PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain will attend the debate tonight

BigRedChief
09-26-2008, 09:32 AM
per several news sources. AP/CNN/MSNBC etc.

The Associated Press
updated 10:33 a.m. CT, Fri., Sept. 26, 2008
<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633580399943400000');</SCRIPT>WASHINGTON - Republican John McCain will attend the first presidential debate as scheduled Friday night, the Associated Press reported.

McCain met briefly Friday morning with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, before heading to his campaign headquarters. He had pledged to stay in Washington to work on a deal that would address the financial crisis, even if it meant postponing the debate.

But there were signs McCain was looking for a face-saving way to make the debate, even if a deal wasn't sealed. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., McCain's representative in debate negotiations, suggested that McCain would find some way to make it to the event scheduled for 9 p.m. EDT at the University of Mississippi.

"What's more important than anything that when we go to Mississippi tonight, both candidates can say that the Congress is working, back in business, that we have an outline or proposal that will protect the taxpayer and save the country from financial Pearl Harbor, as Warren Buffet called it," Graham said on "Today" on NBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/?vp=26900356�). "We are not there yet, but we will get there."
McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said Friday morning "we are hopeful" McCain would be able to attend.

His rival, Democrat Barack Obama, was preparing to fly out of Washington late Friday morning. Obama said he and McCain should be able to handle the 90-minute forum and the financial crisis at the same time.

"Sen. McCain has no need to be fearful about a debate," Obama told reporters. "He's a person of strong opinions and he's been expressing them on the campaign trail."

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a McCain supporter, said the Republican made a "huge mistake" by even discussing canceling the debate.

"You can't just say, 'World, stop for a moment. I'm going to cancel everything,'" Huckabee told reporters Thursday night in Alabama before attending a benefit for the University of Mobile. He said it's more important for voters to hear from the presidential candidates than for them to huddle with fellow senators in Washington.

Trip to D.C.
Both McCain and Obama had returned to Washington on Thursday at the urging of President Bush, who invited them to a meeting with congressional leaders at the White House. But a session aimed at showing unity in resolving the financial crisis broke up with conflicts in plain view.

McCain's campaign said the meeting "devolved into a contentious shouting match" and implied that Obama was at fault — on a day when McCain said he was putting politics aside to focus on the nation's financial problems.
Democrats differed, saying the refusal of McCain and other Republicans to support the plan worked out by congressional negotiators was creating a road block.

"The insertion of presidential politics has not been helpful," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Friday.

Meanwhile, debate preparations continued in Oxford, with streets blocked off and big TV screens set up on campus and near City Hall for large debate-watching parties.

Television network officials were left with the uncertainty of whether their Friday night programming would be the scheduled debate or something else arranged at the last minute. Pressed in an interview on the "CBS Evening News" about whether he would show, McCain responded: "I understand how important this debate is and I'm very hopeful, but I also have to put the country first."

Obama told NBC's "Nightly News. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/) that, should the debate go on, he would raise the economy even though the focus was supposed to be foreign policy.
"It's one of the fundamental differences that I have with John McCain, and it's something that I think we need to explore in a debate format," Obama said. "We're only talking about 90 minutes here."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
<SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+' (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/'+url+')
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26900453/

the Talking Can
09-26-2008, 09:38 AM
that guy is farce

he's "resuming" his campaign that was never suspended...but he can lie without consequence since the corporate owned media doesn't care...

Frankie
09-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Looks like the rat figured out if he he pulled too hard he'd lose his tail.

BigRedChief
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
No way they Republicans can spin this into some kind of "Country First" BS.

McCain got spanked on his gamble.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 10:12 AM
LMAO McCain blinked and now looks like a tool. COUNTRY FIRST BITCHES!!

Chief Henry
09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Who's going to count all of the UHHH's coming out of Barry tonight ?

Do you suppose Barry will expalin how much of this bail out will go to ACORN ?

mlyonsd
09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Not that I put any faith into polls but McCain got spanked so badly he got a bump in yesterday's daily gallup, which included the day after he announced the suspension of his campaign.

Spin that.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Do you suppose Barry will expalin how much of this bail out will go to ACORN ?

:rolleyes:

This debate is on foregin policy which is McCain's strength but when they start asking about economic issues McCain will say the exact same thing as he did in the WH meeting yesterday...which was NOTHING.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Not that I put any faith into polls but McCain got spanked so badly he got a bump in yesterday's daily gallup, which included the day after he announced the suspension of his campaign.

Spin that.

Ummm Republican Rasmussen has Obama at 50 and McCain 45 which is down 1 for McCain.

Spin that :)

Amnorix
09-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Nice of him, really. Quite generous. Showing up for a debate when he's running for President and all. We should send him a fruit basket or something...

keg in kc
09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Who's going to count all of the UHHH's coming out of Barry tonight ? Sounds like a good drinking game. Between that and "POW" mentions we could get good and hammered I bet.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a good drinking game. Between that and "POW" mentions we could get good and hammered I bet.

