PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Rough day for Rookie Eric Walden

T-post Tom
09-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Two penalties and he let Spencer Larsen get past him on the onside kick. That was almost deadly. Like his passion, but he's got to play smarter.

Anyway, I was thinking about the Chiefs' outstanding special teams players over the years. Who's your top 5? My top 5 in no particular order...

Dante Hall
Nick Lowery
Jan Stenerud
Vanover
Colquitt (It's early, but I'm saying it.)

pr_capone
09-28-2008, 09:57 PM
But... but... according to the announcers, he is a DEMON on special teams!

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 10:00 PM
JFC.

The guy made like EVERY special teams tackle and apparently you missed it: He didn't let Larsen get past him, he STOPPED him from catching the onside kick.

This place is packed with people with football IQ's less than 10.

Again, JFC.

cdcox
09-28-2008, 10:01 PM
JFC.

The guy made like EVERY special teams tackle and apparently you missed it: He didn't let Larsen get past him, he STOPPED him from catching the onside kick.

Again, JFC.

That's the way I saw it. He gave Larsen a huge shove that kept Larsen from recovering the kick.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 10:02 PM
That's the way I saw it. He gave Larsen a huge shove that kept Larsen from recovering the kick.

I think some people are watching these games on 19" tube televisions.

pr_capone
09-28-2008, 10:06 PM

That was a thing of beauty.... I thought denver might have had it there for a second.

keg in kc
I think some people are watching these games on 19" tube televisions.Actually...I was.

DaneMcCloud
Actually...I was.

ROFL

Ooops...

Sorry, Holmes.

T-post Tom
09-28-2008, 10:11 PM
JFC.

Again, JFC.

Yeah, he made some tackles, but he made costly penalties that most coaches don't tolerate.

aturnis
09-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Gary Stills.

Iowanian
09-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Walden has been a great addition to the special teams. He's putting big hits, making solid tackles and playing with fire.

As to my favorites....at the time, I loved Bennie Thompson.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Walden has been a great addition to the special teams. He's putting big hits, making solid tackles and playing with fire.

That's what I told my, ahem, guest today. He reminded me of Bennie Thompson.

He didn't follow the Chiefs at that time so he wasn't familiar with him.

But Walden's doing an excellent job and Dacus did well in limited action also.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, he made some tackles, but he made costly penalties that most coaches don't tolerate.

Dude, I think you were watching a different game than every other Chief and Bronco fan watching today.

Walden was EVERYWHERE on special teams and saved the onside kick from falling into the Broncos hands.

Plus, he's a freaking ROOKIE.

Potential, potential, potential.

Iowanian
09-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I await him raising his leg over that trash talking, goober quarterback of Denver.....

ChiefsCountry
09-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Bennie "Peeing Dog" Thompson

Ceej
09-28-2008, 10:21 PM
It doesn't make a damnded bit of a difference. But, he did push Larsen in the back when he whalloped Savage.

Man, that was a nasty hit.

Buehler445
09-28-2008, 10:22 PM

The only ST penalty I remember is Darling's Facemask. Was there another?

Chiefshrink
09-28-2008, 10:23 PM

Marty loved Benny for sure and I can remember why! Most underrated ST player IMO.:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Marty loved Benny for sure and I can remember why! Most underrated ST player IMO.:thumb:

Underrated?

He went to the Pro-Bowl as a special teams player (but he was a psycho in real life. That's why the Chiefs let him to to Baltimore).

gblowfish
09-28-2008, 10:30 PM
When you say "Best Special Teams Player" that covers a lot of ground. Let's do this:

Kickers:
Stenerud
Lowery
Wilson
Colquitt

Returners:
Hall
Vanover
Noland Smith
JT Smith

Tacklers:
Benny Thompson
Mike Maslowski
Caeser Belser (nickname "The Headhunter")
Greg Manusky

Mecca
09-28-2008, 10:34 PM
If everyone else on the Chiefs played special teams like Eric Walden we wouldn't be having convos about how our special teams blow.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Dante
Colquitt
Greg Manusky
Albert Lewis
Derrick Blaylock

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2008, 10:48 PM
If everyone else on the Chiefs played special teams like Eric Walden we wouldn't be having convos about how our special teams blow.

Exactly

tk13
09-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Where's Rich Scanlon on this list! Come on people!

Mecca
09-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Where's Rich Scanlon on this list! Come on people!

Oh no....

ChiefsCountry
09-28-2008, 10:51 PM
the kicker that shall go unamed
John Baker
Justin Medlock
Daniel Pope
Eddie Drummond

Oh crap, wrong list. ;)

Rain Man
09-28-2008, 10:52 PM
I too thought Walden had a good day, not a bad day.

I enjoyed it back when Todd McNair and Danan Hughes and Greg Manusky ran wild. Those guys really took pride in their work, and they seemed to have some sort of competition about who would make the tackle. They were great to watch. In later years, I'll always fondly remember Keith Cash's blocked punt in the '93 playoffs.

However, the all-time #1 Chiefs' special teams player can only be Albert Lewis. That dude had a unique talent for blocking kicks.

Molitoth
09-29-2008, 09:27 AM

+1

KCUnited
09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
The only ST penalty I remember is Darling's Facemask. Was there another?

Holding call on the opening kickoff.

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 10:03 AM
JFC.The guy made like EVERY special teams tackle and apparently you missed it: He didn't let Larsen get past him, he STOPPED him from catching the onside kick. This place is packed with people with football IQ's less than 10.Again, JFC.

Wow, Walden gets credited with one tackle and one assist and suddenly "The guy made like EVERY special teams tackle..." I think maybe you need to reexamine your own football IQ, genius. That or you drank a little too much Kirkland Vodka before and during the game. And from my angle during the game, it looked like Walden was supposed to block Larsen and he didn't. That could be a mistake on my part as I didn't see the replay. But I'll stand by it until someone puts up a video showing otherwise. (Clayton, you working on that?) That said, I'll put my football knowledge up against yours any day of the week. Especially Sunday. Here's a snapshot of what I could find online. It's a snapshot from a video. The full video clearly shows a Chief player missing a block on Larsen and almost making an illegal block in the back. [http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ad0bfa] I thought it was Walden when I saw it live. Can't tell from this video.

Saulbadguy
09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
JJ Moses

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Holding call on the opening kickoff.

Thank you.

Fish
09-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Louie ****ing Aguiar

1 punt blocked... ever.... and the guy could rock some returners when he had to... he hit like a linebacker....

T-post Tom
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Louie ****ing Aguiar

1 punt blocked... ever.... and the guy could rock some returners when he had to... he hit like a linebacker....

And he did it Lance Armstrong style. God bless him.

Lzen
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Bennie "Peeing Dog" Thompson

Benny was awesome. One of my favs, for sure. But I also thought Greg Manusky was a very good ST player.

blueballs
09-29-2008, 11:19 AM
This should be the #1 topic today
bar none
Walden fail or pass

TrickyNicky
09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Louie ****ing Aguiar

And he could fill in as an emergency QB.

Micjones
09-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Tamarick Vanover, Bennie Thompson, Jan Stenerud, Nick Lowery and Dante Hall.

Gary Stills gets the honorable mention.

RustShack
09-29-2008, 12:47 PM
JJ Moses

:thumb:

Micjones
09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Walden's bound to have a bad day here and there.
Overall though he's been a pleasant surprise on Special Teams.

I hope he gets a look on defense.