PDA

View Full Version : Elections Republicans turning on Palin?

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDZiMDhjYTU1NmI5Y2MwZjg2MWNiMWMyYTUxZDkwNTE=

Palin Problem
She’s out of her league.

By Kathleen Parker

If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream — away from Sarah Palin.

To express reservations about her qualifications to be vice president — and possibly president — is to risk being labeled anti-woman.

Or, as I am guilty of charging her early critics, supporting only a certain kind of woman.

Some of the passionately feminist critics of Palin who attacked her personally deserved some of the backlash they received. But circumstances have changed since Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick — what a difference a financial crisis makes — and a more complicated picture has emerged.

As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state as the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York. She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistan’s president wanted to hug her. (Perhaps Osama bin Laden is dying to meet her?)

And, yes, she has common sense, something we value. And she’s had executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively).

Finally, Palin’s narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged as John McCain’s running mate, I confess I was delighted. She was the antithesis and nemesis of the hirsute, Birkenstock-wearing sisterhood — a refreshing feminist of a different order who personified the modern successful working mother.

Palin didn’t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there. Here’s but one example of many from her interview with Hannity: “Well, there is a danger in allowing some obsessive partisanship to get into the issue that we’re talking about today. And that’s something that John McCain, too, his track record, proving that he can work both sides of the aisle, he can surpass the partisanship that must be surpassed to deal with an issue like this.”

When Couric pointed to polls showing that the financial crisis had boosted Obama’s numbers, Palin blustered wordily: “I’m not looking at poll numbers. What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at track records and see who’s more apt to be talking about solutions and wishing for and hoping for solutions for some opportunity to change, and who’s actually done it?”

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

What to do?

McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden.

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Radio talk show host Ed Schultz reports (http://www.wegoted.com/):
Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."

Taco John
09-26-2008, 11:47 AM
All this was apparent when she revealed she didn't even have a vague idea on what the Bush Doctrine is, even in loose theoretical terms.

HolmeZz
09-26-2008, 11:52 AM
All this was apparent when she revealed she didn't even have a vague idea on what the Bush Doctrine is, even in loose theoretical terms.

His world view, Charlie?

BIG_DADDY
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Another Palin thread, shocking.

irishjayhawk
09-26-2008, 11:54 AM

Clearly you haven't seen her interviews.

Taco John
09-26-2008, 11:55 AM

What are you complaining about after all the Obama threads you've started?

HolmeZz
09-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Why don't you respond to the content of a thread like this(or any of the others where Palin shows herself to be incompetent) instead of deflecting, BD? Level your honest opinion on the subject at hand.

BIG_DADDY
What are you complaining about after all the Obama threads you've started?

All what threads?

Taco John
By the way, here is an article on TownHall asking Palin to step down:

http://townhall.com/columnists/KathleenParker/2008/09/26/the_palin_problem

BIG_DADDY
09-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Why don't you respond to the content of a thread like this(or any of the others where Palin shows herself to be incompetent) instead of deflecting, BD? Level your honest opinion on the subject at hand.

I have posted where I am at when it comes to Palin. Go find it one of the10,000 other threads there are about her in here.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 11:59 AM

What is the problem with questioning whether Republicans are now turning on Palin because she is clueless?

Skip Towne
Bush is too stupid to have a doctrine.

dirk digler
By the way, here is an article on TownHall asking Palin to step down:

http://townhall.com/columnists/KathleenParker/2008/09/26/the_palin_problem

That is what I posted

RJ
09-26-2008, 12:01 PM

Seriously BD, did you watch her interviews?

HonestChieffan
09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Only in the minds of Obobots....She drew 60,000 in one rally alone last week...kicking bidens ass

RJ
09-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Only in the minds of Obobots....She drew 60,000 in one rally alone last week...kicking bidens ass

Kathleen Parker is an "Obobot"?

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Kathleen Parker is an "Obobot"?

