PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Edwards feels less pressure after Chiefs finally win

Tribal Warfare
09-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Edwards feels less pressure after Chiefs finally win (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/818070.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Glenn Dorsey started believing in the first half, sometime around when Larry Johnson broke a 65-yard run. Derrick Johnson started believing in the fourth quarter, when the Chiefs scored an insurance touchdown.

Coach Herm Edwards was still pacing. He was walking the sideline, stealing a glance at the scoreboard and hoping the clock wouldn’t be so cruel. Time passes slowly when you’re winning, and it moves like cold molasses when you haven’t won in nearly a year.

Edwards couldn’t believe it, even when the seconds were ticking away.

“I looked up at the scoreboard,” he said after the Chiefs’ 33-19 win against Denver, “and said, ‘Oh my goodness, can we really win this game?’ ”

Edwards was trying to hold back a smile during his postgame meeting with reporters. He talked about the team’s strength and the defense’s purpose, the way it all came together as they’d been saying it would.

Sunday’s win validated Edwards’ vision, even if temporarily, and granted him a reprieve from pressure that, with each loss, was galvanizing him as an unpopular figure in Kansas City.

Edwards said late Sunday that the victory wasn’t about him. He said the players needed it. So did the fans.

But both the players and fans got some reassurance Sunday that Edwards knows what he’s doing and that the offseason decision to rebuild the team with draft picks and young free agents was the way to go.

“All this is for coach Herm,” said one of those draft picks, cornerback Brandon Flowers. “We work hard every day. We play hard, and when the outcome is not right, they put it all on the head coach. We just wanted to show everybody out there what Herm prepared us for.”

Edwards said this week he hadn’t sensed pressure. Not from frustrated veterans or impatient executives. Edwards said he expected a difficult year, albeit not as difficult as beginning the season with three losses.

The coach said that tested him. He said last week that he’s a patient man, but a 12-game losing streak is enough to test anyone’s will.

Edwards said the draft prep and the practices came together Sunday, and that gave the coach satisfaction.

“It’s about what we’re trying to do with this football team,” Edwards said. “We said we were going to rebuild with young players, and we’ve never deviated from that. That’s difficult, especially when you hit some troubled times, and if you look at troubled times and you act a different way and you let troubled times skew what you want to do, then you’re really not as strong as you think you are.”

Whether more wins or more losses lay ahead, Edwards said the Chiefs aren’t changing direction. He said he expects “peaks and valleys” throughout this season, and more valleys might be in the Chiefs’ immediate future than peaks.

But regardless of what happens next, they’ll always have Sunday.

“I just saw his face, like, ‘We did it.’ ” Flowers said. “He just knew once we got that first win, everybody knew what it felt like. We know what it feels like to win, and we don’t ever want to lose this feeling.”

cookster50
09-29-2008, 06:47 AM
I don't care, fire Herm.

King_Chief_Fan
09-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I don't care, fire Herm.

exactly. 1-12 record doesn't give that a clown any breathing room.

The timing of playing the worst D in the league at home at the right time is all this was. I saw plainly what happened against Oakland and Atlanta.

This one game proved nothing. It will prove something when it is sustained. So far an anomoly when looking at the last 13 games.

PhillyChiefFan
09-29-2008, 07:43 AM

The timing of playing the worst D in the league at home at the right time is all this was. I saw plainly what happened against Oakland and Atlanta.

This one game proved nothing. It will prove something when it is sustained. So far an anomoly when looking at the last 13 games.

Not to mention a monsterous turnover ratio.

I don't like the fact that he is asking himself "can we really win this game?" I mean really? Even if he was thinking that...why would you say that to the press.

Tuckdaddy
09-29-2008, 08:11 AM

YOU NEED LAY OF AND LET HERM, THE PLAYERS MAN AND KC FEEL GOOD FOR A WEEK!

We will be getting back to reality soon enough.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-29-2008, 08:16 AM

Tyler Thigpen??? :hmmm:

CupidStunt
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Herm wouldn't be so bad if he simply wasn't such a pussy.

The players DO play hard for Herm. If we had more talent, and if the HC had BALLS, I'd be content with firing Carl and keeping Herm, to be honest.

And generally I hate him. His lack of balls overshadows any respect I have for him.

