PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals wraping up much improved season...

petegz28
09-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Well what did we find out this year?

Positives:
1. Grienke is a true #1
2. Meche is still worth the $
3. Guillen was worth the $
4. Avilles..could be one of the better hitting infielders in the AL
5. Shealy has the power, can he put it together?
6. Butler finally started hitting for power
7. Hillman's first year was impressive all things considered
8. Most of all Soria......we do have the best closer in baseball

Other noteable was Kia!

Negatives:
1. Still no real catcher
2. Bannister is a bust
3. Pena Jr
4. Joey Gathright
5. Mark Teahen

keg in kc
09-27-2008, 08:16 PM
I can't wait to witness your meltdown after they trade Grienke.

BigRock
09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
What's funny is that a month ago people were shitting all over the Royals, Hillman, Moore, and everybody else involved. Now it's "look at our much improved season!"

Things can look different when you let everything play out. Not that I'm drawing any parallels to any other teams.

petegz28
09-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I can't wait to witness your meltdown after they trade Grienke.

I'm not sure we will trade him. Unless he just refuses to sign a long term contract, I think we will lock him up during the off-season. And then again depending on who we get for him, should be someone or someone(s) pretty good.

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 08:29 PM
What? No DeJesus love? Didn't he have a big game today? Oh, wait, he's hurt...again...

Just flipping you shit.

Jayhawkerman2001
09-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Deyton would be a fool to let grienke go. I think he knows that as well, so...

Sam Hall
09-27-2008, 08:42 PM
It's hard to believe they have improved, but they have. I'm just not sure how much. Gordon, Butler and Hochevar must continue progressing.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2008, 08:45 PM

Positives:
1. Grienke is a true #1

Other noteable was Kia!

Negatives:
1. Still no real catcher
2. Bannister is a bust
3. Pena Jr
4. Joey Gathright
5. Mark Teahen

NO mention of Gordon?? We still dont know WTF we have in him??

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
NO mention of Gordon?? We still dont know WTF we have in him??

There's still time, but, unfortunately, it's starting to become more and more clear.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
It's hard to believe they have improved, but they have. I'm just not sure how much. Gordon, Butler and Hochevar must continue progressing.

I blieve they are progressing, esp gordon coming off the injury and butler hitting decently to finish up as well. I think they will both start better next year, i really like what ive seen from gordon lately.

Greinke only gets traded if he doesn't want to re-sign

KC_Connection
09-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Jose Guillen has a .740 OPS, terrible for a $12M outfielder.

And Soria might surpass Rivera and Papelbon someday, but not yet.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2008, 08:48 PM
There's still time, but, unfortunately, it's starting to become more and more clear.

I wouldnt say hes a bust, but so far, hes basically just another guy.

KC_Connection
09-27-2008, 08:51 PM

What's becoming more clear?

The guy is only 24 years old, there's still a lot of time for him to improve and he will. Take it from an outsider to the team...Gordon will become a very good player in this league.

Ari Chi3fs
09-27-2008, 09:05 PM
If KC trades Greinke now, I would would be more pissed than I was when Carl traded Jared Allen or let John Tait get away without a long term deal in like in the offseason.

Ari Chi3fs
09-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I blieve they are progressing, esp gordon coming off the injury and butler hitting decently to finish up as well. I think they will both start better next year, i really like what ive seen from gordon lately.

Greinke only gets traded if he doesn't want to re-sign

I kind of think that Greinke would prefer to stay with these dudes. Im sure he is more comfortable around people he feels comfortable around. So, he pitches better. He goes to a new team where he knows no one? He may fail miserably? Who knows. I know I like him on the Royals. And he is probably a better quarterback than Hagans.

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
What's becoming more clear?

The guy is only 24 years old, there's still a lot of time for him to improve and he will. Take it from an outsider to the team...Gordon will become a very good player in this league.

That he's not going to be the consistent All-Star that almost everyone thought he was going to be. He will be a ML player for a lot of years, and a productive one at that. Unfortunately, he was expected to be much more than this.

Valiant
09-27-2008, 09:11 PM

Positives:
1. Grienke is a true #1

Other noteable was Kia!

