PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Has the sleeping giant awakened?

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 04:38 AM
<TABLE class="w655px datatablecell" cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR class="bold KCcolors datatablehead"><TD colSpan=6>Rushing Statistics </TD></TR><TR class="bold datatabledatahead"><TD title="Player Name">Player </TD><TD title="Rushing Attempts">Att </TD><TD title="Rushing Yards">Yds </TD><TD title=Yards/Attempt>Yds/Att </TD><TD title="Longest Rush">Long </TD><TD title="Rushing Touchdowns">TD </TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD class=paddedLeftAlign>Larry Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/players/larryjohnson/profile?id=JOH399484)</TD><TD>86</TD><TD>415</TD><TD>4.8</TD><TD>65</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD class=paddedLeftAlign>Jamaal Charles (http://www.nfl.com/players/jamaalcharles/profile?id=CHA561428)</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>4.7</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD class=paddedLeftAlign>Kolby Smith (http://www.nfl.com/players/kolbysmith/profile?id=SMI462984)</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>4.8</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD class=paddedLeftAlign>Tyler Thigpen (http://www.nfl.com/players/tylerthigpen/profile?id=THI677677)</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>12.0</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD class=paddedLeftAlign>Damon Huard (http://www.nfl.com/players/damonhuard/profile?id=HUA264861)</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>7.0</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD class=paddedLeftAlign>Marques Hagans (http://www.nfl.com/players/marqueshagans/profile?id=HAG044785)</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2.0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Chiefs have the 7th ranked rushing attack in the NFL through 4 weeks. As a team, they are averaging 4.9 YPC.

Gailey's plan all along (per Hermination) is to establish the run. Aside from the Raiders game (which now seems like an aberration as far as the rushing attack) the Chiefs running game has vascilated between average and spectacular.

I admit I was wrong about Larry Johnson. He was on fire yesterday. He looked hungry, mean, jamming a stiff arm in opponents' grill and finding holes as they developed.

If this trend continues (KC plays only 3 teams all season that finished in the top 15 in rushing defense in 2007), the offense could begin to establish some kind of identity and grow into its own signature. That may include getting the ball more to Bowe/Gonzalez (Chiefs still don't seem to have established a #2 WR yet) on low risk/medium payoff passing plays set up by the run.

It might not be sexy, it might not result in many Ws for the 2008 campaign, but it is a step in the direction that Herm, the staff and the players determined to go in before one snap was taken this season.

The sleeping giant of a bruising rushing attack would be a pleasant morning indeed for this team.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2008/09000d5d80b2ba97_thumbnail_120_150.jpg (http://www.nfl.com/photo/photo-gallery?chronicleId=09000d5d80b29476) LJ rushing highlights from week 4 here (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b2d784).

KCJ
:arrow:

Count Zarth
09-29-2008, 04:38 AM
We haven't run on anyone good yet. We'll find out what we are for sure this week and next.

Either way we're moving in the right direction because last year we couldn't run on ANYONE.

chiefs1111
09-29-2008, 04:41 AM
If we run like this against the Panthers and Titans I might say that......

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 04:47 AM
This OL is still gelling. We are still completely unsettled at QB. The fact that the Chiefs have plowed oppossing defenses for nearly 400 yards in the past 2 weeks is shocking, frankly, as Claythan said in his comparison to last year's abysmal ground attack.

As someone (can't recall who at this time) said recently, "we're deep at RB..."

:D

Ultra Peanut
09-29-2008, 04:57 AM
No.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm more inclined to believe that the giant rolled over and farted.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 05:50 AM
I think the D may have woke up a touch. Denver is good offensively. But as good as they are on O they suck just as much on D so I wouldn't say much for the O yet other than we played smart.

Hog Farmer
09-29-2008, 05:51 AM
We haven't run on anyone good yet. We'll find out what we are for sure this week and next.

Either way we're moving in the right direction because last year we couldn't run on ANYONE.

The Panthers will be tough to run on, but if we can't rush for 100 yards during our bye week then we might as well give up.

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 05:53 AM
In this video highlight (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80afc3ff), LJ breaks a pitch to the right for huge gains at :42 and 2:20 - nearly identical to the play he ripped for 65 yards yesterday (his career long). Whatever that play is called, I hope they keep running it.

A special kudos to rookie OLT Brandon Albert, who in the same video pancakes two Falcon defenders at 2:42 into the video. Impressive. This rushing attack has some promise.