Redrum_69
09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
herm coaches the cheifs about as well as mccain/palin campaign.

King_Chief_Fan
09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Tyler Thigpen??? :hmmm:

yup, I forgot that Tyler played defense those games.
Damn that guy for letting both those teams get all those points.

Thig Lyfe
09-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh, good. I'd hate for Herm Edwards to feel any pressure to win. That would be awful for the morale of the team.

CoMoChief
09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't care, fire Herm.

Best post of the Year. ROFL

CoMoChief
09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
yup, I forgot that Tyler played defense those games.
Damn that guy for letting both those teams get all those points.

Yeah asking the defense to defend half a field if that isn't anything big to ask for if its done multiple times a game.

Thigpen was a disaster......and the person who made the decision to start him in reg season without any prep at all is a bigger clown than we all initially thought.

KC Tattoo
09-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Having BJ Sams out gave a big boost to our kick return game. D. Savage should be our guy fielding kicks JMO.

RustShack
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Herm will start winning now after he got all of our hopes up for a top pick again and our hopes of him being fired

Coach
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Having BJ Sams out gave a big boost to our kick return game. D. Savage should be our guy fielding kicks JMO.

That has been well established during pre-season, yet the morons at 1 Arrowhead Drive keeps trotting out Sams for apparently no reason, especially when he is injury prone. This is Sam's 2nd time getting hurt (First time was during pre-season IIRC) and we're just wasting a roster space on him, where that could be filled a need such as a O-Line or a LB.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
IF Herm wins the next 11 we go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl id still want him gone.

Thats how bad i want him gone.

RustShack
09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
IF Herm wins the next 11 we go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl id still want him gone.

Thats how bad i want him gone.

Maybe your on the wrong forum then? This is for Chiefs fans not retards.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
This is for Chiefs fans not retards.

I thought it was implied that those are one in the same?

Rain Man
09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, 0-13 would have been unacceptable, but 1-12 is fine. You just keep on believing, Herm.

TEX
09-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, 0-13 would have been unacceptable, but 1-12 is fine. You just keep on believing, Herm.

Exactly.

FAX
09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
That's the only negative thing to come out of yesterday's game. Well, that and the fact that Albert got hurt. And the fact that Gonzo didn't get the record. And the fact that we wouldn't throw a pass in the redzone. And the fact that we had to settle for FGs in the early going when we probably should have scored TDs. But, other than that, it's the only thing.

Prior to Sunday, you could almost see Herm being canned before season's end. Now it looks like he just bought himself another whole year what with Clark going into the locker room congratulating everybody and getting caught up in all the enthusiasm and all. Plus, it makes Carl look better. Sad, really.

If only we had fired Herm before that game. We probably would have won anyhow against that pitiable defense and I'll bet that Albert wouldn't have gotten hurt, and Gonzo would have gotten the record, and we would have scored 45, and Willie Lanier would have come out of retirement to fix our MLB problem. Dang.

FAX

DeezNutz
09-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Prior to Sunday, you could almost see Herm being canned before season's end.
FAX

To this end, all the media outlets looping Herm's post-game comments didn't help. Guy is 1-12 and he's being represented in this light? Interesting...

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Agreed.

Not to mention a monsterous turnover ratio.

I don't like the fact that he is asking himself "can we really win this game?" I mean really? Even if he was thinking that...why would you say that to the press.

Yep.

Herm wouldn't be so bad if he simply wasn't such a pussy.

The players DO play hard for Herm. If we had more talent, and if the HC had BALLS, I'd be content with firing Carl and keeping Herm, to be honest.

And generally I hate him. His lack of balls overshadows any respect I have for him.

This is pretty much the way I feel about him. If he would do what Dungy did and just put the offense in capable hands and walk away (preferably the defense too, but whatever), I'd prolly be pretty OK with him. But since he goes off and says, "You can't throw with only a one score lead." Makes me loathe his existance.

That's the impression I got after this game. This is the type of article I would expect Vermeil with his awesome O winning the superbowl would be, but no, we forced a young QB into turnovers and scored against an ass of a D. Sweet sweet action.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Agreed.

Yep.

