PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So...

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Generally, I give the coaches of professional teams the benefit of the doubt over "know-it-all" fans...

But Herb friggin' Taylor played great at LT today and you cannot tell me he isn't better than dumbass McIntosh at RT...

and the fact DeMorrio Williams has been riding the bench the whole year with our awful LB'ing core is ridiculous...

and Surtain doesn't deserve his starting spot back when he's healthy...I think Carr has been our best CB so far...and Flowers has been pretty damn good as well.

**** our coaches.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Agreed.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, if we're gonna have a negative Chiefs thread today this should be it. The playcalling in the beginning of the game was atrocious. The players dominated today in spite of the play calling, not because of it. Herm and Carl still need to be shown the door.

Delano
09-28-2008, 07:23 PM
You can add a 'WTF' to the BJ Sams returning over Savage and Charles situation.

T-post Tom
09-28-2008, 07:26 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

LiL stumppy
09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Carr still had a few mistakes but has played much better than expected. I thought Taylor should have started over McIntosh at the beginning. But for some reason he isn't there :rolleyes:

chiefbowe82
09-28-2008, 07:28 PM
same thing Kennison starting over bowe last season

MyChiefConcern
09-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Generally, I give the coaches of professional teams the benefit of the doubt over "know-it-all" fans...

But Herb friggin' Taylor played great at LT today and you cannot tell me he isn't better than dumbass McIntosh at RT...

and the fact DeMorrio Williams has been riding the bench the whole year with our awful LB'ing core is ridiculous...

and Surtain doesn't deserve his starting spot back when he's healthy...I think Carr has been our best CB so far...and Flowers has been pretty damn good as well.

**** our coaches.

Agree with everything you said.

DeezNutz
09-28-2008, 07:31 PM

**** our coaches.

I was really impressed with the play of our young corners today. Even when Carr was beaten for the TD, he was attempting to make a play on the ball. Very good signs!

aturnis
09-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Wow...is this going to get Hootie rep?

Ari Chi3fs
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I reserve my right to hold my opinion until I read the FOOTBALL GURU Mecca's opinion on this.

dtrain
It's amazing when Hermy says best player will play and that's not totally the case. If it's someone they have talked up they will play no matter what.

Pitt Gorilla

**** our coaches.Agreed on all accounts. Taylor played really well. The young corners were outstanding. Should Carl/Herm get credit for the young talent?

Douche Baggins
09-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Agreed on all accounts. Taylor played really well. The young corners were outstanding. Should Carl/Herm get credit for the young talent?

NO!

CARL AND HERM ARE TERRIBLE AND MUST BE FIRED!!!

PhillyChiefFan
09-28-2008, 07:35 PM
So move Albert to RT and Taylor to LT?

evolve27
09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I reserve my right to hold my opinion until I read the FOOTBALL GURU Mecca's opinion on this.

Short Leash Hootie

I suggested that in another thread.

MIAdragon
NO!

yes, yes they should.

luv
09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
NO!

You know not what you speak. The Chiefs had a good game. Like Huard, they should be considered our Saviours and kept on longer. /sarcasm

Actually, they will probably win just enough that they can say it's the rebuild, and people will believe it.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
NO!

I'll give Herm credit for plucking up some good players in the draft...but his game day coaching is awful...the game planning is generally awful...he needs to just stand there and hire coordinators that are capable of game planning and calling plays...and he needs someone better than Dick Curl telling him when to use a timeout and when to call for a challenge.

I don't care if it's a half yard out...LJ scored on that 1st down and there was no reason for him not to throw the red flag.

Agent V
09-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Oh, but Mcintosh said it's so DIFFICULT to adjust to that kind of position change. He's STILL learning.

Short Leash Hootie
The fact Thigpen started over Huard was flat out insanely ridiculous.

Tyler Thigpen doesn't belong on a friggin' CFL roster let alone starter for an NFL franchise.

Probably a nice kid...but he's not an NFL QB and he never will be an NFL QB...starting him because he was young was just flat out retarded.

I'm ok with Croyle even if he's a temporary downgrade from Huard because at least he has potential to be an NFL QB...

Short Leash Hootie
Also...

Isn't it sad that McIntosh was our best lineman last year?

Disgusting.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Also...

Isn't it sad that McIntosh was our best lineman last year?

Disgusting.

Can't be, we had Svitek.

blueballs
09-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Gailey brought them Cox
he's golden

milkman
09-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Taylor gas done a good job when called upon at LT, but Albert is more athletic, has quicker feet, and longer arms.

