PDA

View Full Version : General Politics I'm sure this will get some interesting responses, Slacker Uprising

Mecca
09-25-2008, 05:37 AM
http://slackeruprising.com/

ABOUT SLACKER UPRISING

As you may have heard, I've decided to make my new film, "Slacker Uprising," available for free to everyone in the United States and Canada. It is the first time ever that a major feature-length film is debuting as a free download on the internet -- legally. I am doing this for two reasons:

1. Next year it will be 20 years since my first film, "Roger & Me," so I'd like to give those of you who've supported my work over the years a thank you gift in the form of a brand new movie; and

2. I hope the release and wide distribution of this new movie will help to bring out millions of young and new voters on November 4th.

"Slacker Uprising" takes place in the wake of "Fahrenheit 9/11," during the run-up to the 2004 election, as I traveled for 42 days across America, visiting 62 cities in a failed attempt to remove George W. Bush from office. My goal was to help turn out a record number of young voters and others who had never voted before. (That part was a success. Young adults voted in greater numbers than in any election since 18-year-olds were given the right to vote. And the youth vote was the only age group that John Kerry won.)

What I encountered during the tour and the filming was both inspiring and frightening, so I thought, hey, this might make for a funny and enlightening movie! Each night, thousands would show up to volunteer in the Slacker Army against Bush. This drove local Republicans nuts. In one state they tried to have me arrested. At two colleges, rich donors offered to donate more money to the college if they would ban me from campus. Nearly a half-dozen universities kept the Slacker Uprising tour off their campuses. But there was no stopping this movement. By the time we got to Florida, 16,000 people a night were showing up.

It was clear that young people were the ones who were going to save the day -- just as they are in this year's election.

You can now sign up to stream, download, or burn a DVD of "Slacker Uprising," free of charge. The distribution is being organized by Robert Greenwald's Brave New Films (they're the great people behind "OUTFOXED: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism" and "WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price").

You have my blanket permission to share the movie with your friends, to set up screenings in your communities or theaters, to show it on your campuses -- all at no charge. I encourage you to rally voters with it, to raise funds for your favorite candidates, to air it on your local cable access channels or web broadcasts. You can also click here to request a free DVD of "Slacker Uprising" for your school or university library.

Thanks again for coming to my movies all these years. It's meant a lot to me. I feel very privileged and blessed, and I am honored to be in this "virtual" community with you as we try to reclaim our beloved country.

Yours,

Michael Moore

Guru
09-25-2008, 05:49 AM
As long as these kids (slackers) understand who they are voting for and why they are voting. I hope to God they are not voting for a candidate just because somebody told them to. I know this does not apply to all but it does to some.

Friendo
09-25-2008, 05:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_in_the_Air_(song)

Programmer
09-25-2008, 05:55 AM
As long as these kids (slackers) understand who they are voting for and why they are voting. I hope to God they are not voting for a candidate just because somebody told them to. I know this does not apply to all but it does to some.

Unfortunately it applies to many more than you would ever consider. Today's youth/slackers tend to believe what they see on the internet without question. Check out the number of people here that believe the things about Obama and McCain just because they have read them on a bulletin board or because they have received an chain email.

Little research is done, even by those here that claim to be up to speed on the candidates and post many links to prove their point. They have linked to biased websites because they say what they want to hear.

chagrin
09-25-2008, 06:02 AM

of course they don't

Mecca
09-25-2008, 06:06 AM
of course they don't

There are older people that vote that have no information they just vote in line with how their parents did.

Programmer
09-25-2008, 06:40 AM
There are older people that vote that have no information they just vote in line with how their parents did.

That may be true to an extent, but I'd venture that those that attended many of our universities across the nation were converted to the liberal beliefs of the administration of the university. Of my friends that graduated from KU that grew up in republican families virtually all of them are now registered democrats.