This is pretty much the way I feel about him. If he would do what Dungy did and just put the offense in capable hands and walk away (preferably the defense too, but whatever), I'd prolly be pretty OK with him. But since he goes off and says, "You can't throw with only a one score lead." Makes me loathe his existance.

That's the impression I got after this game. This is the type of article I would expect Vermeil with his awesome O winning the superbowl would be, but no, we forced a young QB into turnovers and scored against an ass of a D. Sweet sweet action.

Well after the high of winning an actual football game with Herm as the HC has subsided, it still pains me to know his is still the coach of this team...

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0025.gif (http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad-smilies/2/#)

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Well after the high of winning an actual football game with Herm as the HC has subsided, it still pains me to know his is still the coach of this team...

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0025.gif (http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad-smilies/2/#)

Yep. Hopefully he didn't buy himself another year yesterday.

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Yep. Hopefully he didn't buy himself another year yesterday.

He had another year regardless of yesterday.

JFC people.

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 08:37 PM

JFC people.

You can't tell me that if this horse****er would have went 0-16 he has another year. You just can't do it. No way. JFC.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 08:40 PM

JFC people.

What the hell, they trying to run the whole fanbase off or what?

another year of R2P2 and 7-9 and the team might as well move to LA....

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
You can't tell me that if this horse****er would have went 0-16 he has another year. You just can't do it. No way. JFC.

The season isn't over and the Chiefs are 1-3. I expected them to be 3-13 or 4-12 again, which in no way is grounds for firing, especially with ten or more rookies logging significant playing time.

No. ****ing. Way.

Get it over it, guys.

Herm's here until at least 2009.

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM

If this team went 7-9 THIS year, I'd expect Herm to get a contract extension.

Again, JFC people.

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Oh and apparently, you're one of the many forum members that bitch on a consistent basis that NEVER WATCH THE ****ING GAMES.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
The season isn't over and the Chiefs are 1-3. I expected them to be 3-13 or 4-12 again, which in no way is grounds for firing, especially with ten or more rookies logging significant playing time.

No. ****ing. Way.

Get it over it, guys.

Yes ****ing way!

a two year record of 7-25, is grounds for firing... Get over it....

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Oh and apparently, you're one of the many forum members that bitch on a consistent basis that NEVER WATCH THE ****ING GAMES.
:thumb:

Oh yeah your right, I NEVER watch the games.....

Tool

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 08:47 PM
and apparently you're one of those fans that cant decide if this team has no talent or if it is full of young players...

Just the other day you were arguing that we have zero talent, now your ready to give Herm a contract extention....

Buehler445
09-29-2008, 08:47 PM

No. ****ing. Way.

Get it over it, guys.

That's not what I said. You stack up multiple games like Oakland and Atlanta, and this looks like an 0-16 team.

Team shows improvement he stays, if they play like they did in week 2-3 there's no improvement there. In any facet of the game other than kick coverage.

Moobs
09-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Vote Herm/Carl '08.

Four more years.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Vote Herm/Carl '08.

Four more years.

Maybe in late Dec, those 10000 fans at arrowhead could get that chant going?

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
:thumb:

Oh yeah your right, I NEVER watch the games.....

Tool

What the **** ever.

You bitch when they win and you bitch when they lose.

I guess you're just a bitch, Bitch.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 09:26 PM
What the **** ever.

You bitch when they win and you bitch when they lose.

I guess you're just a bitch, Bitch.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies3/engarde.gif

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2008, 09:29 PM
and apparently you're one of those fans that cant decide if this team has no talent or if it is full of young players...

Just the other day you were arguing that we have zero talent, now your ready to give Herm a contract extention....

I argued that we had no depth and very little experienced talent.

Where did I say I was ready to give Herm an extension right now??

If Herm were to take this team to 7-9 with more than 10 rookies contributing, you bet your ass he should get an extension.

King_Chief_Fan
09-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Thigpen was a disaster......and the person who made the decision to start him in reg season without any prep at all is a bigger clown than we all initially thought.

yes indeed.

cookster50
09-30-2008, 08:15 AM

No. ****ing. Way.

Get it over it, guys.

Yeah, get over it. Enjoy mediocrity people! GET OVER IT. Why win a Superbowl when you can win....er....wait......I got it....a field goal contest!