Don't confuse the dumbass with facts

Donger
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Catty.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Conservatives Embarrassed About Palin (No. 2 in a Series) -- 'She Makes George W. Bush Sound Like Cicero'

September 26, 2008 12:46 PM
<!--Julia Hoppock
--> Rod Dreher, a well-respected conservative blogger, weighs in (http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2008/09/palin-debacle-on-cbs-evening-n.html) on what he calls the "Palin debacle on CBS Evening News."
"Couric's questions are straightforward and responsible," Dreher writes. "Palin is mediocre, again, regurgitating talking points mechanically, not thinking. Palin's just babbling. She makes George W. Bush sound like Cicero."
Recalls Dreher: "I remember the morning I woke up in my college dorm room and went in to take my final exam in my Formal Logic class. I knew I was unready. Massively unready. And now I was going to be put to the ultimate test. I sat down in Dr. Sarkar's class and resolved to wing it. Of course I failed the exam and failed the class, because I had no idea what I was talking about. I wasn't a bad kid, or even a stupid kid. I was just badly unprepared, and in way over my head. Seeing the Palin interview on CBS, I thought of myself in Dr. Sarkar's exam. But see, I was a college undergraduate who had the chance to take the class again, which I did, and passed (barely). I wasn't running for vice president of the United States."
He mentions Palin's argument of "why having Russia next to Alaska gives her relevant foreign policy experience. I am well and truly embarrassed for her. I think she's a good woman who might well be a great governor of Alaska. But good grief, just watch this train wreck:"

RJ
09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't know who Rod Dreher is, but he's probably an elitist fag. I heard 60,000 people showed up to see Palin.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't know who Rod Dreher is, but he's probably an elitist Rump Ranger. I heard 60,000 people showed up to see Palin.

LMAO

They are turning on Palin bigtime and if people can't see that then their bias is really showing

Donger
09-26-2008, 12:39 PM
LMAO

They are turning on Palin bigtime and if people can't see that then their bias is really showing

Two people is big time?

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Two people is big time?

It is more than those 2. her poll numbers are way down.

Donger
09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
It is more than those 2. her poll numbers are way down.

Aren't her numbers very similar to Barack Hussein's?

irishjayhawk
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM

Actually, Obama is up in the polls, per fivethirtyeight.

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Nope.

Obama is at 53

Gov. Sarah Palin's favorable/unfavorable ratings have suffered a stunning 21 point collapse in just one week, according to Research 2000 (http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/17/195514/801/936/602155) polling. Last week, 52% approved and 35% disapproved of the GOP vice presidential nominee (+17 net). This week, 42% approved and 46% disapprove (-4 net).

penchief
09-26-2008, 12:55 PM

Kicking Biden's ass at what? experience? credentials? knowledge? Or just kicking his at lacking substance of any kind?

Donger
09-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Nope.

Obama is at 53

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/25/opinion/polls/main4478890.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Obama's favorable rating now stands at 43 percent, down two points from last week; his unfavorable rating stands at 30 percent, down five points. McCain's favorable rating has slipped six points since last week to 38 percent. His unfavorable rating stands at 35 percent.

Both Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin continue to receive net overall positive ratings, though Palin is more familiar to voters. Biden's favorable rating is 33 percent, down 5 points from last week, while his unfavorable rating is 17 percent; half of those surveyed said they didn't know enough about Biden to have an opinion or were undecided.

Palin's favorable rating is 37 percent, a slight decline from last week, while her unfavorable rating is 29 percent.

VAChief
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Two people is big time?

By picking Palin, McCain got the country's attention. That is a perishable thing, and before it dissipates, he should show the country his veto pen.

George Will, Sept. 18, 2008 Washington Post

Goapics1
09-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Obama's favorable rating now stands at 43 percent, down two points from last week; his unfavorable rating stands at 30 percent, down five points. McCain's favorable rating has slipped six points since last week to 38 percent. His unfavorable rating stands at 35 percent.

Both Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin continue to receive net overall positive ratings, though Palin is more familiar to voters. Biden's favorable rating is 33 percent, down 5 points from last week, while his unfavorable rating is 17 percent; half of those surveyed said they didn't know enough about Biden to have an opinion or were undecided.