If it were the education factor that was prevalent in making them convert it would be useless to register at a "liberal" university. The problem is the professors and staff tend to be liberal and push their agenda.

tiptap
09-25-2008, 06:49 AM
And that has nothing to do with a chance to investigate the options themselves and choose.

patteeu
09-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Heaven help us if the slacker generation determines the course of our nation.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 08:42 AM

Don't doubt the power of the slackers.

J Diddy
09-25-2008, 08:43 AM

they were gonna.....

Friendo
09-25-2008, 08:46 AM
they were gonna.....

...be productive and steward this nation well like the suits.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Well I was gonna vote but I didn't wake up till 2 in the afternoon then I played some NCAA football, got stoned ate a pizza and before I knew it the day was over.

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I assume he's talking about the baby boomers.

Mecca
09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I assume he's talking about the baby boomers.

You mean people my age or the parents of that generation?

RJ
09-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Damn dude, all this crap going on around us will be their problems soon enough. It's only right they get involved now.

Iowanian
09-25-2008, 09:56 AM
At least this time, The hamburgler will know exactly why no reasonable people are BUYING his bullshit.

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2008, 09:57 AM
You mean people my age or the parents of that generation?

Baby Boomers. Your profile says you were born in the 80's, so baby boomer would probably be your parent's generation.

patteeu
09-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Damn dude, all this crap going on around us will be their problems soon enough. It's only right they get involved now.

You must not have much exposure to the slackers that I've been exposed to.

RJ
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
You must not have much exposure to the slackers that I've been exposed to.

Do you mean in the movies or in real life?

patteeu
09-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Do you mean in the movies or in real life?

Why would I mean in the movies?

DaKCMan AP
09-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I hope to God they are not voting for a candidate just because somebody told them to. I know this does not apply to all but it does to some.

You mean, like, the 25% of the people who think the country is heading in the right direction? Or those who believe Obama is a Muslim? Yeah, it's only the youth who don't know what they're voting about..

Taco John
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Indeed:

http://www.funfacts.com.au/images/george-w-bush.jpg

SNR
09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I KNEW this would happen on this thread! Somebody posts, "slackers aren't critically thinking about their vote, they're just doing it because it's cool to hate the current establishment."

Then somebody says, "you mean like their parents who don't know any better why they vote?"

You're only ENCOURAGING this bullshit voting, people! You're raising ANOTHER generation to vote based on someone else's word, not on their own political views.

Brock
09-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Indeed:

Well, he's a boomer, but they're just as bad.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Indeed:

ROFL

RJ
09-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Why would I mean in the movies?

Because you're almost as old as me. Personally, I don't have a lot of dealings with people in their early 20's, though you certainly might. Most of what I know about that age group comes from what I read........which isn't all good, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't vote.

StcChief
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Don't doubt the power of the slackers.
they can't vote on Internet or sign up to vote on the internet and won't leave their chair infront of the internet so their vote is where?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Nice to see all you dickbags who decried people of ageism for worrying about the advanced years of McCain deriding our generation en masse due to the years when we were born.

Then again, I'm sure it's easy to be full of shit when you were part of the <del>Hitler</del> Reagan Youth.

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Nice to see all you dickbags who decried people of ageism for worrying about the advanced years of McCain deriding our generation en masse due to the years when we were born.

Then again, I'm sure it's easy to be full of shit when you were part of the <DEL>Hitler</DEL> Reagan Youth.

I don' really understand what your are talkng about Terrorist.org Jenkins. I just wish you clowns out there would quit using Nazi Germany and Hitler to promote your ridiculous camparisons. You guys have no idea what the 3rd Reich was like. It's probably best that you keep your mouth shut about it. Either way, you can't sell you ideas with that garbage, and you never will.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
I don' really understand what your are talkng about Terrorist.org Jenkins. I just wish you clowns out there would quit using Nazi Germany and Hitler to promote your ridiculous camparisons. You guys have no idea what the 3rd Reich was like. It's probably best that you keep your mouth shut about it. Either way, you can't sell you ideas with that garbage, and you never will.

Of course you don't understand what I'm talking about because I'm going off your preprogrammed script.

