PDA

View Full Version : Elections Election tampering, or innocent mistake?

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-25-2008, 10:27 PM
http://cjonline.com/stories/092508/loc_336628596.shtml

McCain mailer adds wrinkle to voting process
Absentee form would have gone to wrong state
By James Carlson
The Capital-Journal
Published Thursday, September 25, 2008
A Topeka man is the latest to receive from the John McCain campaign an unsolicited absentee ballot application, a curious mailing similar to one that has perplexed voters in numerous states.

It was delivered to Jared Starkey at the Topeka residence where he has been registered to vote since February. But it included an application for a Missouri absentee ballot and a return envelope to be sent to Christian County, Mo., where Starkey used to live and where, unbeknownst to him, he is still registered.

Starkey, who was a Republican but is now registered as a Democrat in Kansas, said he thought the postcard was odd because it somehow knew his current address but was having him send his absentee ballot application to the old location.

"How did they connect the two addresses?" he asked.

The outside of the mailer has McCain's face in one corner, and the words: "VOTER ALERT! Look inside for your vote-by-mail application!"

Media accounts from this month show similar mailings to voters in Wisconsin, Ohio, Virginia and Pennsylvania among other so-called battleground states.

In the majority of instances, Democrats are receiving the postcards from the McCain campaign with absentee ballot applications and return envelopes to the wrong county, or in some cases, to the wrong state.

Kay Brown, Christian County clerk in Missouri, said Starkey was on an inactive voter list but hadn't been stricken from the rolls yet.

She said if Starkey had submitted the absentee ballot application and actually attempted to vote in Missouri, his vote would have been subject to disqualification. But, she said, her office would have had little way to determine whether he was registered elsewhere and very well could have counted his vote.

When told about the mailer, she said of Starkey, "I can see why he would have been confused by this."

McCain's regional spokesman Tom Kise said Starkey probably was flagged as a potential absentee voter. In an effort to pull out any and all voters in that hotly contested race, the McCain campaign most likely cross-referenced the Missouri voter database with a magazine subscription list to find Starkey's new address.

"We've got a huge absentee push," Kise said.

Neither the Shawnee County Election Office nor the Kansas Secretary of State's Office have received any inquiries about other mailings in the state.

James Carlson can be reached at (785) 295-1186 or james.carlson@cjonline.com.

Pitt Gorilla
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I received absentee ballots from the McCain folks. I thought that was kind of weird.

Amnorix
09-26-2008, 06:55 AM
At first blush, I'd like to see some criminal investigation into this. I don't even understand why campaigns are directly involved in sending out absentee ballots to begin with.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-26-2008, 05:06 PM
At first blush, I'd like to see some criminal investigation into this. I don't even understand why campaigns are directly involved in sending out absentee ballots to begin with.

That was my first thought as well; does anyone know if Obama is sending these out as well?

jidar
09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
That was my first thought as well; does anyone know if Obama is sending these out as well?

This was a tactic used by Bush in 2000 and 2004 as well and is a left over in the republican party from Karl Rove. I've looked and I don't know of democrats doing this.

It's definitely dirty bag politics though. Karl Rove is probably the worst thing to ever happen to democracy.