Negatives:
1. Still no real catcher
2. Bannister is a bust
3. Pena Jr
4. Joey Gathright
5. Mark Teahen

I will give Bannister one more year.. Agree with most of everything else..

tk13
09-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't hand Bannister a rotation spot next year. But that said... the one thing I've liked about him this year is his strikeouts are up. Strikeouts were the only thing he didn't do well last year.... this year it's been his one positive. He's not putting up huge numbers but definitely good enough if he put up a 4.50 ERA. But now when people are making contact they're killing him.

I feel really good about our pitching... I think Bannister swung really far one way, then the other... hopefully his 3rd year in KC he'll even it out and just be a decent 4-5 starter. I like Hochevar, just gotta keep giving him innings and work things out. We've got the closer. We've got arms in the system. We've got 2-3 good setup men, and Dayton has proven he can find more of those (Mahay, Riske, etc.) We just need a big bat or two for the offense, and this could be a winning team.

Valiant
09-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Wow, two years and it's confirmed..

Not every top player turns it on when they first come up.. Look at Grienke.. Guess we should have dumped him after his antics a couple years ago..

Valiant
09-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Jose Guillen has a .740 OPS, terrible for a $12M outfielder.

And Soria might surpass Rivera and Papelbon someday, but not yet.

This is true, but he still is one of our better bats..

We just need to surround him with a couple more players to get his full potential..

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow, two years and it's confirmed..

Not every top player turns it on when they first come up.. Look at Grienke.. Guess we should have dumped him after his antics a couple years ago..

I said "confirmed"?

I specifically stated there's still time.

But, yes, speaking of position players, most stars tend to hit the ground running. Are there exceptions? Of course. But when you're talking about an "advanced college bat," this guy is supposed to be very good, very quickly.

Using Grienke for a comparison isn't anywhere close to logical. A HS pitcher? With off-field, personal issues?

tk13
09-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I actually think Guillen's streakiness was worse than his OPS. I know people get super caught up in that.. and it's important, but it's kind of weird in Guillen's case. Just because it seemed like there were 2-3 months where he was ridiculously on fire, and a couple months he was horrific. I really feel like he contributed more than the average sub-.800 OPS player. At least it seemed that way.

tk13
09-27-2008, 09:20 PM
I said "confirmed"?

I specifically stated there's still time.

But, yes, speaking of position players, most stars tend to hit the ground running. Are there exceptions? Of course. But when you're talking about an "advanced college bat," this guy is supposed to be very good, very quickly.

Using Grienke for a comparison isn't anywhere close to logical. A HS pitcher? With off-field, personal issues?
Yeah but you have to remember he sat out a while, then played one year of AA ball and jumped to the majors. I still think he had a funky career path.

KC_Connection
09-27-2008, 09:22 PM
That he's not going to be the consistent All-Star that almost everyone thought he was going to be. He will be a ML player for a lot of years, and a productive one at that. Unfortunately, he was expected to be much more than this.

Dude, you have absolutely no ****ing idea what you're talking about. He's 24 years old, he could still very easily turn into an All-Star. The talent is clearly there.

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah but you have to remember he sat out a while, then played one year of AA ball and jumped to the majors. I still think he had a funky career path.

Well, that may be true. As a fan, I hope this is the case.

But he's two full seasons in as a college player. At this point, I believe even the most optimistic observer would hope his continued development would mean high-level production, not the type of All-Star, (some even said HOF talent) we thought he'd be out of college.

KC_Connection
09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I actually think Guillen's streakiness was worse than his OPS. I know people get super caught up in that.. and it's important, but it's kind of weird in Guillen's case. Just because it seemed like there were 2-3 months where he was ridiculously on fire, and a couple months he was horrific. I really feel like he contributed more than the average sub-.800 OPS player. At least it seemed that way.

Jose Guillen can't hit right-handed pitching, and he hasn't been able to do it for some time now. That was a bad contract.

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Dude, you have absolutely no ****ing idea what you're talking about. He's 24 years old, he could still very easily turn into an All-Star. The talent is clearly there.

For a season or two? Sure, maybe. He's probably not going to rattle off a 7-10 run, though.

This has been talked about to death on talk-radio, and the evidence largely supports what I'm saying. But of course, I have no ****ing clue. :rolleyes:

KC_Connection
09-27-2008, 09:28 PM
For a season or two? Sure, maybe. He's probably not going to rattle off a 7-10 run, though.

This has been talked about to death on talk-radio, and the evidence largely supports what I'm saying. But of course, I have no ****ing clue. :rolleyes:

Most of the personalities on talk radio in this area are retards that don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Alex Gordon will be a very good player in this league...there's absolutely no reason to write him off.