Sadly, the Third Reich isn't all that of an unthinkable human anomaly. Normal people, not psychopaths, were the agents of much of the horror because they followed orders and didn't ask questions. The small little cogs in the wheel were the ones who helped organize the bureaucracy and the machinery of extermination.

Following a doctrine of corporatism and a neo-conservative idea of American hegemony doesn't make you Nazi's, it just means that you are subject to the same kind of indoctrination that citizens of all successful authoritarian movements are. It's the ruthless efficiency of the banality of evil. Now, please continue typing from your desk job while you accuse us of laziness and inefficiency.

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Of course you don't understand what I'm talking about because I'm going off your preprogrammed script.

Sadly, the Third Reich isn't all that of an unthinkable human anomaly. Normal people, not psychopaths, were the agents of much of the horror because they followed orders and didn't ask questions. The small little cogs in the wheel were the ones who helped organize the bureaucracy and the machinery of extermination.

Following a doctrine of corporatism and a neo-conservative idea of American hegemony doesn't make you Nazi's, it just means that you are subject to the same kind of indoctrination that citizens of all successful authoritarian movements are. It's the ruthless efficiency of the banality of evil. Now, please continue typing from your desk job while you accuse us of laziness and inefficiency.

That's a bunch of garbage. It was the psychopaths, people followed orders because they would be killed. Our society in no way reflects that of the third reich. I am sure you can find areas where various things intersect, but the idea that the people in our governemnt are like Nazi's is born of little man syndrome. You have no effing idea what it was like living there in that time. Quit insulting the people that did. Effing clowns.

Pitt Gorilla
09-25-2008, 02:10 PM
That may be true to an extent, but I'd venture that those that attended many of our universities across the nation were converted to the liberal beliefs of the administration of the university. Of my friends that graduated from KU that grew up in republican families virtually all of them are now registered democrats.

If it were the education factor that was prevalent in making them convert it would be useless to register at a "liberal" university. The problem is the professors and staff tend to be liberal and push their agenda.ROFL Amazing ignorance.

patteeu
09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Because you're almost as old as me. Personally, I don't have a lot of dealings with people in their early 20's, though you certainly might. Most of what I know about that age group comes from what I read........which isn't all good, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't vote.

Ok, no, I don't get it from the movies then.

WilliamTheIrish
09-25-2008, 02:56 PM
If you're a slacker, why would you put forth the effort to 'uprise'?

J Diddy
09-25-2008, 02:58 PM
you have to get some excercise

Brock
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Free phish concert.

WilliamTheIrish
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Free phish concert.

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2008, 05:27 PM
That's a bunch of garbage. It was the psychopaths, people followed orders because they would be killed. Our society in no way reflects that of the third reich. I am sure you can find areas where various things intersect, but the idea that the people in our governemnt are like Nazi's is born of little man syndrome. You have no effing idea what it was like living there in that time. Quit insulting the people that did. Effing clowns.

You have no idea who Adolph Eichmann was, do you?

Have you ever heard of the Milgram Experiment? The Stanford Prison Experiment?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You know what happened if Nazis refused to shoot Jews en masse? Someone else did it instead. In fact, if someone wanted to leave the SS, all they had to do is fill out a transfer form.

You should also look up IBM's role in orchestrating the efficiency of the holocaust through their punchcard system, which was wholly proprietary. Germany had to order new punch cards every 6 weeks because they went through them so quickly. I suppose Thomas Watson was a psychopath as well, then.

Democratic societies control behavior just like totalitarian states do, they just do it in different manners. Many totalitarian states do it at the point of a stick. Democratic societies do it through thought control in the media and the control of what is and isn't debated through the media.

You also might want to read Eichmann in Jerusalem, but that would require something beyond your obvious intellectual laziness.