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 05:56 AM
I think the D may have woke up a touch. Denver is good offensively. But as good as they are on O they suck just as much on D so I wouldn't say much for the O yet other than we played smart.

Oh the D looks awful. Gave up something like 465 yards to the donx at Arrowhead. Without those 4 turnovers, Denver plows us.

But ya have to like the way the running game is coming on.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Oh the D looks awful. Gave up something like 465 yards to the donx at Arrowhead. Without those 4 turnovers, Denver plows us.

But ya have to like the way the running game is coming on.

They had to pass the whole game! Yards allowed is such an over-rated stat.

That's just it, we TOOK the ball away 4 times and shit down their running game.

You can say what you want but that was a defensive performance I will take every Sunday. 19 points is just fine against a high powered offense.

dirk digler
09-29-2008, 06:07 AM
IMO the reason why the run game worked yesterday, besides the Broncos D sucks, is the fact that there was at least a threat to actually complete a pass or 2.

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 06:10 AM
They had to pass the whole game! Yards allowed is such an over-rated stat.

That's just it, we TOOK the ball away 4 times and shit down their running game.

You can say what you want but that was a defensive performance I will take every Sunday. 19 points is just fine against a high powered offense.

Easy fella, pad the brakes, we're on the same side.

Yes, this is one instance where Cover 2 gave up extravagant yards between the 20s and hardened down in the red zone. Last year's Chiefs were either 1st or 2nd in RZ stops - can't recall, so you are right, points matter more than yards, but without those 4 turnovers, Denver lights us up. One of the fumbles was after a long gainer to Royal where Cutler had all day to stand in the pocket unmolested and find the open man.

If Herm gets his Bucball system working, our stats may be embarrassing, but we might be OK giving up several FGs per game rather than 4+ TDs.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Easy fella, pad the brakes, we're on the same side.

Yes, this is one instance where Cover 2 gave up extravagant yards between the 20s and hardened down in the red zone. Last year's Chiefs were either 1st or 2nd in RZ stops - can't recall, so you are right, points matter more than yards, but without those 4 turnovers, Denver lights us up. One of the fumbles was after a long gainer to Royal where Cultler had all day to stand in the pocket unmolested and find the open man.

If Herm gets his Bucball system working, our stats may be embarrassing, but we might beOK giving up several FGs per game rather than 4+ TDs.

But we got the 4 turnovers. You can't say "without the 4 turnovers" cause we got them. Does a fumble count more or less based on where it was on the field?

Cutler had all day and threw 2 picks! You just made my point. :clap:

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 06:16 AM
But we got the 4 turnovers. You can't say "without the 4 turnovers" cause we got them. Does a fumble count more or less based on where it was on the field?

Cutler had all day and threw 2 picks! You just made my point. :clap:

Pete! Relax! Its OK!
Yes, the INTs were pretty impressive, especially Carr's leaping steal. But those are the first 4 TOs forced all year - hopefully its a trend. The great Chiefs defenses of the 90s were ball-stealing marauders - remember Marty had a gaudy giveaway/takeaway ration that was like 3:1 or something. When I saw those 4 steals, I immediately thought of the '95 Chiefs.

FWIW, Cutler had 2 INTs in 49 attempts - not really a bad ratio, especially on the road.

Still, our rushing attack looked pretty stout.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Pete! Relax! Its OK!
Yes, the INTs were pretty impressive, especially Carr's leaping steal. But those are the first 4 TOs forced all year - hopefully its a trend. The great Chiefs defenses of the 90s were ball-stealing marauders - remember Marty had a gaudy giveaway/takeaway ration that was like 3:1 or something. When I saw those 4 steals, I immediately thought of the '95 Chiefs.

FWIW, Cutler had 2 INTs in 49 attempts - not really a bad ratio, especially on the road.

Still, our rushing attack looked pretty stout.

What is with this relax stuff? Are you irate about something? Yes they were the first we forced, thus the "Awakened Giant" analogy of the OP.

And the fact Cutler had to throw it 49 times says a lot as well.

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 06:23 AM
By "awakened giant" I was confining the allegory to the rushing attack alone. In fact, by week 17, we may be asking why the D can't play as well as the O.

petegz28
09-29-2008, 06:26 AM
By "awakened giant" I was confining the allegory to the rushing attack alone. In fact, by week 17, we may be asking why the D can't play as well as the O.