Don't forget "my friends"

mlyonsd
09-26-2008, 10:36 AM
:rolleyes:

This debate is on foregin policy which is McCain's strength but when they start asking about economic issues McCain will say the exact same thing as he did in the WH meeting yesterday...which was NOTHING.

Nothing is what we heard from Obama two years ago when regulations for Freddie and Fannie were first discussed.

Must not have been present.

StcChief
09-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Nice of him, really. Quite generous. Showing up for a debate when he's running for President and all. We should send him a fruit basket or something... as long as he doesn't have to shoot "Treys from downtown" with Barry that's fair.

BigRedChief
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Nothing is what we heard from Obama two years ago when regulations for Freddie and Fannie were first discussed.

Bush and his big business cronies were in charge when this mess occured. George W created an enviorment that allowed big businesses to speculate unsupervised and now taxpayer money needs to be used to bail out corporate greed.

This is George W.'s leadership and policy biting us in the azz.

gblowfish
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Drink every time Barry says "Uhhhhhh..."
Drink every time Lumpy McGrumpy says "My Friends..."

HAMMERED by 9:00!!

the Talking Can
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
mccain the flip flopper

he blinked (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/26/ex-adviser-mccain-blinked_n_129611.html):

The whole episode left even conservatives admitting that the McCain campaign looked erratic and a bit foolish with no apparent direction or guiding principle.

"It just proves his campaign is governed by tactics and not ideology," said Republican consultant Craig Shirley, who advised McCain earlier in this cycle. "In the end, he blinked and Obama did not. The 'steady hand in a storm' argument looks now to more favor Obama, not McCain."

Shirley added, "My guess is that plasma units are rushing to the McCain campaign as we speak to replace the blood flowing there from the fights among the staff."

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Obama proposed a mortgage reform bill back in 2006.

Try again

the Talking Can
09-26-2008, 11:21 AM
mccain has already declared himself the winner!

you can't make this shit up

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/images/26Sep_Friday_WSJ.JPG

McCain Wins Debate (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/09/mccain_wins_debate.html)

Although the fate of tonight's presidential debate in Mississippi remains very much up in the air, John McCain has apparently already won it -- if you believe an Internet ad an astute reader spotted next to this piece in the online edition of the Wall Street Journal this morning.

"McCain Wins Debate!" declares the ad which features a headshot of a smiling McCain with an American flag background. Another ad spotted by our eagle-eyed observer featured a quote from McCain campaign manager Rick Davis declaring: "McCain won the debate-- hands down."

BIG_DADDY
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Nice of him, really. Quite generous. Showing up for a debate when he's running for President and all. We should send him a fruit basket or something...

I am sure you all will find something else to bitch about now.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
McCain is dumb

Rich Lowry has (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZGMyMzdkMDk3NzNmM2EzMmRmNDAzYTZhMjlhM2Y4MzI=) an observation that matches the mood of the handful of Mississippians I've talked to about McCain's move:
One side effect of McCain's debate gambit is, I'm told, that everyone at Ole Miss now hates him. It will make for a very hostile audience tonight among those students and faculty attending. He might have to apologize for creating the uncertainty

BIG_DADDY
09-26-2008, 11:59 AM
McCain is dumb

LMAO

mlyonsd
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Obama proposed a mortgage reform bill back in 2006.

Try again

Link? And how did it directly affect Fanny and Freddie?

HonestChieffan
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
McCain is dumb

Once again, for a pretty smart guy you go falling off into the oboland and say silly things. You may not agree with him but he is far from dumb.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Once again, for a pretty smart guy you go falling off into the oboland and say silly things. You may not agree with him but he is far from dumb.

Rich Lowery is a conservative writer for the National Review

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Link? And how did it directly affect Fanny and Freddie?

It didn't affect Fanny and Freddie his bill effected everyone that tried to scam the system

http://obama.senate.gov/news/060215-obama_durbin_pr/print.php

Obama, Durbin propose federal mortgage reforms

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
By David Jackson
Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) proposed a sweeping set of federal reforms Tuesday to combat mortgage fraud, ratcheting up enforcement and creating a national database of brokers who have been disciplined.

mlyonsd
09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
It didn't affect Fanny and Freddie his bill effected everyone that tried to scam the system

Then my original point stands.

RJ
09-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Sometimes smart people do dumb things. This was one of them.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Then my original point stands.

Fair enough but Obama did try to address some of the mortgage problems over 2 years ago. It was not like he was doing nothing which is what I took your post to mean.

