PDA

View Full Version : Misc have you ever read the bible?

Redrum_69
09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Just like the question asks...

Have you ever read the bible?

J Diddy
09-25-2008, 11:04 AM
the whole thing?

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I have only read the old testiment and the books by disciples.

NewChief
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
I've read most of the New Testament and quite a bit of the Old.

DaFace
09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Yep. From cover to cover. [/atheist]

Donger
09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Yes, religiously.

patteeu
09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Nope

Brock
09-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I saw the movie.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Which one? The revised plumbers edition? nope only the King James. ;)

luv
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes. KJV.

MOhillbilly
09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
most of it way back in grade school.

Redrum_69
09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I have read about a quarter of the bible, but seem to get lost when it talks about who came from where. First, its hard to pronounce the names, and is it really necessary to list every "Abunajjarg came from Sam Jjforllala".

plbrdude
09-25-2008, 12:17 PM
yes. some parts more than others, but all the way through once. 2/3 way through for the second time.

Taco John
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I have read about a quarter of the bible, but seem to get lost when it talks about who came from where. First, its hard to pronounce the names, and is it really necessary to list every "Abunajjarg came from Sam Jjforllala".

The reason why they do that is because they are working to establish lineages, ultimately because the Jews were looking for their Jewish Messiah who would be a political, spiritual, and military leader, establishing Jewish dominance in the material world coming from the line of David. This expectation of the messiah is why they rejected Jesus, because he didn't reign as they expected their prohphecized messiah would reign. Even today, they are still waiting for this prophecized messiah, expecting Jewish dominance over the world.

SNR
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I have read about a quarter of the bible, but seem to get lost when it talks about who came from where. First, its hard to pronounce the names, and is it really necessary to list every "Abunajjarg came from Sam Jjforllala".Most of the time, yes. There's a part in the Book of Ruth where it lists the geneaolgies after Ruth. The direct line leads all the way to King David, which means his great great whatever mother was a non-Israelite. The point of the book is that there's a virtuous foreign woman who supposedly represents a group of evil people, and she ends up being the line from the greatest Israelite king ever. In that case the geneaology is used to prove a point.

PunkinDrublic
09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Isn't that the book they're always putting in hotel rooms?

ROYC75
09-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Yes .....All should.

Redrum_69
09-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Most of the time, yes. There's a part in the Book of Ruth where it lists the geneaolgies after Ruth. The direct line leads all the way to King David, which means his great great whatever mother was a non-Israelite. The point of the book is that there's a virtuous foreign woman who supposedly represents a group of evil people, and she ends up being the line from the greatest Israelite king ever. In that case the geneaology is used to prove a point.

ah, ok, thanks..to you and taco john.

that makes sense.

StcChief
09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Primarily New testament.

Jenson71
09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Most of the New Testament, which isn't that much. Basically none of the Old Testament. Yeah, someday I hope to get there. Not an urgent need for now though.

Hydrae
09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
When I was growing up my dad would read a chapter from the Bible and a chapter from the Chronicles of Narnia out loud after dinner. So I have at least heard the entire Bible for whatever small parts I have not read on my own.

Calcountry
09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Twice.

Dave Lane
09-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Many times cover to cover. It does seem to grow on me with age. Pretty much funnier and funnier as I get older and wiser.

Dave

Sully
09-25-2008, 02:43 PM
IF you haven't... I don't mean to spoil it, but...

... it's a boy!!!

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I read the Old Testament every night as from age three to five.

I read the New Testament in CCD and Catholic School.

The Old Testament is a great set of fables that everyone should read, regardless of whether or not you actually believe they occurred (I do not).

The New Testament is a mess, IMO. Contradictory books, glaring omissions (Ruth, Philip, Mary Magdalene, etc.) and absolutely no historical records to back up it's claims (other than the book itself).

tiptap
09-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I was asked when I was 14 if I believed in the Bible had I read it. Well I spent the next year reading it all. It was the beginning of my disbelief. Not right away of course. But I noticed the two parallel readings of events started in Genesis and how they differed slightly. I thought it was kind of like singing with repeating of material but they did differ. I included several translations Beck , Amplified and KJV (Holy Ghost thou and thee and all).

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2008, 06:01 PM
I read the Old Testament every night as from age three to five.

I read the New Testament in CCD and Catholic School.

The Old Testament is a great set of fables that everyone should read, regardless of whether or not you actually believe they occurred (I do not).