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Most of the personalities on talk radio in this area are retards that don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Alex Gordon will be a very good player in this league...there's absolutely no reason to write him off.

WTF?

Are you replying without reading what I've written? I've said this very same thing, numerous times. The catch is that most thought he was going to be All-****ing-World, not just "a very good player."

Again, anything is possible, but it's starting to look less likely on the All-World part. Unfortunately, he's probably not going to be KC's Pujols.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
If gordon becomes a .260-270 hitter with 25-30 hrs that would be nice. I expected a guy to be a Braun type of player, not sure if he will be on that level, ever

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:38 PM
If gordon becomes a .260-270 hitter with 25-30 hrs that would be nice.

And this would be great. Solid defense (we hope), productive bat. Be a great part of the team for many years.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Look at Ryan Zimmerman, he's been pretty solid for a 3b position...i expect gordon to do a bit better than him though, atleast i hope. I am ready for a Braun type of offensive player to come through our system now. We need someone to bust that pathetic HR record soon

KC_Connection
09-27-2008, 09:45 PM
WTF?

Are you replying without reading what I've written? I've said this very same thing, numerous times. The catch is that most thought he was going to be All-****ing-World, not just "a very good player."

Again, anything is possible, but it's starting to look less likely on the All-World part. Unfortunately, he's probably not going to be KC's Pujols.

If anybody thought that, they had the wrong expectations to begin with. Pujols is one of the best hitters in major league history.

Chiefshrink
09-27-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure we will trade him. Unless he just refuses to sign a long term contract, I think we will lock him up during the off-season. And then again depending on who we get for him, should be someone or someone(s) pretty good.

He is Steinbrenner's mark it down. After not making the playoffs this year he will go after Greinke hard. Count on it!:thumb:

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:49 PM
If anybody thought that, they had the wrong expectations to begin with. Pujols is one of the best hitters in major league history.

Gordon was thought to be a cornerstone player. A perennial All-Star. I said "KC's Pujols" not necessarily "Pujols."

These types of expectations seem in step with someone who was the college player of the year and the minor league player of the year. He had consistently proven himself to be great at every level.

alnorth
09-27-2008, 09:49 PM
This was exactly the sort of year we needed. We started with a hell of a lot of unknowns, and now we've been able to identify who is worth a crap and who should be booted out. Unlike past years we actually uncovered 2, maybe 3 really great pitchers. Now Dayton needs to earn his money this offseason, maybe we'll grab some more unknowns that we need to test along with our now-proven players.

I dont know if we will be ready to compete next year, but we definitely made solid progress, and I do believe our GM and manager both know what they are doing.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Shealy probably starts next year at 1b and Kila at AAA, and hopefully he keeps pounding the ball there too.

KC_Connection
09-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Gordon was thought to be a cornerstone player. A perennial All-Star. I said "KC's Pujols" not necessarily "Pujols."

And if he becomes the .900 OPS player I think he will, then he'll be just that.

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:58 PM
And if he becomes the .900 OPS player I think he will, then he'll be just that.

And this would be outstanding for every KC fan...

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Shealy probably starts next year at 1b and Kila at AAA, and hopefully he keeps pounding the ball there too.

**** no! Where's Gload going to play? LF, I guess.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2008, 10:02 PM
**** no! Where's Gload going to play? LF, I guess.

He can ride the bench where he belongs :)

DeezNutz
09-27-2008, 10:03 PM
He can ride the bench where he belongs :)

If Hillman had 25 Ross Gloads...

And I'm pretty sure this is what Moore meant when he talked about blowing the thing up. Only 24 more to find.

Wilson8
09-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Solution for Royals catcher for next year, trade with Texas Rangers. They have Gerald Laird, Max Ramirez, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, and Taylor Teagarden currently on their 40 man roster. Taylor is probably being groomed to be the Rangers catcher of the future. He is currently batting .319 with 6 HRs in 16 games. His defensive skills are considered superior to the others and would be considered the preferred catcher for the Rangers. Gerald Laird has asked to be traded and he would probably be an improvement to John Buck’s offensive skills. My personal preference would be Saltalamacchia though. Jarrod was part of the Mark Teixeira trade but his .253 batting average has the Rangers listening to trade offers for him. Also combining Brayan Pena with Jarrod makes an excellent combination against left handed and right handed pitching. Although both bat from the left and right, there is a definite difference in the results. Brayan hits left handed pitching better with a .333 average and a .273 average against right handers. Jarrod Saltalamacchia hits right handers at a .311 average but is terrible with a .158 average against left handed pitching. I’m sure what it would cost the Royals for a trade would be pitching. Not sure who the Royals could afford to give up. I hate to see them give up any young arms since they really need all that they have.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 02:16 AM

No one with any common sense knows that talk radio isn't worth a shit. In any city.