He's also bigger and stronger.

He's played exceptionally well given that he missed most of TC and preseason, so fell behind on the learning process.

You don't move that guy from LT.

You put Taylor at RT, and you have the franchise LT, and the bookend RT to anchor your line for the next 10-12 years.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Taylor gas done a good job when called upon at LT, but Albert is more athletic, has quicker feet, and longer arms.

He's played exceptionally well given that he missed most of TC and preseason, so fell behind on the learning process.

You put Taylor at RT, and you have the franchise LT, and the bookend RT to anchor your line for the next 10-12 years.
That's cool, but do you think Taylor is undersized for a RT?

Curious on your take as you seem to be pretty smart when it comes to offensive lineman.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM

No. Move neither.

Branden Albert's already been injured twice this season. If Herb Taylor would have been moved to the right side, guess who would be the starting left tackle?

The one and only Damien McIntosh.

No thanks.

Maybe next year they can consider moving Herb to the right side, if they've drafted another left tackle.

Until then, Herb's the man to backup that spot.

Skip Towne
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I'll give Herm credit for plucking up some good players in the draft...but his game day coaching is awful...the game planning is generally awful...he needs to just stand there and hire coordinators that are capable of game planning and calling plays...and he needs someone better than Dick Curl telling him when to use a timeout and when to call for a challenge.

I don't care if it's a half yard out...LJ scored on that 1st down and there was no reason for him not to throw the red flag.

Herm wanted to throw the flag but he lost it.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm down with that, then we can draft a RG and C in the draft that fits Gaileys scheme. Taylor has proved himself at the T position, just let him progress now.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:46 PM
3 fumbles for LJ so far this season...not really like him to fumble so often.

The Bad Guy
09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Niswanger absolutely has to be moved to RG next year.

We have to get a center in free agency, and a backup LG option once Waters retires. Heading into next year, we should have Albert and Taylor as our tackles.

DJ and DeMorrio should be the OLBs. Move Tamba back to LE.

This team will need a QB, WR, C, MLB and DE.

Thankfully, they have boatloads of cap space to get these players.

milkman
09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
That's cool, but do you think Taylor is undersized for a RT?

Curious on your take as you seem to be pretty smart when it comes to offensive lineman.

Taylor is a bit undersized, but I think the thing he does well is use leverage.

That is something that is really useful against the guys that line up opposite him at LDE in pass rush.

He can also use that leverage to hold his block at the point of attack in run blocking.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Taylor is a bit undersized, but I think the thing he does well is use leverage.

That is something that is really useful against the guys that line up opposite him at LDE in pass rush.

He can also use that leverage to hold his block at the point of attack in run blocking.

Good info. You are pretty much spot on about lineman from what I've read the last year or so...

Zouk
09-28-2008, 07:51 PM
You may be right about Herb, but McIntosh did have an absolute monster block on LJ's 65 yard run on the 1st series. I think they want a bigger guy on the right side. But I've got no problem with putting Herb in.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:51 PM

We have to get a center in free agency, and a backup LG option once Waters retires. Heading into next year, we should have Albert and Taylor as our tackles.

This is a pipe dream right now and ridiculous to even predict or mention...

But I would love to see us land Oher, move Albert to LG (he'd be one of the best guards in the league IMO), Waters to C, Niswanger to RG and Taylor at RT...that sounds like one hell of a line to me.

People might complain about using a #15 on a LG but if he's an all-pro at that position what's the big deal?

evolve27
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM

Is Niswanger strong enough to play RG? When is this Kevin Robinson guy gonna see the field as a WR as well, cause it seems that Bowe is all we have and Darling is not going to be a Chief next year?

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
oh and, there were a number of times where Huard was THIS close to getting hit right at the point of release which would have resulted in a number of fumbles from both the left and right side...so we're still a long ways away.

The Bad Guy
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
This is a pipe dream right now and ridiculous to even predict or mention...

But I would love to see us land Oher, move Albert to LG (he'd be one of the best guards in the league IMO), Waters to C, Niswanger to RG and Taylor at RT...that sounds like one hell of a line to me.

People might complain about using a #15 on a LG but if he's an all-pro at that position what's the big deal?

I think this is the year to get the QB in the draft.

I really think Albert is going to be a very good LT. He performed exceptionally well for someone who missed all of TC learning a new position.

If we have a QB like a Stafford or Bradford (if he comes out), then we are really building toward something.