ROFL

Lonewolf Ed
09-29-2008, 08:19 AM

Cutler threw 49 passes. Anyone who throws 49 times is bound to rack up the yardage, unless it's Thigpen. What I found very encouraging is that of the 49 passes Cutler threw, 20 of them were incompletions which includes the two picks. The Chiefs defense was not spectacular, but they didn't get picked apart, either.

KCJohnny
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Cutler threw 49 passes. Anyone who throws 49 times is bound to rack up the yardage, unless it's Thigpen. What I found very encouraging is that of the 49 passes Cutler threw, 20 of them were incompletions which includes the two picks. The Chiefs defense was not spectacular, but they didn't get picked apart, either.

Granted, Ed, but 467 yards of total offense allowed in only 28 minutes TOP is embarrassing.

I am very skeptical of this defense but I see genuine gradual progress for Chan's offense.

Bowser
09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Granted, Ed, but 467 yards of total offense allowed in only 28 minutes TOP is embarrassing.

I am very skeptical of this defense but I see genuine gradual progress for Chan's offense.

I wouldn't care if we gave up 700 yards a game as long as we can hold opponents to 19 points. The Broncos were playing catch up all game; they were bound to get yards with their passing offense.

Chief Faithful
09-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Still a very young team in a rebuilding mode that is capable of laying an egg in Carolina next week. This team is neither sleeping nor a giant, but it does seem this team has some areas of developing strength.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
When were we ever a Gaint the last 3 years? Seriously?

KCJohnny
09-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Still a very young team in a rebuilding mode that is capable of laying an egg in Carolina next week. This team is neither sleeping nor a giant, but it does seem this team has some areas of developing strength.

Again, the post refers to the Chiefs rushing attack, which is clearly ascendant (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=192950), and not the Chiefs team.

As you say, the team has areas of developing strength. A rise from #32 to #7 in rushing the football is impressive progress.

Or haven't you heard, we're deep at RB this year.

o:-)

Fairplay
09-30-2008, 07:09 AM
The giant went back to sleep.

CoMoChief
09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
It's not hard to run on the Panthers anymore. Their interior line isn't what it used to be. Though the Peppers/McIntosh matchup scares the ever loving shit out of me.

Titans however are a bitch to run against.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 08:16 AM
It's not hard to run on the Panthers anymore. Their interior line isn't what it used to be. Though the Peppers/McIntosh matchup scares the ever loving shit out of me.

Titans however are a bitch to run against.
We have Huard and they dont...

Game, Set, Match...

CoMoChief
09-30-2008, 08:19 AM
The thing Im worried about when we play CAR is their passing game. Steve Smith is now back and they're racking up some passing yards. Their running game is solid.

Our defense is going to havta step up that game.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
The thing Im worried about when we play CAR is their passing game. Steve Smith is now back and they're racking up some passing yards. Their running game is solid.

Agreed, we should be able to run on them, They did shut ATL down, which we couldnt. So it is up to DownField BigFetal...

I do have a feeling that he will be on his back alot this game.... Their ends are much better than our tackles.

This will be another 3rd and long game, as they WILL stack the box and force Herm to adjust (which he hates) and put the pressure on BigFetal to move the chains...

KCJohnny
09-30-2008, 08:23 AM

The Cover 2 scheme showed its mettle against the high-flying Donkey passing attack. I personally do not like Cover 2 but it can keep the score down as our Chiefs had one of the NFL's top RZ defenses last year.

The point of this thread was not that the Chiefs are a sleeping giant but that the Chiefs ground attack may be a sleeping giant. Larry Johnson is the AFC's leading rusher. Who (besides yours truly) forecasted that scenario?

Redrum_69
09-30-2008, 08:24 AM
this another rhonda the hutt thread?

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 08:26 AM
this another rhonda the hutt thread?

KCJohnny = Rhonda "Pizza Hut" Moss?

Finkle = Eichorn?

:doh!:

Chief Faithful
09-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Again, the post refers to the Chiefs rushing attack, which is clearly ascendant (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=192950), and not the Chiefs team.

As you say, the team has areas of developing strength. A rise from #32 to #7 in rushing the football is impressive progress.

Or haven't you heard, we're deep at RB this year.

o:-)

I agree the running game is an emerging area of strength. What pleases me the offensive line is starting to come together in order for the running game to be on the rise.