That being said, why the **** would you expect a player like Gordon to become Pujols? That makes no sense, whatsoever.

It seems that most of you Royals "fans" haven't figured out that the overwhelming majority of MLB players don't hit their peak until age 27 (at the earliest), hence the contracts.

Gordon will probably be one of the best players in the majors by the time he's 26.

Give it time.

JFC.

Mecca
09-28-2008, 02:19 AM
I don't think people will ever be satisfied with Gordon he was expected to frankly be what Evan Longoria is and he isn't even close to that.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 02:26 AM
I don't think people will ever be satisfied with Gordon he was expected to frankly be what Evan Longoria is and he isn't even close to that.

No, he's not. At least not right now.

The thing about baseball players though is that they can get hot at age 30 and play for another decade.

It's NOT football. Or basketball.

Sometimes, it takes these guys a while to "figure it out".

Gordon will be fine.

Wilson8
09-28-2008, 02:35 AM
A player that seems to be figuring it out now that he is nearing 30, is Texas Ranger Nelson Cruz. He was a man amoung boys in AAA this year and he has been doing the same since being called up. I wish the Royals would have traded for him earlier when Texas was trying to give him away.

Wilson8
09-28-2008, 02:35 AM
It has been an interesting last few games of the season in the AL Central. I wanted KC to be playing for something at the end of the season, but I feel kind of sorry watching Minnesota and Chicago each playing teams that are playing some of their best ball when they have no pressure on them.

KC_Connection
09-28-2008, 02:47 AM

He's 24 years for **** sakes, still a lot of time left in his growing as a player. You are such a complete and utter douche.

KC_Connection
09-28-2008, 02:48 AM
It has been an interesting last few games of the season in the AL Central. I wanted KC to be playing for something at the end of the season, but I feel kind of sorry watching Minnesota and Chicago each playing teams that are playing some of their best ball when they have no pressure on them.

Why feel sorry for those chokers?

petegz28
09-28-2008, 04:19 AM
In Gordon's defense all he has to work on are his k's. His OBP was not bad, he defense is good and he has power when he hits.

He, like Grienke, had this team thrown on his shoulders by the coach his rookie year and it was stupid.

CoMoChief
09-28-2008, 04:28 AM

Positives:
1. Grienke is a true #1

1. Grienke is good, but would be a #2 on most teams
2. a #2 pitcher on a team like this is NOT worth that kinda money
3. LMAO
4. I will agree that Avilles is improving to be one of the better IF hitters in this league. Personally this tells me he's about to get traded.
5. Shealy has hardly played all season...LMAO
6. Butler has not lived up to his AAA hype by any means
7. I will agree. Overall the W/L record hasn't changed. We will only win if the FO allows us to spend enough money to compete.
8. We have ONE of the best closers.....there are about 3 better closers in the AL alone.

petegz28
09-28-2008, 04:37 AM
1. Grienke is good, but would be a #2 on most teams
2. a #2 pitcher on a team like this is NOT worth that kinda money
3. LMAO
4. I will agree that Avilles is improving to be one of the better IF hitters in this league. Personally this tells me he's about to get traded.
5. Shealy has hardly played all season...LMAO
6. Butler has not lived up to his AAA hype by any means
7. I will agree. Overall the W/L record hasn't changed. We will only win if the FO allows us to spend enough money to compete.
8. We have ONE of the best closers.....there are about 3 better closers in the AL alone.

I'd put Soria against ANY closer in the league.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Let's be honest here:

One guy had 20 homers (your 13 MM/year RFer who is also 33)
No one scored 75 runs
Two regulars had an OPS over 800 and none over 830
You were 3rd from the bottom in runs and OBP, next to last in homers

You guys still need two starting pitchers, two outfielders (Guillen is prime for a decline), a second baseman, and a catcher in order to be competitive, and that's assuming Gordon and Butler both work out.

eazyb81
09-28-2008, 08:09 AM
No, he's not. At least not right now.

