PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Woody Paige: Prediction for great game from L.J. pans out in victory

Count Alex's Losses
09-28-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm on cloud nine.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/817905-p2.html

By WOODY PAIGE
The Denver Post

On an early-morning flight from Atlanta to Kansas City, the two passengers seated in row 18 giggled incessantly.

“What’s so funny?” a Denver man trying to sleep snarled at the women, who were wearing matching, reddish Chiefs “27” jerseys. “KC’s no good.”

“Larry’s going to have a great game today. He always does against Denver,” one of the young ladies said with a chortle.

“How do you know?”

“He’s my brother.”

Larry Johnson had a fire-breathing Godzilla game against the Broncos, who were as defenseless as the Tokyo business district underfoot.

As sister Teresa said, and Mother Teresa would agree, Johnson always is a monster against the Broncos. In four previous starts, Johnson rushed for 151, 140, 126 and 157 yards and five touchdowns. The Chiefs won three.

Johnson missed the two games with the Broncos last year. The Chiefs lost both.

He outdid himself and outplayed the Broncos by himself this time. Johnson finished with 28 carries for 198 yards and two touchdowns.

Two carries were rather elite — a 65-yard rumble at the gut of the Broncos on the Chiefs’ second play of the game and a 16-yard touchdown run on the Chiefs’ last play of the game when he was clogged in congestion at left tackle, then squirted free for 16 yards and the last touchdown of a 33-19 victory.

Johnson, according to Broncos cornerback Drè Bly, “was able to make some runs,” which is like saying Paul Newman was able to make some movies.

Bly and Johnson had a running conversation on the field.

“When I was a second-year player and (Bly) was with Detroit, he was always busting on me about getting scrap time — something about Penn State running backs were busts. I got hurt last year and didn’t get to go at him. So I definitely wanted to go at him today,” said Johnson, who went at, over, around and through.

Priest Holmes, Christian Okoye and Abner Haynes aside, Johnson is the Bronco-eater. But he is not lonesome in that role. Dating to last season, the Broncos have dropped six in a row when permitting a 100-yard day by a running back.

Hundreds of No. 27s were spread throughout Arrowhead Stadium, and the Broncos couldn’t tackle the problem.

At the end, two guys shaped like Laurel and Hardy — hardly resembling the 6-foot-1, 230-pound Nittany Lion (and son of a Penn State assistant) — danced in the stands. In the 18th row, seven people, of eight, were wearing Johnson jerseys. (The eighth was in a No. 7 Broncos facsimile jersey, possibly honoring John Elway’s engagement.)

The Johnsonians were as plentiful as The Flying Elvises.

Johnson and the Broncos gave life to the stiffs. Between Johnson’s runs and the Broncos’ turnovers, this affair was reminiscent of the old K.C.-Denver late December games here, without the freeze.

Two interceptions thrown by Jay Cutler and two fumbles after catches by Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall were devastating to the Broncos. Larry Alphonso Johnson’s running was as destructive.

The Chiefs’ gameplan was rather unpretentious and minimal: A frontal assault by Johnson, the Human Humvee.

Seven of the Chiefs’ first 14 plays were Johnson up the middle, Johnson at right tackle, Johnson at left tackle and Johnson for 65 yards . “I think it helped everybody in understanding that we could run the ball,” said Johnson, who had 93 by halftime.

When the Broncos trimmed the Chiefs’ lead to a surmountable seven points with eight minutes to go, the Chiefs went to Johnson for four yards, then threw twice, but returned to Johnson, Johnson, Johnson before a field goal distanced them at 26-16.

After the Broncos responded with their own field goal, it was more Johnson & Johnson — at the right side for 34 yards at the two-minute warning, straight up for five, the same place for three more and at the left side for the 16-yard touchdown.

The Broncos knew what was coming on every place and were helpless, hapless and hopeless. “My history against the Broncos has been to run the football very well,” Johnson said.

Unlike San Diego’s LaDainian Tomlinson, who had a turf toe, and Oakland’s Darren McFadden, who didn’t factor because his team fell so far behind so early, and unlike New Orleans’ Reggie Bush, who was used more as a receiver, Johnson got the opportunities because the Chiefs went ahead in the first quarter and stayed in front. The KC QB-of-the-week didn’t have to pass often.

Johnson’s 198 yards exactly doubled the Broncos’ three running backs’ production.

But that was nothing fresh. Johnson has rushed for his second-highest career total against the Broncos — 785 yards. Oakland is, of course, worst. And now he has the longest gain of his six seasons through the Broncos.

As Johnson strolled off the field Sunday afternoon and waved to a red sea of Chiefs jerseys, every one with his number on the front and his name on the back, he waved and untucked his 27 Johnson jersey from his pants. The Broncos barely laid a hand on that jersey.

Somewhere in the stadium, two women were giggling.

L.A. Chieffan
09-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Denvers defense sucks.

blueballs
09-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Paige sucks at writing
he sucked a little less on tv

Short Leash Hootie
09-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I like Woody Paige...most don't like him, but I think he brings something a little different to the table with his style.

Buehler445
09-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Larry Johnson had a fire-breathing Godzilla game against the Broncos, ...

That is really a pretty good description.

Credit where credit is due. LJ opened up a can on these ****ers. It was fanfreakingtastic to see LJ laying lumber and running angry again. I like it. He still doesn't look as quick as he used to, but he was running angry. Not only was he running angry, but he was running well. He used some nice cutback moves instead of diving into D-linemen and expressed some nice vision.

He could very well go back to the soft LJ, but here's to hoping today's performance is enough to get the offense rolling and letting Herm un Hermcuff Chan.

Der Flöprer
09-28-2008, 10:20 PM
It's no surprise that this is the first article I've ever read by Woody that I liked. I love him on TV, but his hatred of the Chiefs is well known. Days like today just feed that and it's fun watching him unravel.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I like Woody Paige...most don't like him, but I think he brings something a little different to the table with his style.

What does he bring to the table; the ability to make me need to take a shit every time I see, hear or read anything he has to say?