the deal, he is saying that a mix of leading republicans and leading democrats be called. Both house and senate.

I read that as he is doing what is best for the country at this particular point in time.

I do find it interesting to hear how many different twists the democrats are putting on the issue to make their point.

the Talking Can[/b]]
can anyone defending this - roy, patteau - explain why he needs to be in DC and what he will be doing? please be specific....thanks

patteeu
09-24-2008, 06:33 PM
um, no

Obama is going to the pre-scheduled debate as part of the campaign for the President of the US...

McCain isn't....

this is unprecedented, indefensible, and cowardly...

there is nothing happening in DC that requires his presence...everyone knows that....not even you are dishonest enough to claim otherwise...

disrespectful and embarrassing

I don't see it that way, but I'm enjoying your performance.

Sully
09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
What is Obama's ?

Why doesn't Obama put the crisis and the country 1st ?

What will Obama solve by not being at the senate ?

Seriously, the debate is 2nd fiddle to something of this magnitude. The debate can happen next week if need to be.

As much as I want to see the debate, have been looking forward to them, it can wait another week or a few days.

How cute. You are actually starting to use the McCain bumper sticker in your "logic."

Really...that's precious...

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Which is tantamount to bronzing its status as "retarded".

Sully
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I am not sure what a fundenmental is but if you meant fudamentals do have any idea what he was talking about?

Psst...

While correcting him for spelling "fundamentals" incorrectly... you spelled "fundamentals" incorrectly...

Might wanna change that!:hmmm:

Friendo
09-24-2008, 06:38 PM

indeed--because it will take something brilliant to beat Hil, er, nevermind.