The thing about baseball players though is that they can get hot at age 30 and play for another decade.

It's NOT football. Or basketball.

Sometimes, it takes these guys a while to "figure it out".

Gordon will be fine.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "fine" is. Gordon was supposed to be better than Longoria and Ryan Braun, yet both of those guys are light years ahead of him right now. I'm sure Gordon will be a serviceable MLB player over the next few years, but everyone was hoping for a superstar talent, and so in two years we haven't seen it.

If he doesn't break out next year, I'm not sure he ever will.

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 08:13 AM
No one with any common sense knows that talk radio isn't worth a shit. In any city.

That being said, why the **** would you expect a player like Gordon to become Pujols? That makes no sense, whatsoever.

It seems that most of you Royals "fans" haven't figured out that the overwhelming majority of MLB players don't hit their peak until age 27 (at the earliest), hence the contracts.

Gordon will probably be one of the best players in the majors by the time he's 26.

Give it time.

JFC.

Good grief. No one expected him to be Pujols. The "Royals Pujols." In other words, their best player. Someone to build around. I know the name causes a knee-jerk, but no one has said this.

He was supposed to be the next Brett. Hell, George even said that HE was honored to be compared to Gordon. These are the types of comments that fueled these comparisons. Oh, yeah, and the kid had won every major award at every level that he played.

Gordon turns 25 this off-season. So you really think in 2010 he'll be one of the best in the game? Not with the holes he currently has in his swing.

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 08:14 AM
I guess it depends on what your definition of "fine" is. Gordon was supposed to be better than Longoria and Ryan Braun, yet both of those guys are light years ahead of him right now. I'm sure Gordon will be a serviceable MLB player over the next few years, but everyone was hoping for a superstar talent, and so in two years we haven't seen it.

If he doesn't break out next year, I'm not sure he ever will.

Ditto.

Demonpenz
09-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Gordon has been taking a shitload of walks. I am standing by that he is ready to explode. I want Furcal next year. I am just glad they really came on late and gave me a reason to watch late in the season. That meche deal keeps on getting better and better. I am pleased...I have low standards though

Demonpenz
09-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Good grief. No one expected him to be Pujols. The "Royals Pujols." In other words, their best player. Someone to build around. I know the name causes a knee-jerk, but no one has said this.

He was supposed to be the next Brett. Hell, George even said that HE was honored to be compared to Gordon. These are the types of comments that fueled these comparisons. Oh, yeah, and the kid had won every major award at every level that he played.

Gordon turns 25 this off-season. So you really think in 2010 he'll be one of the best in the game? Not with the holes he currently has in his swing.

He can get away with it with his walks. What the team desperately needs is a true identity on offense. I just walk a shitload of walks and taking pitches because I doubt we will ever have speed or power

Al Bundy
09-28-2008, 10:17 AM
The key was removing Ross Gload from the lineup.

thurman merman
09-28-2008, 11:38 AM

FALSE.