LOCOChief
09-26-2008, 01:04 PM
that guy is farce

he's "resuming" his campaign that was never suspended...but he can lie without consequence since the corporate owned media doesn't care...

i guess we'll see who the "farce" is after tonights debate;)

mlyonsd
09-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Fair enough but Obama did try to address some of the mortgage problems over 2 years ago. It was not like he was doing nothing which is what I took your post to mean.

I firmly believe most of the financial crisis we're seeing today stems from Fanny and Freddie.

The fact that McCain saw the train coming and Obama didn't makes me scoff at those who think McCain doesn't understand economics.

Chiefnj2
09-26-2008, 01:19 PM
makes me scoff at those who think McCain doesn't understand economics.

"I dont believe were headed into a recession, he said, I believe the fundamentals of this economy are strong and I believe they will remain strong.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I firmly believe most of the financial crisis we're seeing today stems from Fanny and Freddie.

The fact that McCain saw the train coming and Obama didn't makes me scoff at those who think McCain doesn't understand economics.

I think it was all of them but McCain made a huge mistake by hiring Rick Davis who up to a few months ago was getting $30,000 a month lobbying for Fannie and Freddie

Senator John McCain (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/john_mccain/index.html?inline=nyt-per)s campaign manager was paid more than $30,000 a month for five years as president of an advocacy group set up by the mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to defend them against stricter regulations, current and former officials say.

mlyonsd
09-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I think it was all of them but McCain made a huge mistake by hiring Rick Davis who up to a few months ago was getting $30,000 a month lobbying for Fannie and Freddie

Ignore the facts. I don't care.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Ignore the facts. I don't care.

What facts? I think everyone is to blame.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Spin that.

Gallup has Obama up by 3 today. I guess that stupid move McCain tried to pull didn't pay off to well did it?

ROYC75
09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
"I dont believe were headed into a recession, he said, I believe the fundamentals of this economy are strong and I believe they will remain strong.

I hope he is correct, but we are already in a recession...... So I disagree with him here.

Infidel Goat
09-26-2008, 01:53 PM

Do you suppose Barry will expalin

Is that anything like an Ex-parrot?

It would make a hell of a Monty Python skit. Probably your best idea ever. Cheers.

BigRedChief
09-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Gallup has Obama up by 3 today. I guess that stupid move McCain tried to pull didn't pay off to well did it?
Latest Missouri poll has Obama pulling even with McCain

The Associated Press

ST. LOUIS | Democrat Barack Obama appears to be pulling even with Republican John McCain's advantage in Missouri.

A new St. Louis Post-Dispatch/KMOV poll of 800 likely Missouri voters conducted this week shows the race is about even, with McCain at 47 percent and Obama at 46 percent. A week earlier, a similar poll by Maryland-based Research 2000 showed McCain held a 4 percentage point lead; 49 percent favored McCain compared to 45 percent for Obama.
This week's poll, like the earlier one, has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Just over a quarter said they trusted Obama the most to handle the current financial crisis, while 20 percent favored McCain.
In the governor's race, the poll shows Democrat Jay Nixon with a 9-point lead over Republican Kenny Hulshof, 51 percent to 42 percent.
Last week's poll showed Nixon with a 7-point lead over Hulshof, 50 percent to 43 percent.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Latest Missouri poll has Obama pulling even with McCain

The Associated Press

ST. LOUIS | Democrat Barack Obama appears to be pulling even with Republican John McCain's advantage in Missouri.

A new St. Louis Post-Dispatch/KMOV poll of 800 likely Missouri voters conducted this week shows the race is about even, with McCain at 47 percent and Obama at 46 percent. A week earlier, a similar poll by Maryland-based Research 2000 showed McCain held a 4 percentage point lead; 49 percent favored McCain compared to 45 percent for Obama.
This week's poll, like the earlier one, has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Just over a quarter said they trusted Obama the most to handle the current financial crisis, while 20 percent favored McCain.
In the governor's race, the poll shows Democrat Jay Nixon with a 9-point lead over Republican Kenny Hulshof, 51 percent to 42 percent.
Last week's poll showed Nixon with a 7-point lead over Hulshof, 50 percent to 43 percent.

If that poll is true Obama wins MO. No way St Louis Co. won't deliver for Obama

BigRedChief
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
If that poll is true Obama wins MO. No way St Louis Co. won't deliver for Obama
If he wins Missouri its all over because that will have meant that Ohio and or Florida has went his way also.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 01:59 PM
If he wins Missouri its all over because that will have meant that Ohio and or Florida has went his way also.

If the way the polls are moving now stands Obama will win Virginia, NC, and MO.

We won't need either Ohio or Florida.

mlyonsd
09-26-2008, 02:06 PM

It didn't hurt him either if gallup only went back to where it was. :p

Chief Henry
09-26-2008, 02:17 PM
McCain is dumb

Barry is DUMBER and the DUMBEST :D