The New Testament is a mess, IMO. Contradictory books, glaring omissions (Ruth, Philip, Mary Magdalene, etc.) and absolutely no historical records to back up it's claims (other than the book itself).

The Nicene council wasn't exactly Random House.

bango
09-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Yes. Once. From cover to cover. I have read most of it before and since. It has been years since I did sit down and read from cover to cover though.

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2008, 06:36 PM

They were the eeeveeill Random House

Der Flöprer
09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Psalms 21:12 "And the good Lord said you got ta rise up-pa!!"

***SPRAYER
09-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes.

WilliamTheIrish
09-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Cover to cover? No. The nuns refused to give us the Cliff's notes to it. They give us Cliff's notes for all that Shakespeare, but nooooooooooooooo... not for the Bible.

B*tches.

Thig Lyfe
09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes .....All should.

http://www.netlore.ru/files/uploads/2007/05/orly-4.jpg

HolyHandgernade
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Cover to cover twice. The Gospels...I've lost count.

-HH

Mr. Laz
09-25-2008, 07:49 PM
some .... but really just going for specific passages

not just a "sit down and read" type situation

MahiMike
09-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I heard a Louis Black skit the other day where he claims the old testament was the Jewish bible whereby God is really an SOB. The new testament was created to ease up and bring more people to Jesus. What do you think?

Count Alex's Losses
09-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Read quite a bit of it as a youth. I was convinced I had better things to do and will never crack one open ever again.

***SPRAYER
09-25-2008, 08:46 PM
What do you think?

I don't think God is a sonofabitch.

God didn't have a mother. Unless of course, you think the chicken came before the egg.

Count Alex's Losses
09-25-2008, 08:47 PM

God you should be a comedian. ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
09-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Even today, they are still waiting...expecting Jewish dominance over the world.

Well hell, what do they need a Messiah for, then? MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

cdcox
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I was asked when I was 14 if I believed in the Bible had I read it. Well I spent the next year reading it all. It was the beginning of my disbelief. Not right away of course. But I noticed the two parallel readings of events started in Genesis and how they differed slightly. I thought it was kind of like singing with repeating of material but they did differ. I included several translations Beck , Amplified and KJV (Holy Ghost thou and thee and all).

So the parallel but contradicting accounts of last Sunday's game offered by Joe Po and WPI means it never happened? SWEET!

Count Alex's Losses
09-25-2008, 08:56 PM
So the parallel but contradicting accounts of last Sunday's game offered by Joe Po and WPI means it never happened? SWEET!

If we're comparing the Chiefs to biblical tales, Carl Peterson is most assuredly the devil, reigning over the land for a long, long time, gifting us with riches but never ultimate fulfillment.

Here's your messiah! Returning from the wilderness and temptations of New York, ready to do battle with the great dragon, and uh, all that other bullshit. Of course he'll probably be fired as a ransom sacrifice for the sins of Chiefskind.

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/herm_edwards.jpg

tiptap
09-26-2008, 08:10 AM

We are talking about the J and P entries in OT for those who want to know.

That 14 year old went another 10 years before entertaining that some events in Genesis didn't happen. No my initial finding of the repeated differing stories in the OT was first interpreted as just peculiar, then that maybe it had come from the Northern Tribes and the other from Judah. This kind of understanding grew when you could view the bias toward each other in later books. What this introduced for me was that the notion of a unified voice for the Bible was not so true. It did over several years remove the possibility of fundamentalist view of the Bible that every word is absolute and directly from God. Later would come the question of authority then, whether it was a Priesthood of the Individual or a Priesthood of Established (read high) Church.

It is only during college than that it became evident that this baggage of fundamentalism and impossible events as compared to my scientific training (things like the sun stopping in the sky or barrels or baskets of food springing into existence or wine turning into blood) represented to much baggage and the church offered to little return to remain associated. And through the years I have become much happier with that choice.

Unlike some of the posters here, I didn't have an immediate undressing of my Christian beliefs. It came slowly.

Programmer
09-26-2008, 08:29 AM
I've read much of the Bible. KJ, NKJ, NIV, Amplified, and others.

jidar
09-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Raised Southern Baptist.
So I read it, studied it, was tested on it, and participated in drills where I had to find references as fast as possible.

Now I'm an atheist.

I know I know. I'm a liar, atheists never read the bible. I heard it in this thread.

