PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Novak finally gets his kicks with Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
09-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Novak finally gets his kicks with Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/818287.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
Kansas City Star

He could come clean once the Chiefs had finished their 33-19 win over Denver on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. Nick Novak didn’t want Larry Johnson to score the final, clinching touchdown.

Novak, the Chiefs’ kicker, was instead hoping he would be summoned for the points that would put the game out of reach. The point became moot when Johnson burst loose for a 16-yard score with 1 minute, 37 seconds remaining.

“I wanted to keep them coming,” said Novak, who had already kicked four field goals and missed a fifth. “I don’t know what the record is. I wanted to make a kick when the team needed it the most. Everybody else on the team made plays when they needed to and I had to do the same.”

The club record for field goals in a game is five, which was done three times by Jan Stenerud and four times by Nick Lowery. Stenerud played 13 seasons for the Chiefs and now is a member of both the Pro Football and Chiefs Halls of Fame. Lowery kicked 14 seasons for the Chiefs.

That Novak came so close to a hallowed team record in only his fourth game with the Chiefs speaks more for an offense that became ultraconservative after entering field-goal position than an outstanding individual achievement.

“It’s a good day,” said Novak, who was successful from 23, 21, 43 and 33 yards and was wide right from 48 yards. “I didn’t have a lot of kicks the first couple of games. Obviously I’m disappointed for the one (he missed). I didn’t attack it. The rest I hit well.”

Still, given the Chiefs’ troubles at kicker last season, Novak might have gone a long way toward solidifying his roster spot. He was one for two entering Sunday’s game after making a 40-yarder in New England and missing a 32-yarder in Atlanta last week.

Novak was in no mood to consider any such possibility on Sunday.

“I don’t have any negative thoughts in my head,” he said. “To be great in this league, you have to be confident, overly confident. To have those thoughts … you really can’t think about that.”

SNR
09-29-2008, 01:40 AM
We still made the wrong decision, I think. NoSak's kickoffs aren't any better than Barth's, Tynes', or even Morten fuggin Andersen's.

pr_capone
09-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Novak can DIAF for all I care.

I hope there is someone worth dropping a 3rd pick on in the draft at K this year.

Tribal Warfare
09-29-2008, 01:59 AM
We still made the wrong decision, I think. NoSak's kickoffs aren't any better than Barth's, Tynes', or even Morten fuggin Andersen's.

at least Anderson made all his FGs

Count Zarth
09-29-2008, 02:03 AM

Novak's kickoffs were outstanding today.

Mecca
09-29-2008, 02:14 AM
I think we should have kept Barth instead.

chiefs1111
09-29-2008, 02:48 AM
I think we should have kept Barth instead.

same here