It would be great to have a super young line. However, having Albert, Waters, (insert FA here), Niswanger and Taylor, we have a really nice athletic, young offensive line that would excel at pass protection for a young QB.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Is Niswanger strong enough to play RG? When is this Kevin Robinson guy gonna see the field as a WR as well, cause it seems that Bowe is all we have?

This is why I like Huard at QB...

He looks for Bowe and Gonzalez and really, that's it...and I'm ok with that because with the lack of talent we have at the receiver position, when throwing the ball we might as well have our playmakers making the plays.

I really liked our gameplan today outside of our goal line calls.

The Bad Guy
09-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Is Niswanger strong enough to play RG? When is this Kevin Robinson guy gonna see the field as a WR as well, cause it seems that Bowe is all we have?

He played there and did a nice job.

I just think he's way out of position at center.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 07:57 PM

I really think Albert is going to be a very good LT. He performed exceptionally well for someone who missed all of TC learning a new position.

If we have a QB like a Stafford or Bradford (if he comes out), then we are really building toward something.

It would be great to have a super young line. However, having Albert, Waters, (insert FA here), Niswanger and Taylor, we have a really nice athletic, young offensive line that would excel at pass protection for a young QB.

If this happens, I really hope we keep Huard and Croyle (or bring in someone like Brian Griese) and sit our #1 QB 3rd on the depth chart. I don't care if he outplays both of them in camp...if we draft Stafford/Sanchez/Bradford I don't want any of those guys to sniff the field in 2009.

I think that's just a recipe for disaster. I also think most fans on this site would be ok with another year of Huard if we have a guy like Bradford who we know will be the starter in 2010...

You can't tell me a win like this isn't good for this team's morale. I think most of us have finally given up on Croyle so playing the best QB at this time and getting those 6 wins is very important for the young guys on this team IMO.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 08:01 PM

If this happens, I really hope we keep Huard and Croyle (or bring in someone like Brian Griese) and sit our #1 QB 3rd on the depth chart. I don't care if he outplays both of them in camp...if we draft Stafford/Sanchez/Bradford I don't want any of those guys to sniff the field in 2009.

I think that's just a recipe for disaster. I also think most fans on this site would be ok with another year of Huard if we have a guy like Bradford who we know will be the starter in 2010...

You can't tell me a win like this isn't good for this team's morale. I think most of us have finally given up on Croyle so playing the best QB at this time and getting those 6 wins is very important for the young guys on this team IMO.

Exactly. Good points. I would be elated if we land Bradford even though he plays for OK.

boogblaster
09-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Taylor is damn good .. fast feet and blocking ability .. don't know why he's riding the bench ... Mc did a decent job today I thought .....

aturnis
09-28-2008, 08:04 PM
When is this Kevin Robinson guy gonna see the field as a WR as well.

I believe he went on the pup list. He can return after week 6, and then they have a few weeks I believe to either activate him, cut him or put him on IR. Someone else would know more. Mine is just an semi-educated guess.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
If Savage keeps it up on the returns, we won't even remember a Kevin Robinson existed in this franchise next year.

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I wonder how Richardson is doing? I always thought he could be an excellent guard, but I'm no talent scout.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 08:17 PM
If Savage keeps it up on the returns, we won't even remember a Kevin Robinson existed in this franchise next year.

Yeah, we won't know till he gets a chance, but with Savages return ability well we might just move on a draft a legit #2 WR of the DeSean Jackson or Eddie Royal small speedy-type frame would open up the run game and compete with Franklin.

The Bad Guy
09-28-2008, 08:18 PM

I agree with you. I'm not putting a rookie QB on the field next year.

I'm signing a Jeff Garcia type. I think he could do well here for a year while we get someone ready.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:21 PM
I agree with you. I'm not putting a rookie QB on the field next year.

I'm signing a Jeff Garcia type. I think he could do well here for a year while we get someone ready.

If we have a running game, I don't really see a difference between Garcia and Huard, I'd be ok with both.

Shit...

Garcia/Huard/Rookie 1st rounder works for me.

If we fill some of our holes we could compete next year for a playoff spot with Jeff Garcia running the show and we could be developing a QB of the future at the same time who can take over the team in 2010 or 2011 when all of our great young prospects are reaching their full potential a la Aaron Rodgers.

I think that's the current blueprint in this copycat league.

keg in kc
09-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I'd want somebody better than Huard mentoring a QB, but I'm not sure who you could get to come fill the role.

milkman
09-28-2008, 08:23 PM
I wonder how Richardson is doing? I always thought he could be an excellent guard, but I'm no talent scout.