DaFace
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Raised Southern Baptist.
So I read it, studied it, was tested on it, and participated in drills where I had to find references as fast as possible.

Now I'm an atheist.

I know I know. I'm a liar, atheists never read the bible. I heard it in this thread.

Ahem...

Yep. From cover to cover. [/atheist]

KILLER_CLOWN
09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
I have never met an Atheist who didn't claim to have read every word of the bible, it's part and parcel to the one upsmanship to claim higher ground.

Mecca
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I tried once but I considered it wordy and poorly written.

DaFace
09-26-2008, 09:55 AM
I have never met an Atheist who didn't claim to have read every word of the bible, it's part and parcel to the one upsmanship to claim higher ground.

Na, but it was at the beginnings of when I started the transition from hardcore Christianity toward agnosticism. For me, it was only when I tried to understand the entire thing myself (as opposed to listening to what others said about it) that I started realizing none of it made sense to me. I think the reason why I tend to point it out is that very few of my Christian friends have ever done it, and that just seems odd to me.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I think the reason why I tend to point it out is that very few of my Christian friends have ever done it, and that just seems odd to me.

that is true, they think that going to church is all that is required. We truly have become a lazy society.

Taco John
09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Na, but it was at the beginnings of when I started the transition from hardcore Christianity toward agnosticism. For me, it was only when I tried to understand the entire thing myself (as opposed to listening to what others said about it) that I started realizing none of it made sense to me. I think the reason why I tend to point it out is that very few of my Christian friends have ever done it, and that just seems odd to me.

The reason it doesn't make sense is that Paul confounded Jesus's message with his more government friendly message. Indeed, just read Romans 13, and tell me that Paul wasn't a government plant trying to co-opt this very popular movement for the gains of the Roman government. He writes a lot of good stuff that sounds reasonable, to be sure. But he also writes a lot of stuff that is in direct contradiction to Christ's own words. The end result, of course, was the foundation of another man-made, evolutionary religion - exactly what Jesus came to set men free of in the first place. But men will be men.

True religion has nothing to do with the empty material establishments like man-made religions. True religion is the relationship that an individual shares with their creator very personally, and without interference of the outside world.

Matthew 6:6 - When you pray, go to your room and close the door. Pray privately to your Father who is with you.

Matthew 23:9 - And call no man "Father" on earth, for you have one Father--the one in heaven.

tiptap
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM

I don't think many Buddist would make this claim to have read the Bible. The statement is just reflective of exposure they have in the West. The Bible is a book that has and still is prominent apart from it's religious value. As such an educated person should have knowledge, just to get by, of the Bible and the stories.

Upmanship also would include the claim to know God's mind whether from one's reading or one's personal message from God.

I don't think Atheist make that argument. The statement is meant to put a book in perspective that it is accessible and therefore not unique in knowledge technology as would have been the case before the printing press in the West. Before than it was only known by a few because so few could even read.

Frankie
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Just like the question asks...

Have you ever read the bible?

Most of The Old Testament and some of The New.

Reaper16
09-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes, I've read it in its entirety.

keg in kc
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
I've read much of the old and most of the new.

Add me into the athiest camp.

Jenson71
09-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Well put.

It's also no suprise people who are raised fundamentalist sometimes end up giving the whole thing up.

Over-Head
09-26-2008, 07:40 PM
almost 30 years as a Jehovah's Witness till I came to my scenses.
Got "their's" f***ing near memorized

Programmer
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
I tried once but I considered it wordy and poorly written.

Kinda like everything you write?

KILLER_CLOWN
09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I Before than it was only known by a few because so few could even read.

Well mainly because it was illegal to have a copy of the scriptures, it was to be interpreted only by the chosen few.

Ebolapox
09-27-2008, 12:22 AM
firmly in atheist camp. father and grandfather were pentecostal ministers. I wanted to be one when I was younger. gramps died when I was fifteen, grew up a bit, began doubting. doubts turned into questions. never any answers for the questions. absurdly strong religious belief turned into agnosticism/flirted with buddhism, agnosticism turned into atheism after richard dawkins in 'the god delusion' pretty much convinced me that I needed to shit or get off the pot.

but yeah--I've read the bible multiple times. at times it can be decent literature (I'm fond of quite a few of the psalms, enjoy the apocalyptic writing of revelation, enjoy the misogyny of paul's epistles, and would rather gouge my eyes out rather than read through the begats and begots of the pentateuch)