KCJohnny
09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I agree the running game is an emerging area of strength. What pleases me the offensive line is starting to come together in order for the running game to be on the rise.

Exactly.

And KCJ is honored to be compared to Rhonda Moss.

Brock
09-30-2008, 08:40 AM
They've played okay for 6 quarters. We'll see how it goes when they face some tough defenses.

Hoover
09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm just glad Chan is not just running the ball up the centers ass. LJ is his best when he hits like line with a little momentum so those pitches and tosses work well.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm just glad Chan is not just running the ball up the centers ass. LJ is his best when he hits like line with a little momentum so those pitches and tosses work well.
I am sure Chan really wants to run the same plays over and over and over?

Rain Man
09-30-2008, 09:38 AM
When I read the title, I thought it meant that Willie Roaf was coming back.

Shag
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Man, we should give the ball to that Thigpen guy more. 12 yds/att? That's an easy first down every run. This coaching staff just can't make the right personnel decisions at any position...

Skip Towne
09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Man, we should give the ball to that Thigpen guy more. 12 yds/att? That's an easy first down every run. This coaching staff just can't make the right personnel decisions at any position...

That Huard guy has a longer run than Charles. In only two tries. Give him the ball more.

no love
09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't know if it's going unnoticed but Mike Cox is destroying folks.

Watch that little highlight again. Almost every successful run LJ has, Cox has a key lead block

CupidStunt
09-30-2008, 01:25 PM

As I pointed out yesterday, four of the top five passing leaders from last week were LOSING QBs. That's HOW IT WORKS. Kurt Warner damn near had 467 yards by himself against the Jets and his team lost by three touchdowns, for crying out loud.

Stop bringing the IQ of the BB down.

beach tribe
09-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Hell, yeah Mike Cox is hard.

I think FB is a totaly disrespected position in this league.

Chief Faithful
09-30-2008, 01:45 PM

Watch that little highlight again. Almost every successful run LJ has, Cox has a key lead block

I've noticed the same thing. The Chiefs run much better when Cox is the lead blocker.

KCrockaholic
09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
has anyone noticed that LJ seems to break off big runs when they do that deep toss play where basically LJ gets the ball 5 yards back, then picks his hole to go through...id say Gailey has a nice 'money play' for LJ

KCrockaholic
09-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Hell, yeah Mike Cox is hard.

I think FB is a totaly disrespected position in this league.

fullback is sadly underrated in the NFL...im glad Gailey chooses to use a FB. look at the Vikings last year with Tony Richardson :) ...Peterson didnt do all that on his own, although most of it he did

Brock
09-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think FB is underrated. The Chiefs are always drafting them.

talastan
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
has anyone noticed that LJ seems to break off big runs when they do that deep toss play where basically LJ gets the ball 5 yards back, then picks his hole to go through...id say Gailey has a nice 'money play' for LJ

This toss play is defintely helpful in the fact that LJ gets to hit the line with his afterburners on. I think if you can keep the blocking up then this play will help alot. Just please Chan...Don't make this play the new "LJ up the C's ass" play. We want to be unpredictable. ;)

no love
09-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Cox catches balls too

Warrior5
09-30-2008, 03:58 PM

I don't know... Panthers D is 7th in NFL against the run (172 ypg), and that has been against some good running teams:

ATL (1)
MINN (6)
CHI (10)
SD (17)

Agree with the concern of Peppers. This will really be a good assessment of progress in KC's running game.

KCJohnny
09-30-2008, 05:38 PM

A real FB that is not a coverted TE or LB makes a big difference. I noticed that in the video too. And most of LJ's big runs were over the right side, the so-called 'weakness' of the KC OL.

Warrior5
10-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't know... Panthers D is 7th in NFL against the run (172 ypg), and that has been against some good running teams:

ATL (1)
MINN (6)
CHI (10)
SD (17)

Agree with the concern of Peppers. This will really be a good assessment of progress in KC's running game.

I ganked those stats up... I confused Pass D with Run D, so this matchup actually favors KC. Guess I better put a primer together for some better analysis.

beach tribe
10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't think FB is underrated. The Chiefs are always drafting them.

Some of the Chiefs draft picks have ended up at FB, but I can't remember the last time they drafted a true FB. Maybe I just have a bad memeory, but it's probably just your attempt at humor, which doesn't suit you. You're much more of an insult/misery kind if guy.