I don't know what to think of Richardson.

I like his size, and he is really athletic and graceful for a man his size.

A guy with his natural ability and size should be able to play RT at an All Pro level.

Because of his natural ability, it made me think at one point, because of Herb Taylor's instinctive use of leverage, that he's (Taylor) a guy that should be trasitioned to center.

The center position in this offense, more than any, is one that has to be able to get leverage, moreso than using brute strength.

If Richardson were to pan out, it's still an option that I would like to see the Chiefs consider.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd want somebody better than Huard mentoring a QB, but I'm not sure who you could get to come fill the role.

I don't know...what's not to like about Huard as a mentor? It's not like the first round super talented rookie QB is going to learn how to be immobile and Huard-like...

I don't think Brett Favre mentored Aaron Rodgers.

I think the idea of having a QB sit a few years is so they can learn the speed of the game by watching, partaking in practices and preseason, and really learning the system and becoming comfortable with teammates and coaches and the NFL life.

I think that has had more to do with Rodgers' success as opposed to him "learning" behind Favre.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 08:26 PM

I want to see him on the field maybe play for Adrian Jone's spot this year. He fell pretty far down in the draft which is strange even though he had alot of experience at Clemson @ LT putting up 141 career knockdown blocks which is pretty impressive and is known for his size. Upside is there if he can get healthy and is put in a G IMO.

milkman
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't know...what's not to like about Huard as a mentor? It's not like the first round super talented rookie QB is going to learn how to be immobile and Huard-like...

I think the idea of having a QB sit a few years is so they can learn the speed of the game by watching, partaking in practices and preseason, and really learning the system and becoming comfortable with teammates and coaches and the NFL life.

I think that has had more to do with Rodgers' success as opposed to him "learning" behind Favre.

Rogers did an interveiw on the Dan Patrick show.

He said that Favre wasn't really receptive to him in his rookie season, but he warmed up to him in his second season and he really learned a lot from favre.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I think we got some really great value out of our 5th (Carr), 6th (Richardson) and 7th (Johnston) round picks...

For that alone Herm should probably get another year or two, Carl needs to be gone though. Something needs to be done to win back the fans.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Rogers did an interveiw on the Dan Patrick show.

He said that Favre wasn't really receptive to him in his rookie season, but he warmed up to him in his second season and he really learned a lot from favre.

Well ok I'm not going to argue that and it might be true and I might be way off base, but what else is he going to say?

Would I rather have Brett Favre lead the Chiefs next season with our rookie QB on the bench opposed to Huard? Yes.

But I think, if Huard is good for ONE thing, it is being a positive role model for a young guy...

From what I hear/read, he has been very supportive of Croyle. I'm not saying that has helped Croyle develop as a QB, but we're seeing now that Croyle really should have never seen the field last year with our pathetic team/coaching...there is nothing worse than a QB with shattered confidence and I think Croyle is done.

milkman
09-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Well ok I'm not going to argue that and it might be true and I might be way off base, but what else is he going to say?

Would I rather have Brett Favre lead the Chiefs next season with our rookie QB on the bench opposed to Huard? Yes.

But I think, if Huard is good for ONE thing, it is being a positive role model for a young guy...

From what I hear/read, he has been very supportive of Croyle. I'm not saying that has helped Croyle develop as a QB, but we're seeing now that Croyle really should have never seen the field last year with our pathetic team/coaching...there is nothing worse than a QB with shattered confidence and I think Croyle is done.

While we disagree on why he's done, we do agree that Croyle is/should be done.

keg in kc
09-28-2008, 08:33 PM

I think that has had more to do with Rodgers' success as opposed to him "learning" behind Favre.I can't think of any quality Huard has that I'd want a young quarterback to imitate. I guess if you want to try and train someone to be an occasionally competent game manager who folds under pressure in the pocket, he's our guy.

If the idea is to start winning in the next year we need someone better. If Huard wants to hang around and hold a clipboard, that's fine.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm torn right now.

I know that we aren't going to win a lot of games this year. I also think Huard is our most efficient QB and I think it does wonders for our young guys, especially on offense, to have some positive drives here and there and get something positive going...

but I mean, what's the point of not giving Croyle another shot when he's healthy? I don't know...I'm up in the air at this point and wouldn't be upset at either decision...I'm ok with Croyle getting his spot back or I'm ok with Huard keeping his spot.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I can't think of any quality Huard has that I'd want a young quarterback to imitate. I guess if you want to try and train someone to be an occasionally competent game manager who folds under pressure in the pocket, he's our guy.