Palin's favorable rating is 37 percent, a slight decline from last week, while her unfavorable rating is 29 percent.

Where do you get this shit at Donger? Are you just making this shit up in your mom's basement while counting all the cash you are making from gas being $4/gallon?

BucEyedPea
09-26-2008, 01:08 PM

That's when I began to see it, plus falling for the phoney deregulation causes of the banking crisis that Couric used to supposedly "get" her. She seemed to think she had to defend that and come back with specifics on McCain supporting regs instead of attacking it head on as phoney-baloney. That and war with Russia. But then that's just me seeing her as not being a small govt with a relatively humble foreign policy. I still think she can deliver a good speech though.

Donger
09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Where do you get this shit at Donger? Are you just making this shit up in your mom's basement while counting all the cash you are making from gas being $4/gallon?

I added the source to my post.

Goapics1
I added the source to my post.

Well done.
Rep!

dirk digler
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/25/opinion/polls/main4478890.shtml?source=mostpop_story

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/obama_favorableunfavorable-643.html

53 Donger

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Hell Fox has him at 57 with Palin at 47

Donger
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/obama_favorableunfavorable-643.html

53 Donger

Does RCP have an average for Palin?

dirk digler
09-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Does RCP have an average for Palin?

Not that I could find

chiefforlife
09-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Perhaps if she was truly vetted, this wouldnt be happening now.

Direckshun
09-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Perhaps if she was truly vetted, this wouldnt be happening now.

If she was truly vetted, she wouldn't be on the ticket right now.

Mr. Kotter
09-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Parker is right; Palin may be a player down the road for Republicans.

But this was like throwing a 19-20 year old Lefthander with a 99 mph fastball, and a salty curveball into the bigs....before he was matured and really ready.

It's almost too tempting to pass on, yet....a likely 300 game winner, might have just become yet another footnote in history.

Amnorix
09-26-2008, 03:03 PM

But this was like throwing a 19-20 year old Lefthander with a 99 mph fastball, and a salty curveball into the bigs....before he was matured and really ready.

It's almost too tempting to pass on, yet....a likely 300 game winner, might have just become yet another footnote in history.

So she's the Rick Ankiel of the Republican Party? :)

Could be....

chiefforlife
09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Cafferty file just had a great caller, he said that Palin got sucked into a sub prime mortgage by McCain, on a house she cant afford. Wow.

Mr. Kotter
09-26-2008, 03:08 PM
So she's the Rick Ankiel of the Republican Party? :)

Could be....

Yup. Or Kerry Wood. Either way....too bad, for them.

Of course, she could become another Roger Clemens (minus the attraction to minors, hopefully...heh). :hmmm:

SBK
09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
If McCain would let her be herself and actually get out there she'd be fine. She just had an audience of over 60,000 in Florida.....

And I am shocked we got another Palin thread too!! Jettio is pissed.

chiefforlife
09-26-2008, 03:24 PM
If McCain would let her be herself and actually get out there she'd be fine. She just had an audience of over 60,000 in Florida.....

Now wait a minute, I thought you guys said drawing big crowds is bad? If its good, then you have to admit Obama is extremely qualified.

SBK
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Now wait a minute, I thought you guys said drawing big crowds is bad? If its good, then you have to admit Obama is extremely qualified.

Nice try.

I was pointing out that she's drawing huge crowds, which would lend itself to the argument R's aren't turning on her.

Obama is qualified to be President because he gives good speeches on teleprompters and has run a huge campaign. Duh.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM

But this was like throwing a 19-20 year old Lefthander with an 82 mph fastball with no movement, and a flat curveball into the bigs.... who tips his pitches, before he was matured and really ready.

It's really quite easy to pass on. She doesn't have any extemporaneous speaking ability, nor does she really have any talents other than

*Appeals to right wing fundamentalists
*Wears pantsuit well

If she was really a quick study, she could pick this shit up pretty quickly. It's not that difficult. It's not differential calculus, nor is it poststructuralism.

chiefforlife
09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Nice try.