* What stuck in the minds of these men who had become murderers was simply the notion of being involved in something historic, grandiose, unique ("a great task that occurs once in two thousand years"), which must therefore be difficult to bear. This was important, because the murderers were not sadists or killers by nature; on the contrary, a systematic effort was made to weed out all those who derived physical pleasure from what they did. The troops of the Einsatzgruppen had been drafted from the Armed S.S., a military unit with hardly more crimes in its record than any ordinary unit of the German Army, and their commanders had been chosen by Heydrich from the S.S. élite with academic degrees. Hence the problem was how to overcome not so much their conscience as the animal pity by which all normal men are affected in the presence of physical suffering. The trick used by Himmler — who apparently was rather strongly afflicted by these instinctive reactions himself — was very simple and probably very effective; it consisted in turning these instincts around, as it were, in directing them toward the self. So that instead of saying: What horrible things I did to people!, the murderers would be able to say: What horrible things I had to watch in the pursuance of my duties, how heavily the task weighed upon my shoulders!
o Ch. VI.

* The case of the conscience of Eichmann, which is admittedly complicated but is by no means unique, is scarcely comparable to the case of the German generals, one of whom, when asked at Nuremberg, "How was it possible that all of you honorable generals could continue to serve a murderer with such unquestioning loyalty?," replied that it was "not the task of a soldier to act as judge over his supreme commander. Let history do that or God in Heaven."

o Ch. VIII.

* The trouble with Eichmann was precisely that so many were like him, and that the many were neither perverted nor sadistic, that they were, and still are, terribly and terrifyingly normal. From the viewpoint of our legal institutions and of our moral standards of judgment, this normality was much more terrifying than all the atrocities put together, for it implied — as had been said at Nuremberg over and over again by the defendants and their counsels — that this new type of criminal, who is in actual fact hostis generis humani, commits his crimes under circumstances that make it well-nigh impossible for him to know or to feel that he is doing wrong.

Dave Lane
09-25-2008, 06:51 PM
MM rocks!

Dave

Programmer
09-26-2008, 07:13 AM
And that has nothing to do with a chance to investigate the options themselves and choose.

If you are "brainwashed-to use a phrase from the liberals here" as a liberal no amount of investigation will change your mind. Your perception is that your bias has no effect on your research. :BS:

Programmer
09-26-2008, 07:14 AM

I agree, vote for the one that isn't a slacker - McCain!

Programmer
09-26-2008, 07:18 AM
I KNEW this would happen on this thread! Somebody posts, "slackers aren't critically thinking about their vote, they're just doing it because it's cool to hate the current establishment."

Then somebody says, "you mean like their parents who don't know any better why they vote?"

You're only ENCOURAGING this bullshit voting, people! You're raising ANOTHER generation to vote based on someone else's word, not on their own political views.

Their own political view? Where did they get that political view? You are saying the parents are not a good example and most that differ from their parents with their political view are products of liberal educational influence.

It's a no win situation if you want someone to have their own developed political view. Just consider the commentary here, the liberals are slamming anyone conservative, the conservatives are shooting back. The majority of the board here are liberals, at the very least the most vocal. There can never be any kind of "choosing for yourself" based on investigation around here. Anything found by either side will be slambasted by the opposition.

BucEyedPea
09-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately it applies to many more than you would ever consider. Today's youth/slackers tend to believe what they see on the internet without question. Check out the number of people here that believe the things about Obama and McCain just because they have read them on a bulletin board or because they have received an chain email.

Little research is done, even by those here that claim to be up to speed on the candidates and post many links to prove their point. They have linked to biased websites because they say what they want to hear.

See, now I don't know if that's any less true of the "Greatest Generation" who NEVER questioned anything by their gub'mnt. Or anything FDR told them.

Mecca
09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
So being educated makes you liberal now, I guess he's somehow trying to explain why college graduates vote democrat at a 2-1 rate.

Brock
09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
So being educated makes you liberal now, I guess he's somehow trying to explain why college graduates vote democrat at a 2-1 rate.

According to exit polls from 2006, it was a 50/50 split among college graduates. Even among postgraduates it was about 60/40.

Iowanian
09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I wonder what the % of non-HS completing voters, vote Democrat? Huge block....of their target audience.

Programmer
09-26-2008, 05:39 PM

If you think it's anything other that liberal influence from the university you're mistaken.