If the idea is to start winning in the next year we need someone better.

He made some good reads and staying in the pocket and occasionally rolling out to hit the open reciever(Bowe). Croyle seems to rush the throw and doesn't display nearly as much awareness that comes from learning how to read defenses/hitting open recievers/accuracy/and more importantly winning.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
I can't think of any quality Huard has that I'd want a young quarterback to imitate. I guess if you want to try and train someone to be an occasionally competent game manager who folds under pressure in the pocket, he's our guy.

If the idea is to start winning in the next year we need someone better. If Huard wants to hang around and hold a clipboard, that's fine.

I don't think a young QB would imitate Damon Huard...Huard is definitely athletically limited and nowhere near possesses the qualities of a top prospect at QB...so the "fetal position" problem we have with Damon probably wouldn't be something we'd have to worry about with a guy like Bradford.

Either way, Garcia/Huard/Croyle/FRIGGIN' Thigpen...I don't care...if we take a QB top 10 next year I don't want him to sniff the field.

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:40 PM
He made some good reads and staying in the pocket and occasionally rolling out to hit the open reciever(Bowe). Croyle seems to rush the throw and doesn't display nearly as much awareness that comes from learning how to read defenses/hitting open recievers/accuracy/and more importantly winning.

Well Huard makes some reads sometimes and he has a lot more poise in the pocket, but most of the time he knows where he's throwing the ball before he takes the snap...we don't have a great pass blocking line and Huard isn't great at progressing through his reads, we all know that...but he throws a catchable ball most of the time and targets our best offensive players and if LJ is going he can win games and he's always shown that while he has been in KC.

We can do much worse (Thigpen)...

evolve27
09-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Well Huard makes some reads sometimes and he has a lot more poise in the pocket, but most of the time he knows where he's throwing the ball before he takes the snap...we don't have a great pass blocking line and Huard isn't great at progressing through his reads, we all know that...but he throws a catchable ball most of the time and targets our best offensive players and if LJ is going he can win games and he's always shown that while he has been in KC.

We can do much worse (Thigpen)...

Yeah, I don't remember where I read it but when LJ is on he's statistically gives us a 65% better chance of winning.

the Talking Can
09-28-2008, 08:44 PM
collectively our coaches' brains couldn't power a pen light...

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I think eventually I'll be ok with Herm and Chan I just think Gunther is way out of his element.

I don't know, I change my mind every week.

Douche Baggins
09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I think eventually I'll be ok with Herm and Chan I just think Gunther is way out of his element.

I don't know, I change my mind every week.

Did you see Gunther blitz on the goal line today?

He wasn't going to sit back with the game on the line at all...

evolve27
09-28-2008, 08:49 PM
collectively our coaches' brains couldn't power a pen light...

So the pen light puts out more?...

Results.

keg in kc
09-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think a young QB would imitate Damon Huard...Huard is definitely athletically limited and nowhere near possesses the qualities of a top prospect at QB...so the "fetal position" problem we have with Damon probably wouldn't be something we'd have to worry about with a guy like Bradford.

Either way, Garcia/Huard/Croyle/FRIGGIN' Thigpen...I don't care...if we take a QB top 10 next year I don't want him to sniff the field.I agree with that.

I suppose the main point of my argument is that I'd like someone I consider a winning QB starting, and that's not Huard. I'm talking about a good vet who can get us to the level of a 9- or 10-game winner next season. But, as I said, how do you get that here, if, at the same time, we plan to bring in a rookie who'll be handed the job in 2010 or 2011....

Although I really don't see us drafting QB.

evolve27
09-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Although I really don't see us drafting QB.

Really? That seemed to be one of our bigger needs in this years draft and we just put it on queue to give Croyle a chance and I don't believe we have our QBOTF on this team and that just bumps up our need for a QB in this upcoming draft.

FAX
09-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Lenny said that McInTrash had the key block that busted LJ for that 65 yarder today. If so, I forgive him but he still needs to be benched. Keep Albert at LT, keep Herbie as his backup for this season, and let McInTool keep working on his technique. Next year, though, we need some decent depth at o-line if we can possibly find it so we can move Herbie to RT which, I believe, is the best possible solution based on the players we have now. If, however, we could find a good center someplace, I'd move Niswanger to RG. We could potentially have the makings of a pretty decent line, at that point.

FAX