PDA

View Full Version : Elections Why McCain might have wanted to postpone the debate.

Direckshun
09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
The plot thickens.

According to the McCain camp, they want to address the economic situation first.

If they're successful in postponing, the McCain campaign has substituting in the time/place of the VP debate on October 2nd with the McCain/Obama debate.

What happens to the VP debate, then?

Well... the McCain campaign said it would be postponed to a time to be announced later where this first debate was to take place, but they did not provide a date.

This is just getting weird.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/24/mccain-camp-to-propose-postponing-vp-debate/

September 24, 2008

McCain camp to propose postponing VP debate

(CNN) McCain supporter Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there's no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.

In this scenario, the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin would be rescheduled for a date yet to be determined, and take place in Oxford, Mississippi, currently slated to be the site of the first presidential faceoff this Friday.

Graham says the McCain camp is well aware of the position of the Obama campaign and the debate commission that the debate should go on as planned but both he and another senior McCain adviser insist the Republican nominee will not go to the debate Friday if there's no deal on the bailout.

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2008, 06:07 PM
They could, you know, sub in the VP debate on Friday. I'm sure a Vice Presidential candidate is ready to fill in for the Presidential candidate if need be, right?

Direckshun
09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
They could, you know, sub in the VP debate on Friday. I'm sure a Vice Presidential candidate is ready to fill in for the Presidential candidate if need be, right?

ROFL

dirk digler
09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
LMAO

Now the real story comes out.

HolmeZz
09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I think today might be the day McCain lost the election.

banyon
09-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Maybe Obama should just take the next comer. Bob Barr, Nader?

Thig Lyfe
09-24-2008, 11:03 PM

Dat's some grade-A quality shit right there.

Mecca
09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Sarah Palin has to be protected like she's a child, really does she have special needs?

SBK
09-25-2008, 12:45 AM
McCain is trying to put his "America First" thing way out front, but it's gonna blow up in his face. Stupid move IMO.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Maybe Obama should just take the next comer. Bob Barr, Nader?

Barr? not so much but Nader, Baldwyn and Mckinney yes.

kstater
09-25-2008, 04:03 AM
I'm going to liken this campaign season to a football game. All McCain needed to do was play Hermball and keep it close till the end. He did that for the first half(primary's and conventions) he needed to just be conservative and keep it close untill the 4th quarter(the debates). Instead, he comes out in the middle of the 3rd and starts throwing up hail mary's. He got picked off, I think the polls are going to show a big swing to Obama this week. Sure, he might get some garbage time points during the debates, but it's going to be to little at the end.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 04:11 AM
I don't recall a more weak campaign move than what John McCain is doing right now. After being in DC for a few decades, he decides he wants to finally do something in the midst of his own presidential campaign. How can this even be defended? Imagine if Reagan would've pleaded not to debate Carter in 1980 because of the Iran hostages or if Bob Dole would have stayed in the Senate and said, "Bob Dole's busy, you go on without me Bill."

If you want to be a Senator, be a Senator. If you want to be President, you run for it even when you're losing. If you want to do something about the economy, you should've done it when you had decades to work on it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2008, 04:26 AM
I don't recall a more weak campaign move than what John McCain is doing right now. After being in DC for a few decades, he decides he wants to finally do something in the midst of his own presidential campaign. How can this even be defended? Imagine if Reagan would've pleaded not to debate Carter in 1980 because of the Iran hostages or if Bob Dole would have stayed in the Senate and said, "Bob Dole's busy, you go on without me Bill."

If you want to be a Senator, be a Senator. If you want to be President, you run for it even when you're losing. If you want to do something about the economy, you should've done it when you had decades to work on it.

Oh Reagan was definitely postponing something during the 1980 debates in relation to Iran...

Mecca
09-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Oh Reagan was definitely postponing something during the 1980 debates in relation to Iran...

I find it pretty amusing that the guy the Republicans point to as one of their great presidents is a guy who appeared to have Alzheimer's for a good portion of his presidency.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2008, 04:38 AM
I find it pretty amusing that the guy the Republicans point to as one of their great presidents is a guy who appeared to have Alzheimer's for a good portion of his presidency.

Well, there's that. What I was referring to is speculation (not 100% fact, but a pretty strong assertion) that GHW Bush went to Paris in 1980 to negotiate with the Iranians and get them to delay releasing the hostages until after the election in order to hurt the Carter campaign.

Pretty much the original "October Surprise"

Mecca
09-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Well, there's that. What I was referring to is speculation (not 100% fact, but a pretty strong assertion) that GHW Bush went to Paris in 1980 to negotiate with the Iranians and get them to delay releasing the hostages until after the election in order to hurt the Carter campaign.

Pretty much the original "October Surprise"

Ah yea I didn't even think about that actually, good call.

Seeing as we're both wrestling fans doesn't it feel like Vince Russo is running McCain's campaign?

I also pictured this today when I heard about this...

Jonny Mac with the heel heat.. "Comeon, Ba Rock... get in the ring... get in the ring.. what's stopping you.. I'll rip you apart in the debates.."

Obama-When The (er.. Ba) Rock steps into the ring..

McCain responds-"I'll rip you apart.. just not now... see you at the Pay Per View.. (the election)..

Jonny Mac with the Zybysko level stalling

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Ah yea I didn't even think about that actually, good call.

Seeing as we're both wrestling fans doesn't it feel like Vince Russo is running McCain's campaign?

I also pictured this today when I heard about this...

Jonny Mac with the heel heat.. "Comeon, Ba Rock... get in the ring... get in the ring.. what's stopping you.. I'll rip you apart in the debates.."

Obama-When The (er.. Ba) Rock steps into the ring..

McCain responds-"I'll rip you apart.. just not now... see you at the Pay Per View.. (the election)..

Jonny Mac with the Zybysko level stalling

You've got to admit, the McCain campaign is basically WCW circa 2000. The Palin choice is the equivalent of Russo putting the strap on David Arquette.

Then again, maybe Palin is just a worked shoot.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Ok that is really something that we had the same thought.

Ultra Peanut
09-25-2008, 05:37 AM
if Bob Dole would have stayed in the Senate and said, "Bob Dole's busy, you go on without me Bill."That wouldn't have made much of a difference, actually.