Wilson8
09-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Some good information about the Royal’s roster for 2009 –
C - John Buck - $2.2MM+
C - Brayan Pena - $400K
1B - Kila Ka'aihue - $400K
2B - Alberto Callaspo - $400K
SS - Mike Aviles - $400K
3B - Alex Gordon - $406K
IF - Ross Gload - $1.9MM
IF - Esteban German - $1MM+
LF - Mark Teahen - $2.3375MM+
CF - David DeJesus - $3.6MM
RF - Jose Guillen - $12MM
OF - Joey Gathright - $427K+
DH - Billy Butler - $400K
SP - Gil Meche - $11MM
SP - Zack Greinke - $1.4MM+
SP - Brian Bannister - $421K+
SP - Luke Hochevar - $1.325MM
SP - Kyle Davies - $427K+
RP - Ron Mahay - $4MM
RP - Jimmy Gobble - $1.3125MM+
RP - Joel Peralta - $450K+
RP - Robinson Tejeda - $400K
RP - Joakim Soria - $1MM
RP - Leo Nunez - $405K
RP - Ramon Ramirez - $400K
Other commitments: Yasuhiko Yabuta - $3MM, Luke Hudson - $475K+, Miguel Olivo - $2.7MM club option with $100K buyout; can be voided by Olivo
Non-tender candidates: John Bale, Mark Teahen, Brandon Duckworth, Jason Smith, Ryan Shealy, Tony Pena Jr.
This setup has the Royals committed for $52MM plus arbitration raises to Buck, German, Teahen, Gathright, Greinke, Bannister, Davies, Gobble, and Peralta. Some of these players may be non-tendered. The Royals should come in under $60MM, regardless. They began '08 with a $58MM payroll and peaked at $67MM to start '07.
Rany Jazayerli has already provided an intelligent take on the '09 lineup. Shifting Aviles to second base and signing Rafael Furcal or Orlando Cabrera seems a distinct possibility. Plus, the free agent market is loaded with interesting left fielders. A few things would have to click, but the Royals could have a solid offense next year. I also agree with Jazayerli that Dayton Moore may target a young catcher this winter. I'm sure the Rangers would love to get Greinke, but I don't see him going anywhere.
Two situations to monitor in '09: Ka'aihue's playing time and Teahen's contract. Ka'aihue, 24, posted a .314/.456/.628 line between Double and Triple A, and deserves a 300 plate appearance audition at first. Teahen has a .692 OPS this year - does his versatility make him worth $3MM in '09?
The Royals have a fantastic front two in the rotation, and question marks beyond that. Given Moore's success digging up relievers on the cheap, I'd like to see Soria moved to the rotation. Or, the Royals could sign Brian Fuentes to fill the void.
The Royals have been awful this year, but they could be a sleeper in '09 with the right additions and a couple of breakout seasons. Stranger things have happened.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/offseason-out-5.html

Wilson8
09-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Story from back September 3rd, but also some good Royals info...

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2008/09/royals-today-932008.html

Wilson8
09-28-2008, 03:32 PM
A loss for today but 75 wins is an improvement.
I am encouraged with the Royals September play. Alberto Callaspo, Ryan Shealy, and Mitch Maier all look like they are ready to contribute to the Royals next year. I’d like to see a little more of Kila Ka’ahiue but he also looks like a possible help for sometime in the 2009 season. Mike Aviles has been a remarkable story and has really brightened KC’s future plans with the middle infield. I also think that Billy Butler and Alex Gordon will contribute more in 2009 as they mature and get experience. Meche, Greinke, Soria, Hochevar, Davies, Ramirez, Mahay, and Nunez, all look to be strengths for pitching in 2009. Brian Bannister, Jimmy Gobble, Robinson Tejada and even Carlos Rosa will also be able to help next season.
The Royals need another starter for their rotation. A quality left hander would be nice. They need a catcher that is either a very good defensive catcher or can contribute consistently to the offense. John Buck is neither and KC needs to trade for a replacement and also use Brayan Pena has a backup catcher. Another middle infielder is also needed but Aviles and Callaspo have made that a little less of a priority.
Some writers have said that a power hitting outfielder is a number 1 priority for the Royals for next year but I think they can fill their power need from some other positions without sacrificing outfield defense. Move Ross Gload to a backup and replace him with players that can hit home runs like Shealy and or Ka’ahiue. A middle infielder like Rafael Furcal could add power to the Royals lineup. Power could also be improved from the catcher position too. I’d like to see the offense an Adam Dunn could provide, but I would not want to see a defensive outfield of Adam Dunn, David DeJesus, and Jose Guillen.

eazyb81
09-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I think Furcal is a pretty risky signing considering he only played like 30 games this year. Also, I don't see why anyone thinks shortstop is an issue to address this offseason after what Aviles did this year. Of course we need depth, but as far as I'm concerned, we should feel pretty good about Aviles at shortstop next year.

ChiefsCountry
09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I think Furcal is a pretty risky signing considering he only played like 30 games this year. Also, I don't see why anyone thinks shortstop is an issue to address this offseason after what Aviles did this year. Of course we need depth, but as far as I'm concerned, we should feel pretty good about Aviles at shortstop next year.

I think its more about filling both of the infield positions. And there seems to be more talent to fill shortstop than second base.

blueballs
09-28-2008, 07:42 PM
PBJ
no more Royals threads
PBJ

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I think its more about filling both of the infield positions. And there seems to be more talent to fill shortstop than second base.

I know what you mean, but if Callaspo can be counted on, which I'm not sure about because of his off-field stuff, we could direct that money toward another starting pitcher (left-hander) and a power bat (Dunn?).