I was pointing out that she's drawing huge crowds, which would lend itself to the argument R's aren't turning on her.

Obama is qualified to be President because he gives good speeches on teleprompters and has run a huge campaign. Duh.

I believe Palin was reading from a teleprompter in front of that 60K crowd, No?

Mr. Kotter
It's really quite easy to pass on. She doesn't have any extemporaneous speaking ability, nor does she really have any talents other than

*Wears pantsuit well

If she was really a quick study, she could pick this shit up pretty quickly. It's not that difficult. It's not differential calculus, nor is it poststructuralism.

No offense, Hamas....but I wouldn't expect any Republican....even Rockefeller/William Weld sort of Reps to ever appeal to you. Your ideological bent would not permit it, I suspect.

I would agree, she appears to be a bit short on the intellect that you or I might prefer to see in our candidates, but she seems to have a lot of raw talent and ability that have served similarly inadequate politicians well in putting together some impressive political careers (on both sides of the isle.)

;)

SBK

*Wears pantsuit well

No shocker you hate her, in fact I'm sure most on the right would have a lower view of her if you were a fan. Not an insult, but we wouldn't want someone that appeals to the (far) left.

And she wears skirts.

the Talking Can
09-26-2008, 03:41 PM
she is an embarrassment...a babbling incoherent dunce

and i just noticed that she was looking at notes during the interview...watch, if you can....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8__aXxXPVc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8__aXxXPVc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jidar
09-26-2008, 03:49 PM

If you believe that then you obviously haven't seen the interviews.

Adept Havelock
09-26-2008, 03:50 PM
'She Makes George W. Bush Sound Like Cicero'

ROFL

Neither can embellishments of language be found without arrangement and expression of thoughts, nor can thoughts be made to shine without the light of language.

Palin fails spectacularly on both counts.

SBK
09-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I believe Palin was reading from a teleprompter in front of that 60K crowd, No?

What does it matter? If the right hated her nobody would show up.

chiefforlife
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
What does it matter? If the right hated her nobody would show up.

People will stare at a natural disaster until its over, its almost over.

jidar
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
she is an embarrassment...a babbling incoherent dunce

and i just noticed that she was looking at notes during the interview...watch, if you can....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8__aXxXPVc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8__aXxXPVc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

daaaaayyyymmm
That guy is not happy.

VAChief
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Rick Ankiel? Kerry Wood? Uh, no, their is no debate that they had talent and still do. Ankiel reinvented himself as a better than average outfielder with power and fricking cannon of an outfield arm. Kerry Wood has not met expectations as a starter, but I know a lot of teams wouldn't mind him closing games for them.

No, as of yet, and she could still prove me wrong, but I think a better sports analogy would be what was that guys name again...Jesse Haynes?

Cannibal
09-26-2008, 03:59 PM
It seems to me that the Republicans prematurely ejaculated with the selection of Palin. They thought the election was in the bag already.

It is now crumbling before our very eyes.

the Talking Can
09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Rick Ankiel? Kerry Wood? Uh, no, their is no debate that they had talent and still do. Ankiel reinvented himself as a better than average outfielder with power and fricking cannon of an outfield arm. Kerry Wood has not met expectations as a starter, but I know a lot of teams wouldn't mind him closing games for them.

No, as of yet, and she could still prove me wrong, but I think a better sports analogy would be what was that guys name again...Jesse Haines?

tyler thigpen

Cave Johnson
09-26-2008, 04:06 PM
It seems to me that the Republicans prematurely ejaculated with the selection of Palin. They thought the election was in the bag already.

It is now crumbling before our very eyes.

I thought they were more into ED.

Cannibal
09-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I thought they were more into ED.

Or Men's Restrooms and underage male staffers :D

Sully
09-26-2008, 07:11 PM

So is McCain EdwardJames Olmos?

( someone surely will get that one...)