Ari Chi3fs
09-28-2008, 07:51 PM
now if the White Sox beat the Tigers tomorrow, we end up in 4th place. If Tigers win, we tie.

So, tomorrow I am rooting or the White Sox... then the Sox and Twins play a playin game on Tuesday.

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
now if the White Sox beat the Tigers tomorrow, we end up in 4th place. If Tigers win, we tie.

So, tomorrow I am rooting or the White Sox... then the Sox and Twins play a playin game on Tuesday.

Good point. Sox tomorrow. Twins on Tues.

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Move Aviles to Second, get a free agent SS, cut Tony Pena Jr.
Get a real catcher. Either pay Olivo or trade for somebody, John Buck has got to go.
Can't have a guy who goes on an O for 50 streak like Buck did in August.
Need to sign Greinke for the long term, or trade him now while we can get top value.
Have to make a decision on Guillen. Is his production worth the Diva BS?

Progress in small steps. We didn't lose 90 this year. That's a good thing.

Deberg_1990
09-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Guillen is fine. He put up his career average numbers.

Should the Royals go out and try to add another "proven" power bat?

Or do they pray Gordon, Butler, Ka'aihue , and Shealy fully develop??

KCUnited
09-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Olivo projects to be the best catcher in FA. Resigning him is a must.

BWillie
09-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Soria must start next year. There is absolutely no use in letting your 1st or 2nd best pitcher only pitch 70 innings when he could pitch 220. It just doesn't make any since. He has like 5 pitches, and he was never a reliever until he was a Royal. I think it was fine to start him out in the pen, but it's time for him to move into a larger role. With Soria as a starting pitcher thats 7-10 more wins right off the bat. I don't care what anybody says, the closer is one of the most overrated positions in baseball. Theres not a HUGE difference between a great closer and a good closer. Soria is one of the best closers in baseball but as long as we don't have Ambroix Burgos closing for us next year we should be fine.

tk13
09-28-2008, 09:28 PM
This was in the Star today.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/817022.html

There was Moore’s public pronouncement Sept. 2 in The Star. And there was the more private meeting, shortly thereafter, in which he bluntly informed the players that (a) he was coming back; (b) manager Trey Hillman was coming back; and (c) not all of them were coming back.

It might not be a coincidence that the Royals will complete their best month in years this afternoon when they conclude the 2008 season against the Minnesota Twins at the Metrodome.

beavis
09-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Move Aviles to Second, get a free agent SS, cut Tony Pena Jr.
Get a real catcher. Either pay Olivo or trade for somebody, John Buck has got to go.
Can't have a guy who goes on an O for 50 streak like Buck did in August.
Need to sign Greinke for the long term, or trade him now while we can get top value.
Have to make a decision on Guillen. Is his production worth the Diva BS?

Progress in small steps. We didn't lose 90 this year. That's a good thing.

Agree with all of this. But I'm curious as to who you think would be available that's better than Buck?

tk13
09-28-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't think Olivo is going to want to re-sign. And I don't know who is that much better than Buck... not to mention the pitchers all seem to like Buck. He had a really down year though, not sure what we're going to do there.

Coach
09-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't think Olivo is going to want to re-sign. And I don't know who is that much better than Buck... not to mention the pitchers all seem to like Buck. He had a really down year though, not sure what we're going to do there.

Agreed on Olivo that he's not going to resign, and I don't blame him. As for Buck, he just needs to go, period. Buck is not your typical catcher. Sure he may call a good one now and then, but he can't defend the ball well, he can't throw out runners, and he sure as hell can't play offense at all. Not your ideal catcher.

The Royals had a chance to get a real catcher in Weiters, but they blew that one, IIRC. Catcher should be one of their "must-do" list in this off-season, along with out-right releasing Buck.

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 10:38 PM

If Buck is released, the Olivo situation might be able to be smoothed over. He wants to start, and if he's assured he'll have that opportunity, his "rift" with Hillman might quickly become a thing of the past.

Wilson8
09-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Olivo has said he would only come back if he was the number 1 catcher. that won't happen, so he won't be back. John Buck really did not have a down year. He really is not very good. He is a career .234 hitter. Pitchers do seem to like him but that just may be that he is a nice guy and not so much because of his great skills at handling a game.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 07:22 AM
I think Olivo was the better catcher overall.